Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire Mod

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Mod

I'm pretty sure, the artwork you used is copywrited. It's better, if you take some screenshots (when some of our work is done) and use that instead.
    Edit. And it should be MII:TW, not M:TW 2.
    Last edited by Henry of Grosmont; January 05, 2007 at 10:53 AM.

Okay, new update. Our new map topic here

Please note it is in its early alpha stages. Screenshots will be posted there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Brutus View Post
    Okay. I'm Brutus on SCC, and Eddard_Stark from the Rome Westeros mod.
    I'm going to ask a blunt question.
    Who here has the ability to work on this mod? Really. Post saying you can code, skin, model, whatever. Personally I'm a coder, so I dont have a clue how MII works with models/skinning, but I know to pull this off we'll need more than one guy.
    Secondly, I know form experience this arguing will get this mod nowhere.
    We need to look at this from a realistic standpoint.
    Say 10-20 units per factions. That's all your graphic stuff, all the code entries, descriptions. And thats just for a good custom battle, let alone a map, then you get into portraits, VnV, several dozen other things. So. All this 30-faction crap won't work. I don't mean to come in and shoot you guys down, but you'll never get off the ground with main houses +2 minors for each. Won't happen. Maybe for an expansion, but not now. Main factions + Bolton, Frey, Wildlings, Nights Watch, and Rebels. If we cannot even pull that off, how do some of you expect us to do an entire other continent? Get real.

Okay, rant over. Please post if you can actually do something more than argue and maybe a team can be made. Think I'm being an @ss? Get over it. On the last mod we spent months doing nothing because the people interested couldn't decide what they wanted. Well, the way it works is you accept what the modders can make and handle as a decent load. I still have copies of the old forums if you want to read pages of arguements, cause I can tell you, I've heard all this before. Just trying to save you some trouble. Sue me.
    :-) somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :-)

Well if you read the idea I had you would see it was generaly what you say here. Use as much of the original game and about 13 factions .

PS: Been gone on a long holiday in bolivia with no internet, glad to see this mod going forward.

I have some coding experience in RTW (altough not much) and amm quit good with editing pictures using psp , seeing you are the team ledear I hope I can help .

Update. For those, who don't check on Westeros.org (if you're interested, you should :wink .
    Links (again):
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=15042
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=15182 (map thread)
    The mod is progressing, no need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufats View Post
    I'm pretty sure, the artwork you used is copywrited. It's better, if you take some screenshots (when some of our work is done) and use that instead.
    Edit. And it should be MII:TW, not M:TW 2.
    Yeah fair enough, I switched the banner for a m2:tw banner and tried to give the image a bit of that ice vs fire theme .

There is a forum up for the site now too, join up, put the info up and all that jazz. The addy again is http://asoif.jamesgoodwin.ca/.
    Last edited by Thoros; January 09, 2007 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoros
    Yeah fair enough, I switched the banner for a m2:tw banner and tried to give the image a bit of that ice vs fire theme .

There is a forum up for the site now too, join up, put the info up and all that jazz. The addy again is http://asoif.jamesgoodwin.ca/.
    Very well. Thanks

Edit. Unfortunately, link doesn't work.
    Did you change MTW2 to MII:TW? The name of the game is copywrited aswell. Sorry for bothering you, but we have to follow the rules.
    Last edited by Henry of Grosmont; January 09, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

Heh no problem Rufats, I appreciate it. The website isn't working for you? Seems to be working for other people :S

Yep, working fine for me on Firefox.

Has the forum been moved away from this site to another? I been reading the forums over at asoiaf.westeros.org, is that the new official website? Cuz there hasen't been any new info written on this site for awhile.

Hey guys. i was part of the original Westeros: Total War mod for Rome Total War. It fell through completely because of a lack of modelers and the hacking of our website. We had the map basically completed and approximately 1/4th of the modeling was done. Your task should be much easier as it does not require nearly as much remodelling. Still I hope whomever is in charge of this one does take the time to skin some new units and make a faithfull adaptation. Good luck and I hope you guys have more success than us.

Yeah, most of the discussion is now taking place on the Westeros website. Basically, any and all input is welcomed at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by theeyeoftyr View Post
    Hey guys. i was part of the original Westeros: Total War mod for Rome Total War. It fell through completely because of a lack of modelers and the hacking of our website. We had the map basically completed and approximately 1/4th of the modeling was done. Your task should be much easier as it does not require nearly as much remodelling. Still I hope whomever is in charge of this one does take the time to skin some new units and make a faithfull adaptation. Good luck and I hope you guys have more success than us.
    If you want to join, PM Marcus, Chewie or me. I don't know, if anybody else is involved at this stage.

Just to reconfirm that this mod ain't dead, but most discussion is now occurring on the 'Objects of Ice and Fire' subforum at the asoiaf.westeros.org website as linked to above.

Currently discussions are revolving around the mod in general, the campaign map and choices of which model to use.

I posted this basic idea elsewhere but since this is the official forums I figure I'll post here too. Before I start, I just want to say that the task that you guys have set out for yourselves is already a monumental one, and I realize this may not be possible to do. If that is the case, then I ask for the possibility of, once the mod has been made, using it as the basis for a game mode which I am about to purpose.

In my opinion, to really give the game longevity I'm thinking you could have a mode where you create your own character, and start off on the map as a sort of neutral character. (although creating a character would be cool, it's not really necessary if it would be too hard to do.)

Now the game would play out just like the grand campaign, except you're neutral and you need to ally yourself with a side. You could start off with around 100-200 men (merc soldiers), and you could actually go to one of the Lords, whether it be Lannister or a Stark, and offer up your service. You could be sent on missions and could even ordered to participate in large scale battles, supporting the rest of the army. (the army would obviously be ai controlled aside from your own unit of men.)

As you carry out missions and advance in rank you could be granted a knighthood or even a lorship, given your own castle and the ability to produce your own units, etc.

I was also thinking maybe developing some kind of rating system, not just for how certain factions view you but how certain hero characters view you. So say Jaime's army is being beseiged and you arrive to his aid. His respect for you would go up. I'm also thinking maybe have like a talking minigame...kind of like in some rpgs...I've always thought the diplomacy shallow because you could choose to declare war and all, but you couldn't actually have your leader say it face to face to his the other one. And likewise, the way you speak to/treat the characters in the game could have an effect on the way they view you... So if there comes a time when you are in trouble yourself, you might be glad you saved Jaime or were always courteous to Robb or whatnot.

Furthermore, I also think it would be very interesting to give you some moral choices. For example, if you let your men pillage and rape at will, their morale would be higher...but you would have to deal with a loss of standing with Lords like Edmure Tully and the like. Lower standing with an enemy could mean that your antagonist would chase you around the map in order to get his hands on you, and make every attempt to ambush or kill you, while higher standing could mean him coming up to you before the battle to ask for a surrender, or possibly even letting you escape if you were captured in the battle. (I figure instead of having your general die, he could get wounded and captured since he's your main character.) Also, different actions would have different impacts on different men. For example, if you often go into battle outnumbered, and come out victorious, then Jaime might take a liking to you, but his father might be the opposite, believing you to be reckless. However, if you are careful enough to not fight a losing battle, but ready to strike the moment an enemy slips up, then you might gain Lord Tywin's respect...etc.

I also think that the importance of the major characters in the game and the dialogue that you can have with them CANNOT be overlooked. Martin's series is as good as it is because of its characters. Without them the mod would simply give Medieval 2 a new coat of paint. The characters are the reason that Martin's world comes alive, the reason that I personally can hardly put the books down, and I think that if we really want to do the mod right, we should hold true to that.
    Last edited by The Prince; April 03, 2007 at 12:03 AM.

as for the new site... For some reason I am not being allowed to post... Even though I have registered and logged in...

Wow, I was just thinking about digging this up for publicity when you posted.

Some of the ideas you offer are nice, some roleplay elements could well be inplemented. The problem is if you're commanding only a handful you won't be managing a real faction in the TW sense, in fact more like a bunch of rebels waiting to be squashed. Unless we allow a new neutral faction like a renegade mercenary band (which is unlikely) it'll be pretty hard to realize ingame.

There are however some existing factions that identified with your suggestions, namely the Martells, Tyrells, Tullys and Arryns. They are mostly undecided factions, with the timeline we start the campaign(AFAIK, before Ned's death and 5 king war, everyone still sworn to the throne) they can become the soldier-of-fortune type of faction you envisioned, helping the Lannisters when they are winning or backstabbing Renly when he messed up. Relations between characters are prolly not possible but with enhanced Diplomacy mods you can still manage a minor game of thrones with ease, complete with moral rating(reputation).

For you to post Westeros.org, they need a mod to approve your registration, and it takes time. I sent a second application a week after the first and finally get approved after like 3 days...

ok cool. And when i mean you're commanding a few I mean that could be at the beggining of the game. Farther in you could very well have 1-2 large armies at your command. But I realize what you say..it won't really be controlling a faction completely...but that's why we could have the regular grand campaign for right? I'm just thinking of this as a sort of additional mode. Of course, its easy for me to say lol...since I have no idea how to mod. The real reason i think this mode would be nice (if it could be implemented) would be because it would allow you to actually interact with other in game characters as an actual character in their world. Having Tyrion Lannister as a general is one thing... But fighting alongside/in support of his army and having him exchange words/have a nice little chat with you after the battle would be a really nice touch, I think, and it would really give the game some personality. For example, there was a LOTR mod for RTW and I dled it thinking I would be blown away but I wasn't. All the units were there, everything was there, but there was one thing that wasn't. personality. I got bored of it because it was basically RTW with different units.

As for a bunch of rebels waiting to be squashed... Not if you ally with the Lannisters... heh. But in all seriousness, the whole purpose of the game mode would be to sell your service to one of the great lords... Making it on your own would be almost impossible (but pretty gratifying if you managed it..heh) Or if that doesn't work you could simply pick at the beggining which side you wanted to work for, and then that would be that. Not quite as cool as venturing across the map to Renly and pledging fealty and your service...but nevertheless, whatever works works.

That would be pretty neat about playing as the arryns or the others..but it might defeat the idea of working your way up...as if you play as the Arryn's, Lannister or no, you've still got one of the most defensible castles and a sizeable army to boot, and right off the bat too. Plus, character interaction would probably be harder to do. As for no character interaction, why do you think that is? i mean, it can't be that hard to go into a dialogue screen and have a conversation can it? I mean the diplomacy in the game is basically a dialgoue screen (although a very very very rudimentary one.)

I realize that now, I got an email saying a mod activated my account. I figure I'll post there too (you guys have to many forums )

But basically, the whole point I'm trying to make here (and maybe rather unsuccessfully) is that we read the books for the characters. (hell Martin starts every chapter off with the POV character's name). Reading about a battle happening is one thing, but reading about a battle through the eyes of a knee high dwarf fuming that his father sent him to the flank that would likely collapse in the battle in oversized armor and reading about he kicks some @$$...now that's something else alltogether. The characters give the books personality...you guys should reality use that in the mod...(if possible.)

Sorry if I was a bit redundant, I'm just so excited for this mod it's not even funny.

sry dp.

OK, bump. This is done in the interest of keeping the mod alive and to make people remember it. The current home base of the mod is here
    (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=24)

Please, they need more modders! I don't want this mod to die!

So the main modders are inactive? There's nothing you can do about that if it's the case, doesn't mean the project is dead but "hibernating" (so long as they return) Still, raising the profile can't do any harm and could attract more people.

If I may make one suggestion though: from the forum it seems that everyone is concentrating heavily on bringing ASOIAF to the Grand Campaign. Obviously that is the ultimate goal of an ASOIAF mod, but it's a very large undertaking. I would try and emphasise more of a focus on the battle game, unit artwork, banners and so on. Compared to most mod conversion projects, it would actually take relatively little time and effort (a lot of work on banners, some skinning and really basic coding really) to, say, convert vanilla England into House Lannister, all the units are essentially there.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II