Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Yōkai (Abandoned)

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 46 - 7.5.15

Sorry for the delay. I've been very busy with exams and important meetings and definitely haven't been spending all my time binge watching Game of Thrones and playing Euro Truck Simulator

However, I have run into some technical issues (again...) with Shogun 2, so I'm reinstalling now - hopefully can update this today.

Edit: tried to fix it. Didn't work. Umm... not really sure what to do.

Edit 2: reinstalling Steam. Things look better now, but we'll wait and see.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; May 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 47 - 17.5.15

So unfortunately I've been unable to resolve these technical difficulties. I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware issue. If it's the first, I have no idea how to fix it. If it's a hardware issue, there's literally no chance of me getting it fixed, what with being in China for a year.

This led me to a dilemma. Despite not technically needing the game to tell the story (although I had planned to use it more in later acts), I didn't like the idea of not having screenshots, since firstly they add dimension and flavour to the text and secondly they provide the only - however tenuous - justification for claiming this story to be an AAR. So I thought about what I wanted to do. A part of me wanted to use it as an opportunity to start a new project. However, I've been thinking of what to write for a few days now and I've honestly not been able to come up with anything. I just really want to continue Yokai. But do I really want to continue indefinitely without screenshots? Honestly, no.

But, I had a bright idea. It might not be pretty and it might be a little radical, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let this story die and I'll do whatever it takes to finish this.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; May 17, 2015 at 04:38 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 46 - 7.5.15

Amber and Ember
    Suo-Oshima, Choshu-han, June 1866

A heavy fog hung over the island’s shore; the still waters yet to shine under the glare of the morning sun. On the grass bank, the three of them looked out over the sea separating them from Shikoku.

“We’ve searched the entire village here,” Satetsugawa sighed. “This is the shore, we can go no further.”

Ryukei scowled and held his lantern high in the air, level with his face. With his free hand, he tapped it, as if that would somehow cause Shinji to magically appear. Despite the fact they couldn’t locate the boy, the lantern shone brighter than ever; its amber glow almost forgiven for a sun in the morning fog. “He must be here,” the demon hunter spoke fiercely.

“What are we doing here?” Akashi spoke, as if in Suzushi’s ear. The ishin shishi had thus far been quiet; trying to contain the excitement of finally cornering her prey. As she stood beside her two companions, she rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet, her fists clenched tight in anticipation. Two years. Two years since she had begun her task in Asahi. Now it was finally time to seize the boy. This time, there would be no mistakes.

“Haven’t you been paying attention at all Kyo-chan?” Suzushi whispered in reply, although even her quietest voice betrayed her elation. “Shinji-kun is here in Suo-Oshima. We’re finally going to capture the boy who murdered you.”

A slight pause, a silent rolling of eyes he no longer possessed most probably. “I understand that,” Akashi explained to her. Despite being so close to their quarry, he sounded more nervous than anything else. Afraid of the boy? “I mean, why are we, that is to say, you, standing by the shore?”

Suzushi furrowed her fine painted brows, unsure what her love was getting at. “Didn’t you just hear them? We searched the whole village here. We could not find Shinji-kun. We came to the shore to continue our search. Why are you always so tense?”

“Tell me,” Akashi began slowly, “what were we doing last summer?”

The ishin shishi really had no idea what the former captain was saying. Why was he bringing this up now? “We were in Okayama.”

“What were we doing in Okayama?” Akashi pressed her.

“Waiting for Ryu-kun to fix his lantern,” Suzushi told him bewilderedly. How could he have forgotten this? Surely they had more pressing concerns. “Otherwise it would keep glowing, since it was around you.”

Before Akashi could respond, Ryukei spoke up, echoing Suzushi’s own thoughts. “Must you really talk with your demon boyfriend now Suzushi-san? This is quite an important time for us, we must be on alert. The boy must be close.”

“Could you please tell your charming companion that I’m not a demon, but a man,” Akashi asked of her. Although usually such a phrase from Akashi’s lips – or lack thereof – would be soaked in venom, this time his words carried no tone at all.

Rolling her own eyes this time, Suzushi turned to Ryukei. “He’s not a demon, he’s a…”

Suddenly she stopped. On Ryukei’s other side, Satetsugawa cried out in surprise. “Look there,” she cried, “through the mist! Ships!”

Through the early morning fog, the Shogun’s fleet sailed toward the island of Suo-Oshima and cannon soaked the shore side in flame.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Glad you still update it Cousin Hitai
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 48 - 18.5.15

Sonno Joi
    Suo-Oshima, Choshu-han, June 1866

People were flocking through the streets, screams echoing through the air, vying to be heard over the thunder of cannon and the crack of rifles in the distance. The town was yet to be set alight unlike the shoreline behind them, but already smoke was rising from the peripheral buildings.

“Where’s Ryu-kun?” Suzushi cried, as her and Satetsugawa fought through the fleeing crowds. The Shogun’s army had arrived, they had to escape.

“What?” exclaimed the reporter over her shoulder. “I thought he was with us?”

The demon hunter was nowhere to be seen. All about them townsfolk were shrieking in terror, desperately attempting to flee the town. Suddenly, gunfire echoed about them louder than ever. Had the Shogunate troops already landed? Was this his wrath finally brought down upon them?

“We need to find Ryu-kun!” Suzushi cried again.

“Forget him!” Akashi’s voice resonated in her ear. “Focus on keeping us alive. Don’t go risking your life for that snake!”

Suzushi was torn. Going with the flow of the crowd, she attempted to look back over her shoulder, desperately craning her neck to search for Ryukei’s face. The demon hunter was not with them. Could he really have died? A proud, noble life brought to an end by the guns of the Shogun? A Shogun she had recruited him to fight against? A part of her wanted to run back the way they had come; to try and find her companion and drag him from this flame-wreathed island.

However, as they crossed a bridge over a stream dissecting the town, they heard a new cry erupt from the villagers around them. “Soldiers!” they voices sounded, overlapping each other like ocean currents. “There are soldiers here!”

Suzushi turned back around to glance down the road, as the crowd about her dissipated, disappearing down alleyways, on to roofs or jumping down into the stream to escape. Satetsugawa was screaming at her, but Suzushi simply stood atop the bridge, staring down at the road behind them. The dark silhouettes of samurai were encroaching, bearing down on them like the harbingers of death they were. Flashes of steel caught the noon sun as katanas were unsheathed to execute any straggling civilians. And as Suzushi stood frozen, more soldiers swam into view, first a handful, then dozens upon dozens, all clad in black and daubed with their clan liveries. Yet each wore upon his person the bastard emblem of the Tokugawa.

Maruni mitsu aoi…” Akashi spoke softly.

This was it. There was no chance of escape now. Suzushi knew not why she had stopped. Perhaps she still hoped she might see Ryukei, perhaps even the boy Shinji amongst the last of the fleeing civilians. Whatever the unconscious reason, she had sacrificed her own chance of escape, remaining frozen atop the bridge. She slid out the tanto dagger from her robes and grasped it in a surprisingly steady hand. She was an ishin shishi, agent of the Emperor himself. No dog of the Shogun would take her without a fight.

However, as the samurai began their ascent of the bridge, a voice rang out over the screams. “Get down!”

Suzushi fell to the ground immediately, yet she had not commanded her muscles to move an inch. Were her reflexes that fast? Before she could process her thoughts, thunder sounded in her ears. She glanced up to see the front ranks of the approaching samurai fall to the floor, blood spilling from their armour like water from a broken dam. The thunder sounded again and more dropped dead. Smoke filled her eyes and mouth, sending coughs racking through her lungs and tears streaming down her face. The thunder rang a third time, then the ground began to shake. She opened her eyes to see heavy boots flocking past her, and as her vision widened, she saw men rushing past her toward the reeling samurai. Their uniforms were none alike, some dressed in kimonos, others in western dress, a few in samurai armour of their own. Yet above the din, she heard the same battle cry upon each and every one of their lips.

Sonno joi. Sonno joi. Sonno joi.

Revere the emperor, expel the barbarian.

As she watched, the brave men of Choshu repelled the invaders, driving them back with rifle and bayonet. Although their colours and uniforms were many, they fought like an army. However, as she watched, a shadow fell over her. She looked up to see a horse towering over her.

“Get up Suzushi-san,” came a voice. It was rich and somewhat husky, the kind of voice that always accompanied a twinkle of the eye. As obeyed, she rose to her feet, looking up at the man atop the steed.

“Saigo-sama…” she whispered.

Saigo Takamori, general of Satsuma and hero of the Tozama. Dressed in a western-style uniform and wearing a sly smile beneath a sharp moustache, he looked down at his subordinate with a fond gaze halfway between that of a father and a brother. “We can’t have you dying just yet Suzushi-san,” he spoke in an amused voice.

“What are you doing here?” Suzushi asked, still unable to believe it was really him before her eyes.

The samurai general laughed heartily. “What am I doing here? I’m going to war my dear. As are you.”

Suzushi shook her head. “No, it’s not time yet…” she spoke softly.

Saigo Takamori laughed once again. “The choice has been taken out of our hands Suzushi-san,” he told her, although he didn’t seem particularly displeased at the notion. “The Shogun has already moved against us. The time is now.”

“The boy!” she screamed back at him. “I still need to find Shinji-kun.”

The elder general shook his head and his expression shadowed. “No, you have been relieved of that mission. The emperor has new orders for you now Suzushi Yosome, ishin shishi.”

And so Suzushi stood, smothered in her superior’s towering shadow as soldiers streamed past her into battle. The boy she had tried and failed to hunt for two years was no longer her concern. Tears still streamed down her face, but the smoke was already dissipating.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; May 18, 2015 at 01:29 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 49 - 18.5.15

Promises
    Aki-nada Sea, June 1866

Even in defeat, the twin crests of the Aizu domain and its Tokugawa masters shone brightly in the summer sun. Affixed to the mast of the towering steamship Tasukemamoru, they served as a reminded to the crew that despite this setback, their honour was not diminished and they were not yet beaten. They would return to Edo and fight again once more.

“I hadn’t expected them to be quite so well prepared,” a woman in Aizu black admitted with a stern expression, her hands mournfully caressing the holstered revolvers at her waist. “You did well though. Without you, we never would have had this opportunity. The Shogun won’t blame you for this failure.”

The man still shuffled his feet guiltily. “I could have done more. I could have found the boy; found him sooner, faster.”

The woman’s grim expression did not change as she attempted sympathy. “Do not trouble your mind with these matters. The time of preparation is over, our search for the yokai ends now. Let the emperor’s dogs keep hunting the boy, we have already shown our hand. We have just made war inevitable; we have more important matters to attend to now.”

“What further use have you now for a demon hunter?” the man asked solemnly.

The black clad gunslinger smiled. “Every use in the world Ryukei-san,” she assured him. “I’m sure you learnt quite a lot about the emperor’s plans in your travels with that baita. The Shogun is most looking forward to hearing your tale.”

Ryukei nodded; he did carry with him important information, that much was for sure. As he looked back over the stern of the ship at the fading island of Suo-Oshima, he knew he ought not to feel any guilt for double-crossing Suzushi and her band of rebels. The Shogunate was to be preserved at any cost; there could be no mercy for the Tozama and their lackeys.

Yet, despite his true allegiance, he sensed the real reason his heart was aching was not their defeat in battle, nor their failure to capture the boy. Although a liar and a double-crosser, he still had one promise he could never go back on.

“Bear your curse a little while longer, Suzushi. I will free you from him one day.”

Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; May 18, 2015 at 01:01 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Well, here ends Act III! With the plot twist I'm sure everybody saw coming from miles off. In truth, I actually only decided to do it a few days/weeks ago, long after he was introduced, but it made more sense than my original plan for him. And yes, we're using Mount and Blade for the time being, which isn't perfect. Still, it actually allows for nice close up/civilian shots, so every cloud.

Stay tuned for Act IV this week, with some familiar faces...

Also, before I forget, the end of an act is always a great place to ask for input and comments in general. Is everything okay? Any thoughts to share about the story so that I can improve, do things differently, anything like that? Or even things you enjoyed you'd like to see more of Any constructive criticism is welcome, happy to hear the good and the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze View Post
    Glad you still update it Cousin Hitai
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; May 18, 2015 at 01:48 AM.

An excellent couple of chapters. I must say, I didn't see the twist coming although I hardly see any twists coming. And finally, war. About bloody time. For the Emperor!

I hope you get your problem resolved as well, I know how irritating it can be. Have you tried the guys at the tech support sub forum or even at CA?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    An excellent couple of chapters. I must say, I didn't see the twist coming although I hardly see any twists coming. And finally, war. About bloody time. For the Emperor!
    No one ever trusted Ryukei though And yeah, about the war... we still have a few acts left to go before we get to that I keep telling everyone that Act 6 will be where the fun starts, but no one ever listens

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    I hope you get your problem resolved as well, I know how irritating it can be. Have you tried the guys at the tech support sub forum or even at CA?
    I've tried most of the 'quick fixes' and software stuff, reinstalling, deleting things, all that fun stuff. I'm guessing, as is M, that it's a hardware/graphics card thing. But I'm not going to let it bother me. It might make certain future chapters harder, but then again, using M&B might make some easier, so I can't complain. The question of 'is this an AAR?' just got more complicated, but hey, at the end of the day I just hope people enjoy the story.

Are you using a mod for M&B to produce the screenshots?

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

If I had to take a guess it would be this mod:

Gekokujo:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gekokujo

(I could be wrong, so . . . sorry if I am!)

Now, I must catch up! I have a few hours to catch before school (its five am here.) So I shall be doing that

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Act III ended in fine style. Great twist - I didn't see it coming either! Sorry to hear about the problem with Shogun II, how disappointing. It's excellent to see that you have sustained the story despite the technical problem. The new screenshots look good to me.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

It's taken me ages to get round to this, but that was a nice ending to the act. Sorry you're having trouble with Shogun II - that must be really frustrating when you'd already got so far into the story. At least you found a solution that allows you to keep going! (The new screenshots look fine so far, I think.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

After evading the imperial machinations of Akashi Kyoumu and Suzushi Yosome in Asahi, the Christian nun Nishina Hitsumei abducted Tsukaru Shinji, a young boy with mysterious powers, with the intent of escorting him to Rome for exorcism. However, after a duel with Suzushi on board a train out of Osaka, the duo was scattered, with Nishina left for dead and Shinji still hurtling westward toward Nagasaki.

Reuniting with the spirit of Akashi, now bound to his former necklace, Suzushi attempted once more to track down the elusive Shinji as part of the yokaishuuketsu, or the Demon Gathering; an attempt by the emperor to recruit all manner of spirits and beasts across the nation to aid him in his upcoming showdown against the Tokugawa. However, after being betrayed by her erstwhile companion Ryukei, actually a shogunate agent, Suzushi’s quest for the yokai comes to a bitter and premature end.

We now return a year in the past and re-join a familiar face, somewhere along the old Toba road…

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Separation
    Somewhere on the Toba Road, November 1864

“Shinji!”

Nishina awoke violently, screaming the boy’s name at the top of her lungs. His image was etched onto her dreams like the perverse calligraphy he drew; his face swam in her mind like an eternal ship upon the ocean, taunting her as she forever remained just out of reach. She was falling, forever falling away from him, arms flailing in vain to grasp his hands and find shelter in his warmth. Yet all was cold and all was dark; as she came too, Shinji was nowhere to be found.

She found herself reclined and at once attempted to spring onto her feet to find her charge, but as soon as she moved an inch, a searing pain erupted across her stomach and she let out a cry of pain, before slumping back down onto her back, breathing heavily.

“Don’t move so much, you’ll re-open the wound.”

A voice floated down towards her. Through teary eyes, Nishina saw a face above her. It was old, wrinkled and the nun sighed in disappointment to realize whoever this person was, it was not her love.

“I wasn’t expecting you to awaken so soon. Perhaps I underestimated the vigour of youth,” the voice spoke again casually, seemingly uninterested in Nishina herself.

“Who are you?” Nishina panted. She quickly realized she knew not who she talked to, nor where she was. Despite her heartache, she knew this situation could be a very dangerous one indeed. She propped herself up on her elbows and made to get a clearer sight of the speaker.

“You can call me Sokaku,” the speaker was an old woman, dressed in a cheap robe and unkempt hair. She was currently preparing something upon a stove, paying Nishina little attention.

Nishina winced as she felt the searing pain in her stomach once more. What was this old woman planning… Why were they here? What happened to the train? Suzushi? Shinji…

Her vision was blurry and she felt lightheaded as she pondered these questions. Sokaku returned to her side, with a steaming bowl of something in her grip. “Drink this child and rest some more.”

With no strength to argue, Nishina did as she was bid, taking a sip from the bowl and collapsing back into unconsciousness once more.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Here we go again.

I had some old Shogun 2 screens left over I was going to use, but it seems they got deleted somewhere along the line. So looks like Mount and Blade for the time being, until I can access a computer with Shogun. It should be okay for now, since we have some time story-wise before we get to any big battles.

Edit: found them~ Apparently I was smart enough to back them up. Who woulda thunk it? Will definitely help a bit for Act IV
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; March 11, 2016 at 04:43 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Yōkai | Updated Chapter 50 - 11.3.16

Excellent! Yōkai and Nishina both back at once! And an intriguing new character...

(Glad to hear it turned out you did have back-ups, by the way. )

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Caillagh, this is a very welcome return for your story. The paragraph where Nishina wakes is a particularly powerful piece of writing.

I liked the sort of play-like chorus intro you did there Hitai. And of course I love returning to follow Nishina. Ahhhhh can't wait to see even more.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Thanks all! It's good to be back I wanted to use the traditional new act picture as a chance to summarize the story so far (cribbing old Shanky's ideas again). Been nearly a year, so wouldn't be surprised if everyone's forgotten

Next chapter has been good to go for a while, but my gimp templates for the in-chapter pictures are on an external hard drive and I've been a bit lazy with hooking it up and doing the photo-editing. All in good time.