Thread: Restricting Roads without using Hidden_Resources or buildings.

Default Restricting Roads without using Hidden_Resources or buildings.

Good day mappers and others!

I was very much hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a problem regarding roads I am having.

I wish to give roads to a region in my submod for TATW; Lothlorien. Now the problem is that a former mapper of our team edited certain files so that even though the hidden_resource roads is present and the building roads is present the map doesn't actually create roads.

I have narrowed this problem down to the map_ground_types I think but I cannot for the life of me work out what needs to be edited. I understand the coding side of making roads available so there is no issue there.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Galu

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Restricting Roads without using Hidden_Resources or buildings.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd_types-roads
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ct-IMAGE-HEAVY
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=1#post9581672

Something that might not be super clear from those: it needs a path that is not broken by impassable ground types (mountains, dense forest, etc.) and diagonally reachable does not count - it must be a path that moves only in the vertical and horizontal directions.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Correct, if another settlement is not reachable then a road will not be created. Reachable meaning pathwise as withwnar described.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

But diagonal is reachable for characters walking, no? I was doing some map edits the other day, trying to figure out why a road was not being built on a path that characters had no problem walking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Path.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	321040

The yellow square is a settlement. The connection to the western path is a diagonal one. Characters could walk in either direction from there but roads were only being built on the eastern side. As soon as I changed it to add a passable ground type to the immediate west of the settlement then the road also appeared on that side.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The laying of a road follows the principle of rivers in map_features - no diagonal connections. Hence it is possible for characters to reach a settlement even if no road exists, provided a diagonal connection exists.

Thank you both very much indeed.

Very helpful info!
    I was looking for roads in the various map tgas not realizing they auto-draw shortest route (and declared as hidden resource).
    Thank you as well.

How can l modify the impassable feature of the dense forest in the campaign map, in order armies to pass through it?
    Or, alternatively, use the density of threes the campaign map display for the dense forest terrain, for the sparse one as well (I already switched the .cas model for the sparse forest replacing it with the dense forest s one, but it doesn't work on the density of the .cas models).

The light and dense forest tiles are different RGB values (impossible to say the values specific to your mod) in map_ground_types.tga. Remember to rebuild map.rwm after editing that file.