Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a Ragdoll feature for the troops?

Icon3 How about a Ragdoll feature for the troops?

topic ->

wouldnt it be something new if CA adds a ragdoll effect for the units?
    for example , dead bodies pile up or when they fight on the walls of siege battles and fall down from the walls when theyr slayen.

a nother example would be cav : when the cavalary charges into a unit and make the troops that are hit fly a bit or make them look better when they collide

same goes for elephants

what do you think? good or bad idea?

For the Emperor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hae_Shin's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: How about a Ragdoll feature for the troops?

We already have this feature I think in Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Hae_Shin View Post
    We already have this feature I think in Total War
    nah m8 i mean ragdoll effects like in mount and blade or gmod
    in rome 1 you saw people falling down from the walls when they get killed but in rome 2 they dont

just imagine at the gates of a city......heavy fighting , dead bodies pileing up and in a moment you cant get through the gates cause of that many dead bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by reliablePersian View Post
    just imagine at the gates of a city......heavy fighting , dead bodies pileing up and in a moment you cant get through the gates cause of that many dead bodies.
    Although I would love this feature, this is exactlhy why this feature won't be implemented for a long time to come. At least not until there is a huge improvement in both the AI and in the pathfinding

i think that we should expect this improvement in the upcoming total war warhammer brcause total war warhammer gets a new engine.
    So there might be a chance of implementing ragdoll effects.....i hope

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

And in computing technology. Battles the size of Total War with the same graphics quality and ragdolls would kill most systems, Im sure.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

well there is the option to limit the ragdolls like in chivalry medival warfare

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

I don't think this is possible technologically at the moment on normal computers. Adding a whole layer of properties and effects to every body on the battlefield would break the game on anything except a NASA computer. Just think of it, currently the game can't even handle permanent arrows in the ground without critical lag (it was attempted in a mod).

Edit: 2000th post! Woo
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; January 28, 2015 at 07:20 AM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    Edit: 2000th post! Woo
    Congrats :p +rep

I remember they discussed the addition of this feature for Empire: Total War, but then they must have realised it wasn't technologically feasible. As others have said, you'd need a very powerful computer if you're going to play a game that has the potential for thousands of ragdolls.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ragdoll effects look kind of goofy if it happens too frequently or is too obvious. many games make the physics of dead bodies look ridiculous. Half-life 2 is one of the few games I know where it actually looks semi decent, but even in that game explosives make bodies fly twenty feet away while doing sumersaults. I would prefer if there were some other kind of realistic animatons which are random and not scripted that can happen. but again this is like 9 millionth on my list of things that should be put into Total War to keep the franchise from becoming redundant.

My recent computer crash in way older games if it displays more than several hundred ragdolls. So I guess its a big no-no technologically wise until computer amp it up, then it would be possible in massive battles such as in TW.

It's possible to do just as its possible to display 20,000 troops on the battlefield. A simple ragdoll limit or limit applied around the radius of the camera would be doable, the same method is applied to 3d models to make them 2d after a certain distance. Its more of a question of whether its worth the cpu usage. Its not especially on this engine. The game already lags during sieges due to path finding issues. An 64 bit engine designed from the ground up to use multi core efficiently could easily do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    Ragdoll effects look kind of goofy if it happens too frequently or is too obvious. many games make the physics of dead bodies look ridiculous. Half-life 2 is one of the few games I know where it actually looks semi decent, but even in that game explosives make bodies fly twenty feet away while doing sumersaults. I would prefer if there were some other kind of realistic animatons which are random and not scripted that can happen. but again this is like 9 millionth on my list of things that should be put into Total War to keep the franchise from becoming redundant.
    The entire point of ragdolls is that they are MORE realistic. Perhaps the force from explosions is too high, but the entire point of ragdolls is that the animation is calculated accurately in real time using physical simulations, instead of pre-canned animations, which cannot adapt to the environment (like falling down stairs) and can become obviously repetitive.

However, there's no way that computers nowadays could adequately and quickly simulate ragdolls on the scale of Total War. It's just too performance intensive.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    The entire point of ragdolls is that they are MORE realistic. Perhaps the force from explosions is too high, but the entire point of ragdolls is that the animation is calculated accurately in real time using physical simulations, instead of pre-canned animations, which cannot adapt to the environment (like falling down stairs) and can become obviously repetitive.

However, there's no way that computers nowadays could adequately and quickly simulate ragdolls on the scale of Total War. It's just too performance intensive.
    im sorry but in anygame out there ragdoll is simply not realistic looking. when you get shot your not going to slide down stairs with your arm stuck behind your back as if someone nailed it to the wall. it may be more realistic in theory but in practice it more often than not looks like this(ignoring the absurd jumping length which is modified):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

in real life when the human body dies it doesn't move like it doesn't have a skeleton.
    Last edited by RedGuard; January 29, 2015 at 09:05 AM.

Ragdolls themselves can be badly/nicely implemented.
    With proper budget it always looks better than pre-made animations. But again in a game as huge as Total War it would be really hard, even though like some wise persons said it can be combined with LOD limitations.

im sorry but in anygame out there ragdoll is simply not realistic looking. when you get shot your not going to slide down stairs with your arm stuck behind your back as if someone nailed it to the wall. it may be more realistic in theory but in practice it more often than not looks like this(ignoring the absurd jumping length which is modified):

in real life when the human body dies it doesn't move like it doesn't have a skeleton.
    The implementation details are important - some ragdolls will be implemented better than others.

Also, what you are saying is nonsense - how many people have you watched die? Just because something doesn't look like how you'd imagine it (probably due to dozens of movies with dramatic death sequences), doesn't mean that it's wrong. Again, ragdolls are simulated using proper physics. If they are implemented right, you can have very realistic ragdolls, especially with the artificial muscle controlling systems as seen in GTA IV / V.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

I'm guessing you haven't seen GTA 4's/GTA 5's ragdoll physics? It's one of the closest to real life human physics ever implemented in a game by far.

Have a look:

Edit:
    @Causeless. I should have read your post first before posting mine
    Last edited by Garensterz; January 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't seen GTA 4's/GTA 5's ragdoll physics? It's one of the closest to real life human physics ever implemented in a game by far.

Have a look:

Edit:
    @Causeless. I should have read your post first before posting mine
    well, considering CA doesn't have game thats made a billion in five days,(nor will they) I doubt if when they put ragdoll physics in a game that it would ever look like this. your comparing apples to oranges. theres nothing else out there like Gta 5. Rockstar actually innovates, rather than "streamlines".

most games just put ragdoll in to avoid making good animations. in most games ragdoll is not realistic at all because there's no inertia and they slide across the ground like they're on figure skates. so no, I don't think its a good idea to put that in total war unless its for explosions or something, I don't care to see soldiers flopping around and bending backwards after they die like some kind of contortionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    Ragdolls themselves can be badly/nicely implemented.
    With proper budget it always looks better than pre-made animations. But again in a game as huge as Total War it would be really hard, even though like some wise persons said it can be combined with LOD limitations.
    this
    Last edited by RedGuard; January 29, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

well, considering CA doesn't have game thats made a billion in five days,(nor will they) I doubt if when they put ragdoll physics in a game that it would ever look like this. your comparing apples to oranges. theres nothing else out there like Gta 5. Rockstar actually innovates, rather than "streamlines".

most games just put ragdoll in to avoid making good animations. in most games ragdoll is not realistic at all because there's no inertia and they slide across the ground like they're on figure skates. so no, I don't think its a good idea to put that in total war unless its for explosions or something, I don't care to see soldiers flopping around and bending backwards after they die like some kind of contortionist.
    im sorry but in anygame out there ragdoll is simply not realistic looking
    I was Just responding directly to your post, and I gave you GTA 4 as an example. And believe me, I wouldn't want ragdoll physics on my total war because I know I will be saving a lot of money for a bad ass video card again. Just imagine how many times per second will the physics will occur when fighting a huge army. Yes, It's a lag fest alright.

However if CA will try to make a WW1 or WW2 era, then the physics might suit in the game. Who doesn't want to see flying limbs when soldiers gets hit by artillery, like the ones in Company of Heroes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast