Thread: My ideal Warhammer 40k game

Default My ideal Warhammer 40k game

There are many WH40k games but none of them actually captures the spirit of being a part of a decaying, dying, struggling imperium of men. After playing DWII again yesterday, I came up with an ideal. Make a game about space marine in which your resources are limited. The game should be a combination of the overview map of DWI and the first person hack&clash like Mount&Blade with some RPG elements. You cannot actually build anything but you can capture buildings or order your brothers to build temporary defend parameters. The enemies from various parts of the map will invade your territories, if you let them captures all of them, you will lose.

_First, you have to choose a chapter to play with. You can field giant wolves if you choose Space Wolf. Iron Hands will have a ton of good and new toys to play with. Grey Knights will be a dlc chapter because they are so OP.

_Second, you have to choose the difficult. Choosing easiest and all you get is a single space marine, if you let him die, you lose. On hardest difficult, you can play as a chapter master, leading a whole chapter to war. And of course, your enemies will be harder too. From just a normal Warboss leading a normal invasion to a primarch deamon prince leading thousand of demons and countless cultists.

_Third, based on the difficult, you can only field from one single space marine, a company to a chapter. Every space marine dies, every tanks destroyed, every gun lost...they will be gone for good. You cannot get them back. If your last techmarine is killed, you will not be able to repair your tanks, your armors or even your guns anymore. If your last apothecary is killed, your heavily wounded space marines will not be able to recover from their wounds. And even with techmarine and apothecary, nothing can be done if the damage is too severe. You will have to fight knowing that each choice you made will affect your force greatly.

_So, if you suck, you gonna lose because the more you play, the less resources you have. You will lose simply because you dont have enough space marines to fight anymore. When it comes to that, your only option is to hold the line, fight to the last man and the history will remember you as an another Boreale.

_Finally, even when you defeat everything and win the game, the ending will be based on your performance. So, you killed the great demon but lost 5 companies and a ton of relics? BAD ENDING!

It's like whenever a space marine dies in your tabletop game, instead of knocking him over, you will have to crush him with a hammer over and over until he's just a piece of trash. In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: My ideal Warhammer 40k game

Another Spess Mehreen game?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Chapter Master with AAA production and RTS space/ground combat. Nuff said.

Supreme Commander with Imperial Guard and dynamic campaign.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Surely it'd make more sense if it were more of a Necromunda style game, with all of the same mechanisms you've listed.
    Another space marine game is far from ideal. It's almost impossible for a game centered around Space marines to "capture the spirit of being a part of a decaying, dying, struggling imperium of men." Because Space Marines are so far removed from mankind in general in almost every aspect.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I think the idea is fairly interesting but it would work better with IG. Mehreens get the best of everything so decay and desperation is not a fitting theme
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Best WH40K game for me would be a strategy game with a turn based massive campaign map with all the galaxy and like at least 600 planets and locations and having all the races and armies. Diplomacy, economy and such would work like a normal total war/paradox game, space battles something between Empire At War/Sins of a Solar Empire, and land battles a VERY LARGE Men Of War/Dawn of War/Company of Heroes map, with cover system, base building possible if the player wants, planets can be sieged like a normal total war city but they wont surrender automatically after a x turn, they only get their strenghth decayed. Travelling between planets would be something like Sins of a solar empire.

Should not be hard to balance either you just have to create corruption and over extension mechanism so the imperial guard doesnt conquers all races after X turns. Similar to Europa Barbarorum, even though Arche Seleukeia has like ALOT of cities, its very much possible for the AI of Pontus, pergamon, hayasdan, baktria and Ptolemaioi to defeat it.

But of course, aint gonna hapen.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; February 19, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

I think that a Star Wars Battlefront 2-esque game where you play as an Imperial Guardsmen; fighting and dying (constantly) on a Hellish warfront against mankind's most terrifying enemies (ie, Masses of Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos Daemons on their respective worlds) would sound pretty cool to me...

That or Dawn Of War 3.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by soluuloi View Post
    There are many WH40k games but none of them actually captures the spirit of being a part of a decaying, dying, struggling imperium of men. After playing DWII again yesterday, I came up with an ideal. Make a game about space marine in which your resources are limited. The game should be a combination of the overview map of DWI and the first person hack&clash like Mount&Blade with some RPG elements. You cannot actually build anything but you can capture buildings or order your brothers to build temporary defend parameters. The enemies from various parts of the map will invade your territories, if you let them captures all of them, you will lose.

_First, you have to choose a chapter to play with. You can field giant wolves if you choose Space Wolf. Iron Hands will have a ton of good and new toys to play with. Grey Knights will be a dlc chapter because they are so OP.

_Second, you have to choose the difficult. Choosing easiest and all you get is a single space marine, if you let him die, you lose. On hardest difficult, you can play as a chapter master, leading a whole chapter to war. And of course, your enemies will be harder too. From just a normal Warboss leading a normal invasion to a primarch deamon prince leading thousand of demons and countless cultists.

_Third, based on the difficult, you can only field from one single space marine, a company to a chapter. Every space marine dies, every tanks destroyed, every gun lost...they will be gone for good. You cannot get them back. If your last techmarine is killed, you will not be able to repair your tanks, your armors or even your guns anymore. If your last apothecary is killed, your heavily wounded space marines will not be able to recover from their wounds. And even with techmarine and apothecary, nothing can be done if the damage is too severe. You will have to fight knowing that each choice you made will affect your force greatly.

_So, if you suck, you gonna lose because the more you play, the less resources you have. You will lose simply because you dont have enough space marines to fight anymore. When it comes to that, your only option is to hold the line, fight to the last man and the history will remember you as an another Boreale.

_Finally, even when you defeat everything and win the game, the ending will be based on your performance. So, you killed the great demon but lost 5 companies and a ton of relics? BAD ENDING!

It's like whenever a space marine dies in your tabletop game, instead of knocking him over, you will have to crush him with a hammer over and over until he's just a piece of trash. In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.
    Thing is that the "Decay and desperation" is all relative. If you're a Space Marine then they would get whatever they asked for whenever they ask for it. Its not like the Imperium struggles with meeting basic production demands. Even the Imperial Guard get what they ask for most of the time.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

If you want something with decay and desperation, make an Inqusition game, where you travel to the darkest corners of the galaxy, and your choices decide the fate of worlds.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by spam500 View Post
    I think that a Star Wars Battlefront 2-esque game where you play as an Imperial Guardsmen; fighting and dying (constantly) on a Hellish warfront against mankind's most terrifying enemies (ie, Masses of Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos Daemons on their respective worlds) would sound pretty cool to me...
    Oh my God, wow, wow, that's a great idea. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.
    I wish I knew how to mod.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

I would KILL for an Inquisitor game with tons of freedom, fks you could suspect a noble family of consorting with chaos and you could just simply kill them! cuz you can do that but what if they aren't guilty? how do you find out? bug there house? infiltrate it in the night? launch an official investigation calling on all the local resources or a more covert investigation with you and your cadre of agents? etc etc etc.

The possibilities are nigh on endless and that's ofc also why it would be an impossible game to make outside pen and paper but oh well! a man can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Oh my God, wow, wow, that's a great idea. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.
    I wish I knew how to mod.
    We can only dream...