Thread: Is Great Britain ever invaded?

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

Default Is Great Britain ever invaded?

A friend told me, Britain is the easiest faction because the British Isles are never invaded. You can leave them empty and nothing will happen. I said, "No way!" But then, come to think of it, I've never been invaded when playing as GB; they have landed in America but never in the Isles. Of course, I have defended them adequately, but that has never freed me from being invaded when I'm playing as France or Prussia. I've never seen the Isles invaded when GB is an AI faction either. Is there anything to this?

Default Re: Is Great Britain ever invaded?

actually i once saw France invade Ireland and then kept going Scotland England,
    but that is 1 time in perhaps 500 campaigns.

forgot to add, Maratha and some other(s) made it to Ireland, but was short lived
    Last edited by poa; February 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Reducing very much the upkeep of units or giving huge ammounts of money to the factions they have the means to embark in several invasions, but game gets too laggy in campaign turn passing.

In the campaign_ai_personality_Junction_table, there is a variable the manages the likelihood that a faction will move units by land, sea and mixed land and sea. When I played with the variables, I have noticed an increase of the number of land/sea units moving on the board.

For example: Playing as Portugal, I went to war with Maratha and Mysore. Britain joined as allies. Based on the changes of variables. GB loaded units on ships and moved them all the way to Goa to help defend my region. (BTW, you can also increase and decrease the likelihood of a faction attacking and helping a friend). In the same game, I launched an invasion of Mysore. Maratha then moved a unit to defend the capital. Outnumbered, I retreated back to Goa.

I am currently beta testing this.....

Raided not invaded...

Hi guys a newbie player here only have been playing for a few months and already absolutely love this game...best 28 bucks I ever spent. :-)

I wish I could find my way around modding like some of you other blokes have done, but am making good use of Darthmod and AUM mods respectively, on that WOW!!! what both of these two modders have done to enhance this game boggles the mind. I have Combat Mission and have been able to mod the armies quite easily with that and also a game called Virtual Skipper (yacht racing) and have become very good at making skins for that.

This forum is so comprehensive its a little difficult to find my way around...but I'm sure everything I need to know is all here. Great work to all involved. :-) :-) :-)

Anyways back on topic, I have seen Britain be raided a few times but nothing of the invasions that I undertake 12 ships for a landing. Its a fantastic game everything I could have wanted in a turn based strategy game.

Hi to all....I'm Dan. :-) :-) :-)

Dan

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Pikestance HLP_DISTANCE_MULTIPLIER_LAND_SEA_PATH?

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Yes. The lower the number the more likely the faction will move units that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Interesting, curious to see how it works.

Might depend on the difficulty though, Ive tested it myself as GB by leaving London unmanned and they took it several times, I always play on VH/VH so maybe a script changed or something? Or maybe just because i left it defenseless, not sure.

a ship in every harbor makes a lot of difference, not only does it prevent a fleet to run into it, -which AI enjoy,
    but it also create an intercept zone around the port,
    no landing can take place within this intercept zone,
    making for example malta nigh impossible to invade lest the harbor is empty.
    The way around it is to block the fleet in the harbor with one ship,
    while landing the invasion army with another ship, but AI dont know this
    Last edited by poa; February 12, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Might depend on the difficulty though, Ive tested it myself as GB by leaving London unmanned and they took it several times, I always play on VH/VH so maybe a script changed or something? Or maybe just because i left it defenseless, not sure.
    There is also a second component to this as well
    HLP_DISTANCE_MULTIPLIER_FOR_ENEMY

In the example above I also changed HLP_DISTANCE_MULTIPLIER_FOR_FRIEND This made it more likely for GB to actually come to my aid in India. Interestingly enough, GB did not attack. It did declare on both Maratha and Mysore, but it was content with helping a "friend" than attacking an "enemy." I will assume it will make a choice and stick with it. Then again, its force was "expeditionary size" if you get my meaning. So, it is possible it is a more fluid behavior if the ratio of units were more in its favor.

In the campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects_table there is no such changes based on difficulty level. However, in the drop down menu, there is this: Command_land_Command_Amphibious_Attack
    I would guess since it is something at could be added in the table, then it wouldn't be a separate script for it. Then again, I am not sure how this modification would work within the game mechanics.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Command land command amphibious attack is trait for bonuses. I have added AMPHIBIOUS ATTACK into campaign ai managers behaviour junctions on all my mods. I always thought that HLP distance multiplier should be higher for for invasions, I have is at 2-will test it with lower value. How about lowering it to.50. Also MINIMUM_CHANCE_OF_SUCCESS is key as to if they will risk an invasion. The AI loves unguarded cities and will take advantage of it.

Command land command amphibious attack is trait for bonuses. I have added AMPHIBIOUS ATTACK into campaign ai managers behaviour junctions on all my mods.
    I was not aware that trait could be added to that particular table. It does add some nice possibilities.

I always thought that HLP distance multiplier should be higher for for invasions, I have is at 2-will test it with lower value. How about lowering it to.50. Also MINIMUM_CHANCE_OF_SUCCESS is key as to if they will risk an invasion. The AI loves unguarded cities and will take advantage of it.
    The way I read it is there is a set variable, lets say it is 5. The multiplier is then added. so with a variable of 4, the determinant value is now 20. If is is changed to .5 then it is 2.5. Therefore the lower the number, the more likely the ai will act in that way. At least, that is how I read it. It appears to act that way to. Let me know if you have similar results.

When Sweden once declared me war of succession, when my first king William III died, they actually invaded and laid siege to London. Luckily I had my British 3rd Army garrisoned there at the time. They lost, I destroyed the rest of their fleeing army remnants and sank the fleet they used to ferry their army to London. They did not pursue the idea to claim London, again. Later peace was signed.