Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Avatar Conquest for multiplayer

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: Bring back Avatar Conquest for multiplayer

The Avatar MP was easily one of the best inventions in Total War history. Of course it was unbalanced, but its just so fun to customize your own general and your own elite units. Avatar mode is the only reason why i still play Shogun like a freak. Excluding it from Rome 2 without any compensatory was a pervet backstep (Just as the missing Cinematic intro, the missing background with the moving soldiers in the main menu and and and...). Atleast the general should be customizable in Attila.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Why did you not like Avatar Conquest?

I'm afraid its posts like these that contributed to the lack of Avatar Conquest in Rome II. CA must have seen the lack of appreciation for their reinvention of Total War multiplayer and simply given up. Along with it died any chance Total War could ever become a serious MMORTS. It even had its own "Shamefur Dispray" meme going around for quite a bit. For a while it could have had a shot at eventually competing with games like Starcraft.

Even Total War: Arena won't be the same, because players won't command entire armies anymore, only 3 units.
    I didn't like it because it limited you to bad units and forced you to play battles with inferior forces against players with better units. It was unfair and not what you would want from multiplayer where everyone should be equal. I didn't like how I had to fight a dozen battles to get the unit I wanted and I thought it all a bit unnecessary.

I only fought the classic battles and I think a lot of people did the same. Another system like that in Attila wouldn't excite me at all because I would never use it. Whenever a new DLC comes out people complain about CA wasting time and resources and I think that's exactly what Avatar would be, a waste. Let them improve multiplayer balance, and co-op campaigns. That would be fine.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    I didn't like it because it limited you to bad units and forced you to play battles with inferior forces against players with better units. It was unfair and not what you would want from multiplayer where everyone should be equal. I didn't like how I had to fight a dozen battles to get the unit I wanted and I thought it all a bit unnecessary.

I only fought the classic battles and I think a lot of people did the same. Another system like that in Attila wouldn't excite me at all because I would never use it. Whenever a new DLC comes out people complain about CA wasting time and resources and I think that's exactly what Avatar would be, a waste. Let them improve multiplayer balance, and co-op campaigns. That would be fine.
    What you describe is nothing more than the lack of a matchmaking system, which they could easily add in a future release that includes an Avatar mode.

People who didn't like it could always just play classic battles...so why are people trying to keep it out of TW games?
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    What you describe is nothing more than the lack of a matchmaking system, which they could easily add in a future release that includes an Avatar mode.

People who didn't like it could always just play classic battles...so why are people trying to keep it out of TW games?
    I'm not saying keep it out, I'm saying I'm not interested in it - I was asked why and said why.

I was giving my opinion on the feature and saying its inclusion wouldn't win any points for me. People are allowed to say that man, this entire forum is build on people raging about game features, I'm not allowed to point out a flawed feature of a Total War game when I see one? Double standards.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    I'm not saying keep it out, I'm saying I'm not interested in it - I was asked why and said why.

I was giving my opinion on the feature and saying its inclusion wouldn't win any points for me. People are allowed to say that man, this entire forum is build on people raging about game features, I'm not allowed to point out a flawed feature of a Total War game when I see one? Double standards.
    I didn't say that you are trying to keep it out, but if you read through the topics on that gamemode, you will find several people who do that.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Even Total War: Arena won't be the same, because players won't command entire armies anymore, only 3 units.
    That's CA's mistake only 3 units. It will not fly. I want to win or lose on my own merits.
    Sooo much wasted opportunity. Rome II was the last thing I bought from CA, I purchased no DLC. I am not preordering Atilla.
    Gaijin should give a big thanks to CA. I started playing Warthunder and dropped 300 bucks into in, all money I would have gladly given to CA if the product was were it should have been IMO.
    Back to Warthunder.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

I think playerbase was never large enough for proper same-level matchmaking system, most games that use such matchmaking are F2P which brings ur back to Arena
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    That's CA's mistake only 3 units. It will not fly. I want to win or lose on my own merits.
    Sooo much wasted opportunity. Rome II was the last thing I bought from CA, I purchased no DLC. I am not preordering Atilla.
    Gaijin should give a big thanks to CA. I started playing Warthunder and dropped 300 bucks into in, all money I would have gladly given to CA if the product was were it should have been IMO.
    Back to Warthunder.
    I disagree. I think the 3 unit idea is intriguing. But what bothers me is that Avatar Conquest is now lost, seemingly, forever. From the looks of it, we will only enjoy it in Shogun II.

And I agree, all the problems that people cite about Avatar Conquest could be easily fixed with an improved matchmaking system, as well as tweaks to the whole system to make it more balanced.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Only played Avatar Conquest in Shogun 2. Therefore I didn't play MP in Rome II.
    Birk Von Norway

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Avatar mode = Zombie Grinding 100% true and dont even try to defend it .With its DLCs it was all pay for win market strategy.The Rest Cosmetic changes to make your "girlfriend" look better.....

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Avatar mode = Zombie Grinding 100% true and dont even try to defend it .With its DLCs it was all pay for win market strategy.The Rest Cosmetic changes to make your "girlfriend" look better.....
    How many battles have you played to pass on all this wisdom?

One Thousand, two thousand?
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Without Avatar Conquest, multiplayer is stale and boring after about 10 custom battles. Those who for whatever piss poor reason are against Avatar Conquest ruin it for the rest of us who are willing to devote long hours into multiplayer gaming.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Without Avatar Conquest, multiplayer is stale and boring after about 10 custom battles. Those who for whatever piss poor reason are against Avatar Conquest ruin it for the rest of us who are willing to devote long hours into multiplayer gaming.
    People aren't against it. They are just expressing that they didn't enjoy it and aren't interested in having it brought back. They are doing so because they were asked, implicitly, by the title of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    With its DLCs it was all pay for win market strategy
    For a month or so this was more or less true - Sengoku Jidai DLC units were were powerful at the beginning since heavy gunners raped all, fire cav was very very cost effective while long yari ashigaru became must have unit of practically every army to this date. CA never did a good job at testing and balancing units before releasing these DLCs. Should such practice continue at that time one could easily say that it would turn STW2 into real p2w game.
    Last edited by Fanest; January 16, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

What they should have done is expanded upon Shogun 2's multiplayer. Instead they threw everything out and made it barebones in Rome 2 and now it looks like all their multiplayer focus is on Total War Arena and that other free to play game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    For a month or so this was more or less true - Sengoku Jidai DLC units were were powerful at the beginning since heavy gunners raped all, fire cav was very very cost effective while long yari ashigaru became must have unit of practically every army to this date. CA never did a good job at testing and balancing units before releasing these DLCs. Should such practice continue at that time one could easily say that it would turn STW2 into real p2w game.
    Actually I believe that was the intention of CA. Advantages for multiplayer is a great incentive to buy unit DLCs, because, let's be honest, prevailing over human opponents boosts our ego more than exploiting the dumb AI does.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    How many battles have you played to pass on all this wisdom?

One Thousand, two thousand?
    I played 651 battles on shogun 2 - looked just for you(How lovely) to know. + the Naval ones.And This is my First Time Watching them - Its Offensive and It Has to be.All those hours used for nothing Productive.
    Both my Avatars are with 10 silver stars - The vannila 1 and the FOTS one. And I play since Shogun 2 came out.. Ad I did it Ultra hard at the Start vs those Zombie avatar players who love to do it because of their EGO. THe Win Rate was 3 battles won per 10 lost.Now that I got The Silver Stars . Its the Other Way around.... Tooo easy because of my OP Veterans
    Got a win rate of 60%. And Im Casual/Semi Pro player who plays for Fun, the Unit Rousters and the Time period.- not the Avatar sistem.I hate the ranking sistems not just in the games.Same Is in the REAL world - The Bankers who rackets HOLE countries or Bombs them with The Idea of bringing Democracy. And Those Killers are on The Front Pages of our Magazines and In a Piedestal as the Holly Priests the Temples(the markets). And every1 hates them.

The Funny thing is I got almost 2000 battles for 1.5 year on the "" Rome 2 as some1 calls the game this way... that dont have Avatar Zombie Sistem.And I had more Fun without The Avatar mode. Thanks god CA did something right in that Game in DAY 1 version.

To see Pink (Barbie colour) or Yellow Romans or Gauls,Germans or Egypt on the Field..No No No Its too Distracting. Not Immensive.
    The Avatar Sistem only worked on Shogun 2 because you had only 1 Culture - Japan.Thats it. In Rome 2 you Have 30 Factions - Try to Fix This with those 30 Factions. CA didnt managed to Fix the First and only Faction in Shogun 2 - That is The Japanies - and you wanna do this with 30??? HAHAHAHA
    Same For Attila TW.

If You like a game you play it with or without the Avatar Sistem.

Just Look at the Real world everybody hate the Rich,who are rulling this world.(compared wih tHe nolifers Zombie Grinders is the same - They are on top of the pyramid of Sociaty.).Same is/was in Shogun 2 .This mode was Soo unbalanced that a Rokie avatar profile to win a player with Red or Gold Stars is almost none.Why? Veteran upgrades,retainers that gives - 6 melle attack - 6 morale - 4 accurasy and so on. The DLC's played for win strategy 1 of the few moves that helped this Rokie avatar with 3 broze stars.

You play the Battles for Fun ,not some Random Points that gets you 1 stupid star that no1 cares about it.Its the other way around progresivlly - they point fingers at you as the Zombie Grinder and No Lifer
    Avatar mode = Zombie Grinding 100% true and dont even try to defend it AGAIN....

Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: censor bypassing

That is YOUR opinion, and it is MY opinion that your opinion is crap. When i first saw avatar conquest on shogun 2 it got me really excited and i bought attila hoping to see something similar. Its a real shame that the mp part of attila is complete trash. For me having no sense of progression is BORING I played one online game and have not played attila since. Really hope they add to it or I will not be purchasing any more total war games.

Yeah.. multiplayer system from shotgun 2 was milion times better than from Rome/Attila.. so thats why I only play multi in shogun..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Actually I believe that was the intention of CA. Advantages for multiplayer is a great incentive to buy unit DLCs, because, let's be honest, prevailing over human opponents boosts our ego more than exploiting the dumb AI does.
    I play no rules, I know that 9/10 times I face an opponent who plays with the ERE and has a lot of tagmata I will lose, I also lose against players that spam a lot of horse archers. I don't care it's just a game but when I do win I feel all the more better

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast