Page 31 of 291 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334353637383940415681131 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

The best scene from anything star wars is when the Emperor hits the windshield during that attack run in the family guy version.^^

Perhaps that ball isn't part of the droid, but the droid itself is only the "head" and he is balancing on a round object, moving it around.

Now this I liked even less, because this would be a hint that there would be slapstick comedy in this, like there was in the prequel trilogy.
    A ball makes a lot of sense for mobility, because you can immediately change course in any direction, rather than R2D2 who had to rely on his 3 fixed legs.

I just thought that the design for it was stupid: an astromech head on that ball looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Just watched the trailer again and something came to my mind about the part I liked least. (the droid)

Perhaps that ball isn't part of the droid, but the droid itself is only the "head" and he is balancing on a round object, moving it around.

Now this I liked even less, because this would be a hint that there would be slapstick comedy in this, like there was in the prequel trilogy.
    Applied electromagnetics could do it. It'd be a , but it could do it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Applied electromagnetics could do it. It'd be a , but it could do it.
    It still just doesn't feel right.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

1. Chris Pine has a new ride. The authorities continue to chase him.

2. Energy cross guard not much use if you allow the sabre to slide along the length of the main beam.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

After four movie decades of watching lukes hand get cut off, the first thing I'm doing is adding a crossguard that can block another lightsaber. Thanks. It ain't about looks. That thing can look as horrible as it frakking wants. It's about if it can block a lightsaber from cutting off my hand. And that thing damn well can. Moving on.
    Only it cant ... to have a bladed cross guard is a retarded notion, there is a reason real crossguards were never bladed now imagine a laser bladed crossguard is just retarded .... as i said earlier it would be more sensible with a energy shield as a cross guard that envelops arround the hilt, on top of that lasers are not metals, a small touch to you and you screwed.
    Regardless that is why only force sensitives can wield such civilized weapons, due to supernatural reflexes and such.

Note im not against a crossguard, just make one that makes sence. In a star wars world anyway....
    Anyway im passing the feeling of all out rage on this, while im not realy that outraged , im perfectly fine with the concept and as it is. it is just for the sake of debate XD

Anyway there is another theory arround that those are not realy cross guards, but can function as one if needed, but they are realy exaaust ports for the unstable crystal as we see, with that flame looks on the blade.

Also that bulky and hunky backside? , i would guess that might be realy Gwendoline christie

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Magister Militum @
    Btw yesterday my Kick ass Operative made short work of the dread masters, in a best 16 man Pug i seen on Dread palace... A rare thing imo in any dificulty realy.
    Anyway was extremely fun.

Also i doubt revan is on the movie resemblance of the cast aside it doesnt stop Disney from capitalizing on him though... still a bonus, and nerdgasm at ease...
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; November 29, 2014 at 06:19 AM.

zackstefy's Avatar Libertus

I don't think that's Revan, because KOTOR is not cannon anymore
    Last edited by zackstefy; November 29, 2014 at 07:20 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

as i said earlier it would be more sensible with a energy shield as a cross guard that envelops arround the hilt
    It says on the wiki that the reason only things like battle droids have shields is because the radiation would kill a person.

Regardless that is why only force sensitives can wield such civilized weapons, due to supernatural reflexes and such.
    Not exactly, there a re plenty of non-force sensitives in the EU that wielded lightsabers, they just don't have the supernatural prowess of a Jedi in doing it.

but they are realy exaaust ports for the unstable crystal as we see, with that flame looks on the blade.
    I was thinking this as well.

Also i doubt revan is on the movie resemblance of the cast aside it doesnt stop Disney from capitalizing on him though... still a bonus, and nerdgasm at ease...
    I agree, I sincerely doubt it is Revan, but it would make him and KOTOR/TOR part of the EU again if it was....

I don't think that's Revan, because KOTOR is not cannon anymore
    It never was canon.... it was part of the Expanded universe. And the EU wasnt canon. Or a canon that mattered anyway.
    Also im not sure what is the standing of Disney on the Old republic stuff. It can easy be considered canon or be untouched by it. Since is very distant to the timeline of the upcoming filmverse.
    Still every content that comes out now is considered canon acording to Disney. And Shadow of Revan will come out This December.

It says on the wiki that the reason only things like battle droids have shields is because the radiation would kill a person.
    It depends on the energy shields i recon, there is Energy shields of different types i belive, in the daily live of Star wars universe you see it alot, in various settings ( prisons, inside ships etc), i doubt all of them are radioactive.

The fact remains a bladed crossguard isnt a realy good ideia. Then again a doublebladed lightsaber is even less of a good ideia so. It realy doesnt matter in the end.

Not exactly, there are plenty of non-force sensitives in the EU that wielded lightsabers, they just don't have the supernatural prowess of a Jedi in doing it.
    With limited use yes. There is a difference between holding a lightsaber and waving it arround and actualy wield it proficiently without harming yourself.
    Grievous wield it and was not a force sensitive but then again he was more machine then organic, it barely counts, a machine or a cyborg can wield a lightsaber after all without harming itself, its a matter of implants programing etc
    Even though Dooku made blood transfusions from sifo dyas to Grievous in order for him to be able to be capable and to survive the transformation process.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; November 29, 2014 at 08:07 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

There were quite a few Mandalorians that had lightsabers IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    There were quite a few Mandalorians that had lightsabers IIRC.
    Had them or use them? There is a difference.
    At anycase one doesnt realy need to be force sensitive to have good reflexes i guess, you have a point there, it simply isnt the same imo.

And yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    2. Energy cross guard not much use if you allow the sabre to slide along the length of the main beam.
    Saber's always been capable of catching another saber. It's not going to slide, never has. Watch the fights, if you will. This is for that time that it misses. Or a totally different style of fighting(broadsword).
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Only it cant ... to have a bladed cross guard is a retarded notion, there is a reason real crossguards were never bladed now imagine a laser bladed crossguard is just retarded .... as i said earlier it would be more sensible with a energy shield as a cross guard that envelops arround the hilt, on top of that lasers are not metals, a small touch to you and you screwed.
    Already addressed this. RTFT.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I never saw the Darth Maul episodes, but that was a pretty good fight sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Using a lightsaber that can cut you in half was insane, and yet Darth Maul hilariously kicked Obi-wan and Qui-Gon's ass. It's a matter of knowing how to use your weapon when it's a lightsaber. He as much as demonstrated that in episode 1. So don't talk to me about a piddly little cross-guard that can possibly cut fingers off when that thing that could cut the user in half was in the movie and people were loving it and others were moaning for years that there's no crossguard of some sort on a lightsaber. Goodbye Luke's Hand! Maybe not on this forum, but there's been voices. And they've apparently been heard.
    The point (sorry, pun) is to keep the dangerous point away from you. Said crossguard adds two more dangerous points to kill yourself with, the doublesided lightsabre one. Both are impractical ideas.

Last time I checked Luke and Annakin got their limbs cut off when their enemy opened their guard so I don't really see what a crossguard would have been supposed to do there though.

The interesting thing about lightsabres in reality would be that the blades have no mass at all so you should be as quick as you are with your wrist to be deadly. Though the fight choreography is obviously built on the assumption of a one and a half sword.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Re-opened. Keep it civil gentlemen.
    Last edited by Aikanár; November 29, 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

What do you think will be JJ Abrams mystery box? Who the antagonist is gonna be? Or actually who will be the heroes? That's always his thing.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

As long as it isn't Cumberbatch I'm open to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

An interesting perspective regarding the lightsaber:

As for me, I don't care. Star Wars is mindless fun and it doesn't have to make very much sense.

Oh wow, doesn't about half that video sound familiar.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

His last point is the only one I also find mildly annoying. I also don't like the aesthetics of it, the guard is too wide. If they shortened them and pulled in the base to be flush with the hilt I would be completely on board. When I look at it now I get the feeling that not much thought went into it which makes me feel like it was more gimmick than well thought out design.