Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CloseCombat for Charlemagne (Update 16.04.2016)

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v09 +submods (Update 21.04.2015)

Reskin submod keeps crashing my game when i'm entering to battles. It seems random, but if the crash happens game is over in that part.
    Tested without and with other mods.

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

You're right, reskin roman shield pattern leads to crash. Now remove them from the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Luntik View Post
    You're right, reskin roman shield pattern leads to crash. Now remove them from the pack.
    Thanks! Will do that

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v09 +submods (Update 29.04.2015)

Update CloseCombat Attila reskin v06

Add retexture:
    nordic ridge helmet (var a, var b),
    face and neck chain mail protection,
    dane axe and falx.

/remove reskined roman shield pattern, because they lead to crash/
    Last edited by Luntik; May 02, 2015 at 02:02 AM.

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Attila A
    Palatina excluded from the upgrade sequence and available for recruitment in City major lvl 1,2 and City minor lvl 1,2and Infantry Barracks lvl 2,3,4
    Elite Palatina
    excluded from the vanilla upgrade sequence.

Now Elite Palatina upgrade from Palatina.
    Required Technology New Conscription System

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Attila A

For some unit upgrade enables technology changed.
    Gazehounds Upgrade To Sighthound Spears
    Nordic Levy Upgrade To Nordic Spearmen
    Cohors Upgrade To Legio
    Required Technology changed from Mastery of Terrain to Standardised Equipment

AND
    Celtic Warband Upgrade To Celtic Warriors
    Freemen Upgrade To Sword Heerbann
    Sarmatian Spear Upgrade To Alani Spearmen
    Nordic Brigade Upgrade To Nordic Warriors
    Required Technology changed from Army Drills to Defined Military Obligation

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Attila A
    Germanic Archers Upgrade To Elite Germanic Archers
    Nordic Spearmen Upgrade To Elite Nordic Spearmen
    Required Technology changed from Martial Culture to Organised Armour Production

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

AttilA A

For example, the legions of the Western Roman Empire in 405 (45 turn)

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v09 +submods (Update 07.05.2015)

New CloseCombat submod update.

this is button "loose formation".

Use of this feature by AI does more harm than good (for AI).
    So, new CloseCombat submod mod_DLF_CC_Submod.pack disabled loose formation for melee infantry.

I've always considered Luntik's battle mod the best one available for both R2TW and ATW. It strikes a fun median between the wham-bam-and-over, lighting combat of vanilla and the grind-it-out (and rather tedious) slugfests of other battle mods. Unfortunately, it ALWAYS gets blinkered by any new patch. So, I'm assuming it bought the farm again due to the latest patch.

I hope it gets updated, but in the meantime are there any decent battle mods out there that don't have lower tier units fighting for 30 minutes and don't require that one has to practically annihilate a unit before getting it to rout? I've been playing with vanilla combat since the patch and it's pretty darn awful. So any suggestions would be great.

@Luntik
    Please make a new CC Update. V09 crashes with the newest patch. 2053

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh no, I wanted to give Attila another try, and your mod made the game crash. Not updated ?

[/QUOTE]

Btw, can't believe there's a picture of Bortko's great adaptation of Bulgakov's novel on TWC !
    Last edited by Yerevan; July 10, 2015 at 03:48 PM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v10 + ATTILA A v1 (Update 30.07.2015)

Nice! This has been one of my favorite mods since Rome 2. Glad to see it updated

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v10 + ATTILA A v1 (Update 30.07.2015)

Thanks for the update !!

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v11 + ATTILA A v2 (Update 26.09.2015)

Thanks for the update.

I'm trying out the Attila A campaign mod as well as your battle mod. I'm 30 turns in on WRE campaign on Hard and it's been fun. It's tough because, unlike vanilla, I can't beat full-stack barbarian armies with a four unit garrison. I lost Britannia pretty quickly. However, the WRE's economy and public order is a bit more forgiving than vanilla so it evens-out.

I had some initial trouble with two of the three northern African tribes, but one after doing some raiding agreed to peace and the other hostile one was destroyed. Right now, the two remaining Moorish kingdoms are loyal trading partners and defensive allies which enabled me not to worry about North Africa and Hispania.

The Franks and the Quadi have both invaded northern Italy and I barely held them-off. The Quadi have three times come close to taking heavily fortified Aquileia. And I fought an epic battle outside Verona against the Franks: their 1.5 stacks against my 1.5 stacks plus the Verona garrison. I had numbers in my favor and a decent general (4-rank Vettius Praetextatus), but the Franks had a six-rank general and had upgraded their spearmen. I lost! The Germanic spearmen were too much for my comitatenses spearmen and the final blow was a Heerbahn axeman chucking his weapon into Praetextatus' chest. Thankfully, the Franks' losses were so severe that they agreed to a peace treaty the next turn because northern Italy stood very exposed.

The Huns have so far stayed to the east. I get messages that they're wiping-out other steppe tribes. Plus, occasionally the ERE attempts to bribe into joining their war against the Huns, but so far I've demurred. Why court trouble when it'll eventually be coming my way?

It appears that CA may have fixed the issue where the ERE would have most of its armies aimlessly sailing around in the eastern Mediterranean. Right now, the ERE is in a death-match with the Sassanids and their friends. The Sassanids overran the Levant, but the ERE actually is counter-attacking with 3-4 stacks all within supporting distance.

The campaign is still very early, but so far it's been fun and improvement over vanilla.

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: CloseCombat ATTILA v11 + ATTILA A v3 (Update 05.10.2015)

MKeogh, thanks for the feedback

ATTILA A v3
    (Update 05.10.2015) new

• Increased melee defence for Scholae Gentiles
    • Approached generals units upgrade.
    • Added unit 'Noble Horsemen' (new general) for 'Barbarian' factions.

Thanks for another update, but I had an initial problem with v3 that was causing the game to not even start. I had to delete it and reinstall v2. (EDIT: However, today I tried to see if the v3 crash was a result a conflict with a submod. And I got working. It wasn't a submod that was causing the problem, but may have been a result of my not clicking on the units part of the mod in the manager.)

I've played into 406 and things are getting interesting. A single stack of Huns showed-up in northern Italy, but we're still neutral. Meanwhile, I've had a cascade of declarations of war by Germanic barbarian kingdoms. After a few years of relative peace, it appears those days are over.
    Last edited by MKeogh; October 06, 2015 at 05:30 PM.

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

Yes,
    CC_ATTILA_A_v3.pack does not work without mod_CC_ATTILA_A_UNITS_v3.pack
    and
    mod_CC_ATTILA_A_UNITS_v3.pack does not work without CC_ATTILA_A_v3.pack.

Yes,
    In Attila A Huns are not hazardous before 420. Massive and dangerous Huns invasion occurs once, after 420.

-----------------

I started twice as WRE and twice suffered defeat.

Another update.

I haven't played the WRE (or ATW much at all) since the initial 1.0 release back in March. So, I can't really tell what changes that I've noticed in my new campaign are from the mod or from vanilla patches. (Plus, I am playing with a few submods that deal with character traits and ancillaries which may also be causing changes.)

It's around 412. The ERE is getting destroyed by the Sassanids and their friends. Asia Minor has been almost completely lost, Egypt invaded, and Constantinople is being threatened. I don't how the ERE will survive until 420. The overwhelming stack-spam from the various Sassanid vassals is just too much. And this despite CA fixing the issue with the ERE having its armies aimlessly floating around the eastern Mediterranean. I did see the ERE send multiple stacks to retake lost territories, but it just couldn't bear the repeated blows from numerous enemy armies. How CA set-up the Sassanid and its vassals is pretty bad.

As the WRE, I'm "managing." I don't remember the mass barbarian declarations of war in 1.0 vanilla. In fact, I remember the AI in 1.0 vanilla being downright timid about the WRE once I got my economy up-and-running which enabled me to build-up my forces. Not in my current campaign. As soon as it hit 406-407 (is it scripted to reflect the historical massed barbarian invasion of Gaul?) many neutral barbarian factions declared war even those who had been previously "friendly" trading powers. It's definitely kept me off-balance. Although North Africa and Hispania are safe, the Rhine and upper Danube frontiers are very unstable. I've got Jutes, Geats, Picts, Frankish separatists, Alamans, and Thurigians running loose in northern Gaul and Belgica. They've managed to wrest 2/3rds of Belgica from my grasp. Northern Italy can be threatened from both the east and north and I'm expecting the Quadi, who are helping rebel Illyria overrun the Balkans from the ERE, to declare war very soon. Plus, I've got three stacks of "neutral" Huns looting in Italy. I'd liked to remove them because they interfere with public order and replenishment, but can't spare the armies to do it. Plus, I don't want to add on another enemy because its nearly impossible to get anyone to agree to peace or even trade agreements.

My economy is doing "fair" with normal taxes I'm making around $7-9k/turn. I'm using most of it to build-up my African and Iberian holdings. The imperium level hasn't really moved my entire campaign. Thus, I'm still stuck at 8 armies, 2 fleets, and 5 governors. Due to immigration, public order is becoming an issue. Throw-in barbarian hordes sacking towns and I've had a number of rebellions. The worst is when some barbarian horde "liberates" a town which has caused all sorts of problems. (Those rebels build-up their forces very quickly.)

Overall, it's been a very different experience from my initial WRE campaign back in March. As set forth, once I stabilized things as to my economy and public order then that campaign got very dull. Here, it was easier to stabilize my empire than vanilla, but then the barbarians declared war en masse and things got tougher. And the big Hun invasion is still years away. It's been a much more challenging and thus enjoyable experience than my initial vanilla campaign.

A few issues:

1) Not a fan of non-horde factions being able to raze stuff. Too much desolation unhinges the campaign. Although Attila A limits the amount of razing, non-horde factions can still do it. In my current campaign, most of Britannia is desolate. I do have a "Only Nomads Can Raze" submod installed, but it appears Attila A overwrites it.

2) Something has to be done about the Sassanids and Friends stack-spam. It's just too much for the AI ERE to handle. It's too late to help in my campaign, but apparently there are submods that deal with issue by eliminating some of the Sassanid vassals and giving their territories to the Sassanid Empire.

Luntik's Avatar Biarchus

MKeogh, Your report meet my expectations.
    I planned that the player will not have the overwhelming advantage throughout the campaing, not only at the beginning.

Imperium level and army cap
    vanilla 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 14
    AA mod 2 4 6 7 8 10 12 14 - so, minor changes.

"is it scripted to reflect the historical massed barbarian invasion of Gaul?" Not scripted, some coincidence.

"Those rebels build-up their forces very quickly". Its Like a vanilla.

In AA mod all the factions can burn the settlement while reducing the likelihood of that action and increased
    the desire to colonize the devastated city. On screens at the first page, you can see as the AI colonizes abandoned regions.
    Yes, Attila A overwrites most mods including "Only Nomads Can Raze".

In AA mod half of Sassanid puppets have great chance to revolt.
    For example in my campaign, 21 turn as WRE, Sassanids at war with Atropatene and Armenia and ERE feel good.

But there is a possibility that puppets remain loyal, as in your case.