Thread: Unit balancing in DLV+BB

Default Unit balancing in DLV+BB

Dapancakeanator here,

I have recently been playing the crap out of medieval 2 just in case medieval 3 is announced, which it probably won't be, currently my comprehension of pitched battles is pretty bad but when I go up against a hard ai I can beat him with at least half as many units as he does (as long as I have xbows).

This is my idea of the damage model, correct me if I'm wrong please:

Horses vs Swordsmen and archers= win
    Swordsmen vs spearmen and archer= win
    Spearmen vs cavalry= win
    Archers missile atk. vs everyone= damage idk bout win

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Unit balancing in DLV+BB

Even if it is announced, it's going to be garbage like R2.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I think it's spoiling the game to tell people how my unit balancing works.

At least I personally find it satisfying to work out this kind of stuff for myself in games.

But I will say it's no way near that simple and that custom battles aren't the way to experience it

The best part about AI in DLV+BB is that it keeps a portion of its spearmen as reserve. It tries to counterattack any flanking cav. It also protects its missile troops to a certain degree. If you have no cavalry superiority, its almost a guaranteed loss with equal numbers of men.

Sandy

Ya the AI are pretty smart...
    Btw when I say pitched battles I mean field battles in open ground not custom battles.

Sieges seem more common in the mod, which is good because I'm pretty sure pitched battles were a rarity in the Middle Ages.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

My bad. Glad to hear you're playing battles in a campaign

Crossbows recently got a significant buff in open field battles versus inf with the changes to missile weight. They ought to be able to slow approaching units more effectively.

Light and heavy javs are affected even more so, with heavy javs having quite decent potential to knock soldiers down.