Thread: Historically INACCURATE units make the game unplayable!!!

Default Historically INACCURATE units make the game unplayable!!!

Not a single mod I can find have historically accurate Carolean-soldier units for Sweden They are often COMPLETELY wrong! I don't understand why. The uniforms are simple, easy to make and there are lots of sources for how they looked. So why do people have to sit down and say, "Hmm.. Let's MAKE UP a uniform for Sweden."

The closest I've been able to find was the Ornamentum/The Northern War pack, but even these are not historically accurate. (Don't have collars and so on).

I have myself tried to learn how to make textures and edit models in MS3D so that I might be able to play as Sweden without tearing my eyes out. It went quite well with my very basic knowledge but I can't seem to make them work in-game. I'm sorry, but the Swedish roster in this mod looks quite terrible Just as bad as vanilla models if not even worse.

Please, please, please someone make historically accurate units for Sweden!! Preferably this mod (if a goal is realism and historical accuracy that is).

Example:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Historically accurate:

As I said, I've tried with my limited knowledge to make a correct texture. Made this one using the Ornamentum/Northern War model, but as I said, can't get it to work. Looks like this (dont know how to remove blue lines):

Last edited by Dea Paladin; August 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: Historically INACCURATE units make the game unplayable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    Not a single mod I can find have historically accurate Carolean-soldier units for Sweden They are often COMPLETELY wrong! I don't understand why. The uniforms are simple, easy to make and there are lots of sources for how they looked. So why do people have to sit down and say, "Hmm.. Let's MAKE UP a uniform for Sweden."

The closest I've been able to find was the Ornamentum/The Northern War pack, but even these are not historically accurate. (Don't have collars and so on).

I have myself tried to learn how to make textures and edit models in MS3D so that I might be able to play as Sweden without tearing my eyes out. It went quite well with my very basic knowledge but I can't seem to make them work in-game. I'm sorry, but the Swedish roster in this mod looks quite terrible Just as bad as vanilla models if not even worse.

Please, please, please someone make historically accurate units for Sweden!! Preferably this mod (if a goal is realism and historical accuracy that is).

Example:

Historically accurate:

As I said, I've tried with my limited knowledge to make a correct texture. Made this one using the Ornamentum/Northern War model, but as I said, can't get it to work. Looks like this (dont know how to remove blue lines):

Wow.. beautifully made model you got there, good Sir. Yes, it is frustrating to see your favorite nation not having their proper realistic regimental uniforms.. Imagine playing Spain, that has hundreds of regiments with different colours!! You'd be totally depressed!

Thank you With permission from the original model creator I'd be more than happy to donate my texture to this mod. IF someone were to know how to add the model and texture to the game. I've tried following tutorials, no luck. The fact the ImageShack have removed all their images and replaced them with advertisement-boxes doesn't exactly make image-based tutorials easier to follow.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

The goal in I.S, and the reason why the mod is so long to develop, is that we try to use correct models and not relying on texture change.
    You can have a look the the "model library" in my signature to have access to "free to use" models.

About modeling, you can have a look to the "Modeling Tutorial" link too.
    I can teach you some basis and help with advices, but what is needed first is a hard-headed motivation.

About Sweden faction, you can discuss unit roster, building chains and technology trees in the Sweden - Information & Discussion thread.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    The goal in I.S, and the reason why the mod is so long to develop, is that we try to use correct models and not relying on texture change.
    You can have a look the the "model library" in my signature to have access to "free to use" models.

About modeling, you can have a look to the "Modeling Tutorial" link too.
    I can teach you some basis and help with advices, but what is needed first is a hard-headed motivation.

About Sweden faction, you can discuss unit roster, building chains and technology trees in the Sweden - Information & Discussion thread.
    Thanks for reply. The problem here is that BOTH model and texture in I.S are completely incorrect. The problem is also that I have followed tutorials but it still doesn't work. Maybe you can try to add this model and texture to see if it works? Maybe something is wrong with the model, I don't know. But maybe it works if you know how to add a unit. I'll attach the files I appreciate any help. I've been trying to solve this for many weeks... Swedishline.rar

Thanks for reply. The problem here is that BOTH model and texture in I.S are completely incorrect.
    We have not worked on Sweden Faction yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    We have not worked on Sweden Faction yet.
    What do you mean? There are models for Sweden, and the mod is not in beta? Or am I mistaken :/

EDIT: Can someone please maybe help me add the model and texture for the swedish units instead of the model in picture 1 under example? I really want to play this mod but as a university history student it really pains me to see these models... :/
    Last edited by Dea Paladin; August 19, 2015 at 08:12 PM.

What do you mean? There are models for Sweden, and the mod is not in beta? Or am I mistaken :/
    If you read our information thread here, it states;
    The mod was, for now, stopped at the 2.2.1b release, also seeing that the team does not count too many members, the work is advancing slowly, that is why we take the decision to release the IS III step by step, part to part, thanks to patch and complements.

It will be a long way in order to attain the 3.0 (final) version, and so as to reach this goal. starting with a 2.2.1b Version.
    v2.0 was the last full version created. After 2.0 a decision was made to do a complete overall of the mod. It was decided that each upgrade would be a 2."x" to indicate the point of development. We completely (mostly) two factions, Britain and France. About a year ago, a decision was made to create a late campaign; Rise of the Republic. We also decided that we will complete all of the factions for the late campaign. We are currently working on completing Rise of the Republic, then we will complete the early period units. This is why we do not have a "beta" although, Rise of the Republic current version is a Beta.

As the information states, it is a long journey and it has been a long journey. We have lost and gained over dozen modders and we are always looking for more 2d and 3d artists, as well as, historical researchers. To help this process we invite people to share what they know so that we can have the most accurate portrayal as possible. Wangrin linked the thread in his previous response.

EDIT: Can someone please maybe help me add the model and texture for the swedish units instead of the model in picture 1 under example? I really want to play this mod but as a university history student it really pains me to see these models... :/[/QUOTE]

Wangrin is the expert. His offer is genuine!

I have a dream that one day I may play ETW with correct uniforms... I've made both an edited model and texture, and asked for help from many modders, KLA and so on, but noone will help me. Why is there not a single mod that has historical uniforms...?

Thank you anyway, I will have to go back to playing Total War Attila i guess. Very sad for me because I love etw...

I have a dream that one day I may play ETW with correct uniforms... I've made both an edited model and texture, and asked for help from many modders, KLA and so on, but noone will help me. Why is there not a single mod that has historical uniforms...?

Thank you anyway, I will have to go back to playing Total War Attila i guess. Very sad for me because I love etw...
    #1: In Post 4 Wangrin responded to your request, but instead of explaining the problem you insisted he do it for you. That's the wrong move.
    #2: It takes time to create models and textures. It takes time to do correct historical research. We have been working on this for many years (not months). Our created models and textures are by far the best created anywhere on TWC. When Sweden is done you will most certainly be in awe. Enjoy Attila.

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Well before 1709 the uniform was not standardized as the ones you're showing, they had a variety of colors and looks depending on what regiment they belonged to!
    Here's some uniforms from the battle of Narva year 1700.
    http://tacitus.nu/karoliner/slag/Narva/svenskar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Slashas View Post
    Well before 1709 the uniform was not standardized as the ones you're showing, they had a variety of colors and looks depending on what regiment they belonged to!
    We have not worked on Sweden to date. What you see is pretty much vanilla. Flikitos did upgrade the textures for a consistent "look", but the models are vanilla.
    The next update would be for Rise of the Republic. It will include the completed late rosters for Britain and France and The German states. They may be another ready by then. Russia late units are also being developed as well. Other factions like Austria, Prussia are in the planning stage and Portugal is being researched as well. I do not anticipate any work being on Sweden for some time. Wangrin as included a link if you would like to contribute information regarding Sweden.

Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Slashas View Post
    Well the uniforms are pretty much the same, with some color variation and two different types of hats. My thought was at least adding the standard karoliner uniform, and then afterwards perhaps start adding the different regiments.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    We have not worked on Sweden to date. What you see is pretty much vanilla. Flikitos did upgrade the textures for a consistent "look", but the models are vanilla.
    The next update would be for Rise of the Republic. It will include the completed late rosters for Britain and France and The German states. They may be another ready by then. Russia late units are also being developed as well. Other factions like Austria, Prussia are in the planning stage and Portugal is being researched as well. I do not anticipate any work being on Sweden for some time. Wangrin as included a link if you would like to contribute information regarding Sweden.

Thank you for your input!
    If someone were to assist me with modding tutorials and such so that I may learn to add models, I am more than happy to volounteer in creating and entire, at least early/middle roster for Sweden. If we were to get permission from Johan217, the original creator of the model I edited, then this will be quite easy. My help would also include all historical research with regards to Sweden. As I have said, I am studying towards becoming a historian and I am quite knowledgeable in Swedish history.

The problem for me regarding my model is that I cannot seem to get it to work in-game. I have followed several tutorials more than once but as I already explained, I suspect maybe something is wrong with the actual model (because of my lacking skills, maybe I did something wrong in MS3D). That's why I asked if someone maybe could try adding the model and texture to see if it would work.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Models for late swedish are done.
    But we have not worked on early and mid era rosters.

The first task is to define the unit roster according to I.S rules (eg. we cannot represent all regiments, we can only represent main unit types. diversity can be added through regional recruitment system).
    The second task is to gather documentation (pictures, descriptions, etc.) after agreeing on the unit roster.
    The third step is about creating/reworking models.
    The fourst step is about creating texture.
    The last step is to create the pack file.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

I understand your frustration. I also had to mod ETW a bit so it would have proper uniforms
    Here's my work. I gave the Ornamentum swedish soldiers a collar and "painted" over the gaitiers so they appear to be shoes. Also made a new officer from the cavalryman model
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Empire 2014-08-09 17-34-58-92.jpg  
    Last edited by the new username; August 22, 2015 at 02:19 PM.

Really nice looking unit there too! Damn jealous not to be able to mod like you guys. So bloody tempting to try it.

There is the Pirates Über Alles & Russian Сompany . That has created a few Swedish units, now I'm no expert, but they did make some historic units. Maybe it would be nice to ask our Russian friends if they can lend us thier units? http://anthropolgames.ucoz.ru/forum/33-180-1