Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sengoku Gekokujo: I am updating TROM with a new name and major changes

Default Re: Sengoku Gekokujo: I am updating TROM with a new name and major changes

Do you have any changes in mind towards sieges? I'm not a 16th century Japan-student, but siege warfare doesn't feel extremely historically plausible atm. Currently almost every siege is a first-turn assault, and usually bringing some archers and katana samurai suffices to take a castle, it feels too easy sometimes.

So, apart from the increased garrison sizes mentioned in the first post, do you have a specific opinion on how hard it should be as an attacker to take a fortress (even with only a garrison present), or on the ratio of starve-out sieges/siege assaults?

Anyway, this looks very promising, I'd like to try after my exams!

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Sengoku Gekokujo: I am updating TROM with a new name and major changes

The list says that garrisons will be much larger, but in my campaigns the garrisons are almost nonexistent. I have the latest dev patch, but the most I get out of a military centered city with a fortress is three garrison troops.

-deleted-
    Last edited by mhdsafwanindera; June 29, 2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: duplicate

Total War Shogun 2 : Morning Sun Mods - Ming Dynasty vs Japan Shogunate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...un-Version-1-0

which one link download

Total War Shogun 2 : Morning Sun Mods - Ming Dynasty vs Japan Shogunate
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...un-Version-1-0

dowdpride's Avatar Decanus

Will there be any plans to update the Fall of the Samurai expansion? I would love to see more attention to it, such as a significantly increased roster, more provinces, etc.

Civis

awesome mod!! do i need to install the patch 5?
    Last edited by djangooo; July 15, 2014 at 05:27 AM.

I've been playing with Sengoku Gekokujo recently and while I like what I've seen I always end up with a crash by turn 30. Other than the turn number a common factor seems to be that the crash happens while processing the turn for the vanilla major clans (in my case always Oda or Uesugi). Anyone else noticing this?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Moose
    I'm not a 16th century Japan-student, but siege warfare doesn't feel extremely historically plausible atm.
    It definitely isn't. In reality, Japanese castles were placed in distant locations and made heavy use of terrain. In order to conquer a castle, the attacker had to pass several well-defended courtyards before reaching the keep. That's why starving the defenders was the prefered method to conquer a castle.
    Right now, the defender is at a disadvantage as he can't throw down stones at climbers and the castle design is totally unrealistic. Not to mention the gate burning.
    It might be possible to create more realistic siege scenes, but map editing is a tedious and complicated task.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeveli View Post
    I've been playing with Sengoku Gekokujo recently and while I like what I've seen I always end up with a crash by turn 30. Other than the turn number a common factor seems to be that the crash happens while processing the turn for the vanilla major clans (in my case always Oda or Uesugi). Anyone else noticing this?
    Several players of my realism mod also encounter this crash. Unfortunately, the game doesn't generate any crash logs, so it's difficult to locate the error. Seeing as it happens inbetween turns, I presume it might have something to do with the campaign AI.
    If anyone figures out what's causing these crashes, please tell me.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Several players of my realism mod also encounter this crash. Unfortunately, the game doesn't generate any crash logs, so it's difficult to locate the error. Seeing as it happens inbetween turns, I presume it might have something to do with the campaign AI.
    If anyone figures out what's causing these crashes, please tell me.
    I have zero skills relating to this but as far as I know steam does create crash reports in the form of mdmp files. Im not sure if they are any good though.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Reeveli View Post
    I have zero skills relating to this but as far as I know steam does create crash reports in the form of mdmp files. Im not sure if they are any good though.
    Apparently, you need Micro$oft Visual Studio to open these minidumps. I'll give it a try.
    UPDATE: Minidumps can be opened and they tell us why the game crashes. So, if your game crashes, send the minidump to the mod maker and tell him that he needs Visual Studio 2013 Express.
    If three different mods like TROM, Shogun II Total Realism and Real Garrison Mod have the same inbetween turn crash, then something's wrong. Let's find out why the game is crashing.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; September 04, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

many units have wrong stats and upkeep.

im interested in the reason why stats are showing up as abnormally low numbers

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Realism?? 12 turns per year??!? WHY WASN'T I INFORMED OF THIS!!!! SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

Is this still being developed?
    Last edited by Lord Baal; October 03, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Yes!

Obi Wan is back in Shogun 2, sweet.

I'm thrilled that TROM is not over.

I really enjoy TROM3 and consider it the 'best' Shogun 2 mod for many reasons but one of those reasons was that it didn't really feel like a mod; nothing radical was really included among the plethora of changes - it simply felt (and played) like a better Shogun 2 (across the board).

This new take on the game, although adding some nice new features to the already polished TROM3 package (wider deployment zones etc), leaves me a little concerned. The one outstanding issue is the sheer number and proximity of provinces (and thus castles) I think will no doubt exacerbate Shogun 2's worst aspect - which is siege battles as opposed to land battles - as it seems like this direction will make make siege battles 90% of all battles occurring in the game.

I fully acknowledge the fact that the vanilla map was rather sparse in certain points (Shikoku leaps to mind) and your ability to seemingly mod the map so competently is certainly a very cool thing, but I think you've made a huge error in making the map this busy.

The only way I can see this direction really working well is if the 'better maps' (and wall-less settlements) mod that's currently in development is adopted wholesale.

Otherwise, all the positioning, 'campaigning' and 'deep penetration' that brings out the best in Shogun (and Total War in general) will be tactically unsound and the often ridiculous camp in a castle and defeat army after army - which would utterly annihilate you in the field - over and over - until victory the aggressor is exhausted, will be the name of the game. . .

I think new and more provinces is great in general, truly, if done modestly to make formerly stale positions more 'choicey' and strategically interesting. But less is more in this case. I think you've seriously over done it.

Still, I'm going to continue to play this for tens of hours to come as I'm a huge fan of your work and I'll continue to follow this development closely.

All the best and if you could cook up an optional - far more modest map - somewhere between vanilla and SG, one that encourages field battles and strategic choke points - (non-settlement) choke points - I think it'd really shine.

Keep doing your thing though, this is a cry of passion, nothing more.

Thanks for reading,

Z.

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

I agree that the extra provinces focuses on the worst issue in Total War games (that exists in Rome 2 and probably Attila as well now): city warfare. Every battle is fought at a city. Battles need to be fought outside the cities. Didn't know there was a wall-less settlement mod in development though. That could help, but would still bring is to the fact that we wouldn't be moving around the map much. I think a lot of the problem with "city-hopping" is that the AI is not inclined to leave the city unless on the attack. Something should be done to make the AI want to sit at chokepoints or sit outside their city.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

It would help if taking a fortress was much more difficult and if AI understood that. If most of the besiegers go for starving the defenders, more land battles will happen (near cities) between besiegers and a reinforcing defender's army. In such a situation it would not really matter that the map is cramped with settlements, as sieges would end in land battles most of the time (and sometimes bloody assaults).

But personally I have no idea which parameters could influence how the AI decides to (not) launch an assault.
    Last edited by Wicked Moose; October 07, 2014 at 06:12 PM.

My best idea to reduce the number of seiges is to reduce the speed of travelling province to province, taking two or 3 turns for infantry, perhals giving a movement penaltymto friendly armies in a settlement.

How does one go about downloading the most recent version?

MaskedWaltz's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    How does one go about downloading the most recent version?
    Go Here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...otSFotS)/page2

3rd post has the dl links!

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Zybortrix, I think you perfectly sum up what makes TROM so good and special :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zybortrix View Post
    Otherwise, all the positioning, 'campaigning' and 'deep penetration' that brings out the best in Shogun (and Total War in general) will be tactically unsound and the often ridiculous camp in a castle and defeat army after army - which would utterly annihilate you in the field - over and over - until victory the aggressor is exhausted, will be the name of the game. . .
    I agree, totally. That's why the best moments in my memory of S2 campaigns were often when trying to conquer (or defend) the northern territories. It was a constant cat and mouse game with the ennemy armies and it felt more realistic somehow not to see exactly when and how the ennemy would attack. That's also why I love so much FOTS campaign map, it feels bigger. Playing as Aizu it's really difficult to block the ennemy armies and many times, they have surprised me by passing through some mountains or another path put of the usual road ways. The fog of war becomes fully effective then. And yes, siege battles are not realistic. They are not so terrible on a purely game aspect, but so long for the sim.

I was really excited to try the extended map mod but when I realised that Japan was looking much smaller and that I was mainly playing siege battles i became bored. First time I stopped a campaign so quickly. But I'm really interested in the strategic side of the game, and I'm aware most people doesn't feel the same.

Is there an option to play TROM with the old campaign map ?
    Last edited by Yerevan; October 22, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

I dont understand, TROM is not working anymore?? I downloaded v1.91 and it is playable i think..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast