Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike and shot era games?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Pike and shot era games?

After watching the three musketeers again today (90's version. Yes I know its no masterpiece, but its a lot of fun) I got in the mood to play some games in this era. Any recommendations are welcome.

What I have for this myself:
    -Warband: With fire and sword.
    -Fable 2.
    -Age of empires 3? its debatable.. should start with that period, yet many late game units are armored.. confusing.
    -Assasin's Creed Brotherhood and revelations. Part 2 not so much yet.

But this is probably it. At best I have it furthermore in those strategy games that cover lots of eras, but through that cover the pike and shot as well as any other era poorly.

A shame really, there really should be move games set in this period of time. I mean theres many kinds of armor, theres knights, rifles, pistols, crossbows, bows, zweihanders, swords, rapiers, bucklers, bombs, cannons, horses, pikes, spears, halberds.. I dont think any era has as much variation in weaponry as this era considering that early on the gunpowder stuff wasnt available yet or not used very effectively, and later on armor and most medieval weapons faded away.

But yes, recommendations! lets hear it.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Pike and shot era games?

If you are interested in delving into AOE style empire building and warfare,though set in and around the era described(approximately early modern) I would suggest giving the "Cossacks" strategy game series a go.I dont believe you will be disappointed as it spans the eras between the 17th and 19th centuries,encapsulating the era you are looking for and more(with the Mousquetaire Gris,the Musketeer formation made famous by Dumas,actually in it as a unit). There is also another game of a similar genre,though it is wholly battlefield oriented on a tactical level,entitled "Pike and Shot:The Renassiance" that does well to represent some of the most pivotal battles of the era leading up to the eve of the 30 years war.As this is one of my undisputed favourite eras as well I will post more ideas as they come to me,as I know there are a few more lingering about my collection that I am missing
    Last edited by Chevalier IX; July 10, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Heard a lot about cossacks yes, though I fear it may be a bit too much about the later period where armor and medieval weaponry get phased out. I'd prefer a game where that doesnt happen.

I gues medieval 2 total war at its endgame is somewhat like this, but most units are clearly medieval and not pike and shot. Most nations don't even seem to get much units of that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Heard a lot about cossacks yes, though I fear it may be a bit too much about the later period where armor and medieval weaponry get phased out. I'd prefer a game where that doesnt happen.

I gues medieval 2 total war at its endgame is somewhat like this, but most units are clearly medieval and not pike and shot. Most nations don't even seem to get much units of that style.
    There is an English civil war mod for m2tw and I believe there is also a 30 years war mod. Those might satisfy your desire for some pike and shot fun.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

There's a mod for the original Medieval called Pike & Musket, that deals exactly with the era.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

American Conquest

Checkout Colonialism 1600 in Empire Total War: Hosted Modifications. It is a 3 year long labor that was started by the famous HussarTW. I have been working on it lately along with Geronimo, who has kept the mod going and was actually the one who released it recently.
    A huge update is in the works and will be out soon, but it's playable now and quite amazing.

While the effort is certainly appreciated, I don't think its possible to have zweihanders, crossbows, and other weapons in empire total war.

Artifex

- Age of Empires 3 (I like the German Doppelsöldner)
    - American Conquest - Fight Back (Game starts with Pikemen, Halberdiers, Arquebusiers)
    - Cossacks
    - Shogun II Total Realism (my Sengoku campaign centers around pike and shot)
    - Mount & Blade Warband has mods improving pikemen and someone even scripted pike bracing into the game

Matrix Game has announced Pike & Shot, but it looks horrible: http://www.slitherine.com/screenshot...99647629_4.jpg
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; July 12, 2014 at 04:19 AM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

The "1648" mod for Medieval II Kingdoms is clearly what you're looking for. You might try the "Italian wars" mod too, it's about italian wars between France and the HRE during the 16th century.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Europa Universalis is about the time period but it doesn't have real time battles.

I'll definatly look into 1648 then, thanks for the suggestion!

It's very strange that this era is so neglected though. Kind of like the dark ages and World War 1. Somehow its seen as less popular.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Try Stainless steel!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Give Imperialism II a shot. It's addicting as hell.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

There is mods for it. stanless steel if im not mistaken, alows you to start at 1400 or something. Or is a sub mod of it. Im not sure. You begin early era, mid era, or late era, you can chose.
    Or it used to anyway. Dont play S.S for a while.
    I would recomend anyone to try it out one of the most complete mod out there, with tons of sub mods, and compilations of sub mods. I remember having alot of pike and shot armies, battleing the mongols,and the ottomans, and they actualy work much better then they do in vannila
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 15, 2014 at 01:02 PM.

1648 mod for M2TW as everyone already suggested is a good bet, but it's pretty unfinished and quite buggy/crashy. Also has a lot of weird balancing decisions - I solved that by taking 2 or 3 hours modifyng unit stats in my game's EDU- and the English translation is pretty bad. I still have a blast with it though and play it every week. The campaign map detail alone is unmatched by any other m2tw mod.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Try the Cossacks games. It plays a lot like the total war battles, and has a touch of resource managment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

(double post, sorry)
    Last edited by mlc82; July 31, 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast