Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical Fiction Book Club

Idea-
    what would you guys think about having a historical fiction book club?

We could read, say, one book a month and then discuss it here?

Any takers?
    i have lots of ideas for books we could read and am open to suggestions
    we could even vote on the choices!
    remember, you can get these at the library so you won't have to buy them.

if you are interested please reply

A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions."
    - Marcus Aurelius

<span style='color:red'>El Siblesz es mi patrón</span>

Check out TWC's new Historic Arts and Literature Subforum

sounds interesting, but id have to find the book, which is a problem, cause i am a lazy slug.

KingLeonidas33

Count me in, i&#39;m desparate for some good ancient fiction books so yeah i&#39;ll join

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Im interested

OK, guys, were getting there.
    i PM&#39;d others who had expressed interest in historical fiction in the past.
    The way I envision this working is that we can nominate a set of books; then vote to pick the book of the month.
    maybe we will start the discussion of the 15th of each month; starting with october 15th (although i&#39;ll be out of town that weekend...)
    I think this will be a cool thread for a WIDE range of people; young and old, multinational, different politics, etc.
    Some of us will probably have already read the book for the month; that&#39;s OK- that person can join the discussion as well.

I also want to keep this open for recommendations and news regarding works of historical fiction.
    I think that we should be inclusive of alternate history works as well.
    We should agree to withold &#39;spoilers&#39; until the discussion time begins

For the first book, I nominate "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves.
    I thought this would be good since it&#39;s kind of the forefather of Roman Historical fiction, is considered a modern classic, and is readily available.

This club is open to EVERYONE

what do you guys think?

A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions.&quot;
    - Marcus Aurelius

Civitate

Thanks for the PM, I&#39;m interested
    Under the patronage of the Great GodEmperor Nicholas. Fallen Triumvir - Departed since 28-05-2005.

'Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.' - Herman Goering

In Vino Veritas - 'In wine there is truth'
    Patron of: Aves, Arcaliea

Xeres2665's Avatar Ordinarius

Hey, im interested, thanks for the invite

Thanks for invitation, you can count me in. "I, Claudius" is a great choice - was very popular back in 40-ties.

Flavius Nevitta's Avatar Civitate

Thanks for the PM, sounds interesting, if I have enough time to read the books I&#39;ll participate.
    RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

MINERVAE ET SOLIS INVICTI DISCIPVLVS

formerly known as L.C.Cinna

Originally posted by Corporal_Hicks@Sep 13 2004, 04:34 PM
    sounds interesting, but id have to find the book, which is a problem, cause i am a lazy slug.
    After we decide on the book each month i&#39;ll post links where to obtain the book over the internet in the US and GB (sorry to other countries&#33
    Of course, the library is free...

SO, we have 7 members so far; I would like to see some more, PM your friends :smile

Are there any other nominations for the first book?

Do we want to start with the classic?

Here&#39;s a review:
    Amazon.com
    Having never seen the famous 1970s television series based on Graves&#39; historical novel of ancient Rome and being generally uneducated about matters both ancient and Roman, I wasn&#39;t prepared for such an engaging book. But it&#39;s a ripping good read, this fictional autobiography set in the Roman Empire&#39;s days of glory and decadence. As a history lesson, it&#39;s fabulous; as a novel it&#39;s also wonderful. Best is Claudius himself, the stutterer who let everyone think he was an idiot (to avoid getting poisoned) but who reveals himself in the narrative to be a wry and likable observer. His story continues in Claudius the God.

- Marcus Aurelius

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

I&#39;m interested definitely. Historical fiction is great. I&#39;ve never read I Claudius but I watch the series in HIST 1019 at Uni and it SUCKED&#33; The acting is corny, the sets are awful and it seems so stilted and forced. However that said, the novel may be different.

Other novels to read are: Any of Mary Mccullough&#39;s Master of Rome series, Conn Igulden&#39;s Emperor series, any of V.Massimo Manfreidi&#39;s works (Alexander Trilogy, Spartan, Last Legion, Tailsman of Troy), what else...Bernard Cornwell, Simon Scarrow&#39;s works (Under the Eagle, The Eagle&#39;s Conquest, When the Eagle Hunts).

Thats enough to start I think....sorry Anoikis, didn&#39;t mean to rant. This is definitely still you&#39;re idea.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg@Sep 14 2004, 09:32 AM

Thats enough to start I think....sorry Anoikis, didn&#39;t mean to rant. This is definitely still you&#39;re idea.
    no, i appreciate your input&#33;

welcome aboard.

- Marcus Aurelius

Duronal

hello guys i&#39;m interested but imay be limited to how much i can read and post...... i&#39;m in my final year and have got stacks of work to do...

As a series i&#39;d nominate the bernard cornwell Warlord chromicles, they cover a historically based story of King arthur narrated from a member of one of his warbands. they are truely amazing books i promise once you pick them up you just won&#39;t put them down. Unfortunately i&#39;ve got to go again so i&#39;ll pop back in a couple of days. Cheers

A,

thanks fot the PM, I allways like to read a good historical fiction book. I&#39;m currently busy reading the "Roma sub rosa"-series of Steven Saylor, and I find those books very entertaining and they are certainly worth nominating.
    But allas, university is on me again and I wont have much time to spend reading. (check that, I will probably spend all my time reading, but just not the things I&#39;d like to read)

I, Claudius sounds great, allways wanted to read that. it was on my "to read"-list :

In Patronicum sub Smoke
    Patronum Celcum quo Burebista et MareNostrum

i would join but have far to much work to so sadly. I may call in however when a book i have read before is mentioned.
    Under the patronage of Boripavlovgrozny.
    Member of BWT.

If we find enough that are interested, I will create a forum sub-section for it.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

please submit to this thread any formal nominations for this month&#39;s book

if there are no others in the next 24 hrs, then I, Claudius will be the book of the month.

we need more members&#33;
    put the word out&#33;

Thanks to Siblesz for his support. ::rockon::

- Marcus Aurelius

Civitate

I Claudius is a great start, I must admit I haven&#39;t read it yet so now is a better time than ever.

For a nice change in direction, the second nomination could be the starter (or whole trilogy, its easily readable in a month) of the Warlord Chronicles (Dark Age Arthurian Trilogy), which are simply fantastic.
    Under the patronage of the Great GodEmperor Nicholas. Fallen Triumvir - Departed since 28-05-2005.

'Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.' - Herman Goering

In Vino Veritas - 'In wine there is truth'
    Patron of: Aves, Arcaliea

Originally posted by SbSdude@Sep 15 2004, 01:40 AM

For a nice change in direction, the second nomination could be the starter (or whole trilogy, its easily readable in a month) of the Warlord Chronicles (Dark Age Arthurian Trilogy), which are simply fantastic.
    Yesss,i agree.Just finishing third book and they are awesome.Spearmen rocks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Also from same author books "Harlequin","Vagabond" and "Heretic". Books about Longbowmen,yes.

Ok... so far we have:

stalhandske
    SbSdude
    Anoikis
    Dreamer
    Quintus Maximus
    Duronal
    Dr Zoidberg
    Corporal_Hicks
    KingLeonidas33
    Count of Montesano
    Xeres2665
    L.C.Cinna
    kv_ak

interested.

That&#39;s 13 people... more than enough to create a sub-section for this... I will create the sub-section tomorrow.

I will probably join during your second book.

Also... if you are here, please confirm that you are willing to participate for good.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast