Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Come on Mate, that's not an accurate one
    Templars were very 'codified'. I think that if axes aren't mentioned, it means they weren't used. But I might be wrong of course. Maces seem to have been used during the 13th century.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

As for the masses, I think I have read that they were used from the thirteenth century to break members protected by too good chain mail that a sword could not decide. Nice !

Default recommended difficulty

anyone know what to have it as?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: recommended difficulty

Bartix would play vh/vh/

Default Characters ageing help please

Hi anyone know how to change so that characters age every 4 turns instead of 2 please

Default hide faction leader announcments

anyone know how to hide these popups they get quite annoying

Blog Entries

Default Re: hide faction leader announcments

For anything modding related, please check/use the Workshop.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Any plans for expanding AOR units? Such as Scots Longbows replacing regular Longbowmen in Scotland when playing as England, or Welsh Longbowmen being recruitable in Wales? I also thought it was cool that you can recruit Flemish Pikemen from Mercenary Barracks, but was a bit disappointed that you can't do the same for Swiss Pikemen (or other local mercenaries, such as Breton light cavalry).

Blog Entries

I'd like to implement an AoR system. However, that's gonna take a while

While I'm updating and cleaning some stuff, can you guys tell me how Georgia is going in the current version? I mean, should I keep Ani to them or put it independant again for the gameplay? I'm trying to not make Georgia as a super power in that map area

Thanks in advance

The problem, first and foremost, is that it's entirely unhistorical. In this period Ani was in the realm of the Shaddadids, with occasional Georgian incursions.
    Even in the year the SSHIP starts (1132), it was not Georgian. I've read it in the books, I've read it in the museum in Erevan. I've even bought a book devoted to this area in the Middle Ages. You may read the relevant pages below:

Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Blog Entries

Thanks JoC.
    That confirms my feeling as well. So I'll probably put Ani as independant again for the next release

I even know where the problem of this notion originates. It's the map of the conquests of Davit IV of Georgia. The interested people (mainly Georgians) draw the map with dates of conquests but they don't point when the Georgian rule ceased. So if Davit conquered a place, they think it stayed forever after Georgian, while they may have been kicked out just a minute after he had left the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I even know where the problem of this notion originates. It's the map of the conquests of Davit IV of Georgia. The interested people (mainly Georgians) draw the map with dates of conquests but they don't point when the Georgian rule ceased. So if Davit conquered a place, they think it stayed forever after Georgian, while they may have been kicked out just a minute after he had left the city.
    Yeah I have seen this historical inconsistency with maps about the Georgian Golden Age (aprox. 1121 - 1243) specifically those corcerning Davit IV "the Builder" and his succesors conquests of the area after the Battle of Didgori (1121) where they show all his conquered lands as permanently incorporated to the "new" Georgian Kingdom when in reality after his death in 1125, Demetrius I "the Poet", his succesor had to recapture and reconquer cities like Ani and adjacent areas where other ethnic groups lived (Turks, Armenians, Azerbajanis etc etc). So it was more a series of long military campaigns dating from 1121 to aproximately 1170's (George III fought various wars with Shams al-Din Eldigüz of Adarbagan and with ibn-Mahmud of the Shaddadids as you pointed out. The later had regained control of Ani in 1164. He died in 1174 after his lost of Ani and exile).

Pretty much confirming that the Golden Age was a series of campaigns of conquest followed by a really long process of consolidation that in the end drained the Kingdom of Georgia, making the state weak to foreign Great Powers (Mongols, the later Hordes and Timur ect).
    Last edited by Pyres Δt Varanasi; April 07, 2019 at 03:10 PM.

I have noticed something concerning the reputation system while I have been playing a muslim faction. I have no issues to deal with a crusade in general. But is it really necessary and intended by the Modders that my reputation drops from a reasonable stage f.e. mixed to the worst one, after all christian factions have joined the crusade against me ? I do not think that beeing the one a war is declared on makes you agressive and justifies a drop. It just destroys the immersion at least for me because my allies are then likely to turn against me and diplomacy is almost not possible anymore. And just because of a random event I cannot influence.
    Do you intend to change this ? And if not, is it possible to change the game in the way that you do not suffer reputation loss or at least less when war is declared on you ?

Blog Entries

I don't know if it was intended by MWY or if it is just due to the crusade system in game
    But yes, I agree that this is not logical. Each religion should be independant.

Quote Originally Posted by Albertus Magnus View Post
    is it possible to change the game in the way that you do not suffer reputation loss or at least less when war is declared on you ?
    yes, unforunately i cant remember which file to edit, hopefully someone with more modding knowledge can point you in the right direction

try asking in modding workshop here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Scripting

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Is it possible to increase the retirement points of an army? A fleeing army is too often forced to fight when it has no chance of winning ...

Blog Entries

I don't know tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    yes, unforunately i cant remember which file to edit, hopefully someone with more modding knowledge can point you in the right direction

try asking in modding workshop here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Scripting
    Thanks for the information. I am going to try to find a solution there.

Quote Originally Posted by Albertus Magnus View Post
    I have noticed something concerning the reputation system while I have been playing a muslim faction. I have no issues to deal with a crusade in general. But is it really necessary and intended by the Modders that my reputation drops from a reasonable stage f.e. mixed to the worst one, after all christian factions have joined the crusade against me ? I do not think that beeing the one a war is declared on makes you agressive and justifies a drop. It just destroys the immersion at least for me because my allies are then likely to turn against me and diplomacy is almost not possible anymore. And just because of a random event I cannot influence.
    Do you intend to change this ? And if not, is it possible to change the game in the way that you do not suffer reputation loss or at least less when war is declared on you ?
    The Quieter AI minimod makes reputation much more manageable. If all you want to do is make the reputation system work, just replace the descr_faction_standing file.