View Poll Results: Are these features popular?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • I dont mind these features

19 20.21%
  • I dont like Torched gates

65 69.15%
  • I dont like Auto crumble walls

62 65.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Crumbling Gates/Towers and burning gates..

Default Re: Auto Crumbling Gates/Towers and burning gates..

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    The collapsing towers in that video didn't make any sense. He just burned down the gates, had no siege equipment with him and when he captured the gates, the towers instantly collapsed.

That's because the attackers destroyed them. C'mon, use your imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by crucify_ego View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say it's more likely the defenders destroyed them so the attackers couldn't use it against them, but either way it's kinda dumb.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Maybe there is a engineer unit? but its still dumb. I did notice player clicked some seige, ancillery unit before battle but you never see it nor wait to build it?.

Im sure CA will releave us and say this is all not true.. i hope.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Auto crumble walls? what? Why not just a simple capture feature like the old one with no silly effects? There's no need to over complicate things on this.
    Last edited by Garensterz; February 03, 2015 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Has this been confirmed as a feature? I've watched almost all lets plays and have only seen one instance of it, in a months old preview build.

It may be I just missed its announcement.
    I have seen it in 2 videos, seems like a new "feature."

It's in this video from Monday feb 1: Maybe it's WAY WAY PRE ALPHA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJXaFTSqAc
    Last edited by stevehoos; February 03, 2015 at 09:29 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

I don't like them but I can live with them.

After all, If I've managed to survive the original Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion with its:

Russian based city called 'Domus Dulcis Domus' (home sweet home) filled with Amazonian warrior women riding war chariots.
    Bare chested militia hoplites.
    Roman ballista-chariots
    Roman Arcani ninja.
    Spanish Bull Warriors (complete with horned helmets).
    Bronze Age Egyptians - they all dressed like King Tut and Ramses II.
    German Phalanxes who fought Macedonian style.
    Roxolani Warrior Virgins - warrior women who wore blue vests and feathered helmets.
    British Head Hurlers who'd killed their enemies by throwing decapitated heads at them.
    Super powered Celtic units like the fictional 'Hounds of Culaan' who could whack 5 men 30 feet into the air with one swipe of their clubs (also their eyes turned red when they went into battle rage).
    Catholic and Orthodox Priests as battle units - complete with special chanting ability to demoralise the enemy.
    Siege towers with Machine-Gun like ballistas.
    Celtic units who all had a passing resemblance to children's comic albums illustrated by a certain Mr. Albert Uderzo.
    Clone armies.
    50 incomplete Ai armies wandering aimlessly through the map, all of them just 3 units of peasants.
    Full Ai armies that consisted of nothing but peasants, war dogs and catapults.
    Pink Pyjama Persians.
    Suicidal General charges.
    Screeching Women.
    Flaming Pigs.
    Historically inaccurate factions such as Greek City States, Germans, Britons and Gauls.
    Goths with Greek accents shouting "Hail Ares!" after a victorious battle
    Late Roman soldiers in Imperial Gallic helmets and lorica segmentata.
    Having to periodically massacre your own cities because of a spiralling population problem.
    Diplomats who'd die of old age when they travelled from Egypt to Dacia.
    Diplomats who didn't want you to attack by threatening to attack you.
    A map full of dull, indistinct grey coloured rebel settlements and units.

and so on and so on...

Sure, Attila may have immersion breaking collapsing gates, but the idea that Rome II and Attila have fallen way short of the gold standard for historical accuracy and immersion set by Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion doesn't really hold water.
    Last edited by Doe3000; February 03, 2015 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doe3000 View Post

After all, If I've managed to survive the original Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion with its:

Russian based city called 'Domus Dulcis Domus' (home sweet home) filled with Amazonian warrior women riding war chariots.
    Roman ballista-chariots
    Roman Arcani ninja.
    Roxolani Warrior Virgins - warrior women who wore blue vests and feathered helmets.
    British Head Hurlers who'd killed their enemies by throwing decapitated heads at them.
    Super powered Celtic units like the fictional 'Hounds of Culaan' who could whack 5 men 30 feet into the air with one swipe of their clubs (also their eyes turned red when they went into battle rage).
    Catholic and Orthodox Priests as battle units - complete with special chanting ability to demoralise the enemy.
    Celtic units who all had a passing resemblance to children's comic albums illustrated by a certain Mr. Albert Uderzo.
    Clone armies.
    50 incomplete Ai armies wandering aimlessly through the map, all of them just 3 units of peasants.
    Pink Pyjama Persians.
    Screeching Women.
    Flaming Pigs.
    Historically inaccurate factions such as Greek City States, Germans, Britons and Gauls.
    Having to periodically massacre your own cities because of a spiralling population problem.

and so on and so on...

Sure, Attila may have immersion breaking collapsing gates, but the idea that Rome II and Attila have fallen way short of the gold standard for historical accuracy and immersion set by Rome: Total War and Barbarian Invasion doesn't really hold water.

No No the difference is that Rome 1 was and still is fun, dont believe me look at the series that has come to pass. Rome 2 is not fun hence all these people are worried about all these silly things because they dont believe Attilla will be fun thus they may as well make it as historically acurrate as possible. Rome 1 was meant to be a fun game it succeeded in that beyond all expectations. You got to play general in Rome 1 in Rome 2 I have no idea. In Attilla maybe they will make it fun and forget historical accuracy.
    Will Attilla be fun? Rome 1 sure was and all that stuff didnt matter when I bought it all those years ago. Rome 2 sucks thats why people want all this accuracy. Its a game.
    Last edited by RogueLeader; February 03, 2015 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
    Will Attilla be fun? Rome 1 sure was and all that stuff didnt matter when I bought it all those years ago. Rome 2 sucks thats why people want all this accuracy. Its a game.
    Rome 2 was because the base game-play of the campaign was dull, boring, repetitive, and broken in many parts. Historical accuracy had nothing to do with why it was hated by the so many fans.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Roman ballista-chariots
    Roman Arcani ninja.
    Clone armies.
    Pink Pyjama Persians.
    Screeching Women.
    Flaming Pigs.

and so on and so on...

So in conclusion, you just wanted a sub par total war am I right? I know Rome 1 or BI had these stupid historical innaccuracies but at least they got the core engine right unlike in Rome 2. And Come on man, most of us Rome 1 players have been waiting for this sequel for decades and surely we are very eager to experience huge improvement on what their predecessors failed to deliver, which unlikely happened. So if you managed to "survived" to those historical innaccuracies in BI, might as well keep that to your self because some of us are VERY desperate to see real improvements on the upcoming game rather than a sub par game, again.
    Last edited by Garensterz; February 04, 2015 at 03:58 AM.

Horribly misleading! The Amazon town was called Themiskyra (located in modern Moscow), while Domus Dulcis Domus was a classic rebel town in Belorussia:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Are you a Russian pro-Amazon revisionist, Doe?

Gates can be modded to become impervious to torches, but I really hope the auto-crumbling when captured doesnt make it to the final cut. They basically removed the "neutral" state and replaced the "controlled by attacker" status by total destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Horribly misleading! The Amazon town was called Themiskyra (located in modern Moscow), while Domus Dulcis Domus was a classic rebel town in Belorussia:
    Feminists battling against Putin?

On topic: Burning gates is painfull to watch. Auto Crumbling gates is bad but I am getting used to the pain
    The most problems mentioned about Rome 1 were things that you encountered rarely. Torching is just over and over again
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus View Post
    Feminists battling against Putin?

On topic: Burning gates is painfull to watch. Auto Crumbling gates is bad but I am getting used to the pain
    The most problems mentioned about Rome 1 were things that you encountered rarely. Torching is just over and over again
    I don't know about that...I remember that the easiest way to destroy a besieging army which was much more numerous than my own without siege equipemtn was to have units exit from various gates of the city, at which point the AI would send units to kill them and go through the open gate, but I'd pull them back and simply let my towers kill the enemy. Sure, it took a while and took some patience, but it basically meant I could defend a city with a tiny garrison because I could take on any attacker that didn't have siege engines.

Siege escalation is totally fine imo and a good way to get the sapping siege equipment back in the game in a more authentic way.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

The collapsing towers in that video didn't make any sense. He just burned down the gates, had no siege equipment with him and when he captured the gates, the towers instantly collapsed.
    True, but now remains to know if it's a weird and rare physic consequence of the new fire spread mechanism or if it will be a common thing.

I don't think he did it on purpose but this prince of sparta guy just deserve a Pullitzer prize for this CrumblingGate scandal. This is the Attila's watergate.
    Last edited by Yerevan; February 04, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I don't know about that...I remember that the easiest way to destroy a besieging army which was much more numerous than my own without siege equipemtn was to have units exit from various gates of the city, at which point the AI would send units to kill them and go through the open gate, but I'd pull them back and simply let my towers kill the enemy. Sure, it took a while and took some patience, but it basically meant I could defend a city with a tiny garrison because I could take on any attacker that didn't have siege engines.
    I think I only lost two times a city in my hunderds of hourse while it was defended by atleast six units... (I play always hard/hard)
    I don't have a real problem with siege escalation but it should be longer before it starts to work
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by crucify_ego View Post
    No problem if I use my imagination:

1. Jericho... Someone from on High, made it so.
    2. Telekinetic units that thought those walls down after many weeks concentration.
    3. Stone worm. Like woodworm, but different.
    4. A wizard did it.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Roman ballista-chariots
    Roman Arcani ninja.
    Clone armies.
    Pink Pyjama Persians.
    Screeching Women.
    Flaming Pigs.

and so on and so on...

You did manage to survive the original RTW and BI because:

a. It was 10 years ago
    b. You had not tried Europa Barbarorum, SPQR, Roma Surrectum, RTR, IBFD
    c. You had not seen custom settlements in TATW, RS and other mods
    d. You had also survived Space Invaders and Pacman

Although the series has evolved in the campaign level it will never reach Paradox levels, nor it intends to. So, in the end, it's about the battles.

Torches and crumbling walls do not immersion promote.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Who said that CA uses simple logic in its game features? Next will be surface to surface Scud missiles against walls!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    I was just going to say that Xena: Warrior Princess is just anti-Putin propaganda.

So in conclusion, you just wanted a sub par total war am I right? I know Rome 1 or BI had these stupid historical innaccuracies but at least they got the core engine right unlike in Rome 2. And Come on man, most of us Rome 1 players have been waiting for this sequel for decades and surely we are very eager to experience huge improvement on what their predecessors failed to deliver, which unlikely happened. So if you managed to "survived" to those historical innaccuracies in BI, might as well keep that to your self because some of us are VERY desperate to see real improvements on the upcoming game rather than a sub par game, again
    No, I'd rather not have a sub-par Total War again, but people could enjoy Rome and BI with all their flaws and inaccuracies (I did) - they weren't perfect, no Total War game has been perfect.
    My point is that people have been claiming on TWC that Rome II and Attila have been falls from grace, that they can't enjoy or play the game because of immersion breaking things like collapsing gates, or historical inaccuracies like the wrong types of sandals been worn by Roman legionaries. They go on to talk about how much better Rome was, how it didn't have these problems, and how the historical accuracy and quality of the games have decreased over time. The truth is the opposite, the games have been getting more accurate instead. I think people have allowed nostalgia to cloud their judgement. The Creative Assembly have always made heavily flawed games, full of glitches, half baked features or broken ones. People could overlook those problems in the past to see the good stuff, but following the immense hype and subsequent failure of Rome II, a lot of bad blood has been generated, some of it a residual of Empire's failure. And wherever there is disappointment and failure, people inevitably like to think back to so-called better times. Except if you go back and play Rome and BI you'll realise that they are far less accurate - in reality they appear goofy and rather "Hollywoodised" compared to subsequent titles. They are even less accurate and realistic than the original Shogun and Medieval. As a matter of fact I remember old Total War veterans back at Rome's release complaining about the decrease in quality since Medieval: Total War.

At the end of the day, I don't think the Total War series has gotten that worse, in reality it's more of a rollercoaster with highs and lows in each title. It's just that people have grown up with them and they've changed just as much as the games themselves. How many people played Rome: Total War as children? For how many was it their first historical game? Perhaps it even ignited their love of history. In the decade since the game's release these very same people have no doubt been reading lots of books on the subject and their knowledge of the ancient world has grown, they've also moved on to other things like the historical simulation games by Paradox such Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis. They possibly played lots of Rome mods like RTR and Europa Barbarorum. After a rich diet like this, the vanilla experience of Rome II will probably seem inaccurate, and lacking. But compare them to the old vanilla games and they have actually improved in terms of added features and historical accuracy.

You might not like some stuff in Rome II, neither do I, but I could say that about every Total War game. It's just a hit and miss series. I think the point at which we should actually be worried is when it turns into something like AOE online, a silly cartoony follow up to the classic Age of Empires. Thankfully it appears the series has actually been getting less cartoony since Barbarian Invasion. Personally, for me having gates collapse (although stupid) isn't half as distracting and immersion breaking as having a guy whack 5 men 30 feet into the air with a wooden club like we had in Barbarian Invasion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast