Page 71 of 291 FirstFirst ... 214661626364656667686970717273747576777879808196121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 5816

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

The Emperor calls Luke's lightsaber a Jedi weapon, as far as Sith go the Emperor never uses a lightsaber in Return of the Jedi. Whether he uses one in Revenge of the Sith I'll just ignore it.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The Emperor calls Luke's lightsaber a Jedi weapon, as far as Sith go the Emperor never uses a lightsaber in Return of the Jedi. Whether he uses one in Revenge of the Sith I'll just ignore it.
    Yea cuz canon doesn't matter. I'll just ignore your post.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Patrician

canon but please don't let me impede you.
    Either way whether Sidious used a lightsaber is of no interest to me. But I ignore the canon I don't care for.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

canon but please don't let me impede you.
    Dark Jedi use lightsabers in both trilogies. Get over it. Canon doesn't necessarily mean a quality made film. Just that it's official. As I said, I'm ignoring that you're ignoring it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Patrician

I'm fine with both of those facts. Whether Sith use lightsabers or not I really don't have an issue with that.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

You can chose to ignore it if you want, but don't make it a part of your argument in a public forum.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Patrician

It isn't part of my argument, I don't even have an argument.
    All I said was that in Return of the Jedi Darth Sidious called Luke's lightsaber "a Jedi weapon like your father's" and that's it. There is no argument.

The Emperor started with practically nothing in military terms, and had to build from scratch, so a lot of old equipment should have been co-opted by the Imperial military, and twenty years is not enough to re-equip an expanding galaxy wide military.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You don't need a gun toting scoundrel to have Solo. People age. So do characters. See, the thing is, Indiana Jones didn't really account for this, and tried to give us the same thing.
    So we agree, great! Wait, why is there more text!?

Where the hell is your leg to stand on?

Gun totting Han in the trailer being excited like a little schoolboy about pointing his gun at something? That's not a sign of them accounting that people aka characters age as you say yourself.

That is not the kind of person Harrison Ford is. He crashed a plane recently and walked away from it. Is he too old to do action? Yes. But he is still and should still try. I think he plays mostly himself in these roles and I want to see an energetic performance out of him. He wasn't that bad in Crystal Skull, the movie itself was bad, but if you want to see a bad Harrison Ford movie like I said check out his performance in Network. That is subdued.

It might be cliche, but at least for me it is exactly what I would expect from Han Solo not a comfortable elder living the quiet life.
    You are not precisely making a case that convinces me by saying he just wants to play himself...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I have to agree with the argument that the Emperor should not use a Lightsaber.

In the old trilogy it has always seemed as if Yoda and the Emperor were so powerful that they did not need a lightsaber and physically they didn't look fit to use one. They were both very old and while Yoda was the wise master type, who would not resort to violence, but instead meditate, Palpatine on the other hand always looked like an evil witchmaster or something like that, who had his henchmen do the dirty work for him, but when it came down to fighting for himself, he also didn't rely on physical power, but on his force abilities.

In the prequels, both these old characters suddenly were suddenly able to pull of the craziest acrobatic maneuvers in sword fights and in my opinion, this totally broke their characters.
    Last edited by Prof; April 19, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I have to agree with the argument that the Emperor should not use a Lightsaber.

In the old trilogy it has always seemed as if Yoda and the Emperor were so powerful that they did not need a lightsaber and physically they didn't look fit to use one. They were both very old and while Yoda was the wise master type, who would not resort to violence, but instead meditate, Palpatine on the other hand always looked like an evil withmaster or something like that, who had his henchmen do the dirty work for him, but when it came down to fighting for himself, he also didn't rely on physical power, but on his force abilities.

In the prequels, both these old characters suddenly were suddenly able to pull of the craziest acrobatic maneuvers in sword fights and in my opinion, this totally broke their characters.
    100% This^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    You are not precisely making a case that convinces me by saying he just wants to play himself...
    No I'm saying he is not exactly capable of playing the role you suggest well.

I enjoy Harrison Ford in many movies, but he doesn't have a huge range. Plus it doesn't fit with the role of Han Solo he created, the guy just isn't the type to settle down. Not every 70+ year old is like that, not Harrison ford and not any of his iconic characters.

Every movie where he has tried to play that role was terrible.

He SUCKED in Ender's Game for example which I guess is what you are trying to suggest he should play Han Solo more like.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    I enjoy Harrison Ford in many movies, but he doesn't have a huge range. Plus it doesn't fit with the role of Han Solo he created, the guy just isn't the type to settle down. Not every 70+ year old is like that, not Harrison ford and not any of his iconic characters.
    Perhaps he lost the Millenium Falcon somehow and got it back after a long time. He loves that ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Perhaps he lost the Millenium Falcon somehow and got it back after a long time. He loves that ship.
    Sure whatever, just as long as he is not a wise elder dispensing sage wisdom.

That would RUIN the character of Han Solo far more than anyone including R2D2 using a lightsaber.

Also while I agree with you that it does not fit for the emperor/Yoda to rely on a lightsaber. They don't really, maybe it would have been better for them not to use it at all but while they appear weak that was partly an act and also it was much later (and after the emperor's injuries) if they have all this power in the force I wouldn't say they have a lot of true physical limitations. They only really use a lightsaber when facing a less skilled opponent who they want to delay or is part of some plan. The emperor wanted Anakin to intervene I believe so he couldn't just zap Mace Windu. When the two of them fought at least it was with force powers.

Ford plays himself, but he plays himself very well.

You have to adapt the script to him, not force him to play out of character.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    Also while I agree with you that it does not fit for the emperor/Yoda to rely on a lightsaber. They don't really, maybe it would have been better for them not to use it at all but while they appear weak that was partly an act and also it was much later (and after the emperor's injuries) if they have all this power in the force I wouldn't say they have a lot of true physical limitations. They only really use a lightsaber when facing a less skilled opponent who they want to delay or is part of some plan. The emperor wanted Anakin to intervene I believe so he couldn't just zap Mace Windu. When the two of them fought at least it was with force powers.
    The part with Anakin doesn't sound too far fetched, but I think, it would have fit better, if the fight between Count Dooku and Yoda and the Emperor and Yoda had not been so acrobatic. Especially the duel between Yoda and the Emperor could have been a huge showdown of force powers. But instead they made Yoda a little green bouncy ball and the freshly electrocuted Emperor is able to keep up with all his movements.

So we agree, great! Wait, why is there more text!?

Gun totting Han in the trailer being excited like a little schoolboy about pointing his gun at something? That's not a sign of them accounting that people aka characters age as you say yourself.
    You don't get to cut of analysis text from a post as if it gives you a point. That just makes you look stupidly stubborn.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You don't get to cut of analysis text from a post as if it gives you a point. That just makes you look stupidly stubborn.
    You gotta be kidding me. 1) Seriously? 2) You call that rambling paragraph "analysis text"? 3) It contributed nothing to the argument 4) It wasn't even in opposition to my argument 5) Seriously?

What we see is Granpa Han Solo pointing a gun at someone like in the olden days. Just that Harrison Ford looks like he is 73 years old because he is 73 years old. At this point it's just cheap fan fluff, but it's also obvious that Harrison Ford really shouldn't play old Han Solo like young Han Solo because it isn't really convincing for the character to behave like he did 30 years ago. That's entirely what you said. It's entirely not what we see. For who flies the Milennium Falcon? Who knows and who cares?

I actually see Leia and Luke more integral to any story titles "The Force awakens" anyway so let's hope it's just a one off joke and as said trailer bait.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

You call that rambling paragraph "analysis text"?
    Doesn't take a lot of effort to hold and fire a gun. 80 year old women can and have done it with a shotgun before. Counter the argument.

Not as crazy flying in atmosphere as it is in space because the maneuvers are limited. If you don't believe me, look up the physics and counter the argument instead of just leaving it off.

Something Solo can get stuck doing, especially when working with a middle aged wookie.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post

So they did get a bigger budget.
    ​Holy crap, Hondo is back