Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [RECRUITMENT] Language Patching - Now in Progress, see latest post

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default [RECRUITMENT] Language Patching - Now in Progress, see latest post

Following on from cases of plagiarism, I've a keen desire to prevent 1.0 being replicated in various foreign forms under other people's names.

I'm therefore hoping to assemble a separate team(s) of international writers to produce translations for key languages, particularly German, French, Italian, Spanish and any other that is possible and desired.

The way this would work is that a private group would be set up and text files for descriptions and such would be distributed (not the entire game at this stage). Naturally translators need to be fluent in the relevant tongue but since we have an international fanbase I doubt that will be a problem - merely a matter of finding willing writers. As a writer I would not enforce strict translation, follow the text as closely as you desire but enjoy some artistic licence. The ultimate aim would be to create patches for key languages that makes Westeros: Total War work on foreign versions of the game (if such versions exist) and be accurately and well translated for the appropriate audience.

To sign up, join here but post your language in the thread below: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=2191
    Last edited by Inarus; July 23, 2014 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: [RECRUITMENT] Language Patching

I could try to translate some of text into polish, but I don't have a time for doing everything alone so if any other polish player would like to help me - I could translate some stuff.

I can translate it in Romanian and Turkish ( not very much from turkish ) i don't speak quite good Turkish

Well i can help with turkish and german

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

I don't think there is a huge enough fanbase for Swedish and my German/Italian is very how do you say.. awful xD
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

Vagelaras's Avatar Tiro

If you wish I will find some time to do a greek version.

Quote Originally Posted by Korpskog View Post
    I don't think there is a huge enough fanbase for Swedish and my German/Italian is very how do you say.. awful xD
    Well there's certainly a Swedish and Scandinavian audience but from my contact with Scandinavians, their English is probably the best of all the foreign nationalities I've spoken to (which I can't say is overly diverse ). So possibly a language patch would not be so demanded.

I cannot personally say which languages will most need/desire a patch for their own tongue, it's only until you post such a thread as this that you are reminded of the diversity of the community. Ultimately it comes down to who amongst you has the time and the motivation to do a lot of hard writing. The more people working on one language the better as it ensures better quality and maintains interest. I'm going to wait a bit anyway before I start setting up the group or whatever to encourage more replies. Just because someone has offered to work for your language, doesn't mean you can't help. That said, problems can arise from working in groups.

Anyway, consider the extent to which you are willing and able to write, balanced with how much people will want to play the game in your relevant language rather than being able/willing to play the native English version. It is your hard work and I honestly don't know.

Uriyaca's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I can be of help in Hebrew, but I guess it's not really an important language is it . I have very very limited knowlege of Arabic as well, but yeah I don't think I would be able to help on that regard, although translating to Arabic would probably be a good idea as there are many people in the world that speak Arabic

Anyway, I don't really agree to your list of languages in the OP. I think you should probably tranlate not to German and Italian, but rather to Russian, Chinese as well as Spanish as French, as I think they are the most spoken languages in the world after English (I think!)

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    Well there's certainly a Swedish and Scandinavian audience but from my contact with Scandinavians, their English is probably the best of all the foreign nationalities I've spoken to (which I can't say is overly diverse ). So possibly a language patch would not be so demanded.
    Don't be to sure, I think I can hear Mhaedros across the baltic sea screaming "mikä on kuollut ehkä koskaan kuole" (what is dead may never die according to google translate)
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the languages listed in the OP are about which language the game comes in anyway, so translations for those would be good. The more the better though, there's always someone that doesn't handle languages well.

Don't be to sure, I think I can hear Mhaedros across the baltic sea screaming "mikä on kuollut ehkä koskaan kuole" (what is dead may never die according to google translate)

Funny thing, I can barely make myself understood in Finnish I'm Finnish-Swedish, meaning I speak Swedish, live in a mostly Swedish speaking town and never quite learned Finnish
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I hope this doesnt delay the release of the mod.I can help with a Bulgarian translation but I dont think it will be needed and I would never start alone its too much work, I have little knowledge in Russian that could help with simple stuff like menus, names...

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

wont affect our schedule, as we are not doing any translating ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriyaca View Post
    I can be of help in Hebrew, but I guess it's not really an important language is it . I have very very limited knowlege of Arabic as well, but yeah I don't think I would be able to help on that regard, although translating to Arabic would probably be a good idea as there are many people in the world that speak Arabic

Anyway, I don't really agree to your list of languages in the OP. I think you should probably tranlate not to German and Italian, but rather to Russian, Chinese as well as Spanish as French, as I think they are the most spoken languages in the world after English (I think!)
    The Russians and Chinese aren't plagiarising Westeros Mods (Not to sound critical of Germans in general ofc) But yes, you're quite right. Over my years of modding, I've interacted with more Europeans than those from Russia and East Asia, so they did not come to mind as much. Besides, I know of the existence of an Italian mod, a German mod (well not so much now . . . it's just been banned for plagiarism) and I'm sure I read something in French . . . might just have been a French westeros wiki.
    I once labelled Finland as Scandinavian and Finlander went mad at me, although that might have been for stereotyping the languages and bundling Finland with the Swedes Either way you're probably right. But this is going to come down to who steps forward from relevant countries to help more than what languages come to my busy mind.

Plus what Hanni says.
    Last edited by Inarus; April 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

I think you should probably tranlate not to German and Italian, but rather to Russian, Chinese as well as Spanish as French, as I think they are the most spoken languages in the world after English (I think!)
    Yea, but the german and italian total war communities are one of the largest total war communities. And the germans synchronize and translate everything anyway. Whether you like it or not.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Well, if you want to expand you user base into the Klingon Empire...

Javl26's Avatar Libertus

I speak spanish very well.

I'd be happy to do some casual translation work for German if no one else is interested. Are hourly sandwich breaks and free dental included?

I would gladly help with polish translation. BTW this whole thread means that you are near finishing this mod?

I can do Dutch and French translations. If you need help with Portugese and German I can also help, but my grammar isn't really good in those languages.

I'm ok to translate it into French. And I'm sure some people from my forum (MundusBellicus.fr, French TW Community) would be glad to help. We have already translated a few M2TW mods (Third Age, Deus lo Vult, Hyrule: Total War) and M&B mods. We even have a fan subforum dedicated to Westeros: Total War.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast