Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposals for a more proper name of this mod?

Default Proposals for a more proper name of this mod?

Lets suppose the team would be at the onset of the project or that against all reason it would want to change EB name!

We all know the name was derived from the roots of the project prior to RTW release when team desire was to portray barbarians more accurately and it got sticked to it. But this is not by any means a proper and a descriptive name for the mod so I wonder what cool suggestions you would have for it.

Taking the thread into derision will not be tolerated.

serious proposals so far

Domini de saeculi vetustas That is Masters of the old world
    The Extreme Historical Conversion mod
    Ascendentes et descendentes in ueterum The rise and fall of the ancients
    Bellum Gentem"/"Bellum Gentium/Ethnos Polemos War of the gens/tribes/nations
    Vir Martialis
    Arma virumque Of arms and man
    ORBIS BARBARORUM
    Last edited by Kranos; May 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: [Curiosity] what would be a proper name for this mod?

I say keep it Its an awesome name. And very original.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Default Re: [Curiosity] what would be a proper name for this mod?

but you are not very orginal here.. Like I said this is just out of curiosity

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Proposals for a more proper name for this mod?

Since Alin's face is pretty much shared by all units of EB2, I say we call it Life of Alin.

And don't call it Shirley.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

"What Rome 2 should have been"

There's nothing wrong with the current name.

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

I don't see anything wrong with the name it has now.

there are many things "wrong" with it and its understandable given the story of EB:

this mod isnt focus on Europe
    this mod isnt focused on Barbarians
    this mod isnt a Rome-centric one to justify its latin name (this can be overlook however)

and lets stop arguing if its wrong or not and stop taking defensive positions!

SUGGESTIONS for a name to reveal as much as possbile the nature and theme of the mod or NOTHING!
    Last edited by Kranos; April 23, 2014 at 02:56 PM.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

"Quesque est barbarus alio"

Surprise surprise, that Maxim solves everything about the title

yeah and why it needs to be European? dahh!

and a proper title doesnt need to be solved by its motto but the other way around

A name does not have to be an accurate description of a product. "Apple" does not sell fruits, and IBM (International Business Machines) have also made products for private use. In this case "Europa Barbarorum" is a name that stems from the foundation of the modding team. SEGA itself is actually short for "service games" because it used to make machines for people in the armed service. They are also still called SEGA even though their games are for everyone (with possible exception to the modding community, that is).

But a much more important point is this: The name "Europa Barbarorum" has build up a lot of recognition over the years. If it was a profit seeking organisation we would call it brand equity. If you change the name and reposition the mod, this brand equity is all but lost. This is also why large companies and corporations don't simply change their name to match what they are doing now.

you should make distinction between a total abstractization like in the case of "Apple" ( awfull example to argue if you would ask me) and names that on certain measure try to represent the "product".

And eb name was not an abtractization by any mean "The Europa Barbarorum project started in January 2004 as a team with the intent of informing The Creative Assembly about the historical nature of the "barbarian" factions in Rome: TW".

again stop taking defensive positions, its not about changing the name of the mod and again the parallel with a large profit seeking organisations who would think 1 mil times before rebranding is out of place Jesus....
    Dont need to explain me why theyve kept with this name! its understandable but again THIS IS NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.
    Last edited by Kranos; April 23, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

It's your thread but where's your proposals?

This will never get rolling unless you add some inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    you should make distinction between a total abstractization like in the case of "Apple" ( awfull example to argue if you would ask me) and names that on certain measure try to represent the "product".

And eb name was not an abtractization by any mean "The Europa Barbarorum project started in January 2004 as a team with the intent of informing The Creative Assembly about the historical nature of the "barbarian" factions in Rome: TW".

again stop taking defensive positions, its not about changing the name of the mod and again the parallel with a large profit seeking organisations who would think 1 mil times before rebranding is out of place Jesus....
    Dont need to explain me why theyve kept with this name! its understandable but again THIS IS NOT THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.
    I added "apple" for the sake of humour. And I am not defensive. But you are asking for us to come with suggestions for at new name, without really establishing that it needs a new name. You simply make the assertion, and that is why we are now discussing whether it really does need a new name. What would be the cost/benefit of a new name?

To my mind the cost (the well renowned name EB has build up over several years, and the continuity with EB1) outweigh the benefits I can see (making the mod easier to understand at first glance for people completely new to the modding community).

So in order to make people jump on the "new name" band wagon you first have to argue the case that it actually does need a new name. To continue using the apple metaphor, your current approach is akin to the Apple CEO saying to his staff that they will now make water-pistols instead of software, and wanting to start a discussion of what colour the water-pistols should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Appius Pulcher View Post
    I added "apple" for the sake of humour. And I am not defensive. But you are asking for us to come with suggestions for at new name, without really establishing that it needs a new name. You simply make the assertion, and that is why we are now discussing whether it really does need a new name. What would be the cost/benefit of a new name?

get your own thread for that!

Lets suppose the team would be at the onset of the project or that against all reason it would want to change EB name.

Some serious suggestions in this hypotethic case then! (people still fooling around will have their post reported)
    Last edited by Kranos; April 24, 2014 at 06:17 AM.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Proposals for a more proper name of this mod?

Europa and sorrounding lands in the centuries before year 0.

It is english, so it wouldnt offend any baktrians like latin would. it describes the product and it what it does.
    i have more similar

Europa and sorrounding lands in the centuries before year 0.
    Ancient world total war
    history in a game
    Historically correct showing of the ancient world in the classical period.

Total Antiquity

EDIT: I first thought about using the name "Total Realism" (because EB is historically realistic), but then I remembered there is already a mod with that name...
    Last edited by Architect of Doom; April 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM.

EDIT: I first thought about using the name "Total Realism" (because EB is historically realistic), but then I remembered there is already a mod with that name...
    Yep, and ironically Total Realism primes over gameplay than historical accuracy!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

"what colour the water-pistols should be"

White, plastic, with rounded corners.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Hmm, maybe Domini de saeculi vetustas? That is Masters of the old world run through google translate. Of course, nothing says that the name should be in latin, except for you know, badassness sake.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeel View Post
    Hmm, maybe Domini de saeculi vetustas? That is Masters of the old world run through google translate. Of course, nothing says that the name should be in latin, except for you know, badassness sake.
    It is a pretty badass name. If EB was to ever change its name, I would suggest this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast