Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community Campaign Map with Area of Recruitment/Unit Resources

Faridus's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Community Campaign Map with Area of Recruitment/Unit Resources

Many thanks Swiss,
    I just gave it a try and it has worked without a crash!
    This is going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Faridus View Post
    Many thanks Swiss,
    I just gave it a try and it has worked without a crash!
    This is going to be fun.
    Good to read that it worked!

Yes you don't even have to touch the startpos.esf file and you can choose from all these AOR-Region values which we have pre-defined.

Hi Swiss,
    As previously stated in my post earlier, I added your whole pack into my data folder and used the AOR-Region values (ex: AOR_italia, AOT_gaul...etc) for the units I wanted to recruit in specific areas.
    It seemed to work fine.

There is an issue with PFM 3.5.1 and land_units_tables since TWA was patched to 3.0 or 3.1. You have to use the assembly kit to work on land_units_tables!
    Even though it was a hassle, I have been able to work on some stuff I was interested in. But then, it just went from bad to worse. Tables I was working on with AK started crashing my game at start up.
    I uninstalled, then reinstalled AK and it just did not work! read posts/forums and found a way to roll back TWA to a previous patch (2.1).
    I've only been using PFM now, which is more convenient, but for some reason _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 has been crashing now!

I removed all other mods/packs and only left your mod pack, the game starts, goes to main menu and as soon as a click on grand campaign, the game crashes.
    Is _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 specific to TWA 3.0 or 3.1?
    Is there anything else I can try to figure out what the problem is?

I would really appreciate your help.

I recommend that you build your own land_units table again with the new PFM 3.5.2:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14727233

Several issues (example land_units) have been fixed which I reported/tested together with Daniu:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14722301

The _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 is at the moment specific to TWA 3.0 and I need to update it to the new patch. But there were only very tiny and minor changes in the last patch in the startpos.esf file. The "The last Roman" startpos.esf file didn't changed in the last patch.

I tried it also to start a new campaign with the _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 after the last patch and it works fine for me.

Glad to know PFM was updated, that will avoid a lot of hassle!
    Not sure if you are interested in some results I came across through trial and error, you can find it here.
    Again, thank you Swiss and Daniu for working on PFM.

EDIT:
    I updated my game to 3.1 and placed _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 in the data folder with no other mods. The game starts fine, but then when I hit Grand Campaign, it crashes.
    Last edited by Faridus; October 13, 2015 at 09:43 PM.

This is strange as Ahiga and I don't have any problems with both current _TWC_AOR_* mods if we start new campaigns. Also no other users reported similar issues. I used the community startpos mods also for my own AOR Mods here which fully work.

I look that I'll find some time this week to adapt the _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2 to the latest patch.

When in doubt, uninstall then reinstall!
    I guess my game got corrupted after all the starting-restarting or something. I uninstalled the game and redownloaded it from steam, this time the "no beta" version.
    Your AOR mod has been working, so far no crashes.
    It did however crash when I entered 2 different resources for the same unit. I was experimenting with att_rom_limitanei_borderguards, I gave it AOR_Britannia first and worked just fine. The unit appeared in the recruitment panel in Britannia only.
    Then I added AOR_Italia to see if the unit would be recruitable both in Britannia and Italia only, the game crashed on loading.
    Can you make a single unit recruitable in more than one AOR by adding several resource values to the region_unit_resource_requirement column?

When in doubt, uninstall then reinstall!
    I guess my game got corrupted after all the starting-restarting or something. I uninstalled the game and redownloaded it from steam, this time the "no beta" version.
    Your AOR mod has been working, so far no crashes.
    It did however crash when I entered 2 different resources for the same unit. I was experimenting with att_rom_limitanei_borderguards, I gave it AOR_Britannia first and worked just fine. The unit appeared in the recruitment panel in Britannia only.
    Then I added AOR_Italia to see if the unit would be recruitable both in Britannia and Italia only, the game crashed on loading.
    Can you make a single unit recruitable in more than one AOR by adding several resource values to the region_unit_resource_requirement column?
    Good that it works.

Here is something which helps sometimes instead of completely re-installing the games:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If your game crashes you should re-download changed "vanilla" files and verify the integrity of the game:

> Open Steam > click on my games > right-click on Attila > left-click on properties > then look for the Local files tab and click on Verify the integrity of the game cache

There you can re-check the integrity of your Attila files. It takes some time, but after updating you have again all proper vanilla files.

No it's technically not possible to add more than one AOR_* value into the region_unit_resource_requirement column of the *main_units table. There can only be one entry.

But you can create your own new AOR_* values:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Create a new custom AOR_* value and add it to the db table: region_unit_resources

In your case for example: AOR_Britannia_Italia

Then you have to add this value to the startpos.esf file in all your wanted regions.

> "How do I go and change unit resource assignments on the campaign map?"

Open the _TWC_AOR_Startpos_V2.pack with the Pack File Manager or the EditSF tool.

Open the following drop-down menus:

CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS > COMPRESSED_DATA > CAMPAIGN_ENV > CAMPAIGN_MODEL > WORLD > REGION_MANAGER > REGION_ARRAY

Then open up regions_array - 0 through 185. Click on the REGION drop-down menu within it. Look for the first line below a series of 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. In our pack it will contain the AOR_* entries. That is what you edit to add/remove an unit resource.

For further information you can download my Excel sheet:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6u5l91..._community.xls

I listed there all our pre-defined custom AOR_* values which Ahiga and I added to the startpos.esf file. I figured out all provinces numbers in the column C "STARTPOS REG_ARRAY". There you see which number is related to which province to easily find them in the startpos.esf file.

You can add several AOR_* codes separated with a space.

If you did all this above then you can add your own custom AOR_Britannia_Italia value to your *main_units table in the column region_unit_resource_requirement. Then your unit will show up in all regions which you customized in the startpos.esf file.

The startpos.esf file gets only loaded once when you start a new campaign.

> What happens if CA will release a new patch?

Your ongoing campaigns will still work after the next patch from CA, but CA's new changes do only apply after we modders updated our startpos.esf files and a new campaign has been started. So if CA makes crucial changes in the campaigns, then we all need to start a new campaign that these changes apply. This system has been always like this.

Thanks Swiss,
    I followed your instructions and so far it's been working. The entry(resource) added to region_array also needs to be added to the region_unit_resources table.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Swiss,
    I followed your instructions and so far it's been working. The entry(resource) added to region_array also needs to be added to the region_unit_resources table.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good that it works so far.

Yes as I wrote it on the first line in the spoiler box:
    Create a new custom AOR_* value and add it to the db table: region_unit_resources

of course...don't know how I missed the first line!!!
    Again, thanks for all your help...my personal Mod is moving along, slowly but surely like they say.

of course...don't know how I missed the first line!!!
    Again, thanks for all your help...my personal Mod is moving along, slowly but surely like they say.
    Sure no problem and after I read your post I checked my tutorial if I missed this line.

Its definitely been fun toying around with this. It will be even more interesting to see how the AI handles it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    Its definitely been fun toying around with this. It will be even more interesting to see how the AI handles it.
    Thanks Walrusjones! Yes the AI can handle the AOR. It just depends if the AI builds the related buildings in the provinces for the vanilla or custom units.

Most of them of them I am tieing to the settlement building themselves, to represent "The infrastructure for training this troop type is as old as the roman occupation." Not quite full on DEI level AOR, but a limited boost to the available units in a region.
    Last edited by Walrusjones; November 02, 2015 at 10:13 AM.

Yes to avoid the restricted vanilla "unit tier upgrade system" you could add to all vanilla or custom units proper own building requirements. The AI can handle the AOR also better like this, as all units have then "real" building requirements instead of just the vanilla upgrade system requirements.

I see there are no AOR unit resources for seas? I suggest adding these for big regions :

AOR_Atlantic_North_Black
    AOR_Mediterranean
    AOR_Indian

If you want to, it can be further split, either by sea regions or cultural shipbuilding styles.

For Instance, splitting the Mediterranean into:

AOR_Tyrrhenian_Ligurian_Balearic
    AOR_Adriatic_Ionian_Aegean
    AOR_Levantine_Libyan
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; November 04, 2015 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    I see there are no AOR unit resources for seas? I suggest adding these for big regions :

AOR_Atlantic_North_Black
    AOR_Mediterranean
    AOR_Indian

If you want to, it can be further split, either by sea regions or cultural shipbuilding styles.

For Instance, splitting the Mediterranean into:

AOR_Tyrrhenian_Ligurian_Balearic
    AOR_Adriatic_Ionian_Aegean
    AOR_Levantine_Libyan
    Here is the picture of the AOR Big regions: http://imgur.com/dC4Q3jO

For example the Balearic Isles are assigned to "AOR_Hispania". Corsica, Sardinia and Sicilia are assigned to "AOR_Italia". Kreta and Cyprus are assigned to "AOR_Asia".

Could you please write which AOR provinces of my list in the first post under "AOR Provinces" do you suggest to assign to which new AOR_* big sea regions?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Halberdier View Post
    Here is the picture of the AOR Big regions: http://imgur.com/dC4Q3jO

For example the Balearic Isles are assigned to "AOR_Hispania". Corsica, Sardinia and Sicilia are assigned to "AOR_Italia". Kreta and Cyprus are assigned to "AOR_Asia".

Could you please write which AOR provinces of my list in the first post under "AOR Provinces" do you suggest to assign to which new AOR_* big sea regions?
    No, I'm not talking about the Isles, I'm talking about the seas itself. So, I'm proposing that you make new AOR sea regions.

Think this way: a landlocked horde faction, if settle along the northern Atlantic coasts, they'll build hardy sailing boats for the rough seas. If they settle along the inland seas, then their boats should be light and swift, thanks to the calmer waters.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    No, I'm not talking about the Isles, I'm talking about the seas itself. So, I'm proposing that you make new AOR sea regions.

Think this way: a landlocked horde faction, if settle along the northern Atlantic coasts, they'll build hardy sailing boats for the rough seas. If they settle along the inland seas, then their boats should be light and swift, thanks to the calmer waters.
    CA didn't added special sea regions. There are only two provinces with each 3 regions related to the Mediterranean sea.

Vanilla provinces to regions assignment from CA:

att_prov_mediterraneus_occidentalis
    att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_ajax
    att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_caralis
    att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_palma

att_prov_mediterraneus_orientalis
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_constantia
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_gortyna
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_rhodes

So I added my AOR values like this below related to the closest land areas.

CA region > AOR_Province_Value > AOR_BIG_REGION_Value (a CA region can be assigned to several own AOR values)

att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_ajax > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_occidentalis > AOR_Italia
    att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_caralis > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_occidentalis > AOR_Italia
    att_reg_mediterraneus_occidentalis_palma > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_occidentalis > AOR_Hispania
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_constantia > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_orientalis > AOR_Asia
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_gortyna > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_orientalis > AOR_Asia
    att_reg_mediterraneus_orientalis_rhodes > AOR_att_prov_mediterraneus_orientalis > AOR_Asia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast