Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Skyrim FF] An Age of Aggression- updated 7/8/13

Default [Skyrim FF] An Age of Aggression- updated 7/8/13

Hi all,

this first post is just going to be a sort of introductory post by me, and the second post will contain the first chapter in the story.

Anyways as you may have guess, after reading the thread title, this is a fan fiction and not an after action report. I was not entirely sure if I should post this in the aar section, so if I shouldn't have I do apologize for that. Anyways back on point, as this is not an aar there will be no pictures, other then the mental images I will hopefully be able to paint in your brains, through my writing skills that is. haha. I hope that those of you that steer clear of things with no pictures in it will still stick around and at least try and read some of it though.

Okay onto some more important facts, it was my intent to try and make this story as dark, gritty, and realistic (to my personal invisioning of Skyrim) as I could. By realistic, I don't mean supper Skyrim lore friendly, in fact I'm sure I will probably do a fairly good job of butchering some of the lore on accident, and I will intentionally change lore to fit my stories needs. When I say realistic I mean that battles will not be won because of some dude in robes who can shoot fire out of his hands, but they will be won or lost through blood, sweat, and steel. Now, to the Skyrim lore buffs I say, please dont chase me down with torches and pitchforks. haha

Last, but not least I would like to say that I do play Skyrim on my PC quite a lot. It is a fantastic game, with loads of possibilities, and I do appreciate the lore in game and enjoy it a lot.

Anyways I hope that those of you who take the time to read my humble story enjoy it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Default Re: [Skyrim FF] An Age of Agression

Chapter 1

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A soft rain pattered down onto Torhild's light blond, nearly white hair, on a cool, gray, and drizzly morning in the lush forested south of the Rift just a few miles north of the Cyrodiil border. Torhild brushed a lock of wet hair away from her face, that's left side was covered in a light blue war paint. The right side of her face remained unpainted however, leaving her smooth light skin exposed. Her pale blue eyes stared intensely down through the forested hill she was currently kneeling on, and observed the vast column of Imperial soldiers marching on the road below her. On the road, marched three Imperial legions heading north into Skyrim to reinforce the Imperial garrison of Skyrim and help them suppress the ongoing Stormcloak rebellion. The army numbered some fifteen thousand legionaries, each legionary carried a large rectangular shield, or scutum, painted bright red with the Imperial crest adorned on it, armored in heavy steel armor and helmet, and carried either a short or mid-length stabbing sword as a primary weapon. Along with the legionaries marched eight thousand supporting auxiliary troops, which ranged in make-up from light infantry, to cavalry, to archers. A combined force of some twenty-three thousand additional Imperial soldiers were arriving in Skyrim to help in the putting down of the Stormcloak rebellion. Torhild however, had other plans for the arriving legions.

Torhild watched and listened to the surprisingly loud ruckus created as the thousands of heavily armed and armored Imperial soldiers passed by where she knelt concealed at the top of the forested hill to their left. She observed the soldiers marching precisely to the drum cadences that the drummers drummed out, such discipline. Torhild smirked and thought to herself, these Imperial dogs might be able to march well, but that wont save them from the hell that I will unleash upon them. Off too her left, Torhild's long time friend, second in command, and leader of her all female personal guard, Vigdis, crept out of the shadows the trees cast onto the ground and up to her side. Vigdis, was a fiery Nord women, with long red hair, green eyes, a short temper, a love of battle as well as drink, and a body that would make any man desire her. Her physical beauty, to the dismay of her opponents, would often mask the fact that she was indeed a great Nord warrior, and the many scares she had on her body proved just how many battles she had been in. Although, for one too see most of those scares they would have to be one of the lucky few she would choose to take to the bedroom and lay with.

Vigdis spoke quietly and deliberately, yet was not able to mask the excitement in her voice, "My lady, all of our warriors are in position and ready to start the attack. Once you give the signal we will unleash the fury of the true sons and daughters of Skyrim on these damned Imperial dogs." The last few words Vigdis spat out with noticeable contempt in her voice towards the Imperials.

"Good." Torhild whispered back with venom in her voice, "These Imperial bastards dare to march up from Cyrodiil, and defile our sacred fatherland with their presence? Well, now they will pay for this treachery with their pitiful worthless lives! Talos help me, I will make them all pay with their lives and send them all to oblivion!" Torhild stopped speaking for a moment, took a breath to calm herself, and then continued. "Vigdis, are you ready to spill the blood of these Imperial bastards and take one more step towards freeing Skyrim of the Imperial yoke?" Vigdis flashed a cruel smile as an affirmative response.

Torhild smiled back at her friend and battle sister, she felt the adrenaline begin to surge into her system in the anticipation of the coming battle. She took one last look down from her concealed position at the unsuspecting column of Imperial soldiers. Satisfied that the column was fully into the kill zone, Torhild slowly raised her right arm up into the air, signaling for the Stormcloak archers that were hidden in the woods to her left and right to notch arrows, and draw their bows. Three...two...one... Torhild thought, and then brought her right arm downwards in a rapid, vertical, cutting motion signaling the archers to loose their arrows. The air around her filled with the twangs of hundreds of archers loosing their arrows at nearly the same time.

Hundreds of arrows whistled out from the forest along the Imperial left, and into the ranks of marching legionaries. Most of the arrows either harmlessly struck the ground, shields of the legionaries, or bounced off of their heavy armor. However, some found soft flesh too bite into or weak points in armor to punch through. Those legionnaires unlucky enough to be struck by arrows and have them penetrate into their bodies let out cries of agony and dropped wounded to the ground. Few would be lucky enough to die quickly outright from arrow wounds, most would have to wait for their misery to be ended by other means. Imperial officers and NCO's barked out orders to get the soldiers facing the direction of their attackers and present their shields into a protective wall against the arrow fire. The legionaries responded slowly however in shock at the fierce barrage of arrow fire they were suddenly under. Adding to the slowness of their response was the horrifying sight of seeing their comrades drop to the ground screaming in pain from arrow wounds, and the fact, that with the exception of some NCO's, the men in these legions were all green having never seen combat before. Finally after what took far too long to suit the Imperial officers and noncoms the legionaries were able to get their act together and present a protective wall of shields towards their attackers that they could take cover behind. The legionaries might now be safe from the Stormcloak arrow fire, but their view of what would be coming at them was obstructed. Torhild, had been waiting for this, and clapped her hands together with glee as the Imperials formed up their protective shield wall.

"Ha!" Torhild cried, "These Imperial dogs are far too predictable. Vigdis, my battle sister, give the order to have the pitch balls set ablaze and rolled down onto these Imperial sons of whores! Let us see how they like being crushed by burning balls of death, and having their precious formations broken apart! By Talos! we have them now!"

Complying Vigdis shouted to a signal bearer to give the signal to light the pitch balls and roll them down into the ranks of the Imperials. The signal bearers waved their flags passing the order down the line. Following the orders, Stormcloak warriors set the balls ablaze with torches, and used spear shafts to push them down the hill into the tightly packed Imperials. Taking cover behind their shields, for protection from the arrow fire, the Imperials were easy targets for the large, rolling, fiery balls of death. Seeing the flaming balls rolling down towards them, Imperial officers and noncoms who did not have their vision obstructed by large shields, screamed for their soldiers to get out of the way, but it was too late. The balls smashed into the Imperials crashing through ranks of men, knocking dozens of Imperials onto the ground apiece, setting some of the pour souls on fire causing them to wither on the ground in pain, and outright crushing others to death. Chaos consumed the Imperial column as their formations and discipline collapsed under of the assault of arrows and flaming balls of death. Some Imperials completely panic stricken threw down their weapons, turned, and ran to try and get away from the chaos. They made easy targets for Stormcloak marksmen, who unlike the other archers, took aimed shots at the Imperials.

Looking at the calamity unfolding below Torhild smiled ferociously. This is what she had hoped for, mass chaos, and the breakdown of Imperial discipline and organization. She may have only had around half the numbers of the Imperial army, but with these advantages Torhild was confident in victory. In one fluid motion Torhild jumped to her feet and drew her skyforge steel blade, that had been a gift too her from her father, from its scabbard at her side and lifted it high above her head. To her left and right the thousands of Stormcloak warriors Torhild commanded rose up from their positions, just as their commander had done, and assembled together in a line preparing for the charge down into the Imperials. The Stormcloak warriors violently began clanging their weapons and shields together, shouting war cries, curses towards the Imperials, and oaths of honor towards the heavens all in an effort too work themselves up into a state of frenzy for the coming fight.

"For Skyrim!" Torhild shouted at the top of her lungs and charged down the hill towards the Imperials with the intensity of an icewolf pouncing upon its unsuspecting pray. A thunderous roar, as thousands of stormcloaks echoed her cry, "For Skyrim!" erupted from the woods to the Imperials left, chilling the Imperial soldiers to the bones. What was even more chilling for the Imperials though, was seeing the thousands of angry and bloodthirsty Stormcloak warriors pour wildly out of the woods and down towards them. The Stormcloaks crashed down upon the Imperials like a wave from the ocean crashing onto rocks along a beach. Torhild was the first Stormcloak to make contact, knocking a legionary off his feat with the force she dealt onto him when she crashed into his shield, and stabbed a second shocked looking legionary in his unprotected groin. The legionary let out a high pitched squeal and crumpled to the ground. The roar of battle was deafening, as thousands of heavily armed and armored soldiers fought against each other with every ounce of strength that they had. The Stormcloaks ferociously trying to hack down and brutally slay every Imperial that they could, and the Imperials desperately trying to hold back the Stormcloak on slot. Bodies began to quickly pile up, and the ground that was already made slippery by rainfall was only becoming more slick from the gore that was being spilled upon it. The Imperials began to disintegrate away under the Stormcloak assault.

Torhild slashed right with her sword, relieving a legionary of his head. Hot blood spurted across her face as the legionary collapsed dead to the ground. Torhild let out an almost orgasmic cry of glee as the imperial's blood splashed across her face. The sensation of her enemies hot blood splattering onto her face just further encouraged Torhild to continue to kill as many Imperials as she could, and as rapidly as possible. Quickly looking for her next victim she targeted a legionary fighting a winning battle with a lightly armored Stormcloak. The Stormcloak, having only a hand axe and no shield was at a distinct disadvantage in the fight, and would be quickly slain be the legionary if Torhild didn't intervene. Transferring her sword from her right hand into her left, Torhild drew her dagger and in one fluid motion stepped behind the legionary and sliced his throat open with her dagger. The legionary dropped his sword and shield and reached for his neck as he fell to the ground. Torhild sheathed her dagger, and using her left arm reached around and pulled the legionaries head back before he hit the ground causing him to emit a disturbing gurgling sound from his wound and as well as additional spurts of blood from the deep slash across his neck. Slapped her right hand across the wound bathing it in the hot blood of the legionary, she took her blood soaked hand and proceeded to smear it across her face. Only then did she allow the lifeless corpse of the legionary to crumple to the ground. The Stormcloak that she had saved nodded a quick thanks to her and hurried back into the fray unfazed by nearly having been killed.

Torhild felt a glowing sensation deep within her loins, almost as if she was with a man, she was in a state of pure blood lust. Preparing to transfer her sword back into her right hand, out of the corner of her eye she spotted an Imperial centurion charging at her from her left. The Imperial was tall and formidable looking, clad in his mail armor, horizontally crested helm, and emitting a savage war cry, but Torhild was not phased for a second. She grabbed a javelin logged in the stomach of a dying legionary at her feet, yanked it free of him, and hurled it at the oncoming centurion. The javelin flew true, smashing dead center into the centurion's face with such force it knocked him backwards off his feet and sent his shield flying out of his hand. Torhild smiled savagely at the brutal end the foolish centurion had met, in her mind hoping that he didn't die to quickly. It was then that she realized the legionary that she had pulled the javelin free from was lightly holding onto her leg. Torhild looked down at the dying legionary, his face had gone pale, his eyes were glazing over, and blood flowed from his mouth and nose, but yet he still clung to life. The legionary was looking up at her, as if he was trying to ask her to put him out of his misery. Hate surged through Torhild's veins, and she shook her leg free from his grasp and proceeded to stomp his face in with her iron plated boot, she felt the legionaries skull shatter under her assault. Looking up from the now dead legionary she let out a blood curdling war cry and charged back into the thick of the fighting butchering many more Imperials without remorse or mercy.

The battle raged on for hours, the light drizzle that had been going on at the beginning of the battle had turned into a down pour by the afternoon. The combination of heavy rain, blood, and spilled innards had turned the battle field into a slippery mess adding just one more layer of misery to the battle. The shrill cries of the dying filled the air to the point that they were easily audible over the crash of steel and war cries that also filled the air. Throughout the coarse of the battle there were pauses in the fighting as the Stormcloaks would break contact with the Imperials, withdraw into the woods and attack at another point along the Imperial column. Torhild simply did not have enough warriors to attack along the entire length of the Imperial Army at the same time, so she had to destroy it in segments. At no point, however, did the Imperials ever obtain the upper hand in the fighting, and by nightfall the majority of the Imperials lay either dead or dying on the rain, mud, and blood drenched field. Those Imperials who were lucky enough to escape from the battlefield retreated south towards the safety of Cyrodiil. Three entire legions had been destroyed that day by Torhild and her army.

As the last remnants daylight rapidly faded away Torhild stood in the middle of one of the many killing fields that the battlefield was comprised of. Hundreds upon hundreds of dead and dying Imperials and Stormcloaks lay at her feet. Torhild stood some five foot, ten inches tall and was clad in chainmail armor, she looked like a true nord heroine to the warriors under her command. The unrelenting rain had washed the blood of numerous Imperials off of her, much to her displeasure, she would have preferred to remained covered in it until she was able to bathe again. Torhild remained their, looking at the field of death and watching her warriors sift through the bodies to find wounded comrades, and finish off dying Imperials. No mercy would be shown to the Imperial dogs. A small smile crept across her beautiful, yet fierce, face as she thought about all of the true Nords that had had the pleasure of going to Sovngarde this day, and of the Imperial bastards that had been sent to Oblivion. While Torhild was lost in her thoughts, Vigdis; silently stepped over the bloody, battered, and mutilated bodies of the fallen making her way over towards Torhild.

"You have won a great victory for Skyrim today Torhild." Vigdis said with pride filling her voice as she closed the distance between her and Torhild. Torhild, hearing the voice of her beloved friend turned towards Vigdis grinning. Vigdis went on, "They will sing of this victory for countless years in mead halls all across Skyrim, and surely it is being sung about even now by our glorious dead brothers and sisters in Sovngarde!"

Torhild's cheeks flushed as her dear friend praised her, but the embarrassment and pride that had shown on her face moments before turned to deep concern as she noticed that Vigdis was covering a wound to her abdomen with her left hand and had a slight limp to her step.

Trying to hide the concern in her voice Torhild spoke, "My dear sister, you are wounded! what happened?"

"It's nothing, just a lucky blow landed by one of those damned legionaries while I was busy severing the head off of one of his comrades. Heh, the legionary that stabbed me met a much more painful end then his friend did." Vigdis replied with a beaming smile on her face.

To Vigdis, battle wounds were marks of prestige and accomplishment and so getting them didn't bother her in the least, in fact she felt more successful in battle when she did receive them. It meant that she had been right in the thick of the fighting and had achieved much glory, and spilled the blood of many enemies. Torhild, on the other hand, despite her love of battle did not feel the same way, and she tried to keep her smooth skin as scar free as possible. That said, she was one of the fiercest warriors in the whole of the Stormcloak army and never shied away from the heat of battle for fear of getting wounded or even killed.

"Good" stated Torhild. "Now, has anyone managed to find the son of a whore that lead this damned Imperial army into our sacred lands? I've looked for the bastard myself, but have yet to find him amongst all of his dead fellow Imperial dogs. By Talos, we slaughtered so many Imperials here today!"

"Actually," Vigdis responded "that is what I have come to tell you my lady. The bastards body was found disemboweled under a dead horse. It looks as though he met his sorry end by a slash from a two-handed axe" Both Vigdis and Torhild broke out laughing, trying to imagine the scene of the general having his innards spilled out onto the ground due to a blow from a battleaxe.

"Serves him right! I hope he suffered for a long while before death took him." Torhild snorted. Then her voice shifted to a icy tone as she continued, "Now, I want his head cut off, put into a basket, with his manhood shoved into his mouth, and sent too Solitude. I want that bastard Tullius, and that milk drinking whore Elisif too see what has happened to the soldiers their petty emperor sent here to reinforce them. Perhaps, if they have any sense, they will decide to do themselves a favor and leave Skyrim upon seeing my gift to them"

"It will be done my lady." After a moments pause Vigdis chuckled and added, "It's a nice touch having the manhood of their general shoved into his mouth too. I'm not sure how you think of these things Torhild, but by Talos I'm glad that you do. It should give those milk drinkers in Solitude a startle at any rate. If we are lucky maybe it will even cause a couple of them to faint." With that, Vigdis turned and marched off to carry out Torhild's orders.

Torhild watched as Vigdis made her way out of sight to presumably carry out her orders and thought to herself how lucky she was to have a friend like Vigdis. She also admired how well Vigdis appeared to mask the pain she was obviously in. Her thoughts turned away from Vigdis and back to herself. She was tired, hungry, and sore from battle and would very much like to retire to camp and rest. After one last glance around, the now dark, battlefield Torhild began to make her way slowly back to camp. Come morning she would rise early to help her warriors go about the process of decapitating every dead Imperial that still had their head attached to their body and piling the heads up as a warning. She would also help in the burying of her dead, a very important task and one that she regretted would have to be put off until tomorrow. It was of great importance to Torhild that her honored dead received a proper burial and goodbye, and she would not break camp and move away from the battlefield until that task had been accomplished.

Torhild sat in her dimly lit tent listening to the rain pouring down outside. The tent she sat in was fairly plain and simple, it had a bedroll for her to sleep in, and a desk and chair for her to sit, work, and eat at. The idea of living in luxury while her warriors slept on the ground did not abide well with Torhild, so she refused the luxuries many generals had for themselves while in the field. Instead she choose to live the way her warriors did for the most part. She was exhausted both mentally and physically from the days battle, but yet she forced herself to remain awake so that she could finish one last task before turning into for a night of well earned sleep. She reached her arms up above her head stretching and producing a long yawn, after which she reached down into the bag by her desk and withdrew a sheet of parchment to write a letter upon. She stared down at the blank parchment for sometime composing the letter she was about to write mentally, finally she dipped her quill into her ink jar and began to scratch away on the parchment.

Father,

I wish to inform you that today my army and I met the Imperials on the glorious field of battle and utterly defeated them. We defeated three entire legions and their auxiliary! Perhaps the next time the emperor decides to send more of his pathetic soldiers from Cyrodiil to try and aid in the oppression of us sons and daughters of Skyrim he will think twice of it. Or, perhaps just not march them up through the Rift, though I would be disappointed by this since I love fighting the Imperials. Unfortunately, despite crushing the Imperials I lost many good warriors today, and I fear that I will have to double down on my recruitment efforts to just replace my losses in a timely manner. Though the Rift has sided with us, it is still full of many milk drinkers that support the Empire, as well as a large number of scum suckers that I would not trust to guard my luggage let alone fight next to me in glorious battle, and thus my pool of warriors to recruit from is not as large as I would like it to be. Though I'm sure you already know this. Speaking of the Rift, since the last letter I sent to you I have heard reports that a dark elf camp has been established somewhere to the north of Riften. It makes my blood boil that this filth is coming into the Rift, it's bad enough that they have a foothold in Eastmarch, but I vow to not let the same happen here in the Rift. I will use whatever means necessary to convince them that I wont welcome their kind into territory under my protection. Vigdis has asked me to allow her to take a raiding party to find this dark elf camp and wipe it off the face of Skyrim, but as much as it would please me to do this I am not eager to send some of my warriors off to fight dark elf filth when I might need them to fight against the Imperials and milk drinkers. I hope that you approve of this coarse of action? I have heard that Jarl Balgruuf has yet to pick a side in the war, is this true? It angers me that a man that is so indecisive can be the Jarl of a hold as large and as wealthy as Whiterun. If it is true that he has yet to choose a side, maybe I will need to travel to Whiterun and have a little talk with him and personally convince him to join the cause for a free Skyrim. One last thing, I think you would like to know that I have had the head of the general that commanded the Imperial army I defeated cut off and put in a basket and sent to Solitude as a gift for Tullius and Elisif, oh and his man hood has been placed into his own mouth. That is all the news from my front, I hope to hear from you soon father.

with love,
    Torhild

Torhild looked the letter over, and nodding with satisfaction folded up the parchment, placed it into an envelope, and sealed it shut. She would send the letter to her father tomorrow morning, waiting a few more hours for it to get sent wouldn't hurt she thought to herself. Getting up from her desk, Torhild blew out the candles that illuminating her tent and stumbled over to her bedroll and rolled herself up in it. She listened to the rain pattering against the outside of her tent, which she found very relaxing, and thought about the days battle, but slowly she drifted off too sleep. However, not before she wished several times that she had the warm comfort of a strong man next to her. Torhild was a very strong and fiercely independent women that had taken care of herself from a young age, but in the cold, dark, loneliness of the night, she did long for a lovers companionship. Though she would deny it firmly if anyone accused her of desiring a lover.

Jarl Elisif sat slouched in her chair bored at court inside the Blue Palace in Solitude. She sat listening to General Tullius, Legate Rikke, Captain Aldis, and several other senior Imperial officers discussing the best way to defend the city should the Stormcloaks decide to attack. The room they were in was poorly lit, stuffy, and filled with tobacco smoke as Imperial officers smoked their pipes they seemed to enjoy so much. Elisif found the aroma of the smoke slightly nauseating, and wondered to herself how the Imperials could stand it. Normally Elisif had no interest in military matters, and gladly let General Tullius conduct all said matters unmolested by her, but since they were discussing the safety and defense of the city Elisif decided it would be best if she was at least present for the discussion. Now however, she was regretting that decision and wished only for the meeting to be over and for the Imperial officers to withdraw from the palace and go back to the castle where they normally resided. Elisif was hungry, having not eaten breakfast that morning and wished to dine, but the meeting would just not end due too General Tullius and Legate Rikke constantly going back and forth over whether or not if the city was to be attacked if the garrison should march out and meet the attackers head on or hide behind the cities walls. Legate Rikke, was of the strong opinion that should the city be attacked the defenders should march out and fight the Stormcloaks in open battle, General Tullius however was not convinced and had his mind set on staying behind the walls and forcing the Stormcloaks to fight a long and costly siege battle. Elisif, not that anyone would care she thought, liked Legate Rikke's idea better. She did not want a battle to actually be fought in the city. The idea of being trapped inside the city while Ulfric and his marauders lay siege to the city did not sit well with her at all, in fact the mere idea of it caused her to sweat at the brow.

"General," Legate Rikke said with a passion in her voice. "There is no honor in hiding behind the walls if we are attacked. If Ulfric wants a battle, then I say we march out and give him a battle. The legions of old would not hide behind city walls, they would march out and fight their enemies in open glorious battle, and I see no reason why we couldn't do the same. Sure..."

General Tullius cut her off, "Legate Rikke." he stated firmly. "If Ulfric and his rebels manage to be in a position to be able to launch an assault on Solitude, then it only goes to reason that we would be in no shape to march out and fight him in the open. If we are attacked here, we will hold the rebels at the walls until reinforcements arrive from Cyrodiil. Besides, this war will be over by winter anyways so I'm not sure why we are wasting our time arguing over this. The three additional legions coming up from the south will give us the strength we need to crush the traitor Ulfric in a matter of months. It is only a matter of time before they arrive, and when they do we will go on the offensive and end this damned war once and for all."

Legate Rikke frowned, but she knew better then to reply. General Tullius had made up his mind, and she was sure there was nothing she could say to change it. Also, at some point deep in the back of her mind she realized he had a point. If Ulfric was able to launch an attack on Solitude then that would mean that the legions had been defeated and would be in no shape to fight an open battle. It was at this point when Jarl Elisif, wishing to contribute something to the discussion, spoke up.

"General Tullius, if I may change the subject here briefly, have we found out whether or not Jarl Balgruuf will support us yet? I am very anxious as to whether or not he will remain loyal...my husband spoke highly of him so I do hope decides to remain loyal."

Tullius, slightly surprised that Elisif finally spoke up and said something replied, "No, the stubborn old bastard still says that he is, 'on the side of Whiterun.' Whatever in the hell that means." He shifted his gaze away from Elisif and towards Rikke and sarcastically added, "I thought you Nords were suppose to be a hardheaded and decisive bunch, not weak and indecisive. This Jarl Balgruuf is giving you bunch a bad name."

The other Imperial officers in the room quietly chuckled at Tullius' last remark, but Anger flashed across Rikke's face at the jest Tullius had just given her. Before she could respond to it however, a steel plate clad palace guard swiftly and noisily marched into the room carrying what appeared to be a sealed box of some sort. The guard stopped abruptly just shy of the table where all of the members of the meeting were sitting at.

"I apologize for the interruption my lords," the guard stated in a formal tone, "but we just received this... box and a message saying that it is urgent that the Jarl Elisif and General Tullius see the contents immediately. We received the box, from what appeared to be an Imperial envoy, but he didn't stick around long enough for the gate guards to question him thoroughly as to who he was and who sent the message. He just said it was urgent and concerned the war."

Jarl Elisif sat up strait in her chair, her curiosity had been peaked, and she motioned for the guard to come over and place the box down on the table in front of her. In Elisif's mind she raced through possible theories as too what the box contained thus continuing to build the anticipation she felt for opening the box and finding out what the contents were. The guard gently set the box down on the table in front of Elisif, gave a slight formal bow, and did a precise about face and marched out of the room. All the others that were in the room shifted their positions as too better see what was in the box when Jarl Elisif opened it. General Tullius went so far as to stand up from his seat at the Jarl's right and move to stand behind her. Elisif studied the box, it was plain brown, had two brass handles on the side, the Imperial crest was carved into the top of the box, and a simple brass latch keeping it shut. Elisif pulled the box a little bit closer to herself, with her anticipation building she worked the latch and opened it up. Inside the box was the severed and rotting head of General Publious Crassus, the commander of the army the emperor had dispatched to Skyrim to help put down the Stormcloak rebellion. Elisif was mortified at seeing the head, but when she realized what was stuffed into the general's mouth she let out a shrill shriek of horror and disgust, and with the speed of a startled rabbit she jumped up, and stormed out of the room towards a nearby balcony to get some fresh air and to prevent the military men and women in the room from seeing the tears that had begun to stream down from her eyes.

The room was in a stunned silence, hardly any of the Imperial officers had noticed Jarl Elisif's quick retreat from the room instead they all gathered around where the box was sat staring in a stunned silence at the grotesque content of the box. General Tullius was the first to notice that along with the head there was also a note in the box. He reached down into the box, careful to avoid touching the head with his bare hand and procured the note. Tullius furrowed his brow decided whether or not he should read the note aloud, finally deciding that he should. He cleared his throat loudly, causing everyone in the room to look up at him and began to read.

I hope that you enjoy your gift Jarl Elisif and General Tullius. It took quiet some effort to find your general amongst your countless dead that littered the battlefield. If you do not leave Skyrim, it will soon be your heads in boxes and it will be your emperor that receives them. With regards, the Palewolf.

Tullius looked up from the note and spoke, "Who in the oblivion is this Palewolf barbarian, and how in the Emperor's name did he destroy three legions?"

Rikke, looked around at the other officers in the room and concluded that none of them would, or could answer the general's questions, thus she decided that it fell upon her to answer the generals question. Speaking in a voice much less fiery then her usual self she spoke, "General, the Palewolf is the commander of the Stormcloak army in the Rift. We... we dont really know all that much about her, other then she is a strong warrior, a women, and apparently a competent general."

"Well does this Palewolf women have an actual name, or is that really her name? You Nords do seem to have a tendency to name your children strange things so it wouldn't surprise me if this was her actual name." Tullius snapped.

"We dont know, sir." Rikke responded calmly. "Up until this point our intelligence assets have not been focusing that much on the Stormcloak presence in the Rift, due to it being located quite far away from where we predict most of the fighting will take place. Sir, you yourself said we should focus our intelligence assets on rebel activity in the Pale, Eastmarch, and Whiterun, as that is where most of the fighting in this war is most likely to take place. Though now we know that was an unfortunate mistake." Rikke's voice trailed off.

"So I did, so I did." Tullius replied angry with himself that he didn't have more information available to him about this Palewolf, and that he could only blame himself for the lack of information. "By the emperor..." he muttered to himself. Tullius took a few moments to gather his thoughts, and then spoke again. "Legate Rikke, I wish for you to draft orders to be sent with all haste to the legates of the legions stationed in the Reach, Hjaalmarch, and Falkreath that they are immediately and personally to come to Solitude for war council. It seems that we will be needing to create a new strategy on riding Skyrim of this rebel scum, and I want all of the legions legates here so they dont misunderstand any of my orders. This war just got a lot more...complicated, and we cant afford to have legates not understanding orders."

"It shall be done General Tullius." Rikke replied. She then snapped to attention shot out a salute, turned, and marched out of the room to carry out her orders.

Tullius smiled to himself as Rikke left. He thought, Rikke may be a stubborn Nord women that doesn't fully understand all of the complexities that go into waging a successful war, but she does know how to follow orders. If only some of my other legates were as good as she was at following my orders, his thoughts drifting towards the legate in command of the legion stationed in the Reach. Dealing with that legate would have to wait though, Tullius concluded. First thing first, he needed a guard to dispose of this...box and he needed to return to the castle so he could study his maps and begin reformulating his campaign plans to rid Skyrim of these rebels now having to factor in the reinforcements from Cyrodiil he had been counting on arriving to bolster his strength were destroyed. It now seemed to him that the war probably wouldn't be over by winter, as he had thought it would be just a few minutes earlier, but would go on much longer lasting perhaps two or three full campaign seasons. The thought of this depressed the general.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's a wonderful start you have there, it's interesting as there are so many possibilities to which this can open to. The line between Fan Fiction and AARs are sometimes blurred, and my own AAR can count as a Fan Fiction itself I suppose, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. No worries about busting the lore as well, reinventing keeps the readers interested. (me! ) I loved your subtle descriptions of the atmosphere and character emotions, that really suited the mood you portrayed. It's also great to see some military action right at the start, something I like! The possibility of a long war will definitely keep readers like me interested, and your writing is also quite good. Just note the few spelling/grammatical errors, and absolutely run this through Microsoft Word before you post it here...saves you the trouble of 500 Internal Server Errors and losing your hard typed chapters...

Looking forward to the next chapter! +rep

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

I like your first chapter. It is always hard to find a balance between establishing the setting and avoiding boredom! I assume because this is a true fan fic that there will not be any pictures? you have struck a good note and I like your writing style. I noticed the same errors as Swaeft and I probably would have made the chapter a little shorter. But that is just personal preference. Keep it up and hope to see more!!. You deserve some rep for sure

That's a wonderful start you have there, it's interesting as there are so many possibilities to which this can open to. The line between Fan Fiction and AARs are sometimes blurred, and my own AAR can count as a Fan Fiction itself I suppose, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. No worries about busting the lore as well, reinventing keeps the readers interested. (me! ) I loved your subtle descriptions of the atmosphere and character emotions, that really suited the mood you portrayed. It's also great to see some military action right at the start, something I like! The possibility of a long war will definitely keep readers like me interested, and your writing is also quite good. Just note the few spelling/grammatical errors, and absolutely run this through Microsoft Word before you post it here...saves you the trouble of 500 Internal Server Errors and losing your hard typed chapters...

Looking forward to the next chapter! +rep
    Thank you for the very kind words Swaeft, and I am glad that you are liking my story so far. I do all of my writing in Word before transferring it over here, besides keeping it safe from forum errors I like to have it all in one place. When I was reading through your aar, and came to the post where you said you lost an update due to a server error I felt so bad for you. I'm so sorry that you had that bit of bad luck.

I like your first chapter. It is always hard to find a balance between establishing the setting and avoiding boredom! I assume because this is a true fan fic that there will not be any pictures? you have struck a good note and I like your writing style. I noticed the same errors as Swaeft and I probably would have made the chapter a little shorter. But that is just personal preference. Keep it up and hope to see more!!. You deserve some rep for sure
    You assume correctly, there wont be any pictures. Perhaps since there wont be any pictures to break up the large blocks of text I should consider shortening the length of my future updates. I have already begun work on the second chapter, and it is going to contain several interconnecting events, but maybe instead of just releasing it as one big update I will release it in smaller chunks. I wouldn't want my readers to be overloaded after all. haha. Oh, and Chirurgeon, I have begun reading your Nascent Ranger aar's and once I am fully caught up I will be sure to comment on them.

and I would just like to give a general thank you to everyone that has taken the time to read my story so far.

Another thing is that when you release in shorter chunks it allows you to see feedback and maybe make some changes or if you are like me suddenly wake up at three am and be like "omg thats a great idea!" anyway its just a suggestion but I like what I see so far. Keep it up

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

An epic read so far (I'm still trying to finish the chapter, it's massive). I'll have some real feed back once I'm done but I'm really enjoying what I've gotten through.

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Great read, loving it so far.

REP

Quote Originally Posted by Borissomeone View Post
    An epic read so far (I'm still trying to finish the chapter, it's massive). I'll have some real feed back once I'm done but I'm really enjoying what I've gotten through.
    I am glad that you are liking it so far, my old friend! I must also thank you, since it was your wonderful Thera fan fiction that really was the source for much of the inspiration I had in deciding to try and write my own.

On a general note, the first part of chapter two should hopefully be coming sometime later today.

Well here it is, Chapter 2 part 1. enjoy

The bright warm morning sun shinned down on the Reach legion's fort, located twenty miles to the southeast of the city of Markarth. The warm sun dried the ground, that had been getting drenched by rain for the past several days and the air filled with birds delighted to be able to take to the skies with out getting soaking wet. The men of the legion were awake, going about their morning routines, and drills with an enthusiastic vigor brought on by the pleasant change in the weather. The overall mood of the fort was cheerful, moral was high. The legion's fort was almost more of a city, then a military base. It was surrounded by stone walls, inside it contained markets, baths, smiths, mess halls, and taverns to provide for the needs of the soldiers and civilians living within the fort. The relatively good living conditions that the soldiers dwelt in however, did not mean they lived an easy and relaxed life. Everyday the soldiers trained, and drilled for hours in preparation of the day when they would be ordered out of their fort and into battle. Of all the legions stationed in Skyrim, it was the Reach legion that had the most combat experience, due to the constant fighting with the Forsworn tribes that dwelt within the Reach. That said, currently an uneasy peace exists between the majority of the Forsworn tribes and the Nords and Imperials that rule the Reach, so the men of the legion hadn't seen any action of late.

Flavius Suetonius lay naked on his bed in his dark and cool quarters on this warm sunny morning. Suetonius stood six foot two inches tall, had brown crew cut hair, blue eyes, and a muscular body forged over the twenty years he has so far spent in the legion. Next to Suetonius lay the naked Reach women that had accompanied him to bed last night, as well as several other nights before that. Like most Reach women she was not all that tall, had long brunette hair, brown eyes, and was suitably large in places that cause men to take special notice of her. Suetonius lay there silently listening to the Reach women's, who he did not remember the name of, soft breathing as she slept. He admired the soft silky texture of the women's skin, remembering how it felt pressed up against his far more rough and rugged skin the night before. His thoughts drifted back to the previous night at how energetic and vigorously the women had relieved him of his stresses and worries. Suetonius smiled to himself and thought, these Reach women certainly do know how to make a man happy, and If it wasn't for the fact they were Reach women I would consider marring one. Suetonius' thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a firm pounding on his quarter's heavy wooden door.

"Legate Suetonius sir," a gruff voice called from outside. "Sir, you wished for me to wake you when Senior Tribune Valorous arrived back at camp this morning."

"By the emperor's balls..." Suetonius muttered to himself completely having forgotten about those orders he issued last night before retiring to bed. With some effort he sat up in his bed and loudly said, so as to be heard through the door, "Noted, I will be out in a few minutes."

Suetonius rubbed the sleep from out of his eyes, climbed out of bed, stretched, and started the process of dressing himself. Despite his high rank in the legion Suetonius still preferred to dress as though he was a lower ranking officer and as such none of his clothes were of fancy nature. The idea of dressing in luxury simply because he could didn't sit well with Suetonius, he preferred a more simple look. The Reach women, who had been awaked by the sudden assault on the door, got up out of bed and wordlessly began to help Suetonius dress. Several times during the dressing process Suetonius had to close his eyes and fight down the urge to bed the Reach women for what would have been the forth time in twelve hours. After what took longer then it should have Suetonius was finally dressed, he grabbed his sword, and walked over to the door to his quarters and exited the room. Upon stepping out into the hallway outside of his quarters Suetonius was greeted by a saluting Senior Centurion Gaius Plumley. Plumley was tall, nearly as tall as Suetonius, though Plumley was built leaner then the more muscular Suetonius. Plumley had silver gray hair, a clean shaven face, dark imposing eyes, and a tough chiseled jaw line. He was an imposing sight, especially for the younger soldiers in the legion. Suetonius immediately snapped to attention and returned the salute his old friend, who had served with Suetonius ever since his first posting, was giving him. Not for the first or last time Suetonius caught himself thinking that he was glad he would never have to face Plumley in a fight.

"Well senior centurion, lets go and see what Valorous has found out," Suetonius groggily said. " I hope he has good news about those replacements that are suppose to be on there way from Helgen, the way things are looking we are definitely going to need to be at full strength sooner rather then later. Not only are the damned Forsworn getting restless, but the war with the Stormcloaks seems to be heating up, and knowing Tullius he might make the error of ordering us out of the Reach to go fight them."

The two men began to walk down the hallway towards the exit when Plumley replied. "Well sir, if those replacements do get here we are still gunna haft too train em up before those green pussies are fit to go into battle with us."

Suetonius smiled and laughed at Plumley's response. "You are correct, as usual Senior Centurion," he got in between laughs.

The Two men stepped out of the hallway and out into the bright crisp morning air. Suetonius sucked in a deep breath taking in all of the aromas produced by the fort, and listened to the sounds of soldiers bantering with each other and training. Plumley, on the other hand, simply turned north and began marching at a brisk pace towards the northern gate of the fort. For a moment Suetonius thought about telling Plumley to slow his pace, so that he could better enjoy the morning, but Suetonius decided against it knowing that it would only sour Plumley's mood more then it already was. As the pair marched north legionaries would stop what they were doing and snap to attention as a sign of respect and proper military edict as their commander and senior centurion passed them by. Suetonius would often nod acknowledgment too his men, but Plumley kept on marching ahead with clear purpose. As the two neared the northern gate Suetonius spotted a cluster of men and horses near the gatehouse recognize them Valorous' escort, but he didn't see Valorous at first. It took him a moment to set eyes on the lanky officer, but when he did he noticed he was talking to what appeared to be a messenger of some kind. Approaching Valorous, Suetonius called out a greeting with a broad smile on his face, to his subordinate and long time friend. Suetonius had met Valorous back when they were both attending the Imperial War College, it had not taken long for the two to become good friends. As luck would have it, they would both be sent to the same first posting as well thus sealing the friendship and partnership between the two men.

"Valorous! For the love of the emperor, please tell me that you have come bearing good news about those damned replacements from Helgen that should have arrived here two weeks ago. I grow tired of waiting for those lazy whores to arrive."

Hearing his friend and commanders voice Valorous turned from the conversation he was having with the messenger to address the approaching Suetonius. In his normal excited voice Valorous spoke, "I do indeed bring good news, sir. The replacements from Helgen are just a mere three days march from here and will be arriving in said time. The commander of the replacements wished for me to tell you that he is sorry for their delay, and that it is due to the large influx of new recruits being trained at Helgen."

Suetonius furrowed his brow at this and replied angrily, "By the emperors balls Valorous! Is that really the excuse the bastard gave you to try and excuse their tardiness? If you ask me, there lateness probably has more to do with Tullius not wanting to send me any replacements. That... man has had it out for me ever since I was able to secure the peace with the largest of the Forsworn tribes when he could not, and this is just the latest thing he is doing to hinder me as punishment."

Valorous, being not nearly as outspoken as Suetonius, paused for a few moments before answering not wishing to lay such harsh and direct criticism on the commander of all Imperial forces in Skyrim. Though he did agree that Tullius probably shouldn't be the commander of the Imperial forces in Skyrim. "Sir, I think you may be being a bit harsh towards Tullius in this matter. I mean it is true that our training facilities at Helgen are overcrowded currently and I can see how that might cause some delays in getting freshly trained troops out to their posts. Even so, I agree it is pathetic that it has taken so long for our replacements to arrive."

"As always you speak with a much more level head then I on matters pertaining to our esteemed General Tullius." Suetonius replied quickly. "Now" continuing, "who is this messenger that you are talking with here, and does he carry any messages?"

Before Valorous was able to reply the messenger stepped forward, saluted the legate, and proceeded to speak. "Legate Suetonius, sir, I have a message for you from Legate Rikke." The messenger promptly withdraw a sealed envelope from the leather bag he carried at his side and handed it to Suetonius.

Suetonius did not care for Legate Rikke for a number of reasons, first and foremost he thought of her as Tullius' lap dog, secondly he did not like the fact that a Nord women had reached the rank of legate and had been awarded command of a legion, and thirdly he simply found her to be a revolting women. As he grabbed the letter from the messenger Suetonius was already very suspicious of its contents. He suspected that it probably contained orders he could have gone with out receiving. The thought also crossed his mind, that this might be the letter containing the orders that relieved him of command of the Reach legion, something Suetonius believed Tullius wished to do. He opened the letter and hastily read the contents to himself.

Legate Suetonius,

General Tullius has instructed me to inform you that he is going to hold a council of war in Solitude to formulate a strategy to crush the Stormcloak rebellion once and for all. You are ordered to make your way to Solitude as quickly as you can so that you can be present for the council. Under no circumstance are you to send one of your officers in place of yourself, you are to come personally.

Legate Rikke

Suetonius' face began to turn a crimson color from the anger engulfing him after reading the letter from Rikke. The idea of personally being called to report to Solitude for a war council seemed ridiculous to him. In Suetonius' mind there was no need for him to attend, Tullius should be able to come up with his own plan for defeating the Stormcloaks and then issue out orders to his legions accordingly he thought. Tullius is after all the supreme commander of all Imperial forces in Skyrim, and shouldn't need to listen to his legates to form a battle plan. Besides Suetonius thought, the Reach legion really can't, or shouldn't, play much of a roll in the fight against the Stormcloaks anyways. The moment his legion leaves the Reach to go and fight the Stormcloaks in some distant part of Skyrim the Forsworn would seize the opportunity to rise up in rebellion to try and take control of the Reach for themselves yet again and without the legion there they would likely succeed. None the less, Suetonius knew that if he defied these orders and sent Valorous in his stead to this meeting, it would likely give Tullius the excuse he needs to sack him as the legate of the Reach legion.

Suetonius crumpled up the letter and spoke hotly to the messenger trying but failing to contain the anger in his voice. "Go get yourself a hot meal from a mess hall, and then I want you to ride with haste back to Solitude and let our esteemed General Tullius know that I will be at his war council." The messenger saluted and quickly made off to go and get himself some food, not wishing to remain around the legate any longer as he had been clearly angered by the letters contents.

Suetonius turned his attention away from the messenger and towards Plumley and Valorous who were now standing next to one and other. "It seems that I am needed in Solitude to help General Tullius devise a battle plan to defeat this Stormcloak rebellion that is going on." Suetonius focused on Plumley and continued, "Senior Centurion, if it wasn't for the replacements arriving soon and the fact I need you to oversee their training I would ask you too accompany me. Fortunately for you however, it is of far more importance that you to remain here and oversee that training. Those green troops are going to need to be whipped into battle shape quicker then we had original thought."

Suetonius now turned his attention away from Plumley and towards Valorous. "Valorous, you will be in command of the legion during my absence." Pausing momentarily Suetonius then added with a smile on his face, "try not to pick too many fights with the Forsworn while I'm away. I would Like to at least try and maintain the peace here in the Reach for a while longer."

Valorous and Plumley both rattled off their understanding of their commanders orders after he had finished speaking, and then headed off in their separate directions to take care of the things that they needed to take care of. Suetonius watched both men walk away, and silently thanked the heavens that he had both of those men serving with him. Suetonius trusted both of them with his life, and he would be willing to lay down his life for either of them in return. Deciding that he needed to clear his mind Suetonius walked through the gate out of the fort and joined up with a company of men preparing to undergo their daily two mile run. Ever since Suetonius first joined legion he had found that running was able to help clear his mind and relax him, and this day proved be no different.

Early the following morning, before the sun had fully risen over the horizon, Suetonius and his personal bodyguard mounted their horses and set out on the long trip north towards Solitude. Assuming that there were no delays it would take nearly a week and a half for them to make the trip north. Suetonius departed feeling angry at Tullius for forcing him too make this trip and leave his men. When he arrived at Solitude he promised himself that he would question Tullius as much as he could get away with. He intended on making his commanding officer regret requesting his presence at the war council. Thinking about Tullius being angered at his presence made Suetonius smile savagely, and allowed him to enjoy the cool damp morning air.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Now that was an interesting chapter! All this political infighting within the Legion is really intriguing, and it is sure to intensify during the war council. Thank you for injecting some humor into the passage too. "By the Emperor's Balls' got me cracking for a while Please continue writing, and I hope to see the next chapter soon! Will Legate Suetonius be ambushed on the way there? Will the Forsworn ally with the Stormcloaks? So many possibilities!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    I am glad that you are liking it so far, my old friend! I must also thank you, since it was your wonderful Thera fan fiction that really was the source for much of the inspiration I had in deciding to try and write my own.

On a general note, the first part of chapter two should hopefully be coming sometime later today.
    You sir are far to kind! I'm still making my way through the first chapter (yes I am the slowest reader in the world). I noticed that your style or flow of writing is getting better as the chapter progresses, it was a little stiff at first but is much more enjoyable to read the deeper you get into the chapter.

The battle scene is very cool. You paint a vivid picture of the fighting, which I really like.

Keep it up and I'll continue to enjoy your story and provide feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Now that was an interesting chapter! All this political infighting within the Legion is really intriguing, and it is sure to intensify during the war council. Thank you for injecting some humor into the passage too. "By the Emperor's Balls' got me cracking for a while Please continue writing, and I hope to see the next chapter soon! Will Legate Suetonius be ambushed on the way there? Will the Forsworn ally with the Stormcloaks? So many possibilities!
    I am glad you enjoyed part 1 Haha, I'm not even really sure how I came up with that phrase but when I did I knew that it fit Suetonius' personality well. In the spirit of full disclosure part 2 is ready to be released, but I am going to hold off on it for a while to give everyone a chance to catch up. In regards to your question about a possible ambush and Forsworn activity, well you will just have to wait and see.

You sir are far to kind! I'm still making my way through the first chapter (yes I am the slowest reader in the world). I noticed that your style or flow of writing is getting better as the chapter progresses, it was a little stiff at first but is much more enjoyable to read the deeper you get into the chapter.

The battle scene is very cool. You paint a vivid picture of the fighting, which I really like.

Keep it up and I'll continue to enjoy your story and provide feedback.
    Haha well it is true! Dont worry about it, I know the chapter is long I'm just glad you are reading it. I actually notice that myself when I'm typing, it seems when I first start typing the flow isn't as natural as I would like but as I progress things seem to flow more naturally. It probably has something to do with my lack of experience in the creative writing department. lol. Thanks, I was really hoping that I succeeded in creating a suitably vivid and savage battle scene.

Default Re: [Skyrim FF] An Age of Aggression

Chapter 2 part 2 I hope everyone enjoys

Legate Flavius Suetonius sat at a large oak table inside one of the many rooms within Castle Dour. Suetonius was not alone however, in the room were also the other legates of the legions in Skyrim all of whom were clad in their dress steel muscle cuirasses. Along with the legates several other high ranking Imperial officers were in attendance as well. The group was waiting for General Tullius to arrive so that the anticipated war council could begin. While they waited most of the officers idly chatted with one another on a variety of different topics ranging from the war, to their families, the latest rumors, and where the best place was to get a drink in Solitude. Suetonius however did not participate in the conversations and instead focused on quietly loading his pipe with fresh tobacco and trying not to dwell on the fact that he loathed being here away from his men. Finishing loading his pipe Suetonius used a nearby candle to light up. He took several quick puffs on the pipe to get the tobacco burning good and even before taking his first real draw. Suetonius' mouth filled with warm smoke and his palate began registering the many subtle flavors of the tobacco. He nodded approvingly to himself impressed with the quality of the tobacco that had been provided for the officers to indulge in at the meeting, and thought that at least one good thing had come of this meeting. Suetonius was unable to enjoy his smoke for long however, as the doors to the room opened and in walked General Tullius. The general was clad in his formal dress armor, and had his gray-white hair slicked back. All of the officers in the room immediately rose to their feet and saluted their commanding officer as he entered the room, even Suetonius did so, although his salute was far more lazy and halfhearted then the others were.

"At ease gentlemen" Tullius spoke as he walked over to his seat at the head of the table. Tullius promptly sat down, and then motioned for the rest of the officers to take their seats. Tullius took up his pipe, that had been placed on the table before the meeting, and began to go through the process of getting it going all the while observing the other officers sitting at the table and noting with approval that all of the legates were present and accounted for. Silence had engulfed the smoke filled room as the officers waited for Tullius to begin the meeting. Suetonius began to grow impatient and wondered if Tullius was playing some sort of mind game with them as he took his precious time to get the meeting underway. Just before Suetonius was about to open his mouth to speak Tullius began.

"Good afternoon gentlemen," Tullius started "Firstly I would like to apologize for making you all wait on me. The Thalmor ambassador made an unexpected visit to the Blue Palace and Jarl Elisif wished for me to be at her side when she met with the ambassador."

Upon hearing Tullius' explanation for why he was late Suetonius rolled his eyes and nearly made a comment asking why he had needed to babysit the Jarl of Solitude. His better judgment however stopped him from making the remark, not wishing to anger the general this early in the meeting.

"Now, lets get down to business," Tullius continued, his tone turning somber. "First and foremost I am sure that some of you have heard rumors and it is with regret that I must confirm these rumors to be true. The army sent from Cyrodiil to help in the putting down of the Stormcloak rebellion was destroyed. Three legions and their supporting auxiliary troops were wiped out just north of the Skyrim Cyrodiil border in the Rift."

The room that had only been filled with Tullius' voice the moment before now erupted with the voices of the other officers in the room upon hearing the news of the three destroyed legions. Tullius eased back in his chair allowing his officers some time to process the information and giving himself the opportunity to judge their reactions. Unlike the others Suetonius remained silent, but inside he felt as though his head was about to explode due to his tempore flaring up. By the emperors balls! How in the oblivion could three entire legions be destroyed by these Stormcloak rebels, and who was the incompetent worthless bastard at the head of those legions? Suetonius angrily thought to himself, adding a thought about how he was almost surprised that it wasn't Tullius that had commanded them. After a few minutes of disorderly debate General Tullius raised his hands in the air signaling for silence, and silence descended back over the room.

Summoning as much confidence into his voice as he could, Tullius began to speak again. "So, with the unfortunate destruction of our reinforcing army it seems we will be on our own, for the foreseeable future anyways, in regards to destroying Ulfric and his rebels. I have none the less come up with a new plan for dealing with the rebels, and that is why you all are here."

Tullius paused in order to take a drink of wine, from the cup that had been placed at his seat prior to the start of the meeting, and then he continued. "As you all know, Jarl Balgruuf has yet to choose a side in this war, but that is about to change. A week ago I dispatched a courier to Whiterun with a message detailing how we believe the Stormcloaks are going to move into his hold and if Balgruuf doesn't side with them they will attack Whiterun and the surrounding villages and towns. The contents of the message are a bluff, but it is my hope that Balgruuf will buy into it enough to decide that it would be wise to side with us."

Grudgingly Suetonius admitted to himself that Tullius' plan to try and trick Balgruuf into thinking he was under imminent threat of attack from Ulfric was probably a decent way of getting him to side with the Empire. The Whiterun hold was in a key strategic position, dominating the center of Skyrim, and it would be in the Empires best interest if Balgruuf sided with them.

"I also" Tullius added, "promised Jarl Balgruuf five hundred auxiliary troops to help defend the city of Whiterun should it come under attack. What he doesn't know, is that I am also ordering our legion in the Reach to march to the Whiterun hold an re-garrison the abandoned Greymoor legion fort."

"By the emperor's balls!" Suetonius shouted out in rage at finding out his legion would be ordered out of the Reach. Everyone in the room stared at Suetonius shocked by his sudden and obscene outburst. Though Tullius had expected Suetonius to object, the sudden nature of the objection still caught him off guard.

Suetonius, quivering in rage paused for a moment to steady himself and gather his thoughts into an intelligible format before going on. "General Tullius, sir. I'm not sure if it has occurred to you or not but if I pull my legion out of the Reach the Forsworn tribes will take up arms and try too reclaim the Reach for themselves. I don't know about you, but the idea of fighting against the Stormcloaks and a new Forsworn uprising seems like a gods damned bad idea too me. Especially now after finding out that our reinforcements from Cyrodiil have been destroyed!"

"Legate Suetonius," Tullius stated firmly trying to keep his own temper in check. "This is not a matter for debate, I have made the decision and that decision is to have your legion march to the Whiterun hold and that is final. Defeating the Stormcloaks is of the utmost priority and having your legion remain in the Reach does nothing to help us quell Ulfric's rebellion." With a fair amount of sarcasm in his voice Tullius added, "If the Forsworn do rebel, then perhaps the so called peace you brokered with them wa..."

"Damn it!" Suetonius interjected angrily, while simultaneously slamming his right fist down on the table. "I brought peace to the majority of the Reach in just over two years, something that you were never able to do, and now you are just going to throw it away. Not only did I beat them on the battlefield but I also didn't treat them like animals like how you were. General you have always been jealous of my success where you fai..."

"Legate!" Tullius shouted his face turning beat red in rage. "If you speak out of line one more time I swear by the emperor I will have you arrested here and now for insubordination!"

It took all of Suetonius' will power to stop speaking, but he managed to do so not wishing to be arrested. He took the anger and rage he was feeling towards Tullius and shoved it deep down within himself. Suetonius felt as if his blood was boiling within his veins, and he briefly wondered if his forehead might explode from the thundering throbbing sensation in it. His forehead did not explode however, and he managed to steady himself by taking several long draws on his pipe.

Tullius, satisfied that he managed to get the insubordinate legate back into check smiled to himself. In the back of Tullius' mind he was in fact angry that Suetonius had managed to bring peace to the Reach when he couldn't, and now he was planning on using the Stormcloak rebellion as a chance to undermine the accomplishments of Suetonius. If the Forsworn did rebel it would be a localized rebellion and could be dealt with after the Stormcloaks have been finished off, but it would show everyone else in Skyrim that the peace Suetonius had secured was nothing more then a sham. That was Tullius' hope at any rate.

Tullius spoke again in a more even tone, "Now, before you cut me off Legate Suetonius, I was also going to inform you that I want you personally too head towards Whiterun and inform Balgruuf that your legion will be taking up residence in Fort Greymoor. For whatever reason you seem to be a fairly persuasive individual and I think you will be able to convince Balgruuf it is for the best that your legion is stationed there."

Suetonius sat in an annoyed silence at the table only half listening to the rest of what Tullius had to say. His mind was occupied thinking about how much of a bastard Tullius was, and how he is not fit to be the commander of Imperial forces in Skyrim. When his thoughts shifted away from cursing Tullius and some of his rage subsided he started thinking of a way to convince the Forsworn that they shouldn't rebel the instant he withdraws his legion from the Reach. For the moment though he wasn't coming up with any bright ideas on how to accomplish that, and so in disgust he turned his mind back towards cursing Tullius and hoping a troll wondered into Tullius' bed chambers with him in it.

As the meeting wore on Tullius further explained his plans, stating that along with wishing to take control of the Whiterun hold he also wanted to take control of The Pale before this years campaign season ends. Tullius tasked the legion currently stationed in Hjaalmarch with taking The Pale away from the Stormcloaks. The legion stationed in Haafingar, under the command of Legate Rikke, was to march into Hjaalmarch so that it wouldn't be left un-garrisoned. Rikke's legion would also then be in position to move to either reinforce the attack into the Pale or the holding of Whiterun should the need arise. The legion in Falkreath was to remain in Falkreath for now to guard against any incursions by the Stormcloaks from the Rift. Tullius also went on to explain that he was going to call up ten-thousand Nord foederati in order to increase the number of troops at the Empires disposal in Skyrim. Unlike the auxiliaries foederati were not issued any standardized equipment and were only given the most basic training. Foederati had to provide their own weapons and armors, thus they would be equipped in much the same fashion that the Stormcloaks were.

When the meeting finally ended Suetonius wasted no time in leaving his seat and setting out to go get drunk. For the time being he just wanted to clear his mind of the troubles Tullius had brought on to him, and he decided that drink would be the best way to accomplish that. Not wanting to drink at one of the officer bars inside of the castle and being at risk of running into Tullius he left Castle Dour and headed over to the Blue Palace to see if there were any places in there that would serve him good drink.

Finally finished chapter 1. Very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to reading chapter 2 (both parts). Thank you friend for such a great tale so far.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Why, this Tullius is really a scheming fox, ain't he? I hope he gets his head handed to him someday. He's not fit to command the legion at all! Anyways, a great piece of work and once again you have captured my attention. I hope to see chapter 3 soon!

Wow I really like this tale. Keep up the good work. It reminds me of when Varus lost the Roman Legions in the Teutoburg forest back in nine AD. Tragic and doublecrossing. I wonder if someone arranged for the ambush that may have known about the inner workings of the legion...

Okay, here is the third and final part of chapter 2.

Mead flowed freely down Flavius Suetonius' throat, as he drained the last mouthful of the drink from the bottom of his mug. Once emptied Suetonius slammed the empty mug down on the wooden bar in front of him and exhaled satisfied by the quality of mead he had just finished consuming. This was only his first mug full however, and he would need to drain sever more before he would reach the level of intoxication he aimed to achieve. Suetonius motioned to the wood elf barkeep, manning the bar at which he sat, to fill up his mug again. While waiting on his refill Suetonius took in the environment of the mead hall in which he found himself. He listened to the men and women loudly talking with one another, to the bards playing their musical instruments, and felt the heat emitting from one of the great fireplaces the mead hall contained on the back of his neck. The atmosphere in the Blue Palace's private mead hall was cheerful, just as a mead hall should be. Suetonius however was anything but cheerful, still angered and annoyed by the events that had transpired in the war council he had attended but a few hours earlier. The memory of his argument with general Tullius still very much fresh in his mind, and the fact that he had to pull his legion out of the Reach still made his head spin in anger.

The barkeep placed a full mug of mead down in front of the high ranking Imperial military officer that sat at his bar. He noted that the officer seemed to be in a very grim mood, and decided it would be best not to disturb him with the idle chat he often liked to have with the men and women who would sit at his bar. Suetonius nodded a thanks to the barkeep in addition too placing a couple Septims on the bar as a tip for the quick service. He then picked up his mug and began to drink heavily from it, not noticing the women who had quietly taken the seat on Suetonius' left, and now watched him drain his mug.

"Rough day, or do you always drink like this?" The women asked Suetonius in a soft yet inquisitive voice.

Not turning to look at the women, Suetonius let out a startled laugh before proceeding to answer the question. "Saying that it was a rough day would be an understatement, but now that I have a mug and a half worth of mead in me I am inclined to think that things could improve for me."

Suetonius listened to the soft laugh the women answered him with, and thought to himself that perhaps he could use a little female companionship this night. It had been a rough day for him, and the warmth of a women would surly ease the stresses he currently felt. Suetonius had been a womanizer ever since he had been a young man, loosing his innocence at fourteen to a woman almost twice his age, and so he turned in his seat to properly meet this woman that sat next to him with the express purpose of trying to get her to accompany him to bed. Once he had turned Suetonius took in the women that sat next to him, she had long dark brown hair that seemed to almost shine, dark blue eyes, soft milky white colored skin, and a highly feminine form. Suetonius felt his heart rate quicken, and was about to tell the women how beautiful she was when it stuck him like a blow from a centurion's baton. This was no Blue Palace servant woman that sat next to him, like he had assumed it was, it was Jarl Elisif. Suetonius was dumb struck, and embarrassed that he had desired to try and charm the jarl of Solitude and future queen of Skyrim into going to bed with him just moments before.

Trying to hide her amusement at the surprised expression on the legate's face Jarl Elisif spoke, "By the expression on your face I take it you know who I am, but unfortunately I must admit that I don't know your name legate.”

Regaining some composure Suetonius replied to the smiling jarl, "I am Legate Flavius Suetonius, commander of the 3rd Skyrim legion which is currently stationed in The Reach." He then added playfully, "and why is it that Jarl of Solitude wishes to know the name of a humble Imperial soldier like myself?"

"Well, I just simply wished to know the name of the 'humble Imperial soldier' that chose to come to my mead hall in the palace and drink instead of drinking with his fellow officers in the castle." Elisif's answer was a complete lie, but the smile she wore on her face was genuine.

In truth Elisif had noticed Suetonius when he had first arrived several days ago, to attend some meeting General Tullius had called. Finding him very handsome she had wished to speak with him when she had first laid eyes upon a him. A combination of guilt for wanting to speak with a man that wasn't her late husband, and her own shyness however had kept her from going up and speaking with the officer prior to now. When Elisif had noticed him sitting in her mead hall and drinking though, she knew that if she didn't seize the opportunity to speak with him she would regret it, and so she sat down next to him with the intention of striking up a conversation.

"Bah," Suetonius began, "my fellow officers annoy me and are the cause of my wanting some good drink in the first place. I chose to come here for drink because I knew I was unlikely to run into any of those same officers." Suetonius' mood darkened having once again been forced to think of the meeting earlier, but the smile on Elisif's face managed cheer him some. Perhaps it was due too the mead Suetonius had ingested causing his sense of better judgment to be dulled he added, "Besides if I remained in the castle I wouldn't of had the pleasure of having beautiful company while I drank."

Elisif's cheeks flushed upon hearing Suetonius' last comment and her heart began to beat more rapidly in her chest. She broke eye contact with the legate embarrassed and not wanting him too see that he caused her to blush. Elisif wondered if he really thought she looked beautiful or if he was just saying that. Either way she felt emboldened by the compliment and wished to continue the conversation she was having with the legate. That is after she worked the nerve back up to remake eye contact with him. It took her a couple of moments too regain her composure, but when she did Elisif locked eyes with Suetonius once again.

Upon remaking eye contact with Suetonius Elisif spoke with a sheepish smile on her face. "You are too kind Legate Suetonius." She paused briefly wondering why the room seemed overly warm to her and then continued. "Flavius Suetonius, the name suggests that you are an Imperial, but your eyes, your eyes say that you have some Nord blood in you."

"My father is an Imperial, and my mother is a Nord, so I am a bit of both." Suetonius said laughing. Taking a liking to Elisif, Suetonius went on to say, "perhaps I could buy you a drink and we could move to a table so we can carry on our conversation in a bit more comfort?"

Elisif felt her cheeks turning hot again and she wanted to look away, but she forced herself not too, and replied with a wide smile on her face, "yes, I would like that."

Suetonius proceeded to order Elisif a cup of the most expensive wine available and then lead her over to an empty table near one of the mead halls roaring fireplaces. The two of them sat down and went on to talk more, Elisif enquiring about Suetonius and Suetonius answering her questions while continuing to consume more mead. The evening wore on and the two enjoyed each others company and getting top know one another. For the first time since her husbands death Elisif seemed to not feel alone in the world, though she couldn't tell if Suetonius had any feelings towards her or if he was just being friendly. She hoped that he did have feelings for her, though there was still a part of her that felt guilty about having feelings for a man that wasn't her late husband. Suetonius, despite his growing level of intoxication, managed to keep it in his mind that Elisif was the jarl of Solitude and as such he could not try and seduce her. He had to keep things fairly professional and as such he overlooked the growing outward signs that Elisif was attracted to him. After several hours spent in each others company Suetonius rose to his feet and told the Elisif that he was tired, drunk, and needed to get some sleep as he was leaving Solitude early the next morning to head towards Whiterun. Before Suetonius left however, he stepped over next to Elisif, bent over, and planted a light kiss on her cheek and thanked her for keeping him company.

Elisif watched as Suetonius made his way out of the mead hall, struggling to walk in a strait line due to his drunkenness. Her body felt as though it was on fire, and her mind rushed with thoughts trying to interpret the meaning behind the kiss he hand just planted on her cheek. Absent mindedly her hand rose up to her flushed cheek and gently caressed the area where his lips had landed. Elisif had to fight back the urge to jump up from her seat and run over to Suetonius and passionately kiss him back. She told herself that doing that would be highly inappropriate, and that she really didn't know how he felt about her, perhaps he was just being friendly and had no interest in her romanticly. Elisif cursed herself for over thinking things and being unable to take the risk and show him how she felt about him. After several minutes silently sitting at the table in the mead hall alone and going over the evenings events multiple times Elisif rose and withdrew to her bedchambers wishing to be alone and too get some sleep. The last thing she thought of before falling asleep that night was if she was being unfaithful to her late husband by desiring Suetonius.

Suetonius awoke early the next morning with a pounding headache. It took several moments before the memories of the previous day flooded back to him, from the war council, too spending the evening with Jarl Elisif, and too kissing her on the cheek as he left to go to bed. By the Emperor's balls! Suetonius thought to himself, why did I kiss the jarl of Solitude? If Tullius ever finds out I did that, I'm going to be screwed. Angry with himself for loosing his composure and kissing Elisif, Suetonius went about dressing himself and packing his things. He was leaving Solitude and heading to Whiterun to inform Jarl Balgruuf that his legion would be taking up residence in the Whiterun hold. Before Suetonius left his room, he sat down and drafted a letter to be sent to Senior Tribune Valorous informing him that he was to march the legion to Fort Greymoor in the Whiterun hold as per General Tullius' orders. Once finished writing the letter Suetonius grabbed his things, and headed towards the courtyard in front of Castle Dour where he would meet up with his personal escort and begin the trip to Whiterun. As he left Solitude Suetonius couldn't help but think of Jarl Elisif, hoping that Tullius wouldn't find out about the kiss he gave her, and to his own surprise he wondered when he would see her again.

Authors note: When I was writing this update I had a very clear image of what I wanted to accomplish in my head, but I had quite a bit of difficulty getting it down on paper. At some point in the future if I have a sudden inspiration as too how to write this update better I may redo it. That said, I am still fairly happy with how this update turned out, and I hope you all enjoy it.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Skyrim FF] An Age of Aggression- updated 6/10/13

Haha, that was a fairly pleasing update! You do not need to fear re-writing it, sir, for I feel that you have tempered the scene well, and it is in fact quite balanced. I actually laughed out loud when I realized it was the Jarl Suetonius was talking to. Drunk men can do such amazing things, eh? Now let's see how this relationship blossoms... or not. Great chapter!

Default Re: [Skyrim FF] An Age of Aggression- updated 6/10/13

Nice update.

I have a suspicion Suetonius's loyalties may end up swinging towards the Nords.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast