Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future lord of the rings mod for warhammer

Icon7 Future lord of the rings mod for warhammer

I know everyone has wanted a completed TATW mod since medieval 2 kingdoms but to be honest there wouldn't have been much of a change in terms of troops, siege engines, cities and landscapes if it were created on rome 2 / attila. BUT NOW, seeing "The battle of Black Fire Pass" on youtube and the kind of units and landscapes which have never been seen before in any previous total war I think a TATW mod for this would result in the closest representation of middle earth ever created in total war.
    Imagine seeing the Witch-King of Angmar and his Nazgul followers on Fellbeasts actually flying along with Gandalf using spells whilst he fights them off.

Default Re: Future lord of the rings mod for warhammer

Aren't people feeling a little burnt out from lord of the rings yet? Isnt that universe feeling a little stale by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Skowdey View Post
    Aren't people feeling a little burnt out from lord of the rings yet? Isnt that universe feeling a little stale by now?
    100% Clearly not judging by the amount of posts here on the forums in the last year about lord of the rings mods.

Edit: I personally don't know anything about warhammer and haven't really got any care for it at the moment, I thought it was just a bunch of action figures...lol. My only real interest for this total war is the potential it holds to create amazing mods, or more specifically the one i'm most interested in; a lord of the rings mod. Perhaps thats why i'm still tied up on the lord of the rings universe and am not as excited by the warhammer lore and details as everyone else, because I never really took an interest to any others. But i'm still going to buy the game because I like the new mechanics even if there will be no new TATW.
    Last edited by Centurio (Latin); July 30, 2015 at 07:00 PM.

You are dependent on whether CA decides to use false advertising of 'The most moddable Total war to date' Again as they did for R2/Atilla. Which it wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    You are dependent on whether CA decides to use false advertising of 'The most moddable Total war to date' Again as they did for R2/Atilla. Which it wasnt.
    Sadly you are right. However a few skin changes would suffice for me personally initially, such as having nazgul and gandalf and some basic army troops redocarated to represent mordor and Gondor, and then of course later on with luck other armies such as the elves, dwarves and more human factions along with siege weapons, cities and heroes.
    Last edited by Centurio (Latin); July 30, 2015 at 07:10 PM.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

I have a niggling suspicion that this will be the least moddable Total Wars to date simply because of the project's affiliation with Games Workshop. As I understand they are the kind of company who viciously defends their IP and who have never been terribly conscientious about communities or fanbases of their products. They certainly would not want modders to reproduce Warhammer Fantasy units that are free to download. They will want any extra units to be sold through DLC so as to maximise the profit they get from their IP. I would hazard a guess that the very fact TW:W is a 3 part game is, in part (not entirely) because it fits their ambition to milk the brand as much as they can. From what I can tell CA haven't said anything with regards to modding of Total War: Warhammer either. I should expect they sorted out the whole modding them when signing their contract with GW for this project so I'm pretty sure it's a set-in-stone thing that CA could easily reveal but may not want to overtly. For all the aforementioned reasons I would not be surprised if there was very limited integrated Steam Workshop functionality for this title and a lack of proper mod tools outside of a map generator and a unit painter.
    Last edited by Evan MF; August 03, 2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio (Latin) View Post
    100% Clearly not judging by the amount of posts here on the forums in the last year about lord of the rings mods.

Edit: I personally don't know anything about warhammer and haven't really got any care for it at the moment, I thought it was just a bunch of action figures...lol. My only real interest for this total war is the potential it holds to create amazing mods, or more specifically the one i'm most interested in; a lord of the rings mod. Perhaps thats why i'm still tied up on the lord of the rings universe and am not as excited by the warhammer lore and details as everyone else, because I never really took an interest to any others. But i'm still going to buy the game because I like the new mechanics even if there will be no new TATW.
    Warhammer is what LOTR would be like if LOTR was interesting.

I know everyone has wanted a completed TATW mod since medieval 2 kingdoms but to be honest there wouldn't have been much of a change in terms of troops, siege engines, cities and landscapes if it were created on rome 2 / attila. BUT NOW, seeing "The battle of Black Fire Pass" on youtube and the kind of units and landscapes which have never been seen before in any previous total war I think a TATW mod for this would result in the closest representation of middle earth ever created in total war.
    Imagine seeing the Witch-King of Angmar and his Nazgul followers on Fellbeasts actually flying along with Gandalf using spells whilst he fights them off.
    Why? LoTR is kinda generic compared to Warhammer.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

Yeah, Warhammer is kind of Lord of the Rings on steroids. I was a fan way back in the 80s when I was a teenager but now I'm quite looking forward to the Total War version. It might be quite nice to free ourselves from the "historical plausibility" aspect of the previous titles and just go crazy!

