Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: General impressions

Default Re: General impressions

Quote Originally Posted by M.V.Celerinus View Post
    I like the Mod very well, everything is fine for me as a Roman Fan. But i need some helpfull advise from other honorable Roman Players here.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sounds like a good idea for me that colonist are ready to dispatch and join the Roman Way of life. But what shouldt i do now?
    After you receive this pop-up message you can construct a colony-building in one of your socii provinces, essentially allowing you to recruit roman units in the city. The pop-up will periodically appear whenever new colonists are available and will only ever allow you to build one colony at a time.

So if you receive the pop-up and build in colony in - lets say - Capua, this will upgrade the city but you won't be able to build any more colonies in other cities until such a point where you receive the pop-up again.
    "Thálatta! Thálatta!"
    -Xenophon, Anabasis, 4, 7, 24

I agree with the missile thing as well, seem a little too nerfed when I tried a Baktria campaign battle.
    Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Overall a great release! The mod breathes a great atmosphere and really shows quality.

A few things though:

1) In battle the "flash your own troops in green and enemy troops in red" button appears to be missing. Is that intentional or is that a bug? Personally I find it highly annoying to see my units fight the enemy without being able to distinguish one from another. I can of course select all of my troops, but it's by far easier to select that one button, because I don't have cancel my current unit selection. And it gives you a quick overview of the battle situation.

2) Setting up custom battles is a nightmare because of the amount of units that is available to every faction. I had a hard time finding the Roman units and at first wasn't able to find the Camillan Hastati unit. I understand that you want people to be able to play with as many units as is possible, but this is maybe a bit too much.

Anyway, good job! I hope you iron out the bugs on a (relatively but reasonably) short notice!

I'm now sleepy becuse i were thinking that EB II wil be relased in next 4 days...and as u know i did have a suprise .
    I said to myself "I will install it and check it quickly" ... after a 5 haurs i did gone to sleep 3 h and to work .
    As for now it's very good 8/10 but i need to check more options (EB II isn't simple, u need to know all options, scripts, read much etc like in DLV and then the game will be 10/10 as i think) .
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    And I still suggest choosing that.
    No, I mean it didn't work. And my computer can easily run most newer games so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Faravid's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    1) In battle the "flash your own troops in green and enemy troops in red" button appears to be missing. Is that intentional or is that a bug? Personally I find it highly annoying to see my units fight the enemy without being able to distinguish one from another. I can of course select all of my troops, but it's by far easier to select that one button, because I don't have cancel my current unit selection. And it gives you a quick overview of the battle situation.
    I agree with this. IMO one of the best new mechanics in MTW2.

I miss it dearly!

Seljuq Prince's Avatar Civis

Pontos should have mountains to defend their region, but its like a steppe region, you can access their cities from every point of the map...I live in the region where Pontos is and its not like Alps but there is a great mountain range north of Anatolia thats for sure.. Thats my only complaint..

Other than that, battles are great, and people just dont die too quickly, phalanx is great I wouldn't expect it to be that good.. History lessons are a really good flavour, It really adds an immersive background while playing every particular faction.. Battle environment is also awesome, and UI too.. It's just not possible list every aspect of the mod that I loved.. Tnxevery person who has contibution on this great art of work.

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicContrarian View Post
    I played the roman campaign for a while and the battles take too long, I was literally sitting there yawning waiting for something to do while the units fought each other.

Kills the game for me having nothing to do when the battles last so long, there is literally nothing for me to do.
    OMG !!! Well, this your feeling... Me, i removed R2TW cause of that... 2 Full stack and 7 minutes of battle... It was ridiculous... On this mod, battles are greats and could be really epic !

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Overall a great release! The mod breathes a great atmosphere and really shows quality.

A few things though:

I never knew about this feature, can you post a screenshot or video about this?

2) Setting up custom battles is a nightmare because of the amount of units that is available to every faction. I had a hard time finding the Roman units and at first wasn't able to find the Camillan Hastati unit. I understand that you want people to be able to play with as many units as is possible, but this is maybe a bit too much.

Anyway, good job! I hope you iron out the bugs on a (relatively but reasonably) short notice!
    Due to the AOR recruitment never choose in custom battles middle or late eras, only the early.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokifer View Post
    No, I mean it didn't work. And my computer can easily run most newer games so I'm not really sure what's going on.
    That's really weird, is battle performance ok?
    You may have some driver issues.

I missed that too in my first battle, but thought you removed it for realism purposes.

Miles

Lovely! I noticed some bugs here and there, but the flavour is great and fighting is fun. It also runs super well. Loading times are barely existent, though I suppose my excessive RAM and the SSD also play into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    You almost expect to click on the left down corner and you are almost disappointed that there is no more any script activator there.
    Exactly how I felt, and not just about waiting for the advisor to pop up!
    I thought I was going to disappointed because I never played the initial releases of EB only the final release (because I only started playing Rtw in 2008-9), and I had been waiting and hyping for so long...
    To the point where I couldn't even play EB anymore because EBII was right around the corner. I was anxiously waiting for the download link to appear, but when it did appear I got a little scared. I didn't want to play it right there and then anymore,only after an hour or two did I install and run it. Everything felt so familiar, yet different at the same time, like a friend who has been gone for a long time and has all these amazing stories to tell you.

To me it didn't feel like (beta) EBII, it felt like EB 1.3, and don't get me wrong that is a really good thing! It felt like the perfect continuation of EB, taking everything that was great about it and building upon it.
    Graphically, loading time, and CTD's wise it should be EB20 as those area's were all drastically improved. But I didn't continue playing EB for the graphics nor did I stop playing when confronted with 2+ minutes loading times and countless CTD's.
    And even though the gameplay was always great, I didn't put so many hours in it for the gameplay either. Reading all those bits and pieces of information, even "starting to read more history" because of EB. I did that not for the gameplay but for something else, something very few other mods have been able to achieve. Because in the end what really made EB great was the immersion, and to me to have that on a "EB 1.3 level" right after the release is probably the biggest achievement of all. Even though it is far from finished, everything EVERY factor, gameplay, graphics, stability, artstyle ect. ect. Contributes to this immersion. For me it has already reached a level above EB, and thus it has also beaten all my expectations and fears.

So congratulations on the release of EB 1.3!

-Noviomagus-

PS: will there be a AAR's section on the forum? And could a mod move my battle report there in the future?

That's really weird, is battle performance ok?
    You may have some driver issues.
    Battle performance is fine, although I do notice a settlement I was attacking in a quick battle against hayasdan seemed to mostly consist of medieval buildings.

I have lands to conquer installed as well and the medieval 2 retrofit mod. Could these mess things up somehow?

One last thing:

I really like the scroll lock thing! both on the campaign map and in battle, it makes making screenshots so much easier!

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Sure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash troops button.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	312783

Due to the AOR recruitment never choose in custom battles middle or late eras, only the early.
    Ah, that's much better!

+1, I constantly find myself clicking on the empty space where this button should be, old habits I guess.

It's pretty subtle, and I didn't discover it for a while after first playing Medieval 2. I recorded a quick video in vanilla so you can see what people are posting about:

http://youtu.be/enhKKDiO5X4

I'm honestly not sure why it would suddenly not work in EBII, although I think I might've experienced something similar in Stainless Steel or another mod before, but I never got around to diagnosing the cause.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks guys! We'll investigate it so it's included in future patches.

I think it's due to not having finished battle GUI's at this point. At the moment you could use crtl+a which will select all your units, Enter/return will deselect any unit you have selected.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

very happy with the beta release,looks and playes very well.first i had trouble running it but after the launch fix it runs like a charm
    never played any EB before so it's all new to me(have a roma surrectum addiction)
    can someone post a link for the buildings what they do and from which i can get armor and so...or is that totaly different from eb1?

only thing i don't like is the lack of generals or FM early in game(turn20 now)
    and the fact that hastati have beter attack than the princeps(7against4 i believe)

other than that amazing mod

oh can you make the credits go slower in later updates so i can wright down the names so i can rep them all
    Last edited by tungri_centurio; August 26, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius