Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Regarding the "races/factions"

The humans have several states and regional variations :

Bretonia, is basically a feodal kingdom, imagine medieval France with some elements of the Arthurian cycle and an even greater segregation between the knightly class and the peasantry. It had become a major faction of the warhammer world with a rulebook so playable.

Elves :

There are 3 main elvish subfactions (each divided into various allegiances/principality/cities etc)

The high elves, who lives in Ulthuan (the atlantide like island in the middle)
    Old civilisation, powerfull mages, powerfull stats... lol, seen as arrogant by others. They have varied troops, from basic spearmen and archers to knights, dragon knights, swordmasters etc. No firearms, but many kinds of advanced ballistas. Playable.

The wood elves, remnant of elvish colonisation of the old world before the humans came, they still live in the deepest forest. The major one being Lorien, close to Bretonia. They are hostile to strangers, but have some kind of understanding with the kingdom of Bretonia. Mainly light ambush and skirmish troops with their specialty "wardancers", light but deadly expert close combat troops. And also Ent, like in lord of the ring, walking treemen. Playable.

Dark elves, are a splinter from the high elves, rebels in a civil war, their claimant allied himself with chaos and many of its supporter fell to it too. They lost the war and exiled themselves i huge magically floating cities to Naggarod, the equivalent of north america. Basically evil raiders and slavers elves with cavalry on dinosaur, corsairs, assassins and deadly and scantily clad witches (close combat troops). Playable.

Undead :

Khemri tomb kings. Powerfull mummies who have been awakened with their armies of servants. (Classical undead troops with an egyptian touch). Playable.

Lizardmen :

As the name says, two main kinds, big shocktroops and small agile servants. A bit like the greenskins. They serves Slaan, powerfull magician and the oldest civilisation of the Warhammer world. The inspiration for their look is precolombian america (aztec/maya). They also field dinosaurs and the like. Playable.
    Where are you getting that all these races are playable? They've already said there are only four playable races in this (for now): Humans, Dwarfs, Vampires Counts and Greenskins. There's been no indication whatsoever that Elves or Lizardmen will be playable at all (though there's a good chance one of the stand-alone expansions will add them).

Kislev is some kind of medieval eastern state (with troops inspired both by Poland and Russia and also a few nomadic horsemen), it isn't a major faction and while there is (or was, i don't play the game) army lists, as far as i know they don't have a rulebook.
    Kislev used to have an army book and GW miniatures, so it would be a shame if they weren't included. However, Kislev was basically destroyed completely in the fluff leading up to End Times, so...

Bretonia, is basically a feodal kingdom, imagine medieval France with some elements of the Arthurian cycle and an even greater segregation between the knightly class and the peasantry. It had become a major faction of the warhammer world with a rulebook so playable.
    There's been nothing that I can find that has said Bretonnia will be playable. The Empire of man and Bretonnia are completely different playstyles and have completely different looks. There's some very loose similarities (like they both have knights), but otherwise they are so different that I really doubt they'd be playable. Especially considering that GW hasn't released a book for Bretonnia in years.

If I'm wrong, and there is information on those races / factions being playable in this TW release, please point me in the right direction.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    Where are you getting that all these races are playable? They've already said there are only four playable races in this (for now): Humans, Dwarfs, Vampires Counts and Greenskins. There's been no indication whatsoever that Elves or Lizardmen will be playable at all (though there's a good chance one of the stand-alone expansions will add them).

Kislev used to have an army book and GW miniatures, so it would be a shame if they weren't included. However, Kislev was basically destroyed completely in the fluff leading up to End Times, so...

There's been nothing that I can find that has said Bretonnia will be playable. The Empire of man and Bretonnia are completely different playstyles and have completely different looks. There's some very loose similarities (like they both have knights), but otherwise they are so different that I really doubt they'd be playable. Especially considering that GW hasn't released a book for Bretonnia in years.

If I'm wrong, and there is information on those races / factions being playable in this TW release, please point me in the right direction.
    Playable as in playable on the tabletop.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Colonel, why is this people ready to play a title set in a Fantasy Universe about which they don't know absolutely anything? Is it so strong the company's influence on players?
    Yeah because if you see a game set in Roman or medieval times but don't know much about them you wouldn't buy it as it would hurt and confuse your little head. I'm sure everyone had a respectable command of japanese history before buying Shogun 2.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

One other question. In mark of chaos you had an army painter like in homeworld or dawn of war 1. Since painting your own armies is such an important part of warhammer. Will we have an army painter or customiser for new units as we build them?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Playable as in playable on the tabletop.
    Ah, that makes more sense

Icon14 Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Fianóglach View Post
    As long as CA still makes the historical titles, I say good on them for branching out. This is obviously a huge market, not one I'm particularly interested in but to each their own!
    Well said Sir. I am fan of the historical series, but a well done Fantasy version (preferably Warhammer based) was a dream of mine from when I first played the first Rome Total War. I'm not sure how much scope there will be for synergy, but I wondered at the flaming rings around the battle zones in Atilla. It seemed a bit over the top there, but certainly not out of place for Warhammer. Warhammer will need late Medieval/Renaissance architecture which may also pay dividends for the next historical game.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Colonel, why is this people ready to play a title set in a Fantasy Universe about which they don't know absolutely anything? Is it so strong the company's influence on players?
    I would think the game was targeting people who saw Knights or Wizards or Dwarfs or Dragons or Spiders or Guns or Vampires or Orcs or Demons and said "That looks cool, I'm interested in seeing where this is going, I know Creative Assembly usually makes good games." I'm waiting for the sucker punch of disappointment but until then I'm going to fan boy the heck out of this because this appeals to me MORE than ROME 2 did (shock.)

Please guys, keep calm, there is no need to become a Warhammer fan-boy if you don't like it, just because CA has decided to make a fantasy title! Relax!
    Nor does everyone have to spam this thread saying they aren't going to play the game as if anyone gives a what they think. Creative Assembly is making the game for people who appreciate it (like me) not for people who don't. Its that simple. They still have Atilla and whatever is next in the pipeline. Mod tools are coming next week. This has (almost) no effect on the historical series. All it offers is choice but everyone feels a need to dump on it from their high horse of "I'm serious about military history." When they probably don't even understand the difference between a line and a column, or a square and a masse. Which is fine, but it comes off as crass to say Warhammer is some sort of kids game as if video games like Total War aren't. I've been off and on with Warhammer since 6th edition and Total War since either Shogun or Medieval (I think I played Medieval first.) Its the same sort of game, the only difference is table top or digital formats.

... and don't forget that the Old World, as we knew it, now doesn't exist anymore! It's gone! Vanished! Kaputt! The End Times is here!
    The End Times takes place in the future. While canonical it's impacts on the "future" have yet to be realized. There isn't a ninth edition yet and it's already been said this series takes place before those events.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Quick question, do the Orks in Warhammer have similiar psychic powers as in Warhammer 40K ? As in, their belief that for example "Red is the fastest" actually manifest and turns out to be true, because they do believe it. Also do they infest their environment here as well by dissolving into thousand little spores at death ?

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Quick question, do the Orks in Warhammer have similiar psychic powers as in Warhammer 40K ? As in, their belief that for example "Red is the fastest" actually manifest and turns out to be true, because they do believe it. Also do they infest their environment here as well by dissolving into thousand little spores at death ?
    I don't believe so. Also, Orcs in WFB are with a 'c' not a 'k' like in 40k. I think that was to help differentiate which was which.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    This has (almost) no effect on the historical series.
    Actually, it has, as a Warhammer Total War probably means that there isn't going to be any historical TW game before 2018. They aren't going to release two major TW titles together, with less than a year between them.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

orcs math problem

http://1d4chan.org/images/f/f9/Ork_Powuz.png <--link to the picture

Haven't read the latests book, but in fantasy the use magic? don't they?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

BanditKS's Avatar Ordinarius

Personally I am looking forward to this game, I know its not going to happen but I hope to continue to use TWC for relevant information and to see any new released content about Warhammer Total War. I didn't use this website after Rome 2 was released or for any updates dealing with Attila because its just a forum filled with complaints. This is a website built off modding, if you don't like it, go mod it.

Its going to be rough on modders trying to mod this new game because CA's hands are tied by Game's Workshop dictating nearly every move they make and rule they pass down to us. I however trust in the abilities of the TWC modding community to work through that and i am betting the first mods will be released a month or so after the game is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Tzeentchian cultist summoning a Tzeentch demon

Awesome CA, I'm super excited.
    My Warhammer Lore is very out of date; however I think you are right, that may be a "Lord of Change" Greater Daemon of Tzeentch. If it was a Major Daemon I could salute .
    Excellent teaser showing the insidious nature of Chaos - I wonder how they will implement the corruption from within in the the game, certainly hope it's part of the end product.
    Last edited by Rifugio; April 23, 2015 at 04:38 PM.

i will not get this game unless there be a great Lord of the rings mod and i am thinking that will be the case.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

I don't believe so. Also, Orcs in WFB are with a 'c' not a 'k' like in 40k. I think that was to help differentiate which was which.
    Ok, so Orcs So what is special about them in WH, besides beeing one huge green wave of WAAAGH!!! of course ? Or to be more precise, how are their psychic/magic abilities different from those of other races?

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

orcs math problem

http://1d4chan.org/images/f/f9/Ork_Powuz.png <--link to the picture

´am afraid that link just gives me a forbidden.

It was probably a poor choice of words, but i meant, playable in the tabletop game, as in " it has an army book".
    Not in Warhammer totalwar (although, logically any army with an army book should end up as playable there too, bar maybe a few).

We shouldn't care about the End Times, Will CA has already said in this topic that the game will be set before.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

So when will the TW: Warhammer forums be appearing?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

And what's up with End Times? why is it so terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    The background for the game was almost unchanged for a long time. The timeline was the same or almost, from edition to edition.
    Obviously, things changed, new playable races were introduced with a modified background, some things were retro-actively modified etc.

But the universe was basically static.

They started to make events that involved the player worldwide and to make people participate, said that the results would change the game world.

The End Times are the result of this policy.

What is terrible about it, other than how it was played (wich i don't know, i don't play the game but i've heard about it) the result meant that the old world as we knew it (and liked) was dead. Utterly destroyed and modified. So, some people are less than happy with the direction the 9th edition is taking.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post

It was a epic (In the true sense of the word, as in grandiose) 5 part book series which introduces a lot of new characters and models, and advanced the storyline past the status qou where both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40 000 has been since its creation. (Basically in a reality of eternal war to provide a background for the tabletop armies)

However after each race had its role played out, and a lot of the powerful background characters appeared, it ended in a apocalypse and the world pretty much ended.

That was the ending of the last book. There is going to be another but nobody really knows what is going to be in it since pretty much everything is dead.
    Last edited by Påsan; April 23, 2015 at 06:03 PM.