Sounds boring.

Also Gandalf is probably one of the lamest Wizards in any fantasy setting.

Wondering when the last user on this forum will get that TW:W wont have any mod support at all.
    We won't get modding tools, we probably won't even get the Steam Workshop. I mean there is the possibility that some guy will figure out how to modify it anyway but I highly doubt that there will be a whole conversion of it...

Other than that - I too think that Warhammer is the superior setting for a TW in comparison to LotR.

Really ? why woud anyone wan't such mod ? the Tatw is just a boring,flat and grey version of Warhammer .
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Can everyone just get in the bin with slating each others preferences?

I like Strawberry Ice Cream. Doesn't mean that those who prefer Chocolate are idiots or lame, or boring, or flat, or whatever inferring you lot are doing.

It's unlikely that the game will be moddable to the extent that Middle Earth will be represented on the map.

I love a good mod, but lets, for the very least, wait until we know if this game is good...witch so far, i get a sneaking feeling it wont be.

Shameless self promotion for my LP channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClE...NDSg/playlists

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Well I quite like the more restrained fantasy of the Middle Earth setting. It feels more mature and less corporate-driven because creatives such as Peter Jackson are limited by Tolkein's books. I'm not saying Peter Jackson's depiction doesn't push the Middle Earth lore to its boundaries or is necessarily 'mature' in all places, certainly nowhere near in the Hobbit actually, in my opinion however it just feels a lot more coherent and consistent from an outsider-to-warhammer perspective. My perception is that the lore of Warhammer Fantasy is highly driven by the whim's of GW executives and not as from-the-heart as Tolkein's universe. Don't mistake me for hating Warhammer's universe though, I would enjoy a well done Warhammer Total War-type game easily and find a couple of the factions quite cool based on the research I've done.
    Last edited by Evan MF; August 03, 2015 at 09:14 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I'm very familiar with both warhammer and LotR I've also player both TATW amd CoW. Generally I think LotR is the better fantasy universe and TatW is the better TW experience compared to CoW.

Not to say I dislike warhammer or CoW in any way, but when you are up aganst the best, 2nd place is not bad.
    Last edited by Påsan; August 04, 2015 at 02:23 AM.

Forget about it. Changing the map will be downright impossible.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Middle Earth is a very coherent and mature fantasy universe primarily because Tolkien spent so much effort on world building. Frankly, as far as adventure novels go, I don't think the actual story content of The Lord of the Rings novels was particularly interesting or well written. I mean, of course, mechanically it was just fine, but from a style standpoint I didn't like it much.

However, the history, the lore, it's all very detailed and in-depth. Warhammer cannot compare.

However, Warhammer is definitely the better setting for a Total War game, and that is partially because of the less restraining, comprehensive lore. In Warhammer, a war between the Empire and High Elves is perfectly plausible. But a war between Gondor and Elrond? Nonsense.

Either a Lord of the Rings Total War would have to completely break immersion by discarding important lore, or it would have to lock factions into alliances with each other, so that Mithlond doesn't annex the Shire, or Rohan take Minas Tirith. Neither sounds particularly interesting to me.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

It is facinting though.. that while people argue LotR does not fit the TW formula, the most popular and arguably best mod of any game in the franchise is just that, a LotR mod

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    It is facinting though.. that while people argue LotR does not fit the TW formula, the most popular and arguably best mod of any game in the franchise is just that, a LotR mod
    TW games cover every popular time period. So naturally the most popular mods who don't fix the initial game (like DEI or SS) are fantasy conversions. TATW is the superior mod to CoW(or RodG), but that has nothing to do with the lore in itself.
    Take Mount and Blade Warband as an example. In the top listed mods for Warband the best LotR mod is in Alpha stage (and seemingly not updated since 2013) while the best Warhammer mod is ranked third.
    The reason is quite simple. LotR doesn't make any sense with a sandbox setting like M&B. Do you really want Mordor Orcs and Gondor Citadel Guards fighting side by side? Do you really want Rohan allying to Isenguard to take out The Shire?
    I don't...

Warhammer on the other side is a different story because even Orcs and Empire fought side by side at a certain point. While some alliances are far more unlikely it is still possible and plausible.
    Last edited by Saurus; August 04, 2015 at 10:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast