Thread: worth the buy?

Default worth the buy?

payday today got my card in hand but the reviews on this game went from a 90percent to a 55percent approve in under a month?

i dont care about the dlc's ill get them when on sale maybe never bought dlc factions even on shogun so other than dlcs link pros and cons please?

also if my thread is moved into some useless subsection so noone will answer my question I will not buy this game. i need answers and feel this is ment for general. so if you want me to support the game mods let people be honest with me please =)

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Default Re: worth the buy?

If it's your payday, I'm sure this game will just be a dollar to you.

For me this one is the best Total war yet in terms of single player. Of course it has it's faults ehm, "hacking down gates", "Unit collision" but, you won't regret on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    If it's your payday, I'm sure this game will just be a dollar to you.

For me this one is the best Total war yet in terms of single player. Of course it has it's faults ehm, "hacking down gates", "Unit collision" but, you won't regret on this one.
    i really enjoyed rome 2 despite all the hate so if this is a really improved rome i dont think i will hate it it just nerving watching the rating tank. Empires one of my favorite in terms of scale next to medival iS unplayable and still filled with bugs.. dont want another empire flop

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

Worth every cent, get this game bro. Best TW game since Medieval 2 imo...

I casually enjoyed Rome II, but Attila is better in so many ways imo. It was definitely worth the buy for me.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

It's a very good game. If you remove nostalgia from the equation (I've played every tw game and expansion since release), I'd say this will likely be eventually considered one of the best, if not the best tw so far. Definitely the best on the warscape engine. There's a lot of subtle improvements that people rarely mention when arguing about these games.

If you love tw and have a sufficient computer to play, definitely buy the game.

Its CA/SEGAs dlc agenda that really seems to have caused the ratings to plummet but the game itself is really very good indeed. I definitely strongly recommend it.

Only about 30 turns into a WRE H/H campaign but loving it. As a long standing fan of TW, this maybe the best TW game yet for me.

Pros
    - The campaign feels harder than most TW games (yes, the AI cheats but at least it fights)
    - One of the more atmospheric TW titles: the apocalyptic feel is immersive
    - Battle AI is about the best since STW/MTW: the AI uses its cavalry and missiles pretty well, protects its generals etc; my victories are costly
    - Campaign AI seems decent: the AI evades you if you are strong and regularly pairs up (or even triples up) stacks to try to overwhelm your full stack; it finds way to sneak into your heartland and is (perhaps too) sea mobile
    - Lots of factions and a wealth of units
    - Economy is tight: you are juggling squalor, income, food, public order etc with a shortage of cash
    - Family tree is back and character/agent leveling are the best in TW yet
    - Diplomacy probably the best in TW yet: faction leaders have personality, diplomacy matters - it's not just total war with all neighbours
    - Unit upgrades: lower tier units can be upgraded as technology improves
    - The birth of Attila, global cooling, corruption etc seem to promise a competitive SP campaign right until the end (whereas in past TW games, once you got past a certain point, the challenge disappeared)
    - Encourages combined arms: I at first tried a heavy infantry only army as a false economy but soon realised my skirmishers, archers, cavalry and even artillery were all valuable too.
    - Personal tilt: playing WRE is probably the most appealing faction possible for me in a TW game (Romanophile who loves defending vs AI with hopeless odds)

Cons
    - As WRE, a lot of your battles will be 4 unit garrison vs 20 unit AI armies. I don't mind it, but it feels "gamey" that I can inflict such casualties with the towers and have to grind through these fights in order to keep afloat.
    - Unit stats are dodgy from a realism point of view, as usual with TW (Roman catraphracts less armor than limitanei?!). CA puts rock-paper-scissors gameplay balance above historical realism
    - Difficulty levels are questionable: I am not sure, but if it is like STW2, there is no "neutral". Hard has better AI, more AI cheats, more hostile diplomacy and biases stats to computer. I want some of that (AI and cheats), but not all (hostile diplomacy and biased stats).
    - You can't recruit lower tier units once you have researched the higher tier ones (leads to unrealistic and expensive armies of just elites).
    - It is not that pretty on an older computer and has low FPS
    - Some mechanics (80% corruption, global cooling) are rather overdone but at least make for a challenging game
    - Not sure about replayability: once I've done WRE and ERE, I am not sure I will want to play more. Really pysched for Total Warhammer now though!

I have both R2 and attila. I still prefer R2 and even stopped attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaos View Post
    I casually enjoyed Rome II, but Attila is better in so many ways imo. It was definitely worth the buy for me.
    This ^

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Apart from a few issues which I hope they fix, the gameplay in Campaign makes up for it.

So... I... say...

it...

is...

worth...

it.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Apart from a few issues which I hope they fix, the gameplay in Campaign makes up for it.

So... I... say...

it...

is...

worth...

it.
    It's a God damn miracle.

Yes it's worth it, but it's extremely time consuming. I've played about 20 hours since release and am still on my first campaign in 403 AD :/

You should definitely try it out. For me, it is the best vanilla TW. But beware the campaign can be challenging/hard. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post

So... I... say...

it...

is...

worth...

it.
    You can't get a better recommendation than old Humble saying that, indeed it is a miracle!