View Poll Results: Who do you think will win this years World Cup?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brazil

16 9.82%
  • Croatia

3 1.84%
  • Mexico

1 0.61%
  • Cameroon

0 0%
  • Spain

4 2.45%
  • Netherlands

21 12.88%
  • Chile

2 1.23%
  • Australia

0 0%
  • Colombia

2 1.23%
  • Ivory Coast

0 0%
  • Greece

6 3.68%
  • Japan

1 0.61%
  • Uruguay

3 1.84%
  • Costa Rica

2 1.23%
  • England

6 3.68%
  • Italy

6 3.68%
  • Switzerland

0 0%
  • Ecuador

0 0%
  • France

3 1.84%
  • Honduras

0 0%
  • Argentina

12 7.36%
  • Bosnia

1 0.61%
  • Iran

1 0.61%
  • Nigeria

0 0%
  • Germany

55 33.74%
  • Portugal

4 2.45%
  • Ghana

0 0%
  • U.S.A.

6 3.68%
  • Belgium

3 1.84%
  • Algeria

1 0.61%
  • Russia

1 0.61%
  • South Korea

3 1.84%
Page 120 of 124 FirstFirst ... 207095110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124 LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2464

Thread: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Default Re: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Yeah, even Italy will eventually have a team for 2018 that is able to reach the 2nd round.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Ha, was only two cycles ago Italy won it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

And then were out two times in a row in the group phase

It wasn't Kross.
    Wasnt Kroos that headed the ball backwards?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    This is the third time in history when germans "step" on argentina. I do suspect our German members will be quite drunk by now, I would.
    I am.

And just came home to be amused by the buthurt haters posting here

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    Dude isnt even a Muslim. But he knows what politics are going on. Unlike you and your blend of stupid.
    I don't care about his religious affiliation, he just sucks and his political opinion is retarded. And Broder is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Wasnt Kroos that headed the ball backwards?
    Pretty sure that was him.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Germany!

Great ending game to the WC, that goal was a thing of beauty and United Germany marches on!
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

The best team overall showed why determination, a long-term plan, collective playing and offensive schemes do work out in the end (most times). Congratulations Germans that was a worthy final for both teams I believe, you had your chances and we had ours, but you definitely got the best from them, good old German efficiency.

I didn't have that much faith in these Argentine players at the beginning but they ended up growing in me a little, by 8ths they'd found the scheme and the defense was performing very well. I do have this feeling that La Liga somehow screwed Di Maria and Messi's possibilities by leaving them exhausted and prone to injuries days before the WC started; but that's just a thought, it's all over now and the Germans are deserving winners. Hope our media goes easy on the boys (Messi is being mauled by segments of specialized journalism all over again, just like in the South African aftermath), the played a very good WC and brought us back to the podium after so many years of poor results and bad performances; in football, like in other sports losing is always an alternative.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

germany's crossing especially in the last and most critical part of the pitch is amazing to be honest. the best team won it IMO and in a good dazzling fashion, not through penalty shoot-outs which are nervy but anticlimactic. i liked seeing messi have a go at the german wall but i think netherlands would have been a far better finalist and there might have been more goals.

Ok, now at half past 5 am, after al the celebrating sitting here with my breakfest beer 3 things bother me alot.

What happens with football in Brazil now? I love the Brazilian team, and I have this weird feeling that we killed it.

Messo best player of the world cup?! No. He is good and nobody doubts that, but the award should go to James Rodríguez. That man was a beauty to watch in all the Colombian games! And I still regret missing the first one!

There should be some kind of award for the teams which nobody expected to be so good. I feel like the Colombians and especialy Costa Rica dont get the recognition that they would deserve.

What happens with football in Brazil now? I love the Brazilian team, and I have this weird feeling that we killed it.
    Actually it would make more sense if you germans in fact made it better. After all such a defeat clearly shows how much needs to be done in terms of organization in brazilian football (and everyone in here are discussing how poorly our youth players are handled and how mismanaged is our league and football overall, most people always pointed it out and it was the same even in our 2 recent titles, but after such a defeat people understand something has to change -everyone discuss it but the real people who should be discussing it though, the people who run the CBF and our federations and clubs-)

If we had lost 2-1, nothing would be changed. I dont think anything WILL change, but there is more chance of it occuring than if we lost normally...

For the past 3 WC the brazilian team has been just too much hype and no organization and real work at all (and outdated coaches in all 3, but we have that since after Tele Santana in 82/86...). Thats what the confed cup does maybe, we won it all 3 times..... I sure hope we dont win the Copa America, so we have no chance to get the Confed Cup, otherwise we wont win in 2018 either lol.

Anyway, how was the WC for you guys? Football quality, supporters, atmosphere, tension, etc...

Even though Brazil lost 7-1 (never passed through my mind i would see the biggest defeat in Brazilian football in its 100 years of history) it is the best i have ever seen, but that might be just because i was only old enough to follow in 2002 and on.... Much better than South Africa and Germany IMHO, and you guys?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey, Dunga was OK by my book.

Actually it would make more sense if you germans in fact made it better. After all such a defeat clearly shows how much needs to be done in terms of organization in brazilian football (and everyone in here are discussing how poorly our youth players are handled and how mismanaged is our league and football overall, most people always pointed it out and it was the same even in our 2 recent titles, but after such a defeat people understand something has to change -everyone discuss it but the real people who should be discussing it though, the people who run the CBF and our federations and clubs-)

If we had lost 2-1, nothing would be changed. I dont think anything WILL change, but there is more chance of it occuring than if we lost normally...

For the past 3 WC the brazilian team has been just too much hype and no organization and real work at all (and outdated coaches in all 3, but we have that since after Tele Santana in 82/86...). Thats what the confed cup does maybe, we won it all 3 times..... I sure hope we dont win the Copa America, so we have no chance to get the Confed Cup, otherwise we wont win in 2018 either lol.

Anyway, how was the WC for you guys? Football quality, supporters, atmosphere, tension, etc...

Even though Brazil lost 7-1 (never passed through my mind i would see the biggest defeat in Brazilian football in its 100 years of history) it is the best i have ever seen, but that might be just because i was only old enough to follow in 2002 and on.... Much better than South Africa and Germany IMHO, and you guys?
    I am in Austria and I gatherd together with several German friends to watch.

My first world cup victory to celebrate and it proves to me that you dont have to be in Berlin or some pub, but just with a tv and some friends and the moment is equaly awsome!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Compared to South America, the lack of Vuvuzela's was a relief, that alone made this WC 10 times better than the previous one, I kind of missed the loud singing of the national anthems by European nations, due to Euro's being there in small numbres, the games where good though, 4 years ago the opening games and the first round games where boring as hell and there was all kinds of drama about things like the ball etc...

This was a big big screw up in organisation though:

http://www.stopfifacorruption.com/fi...on-with-party/

Germany is playing the final of the World Cup in Brazil tonight. The team crushed Brazil in the semifinals and is the favorite in the final battle against Argentina. However, sponsors of the FIFA did not care about the preparation of the German national team.

The players of the German team stay at the Sheraton Hotel in Rio de Janeiro. But this is also where guests of sponsor Coca-Cola are staying. They had one big party at the pool of the hotel, including dinner with live band, the night before the final.
    (took me an hour of googling to find an English source for this, in Dutch it happily appeared in my facebook feed before the game last night)
    Last edited by sabaku_no_gaara; July 14, 2014 at 02:01 AM.

I don't think anything beats Germany 2006 in terms of atmosphere, but this one had some entertaining games. Argentina was amazingly good in the last two games. It kinda hit me though that second place suits them much better than first place, because it's already in the name of the country

Maybe next time we'll see a Brailian team with an Argentine or Dutch coach?

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I'll leave this thread stickied for a few days and then it will be dropped. EPL 2014/15 season sticky will replace it when I get around to creating the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I do suspect our German members will be quite drunk by now, I would.
    Still drunk, but at work nevertheless.

The more I think about it, yesterday could pass as the perfect day of the year:

Had steak for lunch.
    Got a bl**job in the afternoon.
    World Cup finals in the evening.

Guess it couldnīt have went any better.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    He managed to get them out of the group stage and had the assist against Switzerland, although he was invisible for most of the time. Against Belgium and Netherlands he was invisible and it was the defensive half of the squad that did the job really. Same in the final, it was his best match but he surely didn't impress.
    Getting out of the group stage is a necessity to get the silver.

Against Belgium and the Netherlands he was invisible because his opponents could double or triple up against him but he still provided relief for the defense as his opponents had to keep player back tracking him (and Lavezzi whom I think doesn't get enough credit).

Overall, Germany played consistently well throughout the tournament; more so than any other team. It is hard to argue they were not deserving of the World Cup!
    Argentina sort of slept walk their way through to the final, but played as well as I expected they would in the final.

It just occurred to me that Germany is the first team to win the new trophy three times. It doesn't have the same rules as the old one though, so I guess they won't be allowed to keep it (the old trophy stayed with Brazil after their third win in '70).

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I think you can keep it if you win 5 times. So a win in 2018, which should be easy given the age of the current squad, and 2022, even easier due to high chances of boycott, should do it.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!