Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Request] Less Garrison Units.

Default [Request] Less Garrison Units.

Simple request. This is pretty much my only pet peeve with DeI, it's just ridiculous that a Helvetti camp has a full stack just with garrisons... I shouldn't need 3 legions to besiege a barbarian camp with a stack camping it. Besides, I bide my time and attack when their armies are otherwise busy, and this really counters opportunistic thought.

skimyy's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Request] Less Garrison Units.

Going to bump this thread.

I'd really like reduced garrison units, especially when the very bad Campaign AI almost ONLY builds military buildings, sometimes resulting in FULL STACKS of garrisoned units in almost all settlements. This is 100% true especially for barbarian factions.

I swear i saw a Vanilla garrison submod here once but I can't seem to find it.

Yes I agree, under the pretense that one stack is a full army (at least early game), it's a bit ridiculous that most settlements with it's garrison and a small stack can match your full stack. Modding this is difficult, I've tried, but it's long and tedious, I hope someone will do it. In my game, I just nerf some garrison unit stats such as morale and attack, but it's still not ideal.

I agree, 2000 of professional soldiers in level 1 cities it's just too much. Someone help us!

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quite easy to mod actually. just look for the armed citizenry tables and building level citizenry (or something like that) and then just reduce the garrison that each building and building level adds. An example would be to reduce the garrison that barracks add. Just find it in the tables and change garrison_5 to garrison_4 . Then the building will add fewer units to the garrison

There is also tables that decide what kind of units will be added for each level if garrison. Garrison 5 will add veteran axe warriors where garrison 4 only adds garrison swordsmen. So you can also switch the addition of swordsmen to require garrison 5 in the tables and thereby require a higher level of building in game to get these units

If people have suggestions I can make a submod that reduces the garrisons

Mh i don't know, a 25%-50% clean cut would be good but maybe too much simple. or cut half (or more) starting garrison and double the city upgrade unit addition, to make small cities more normal

So reduce it for smaller citites but increase it for the bigger ones?
    Just bear in mind that the AI have a tendency to make it a priority to upgrade the main city building to at least lvl 3.
    In the pack file the different garrison units is connected to a certain line. Like veteran warriors is tied to rome_garrison_5 and levy spearmen is tied to rome_garrison_2
    Then you just find each city level and look at how many lines is bound to it. So if you want 2 levy spearmen and 1 veteran warrior. you would have a line for each of them.
    rome_garrison_2
    rome_garrison_2
    rome_garrison_5
    So by removing or adding these kind of lines you can choose exactly what the kind of garrison you want for each tier of the buildings.

Thanks for the information i will look into it. bytheway i mean to reduce a lot the starting garrison and then reach vanilla standard at the top city level but i'll through the campaign

If you need any help just write. I have changed garrison myself for some buildings and know where to look and what to change.

Hello, I just wanted to also cast my support (or desperate plea for this sub-mod, to be more accurate ). Has anyone had any luck with this? If so, would you mind releasing the sub-mod publicly?

I was thoroughly enjoying DEI, and it is a truly great mod, but the massive garrisons made me stop playing. Not only is having massive garrisons in every settlement historically inaccurate, more importantly, the gameplay becomes very frustrating and tedious.

It would be much appreciated if someone could find a solution for this problem!

But is the problem there from the very beginning or is it present with the higher levels of cities? Just so that I know if I should change them all or just reduce the garrison for lvl 3 and 4 cities

Well, I guess that's up to personal interpretation, but I think it's a problem from the very beginning. I just feel that wars should be won in the field and if not, then it should be an actual army defending a city rather than a random, large garrison. Like I was saying, the large garrisons just feel inaccurate and make gameplay rather tedious - especially when garrisons can join battles in the field near cities.

I hope that makes sense, but yes, I would prefer to have them reduced across the board

I will try and reduce the overall garrison for towns and cities then.

Thank you FlashHeart, I really appreciate that

Will this be in the main mod? or as a submod?

As a submod when I get it done.

By the way, would this sort of sub-mod work on an existing campaign, or would it require a new game?

That I dont know but it is easy to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast