Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Idea] Middle Earth in Europe

Default [Idea] Middle Earth in Europe

Hi everyone,

I've been checking up on this mod for a while now and I've heard that a "real" Middle Earth map probably won't happen. Because of this I started to think what could be done with the europe map from attila. I'm no modder, nor do i know how much can be done with the map of attila, but I think this design a made is a pretty decent way to create the world of Middle Earth by using the attila map.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Earth in Europe.jpg 
Views:	2027 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	324909

This way the factions will focus their forces towards the enemy that they should. What I mean by this is that mordor will focus their attack on Gondor (beginning at Osgiliath/Constantinopolis) and the rhun factions will focus on the Iron hills, Erebor and the men of Dale.

I did have to take out a few factions from your preview/concept map. These factions are the hillmen and the lossoth. All the other factions from that preview are in this map. This map is of course not the only way it could be done, but it gives a good idea of how the Europe map can be used for a Middle Earth map. I really hate how there probably won't be a "real" Middle Earth map. However I think this could be the second best thing.

Anyways, I really hope this helps you with the project and I will be keeping an eye on for this mod.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: Idea for the europe map

Nice. We will make some balance between yours, our and this one:

Laetus

Why won't it be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryga View Post
    Why won't it be possible?
    Because Campain AI deeply integrated in game code and to make custom one you need an access to game code which of course is impossible. That's how I understand CA's words.

Sorry for being a little late on the train. But I don't understand what you meant. You mean we can't edit R2TW's map because the campaign AI wouldn't find its way around it?

I always assumed a map editor would eventually come out when CA would be done with its campaign DLCs, but I've heard from some people that we will never be able to alter the campaign map.

Could you post a link about CA's stance on modding the campaign map? I couldn't find anything and it's a subject that really concerns me (especially for a mod like Rise of Mordor).

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvinnie View Post
    Sorry for being a little late on the train. But I don't understand what you meant. You mean we can't edit R2TW's map because the campaign AI wouldn't find its way around it?

I always assumed a map editor would eventually come out when CA would be done with its campaign DLCs, but I've heard from some people that we will never be able to alter the campaign map.

Could you post a link about CA's stance on modding the campaign map? I couldn't find anything and it's a subject that really concerns me (especially for a mod like Rise of Mordor).
    We are going to be Attila mod atm not Rome2.
    Here's a link, wrote by mod summit member Mackles. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ghlight=summit
    Read "Off the Starting Blocks".
    Don't listen to people. They will say mod tools break DLC sales, will list thousans of reasons why new games are bad and a lot of stuff they don't know what they are talking about. Unless those people give you a link for official words like I did (anything that confirms their words).

This actually reminds me of what DICE said before releasing Battlefield 3 , why there wont be mod tools, and why you cant change stuff. They made the game too complicated to support modding pretty much, and made it so that creating proper tools for it would take a long time and then use it as excuse to not make it, its a gradual process of killing the modding community. Been there seen that already. Not good for the future of modding of the game... Just curious, is the same thing the case with Rome2 or just Attila? Having the campaign map would make the community 5 times larger than it will be if you just do custom battles/immersion breaking europe reworked as campaign map.

Quote Originally Posted by milosv123344 View Post
    This actually reminds me of what DICE said before releasing Battlefield 3 , why there wont be mod tools, and why you cant change stuff. They made the game too complicated to support modding pretty much, and made it so that creating proper tools for it would take a long time and then use it as excuse to not make it, its a gradual process of killing the modding community. Been there seen that already. Not good for the future of modding of the game... Just curious, is the same thing the case with Rome2 or just Attila? Having the campaign map would make the community 5 times larger than it will be if you just do custom battles/immersion breaking europe reworked as campaign map.
    Were u ever familiar with other tools fro prev. TW games? Never before modders had so many tools for TW games. Now we even will have some official tutorials.
    Shogun2 and Atila are most supported with modding tools by CA.

Default Better idea for the europe map

Hi again,

So I decided to take another look at the map I showed in this thread. I tried to create a map that was closer to middle earth then my previous map. To do this I added a visualisation of the mountains, which made it easier to postition the factions. I used the mountains and a map of middle earth to create a better representation of the faction in size, position an shape. This map will look and feel more like the way it should. I also added in some red dots for the provincial capitals and some black dots for normal villages/cities. this way you are able to see what city will end up where.

I placed Minas Tirith a city more to the left to make it a provincial capital. my thought on the city to the right of it was to be the eastern gate of pelennor or something simular.

Name:	Better map.jpg 
Views:	1341 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	325282

Some parts of this map are far from perfect.
    As an example, the mountains above gondor: The shape is about right, but the end (minas tirith) should end up on the same hight of minas morgul. In this map (the first one) it ends up at the black gate. To fix this problem I created another map that has a better mordor shape/size. The problem with this second map is that you can't really get from the black gate through mordor because of the water(this could be some sort of barren landscape or something). The rest of the map is left alone.

Name:	Alternatief voor Mordor.jpg 
Views:	1285 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	325281

I hope everyone likes the idea I had for the europe map and that it gives ideas about how it could be done.

If you have questions about this map, don't be affraid to ask them.

Yeah, looks very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    Were u ever familiar with other tools fro prev. TW games? Never before modders had so many tools for TW games. Now we even will have some official tutorials.
    Shogun2 and Atila are most supported with modding tools by CA.
    Yeah you are right now when i think of it, the map however is a thorn in the eye :'(

Default Re: Better idea for the europe map

Nice map man, im really diggin it.

Default Re: [Idea] Middle Earth in Europe

It sucks that in rome 2 and attila does not have southern África, So that you could make años almost perfect middle earth or at least very close to it. But great Job looking fowerd playing the mod in two/three years from Now.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; May 12, 2015 at 12:17 AM.

Privatecamping's Avatar Civis

Thaks! Is that autocorrect or something cos I can understand every word?

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

I'm just curious, is it possible to add mountains to the map with the assembly kit? I remember reading something like that somewhere. If it is, this map idea might just be able to work quite nicely. And what about water? can you add/remove water?

Credit to Noif the Bodemloze for the signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodanodo View Post
    I'm just curious, is it possible to add mountains to the map with the assembly kit? I remember reading something like that somewhere. If it is, this map idea might just be able to work quite nicely. And what about water? can you add/remove water?
    Yes and probaby yes. I could put spain under water but settlements still were existing.

Is it possible if you have set a region underwater to set the hight of the map lower, so you will get an sunken city effect you can never see or approach?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCopperTalos View Post
    Is it possible if you have set a region underwater to set the hight of the map lower, so you will get an sunken city effect you can never see or approach?
    yes, possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Privatecamping View Post
    Thaks! Is that autocorrect or something cos I can understand every word?
    I think Mr.J edited his post.

Privatecamping's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Reynevann View Post
    I think Mr.J edited his post.
    Yea he did but I am not sure why..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast