Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Beasts of War" DLC?

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: "Beasts of War" DLC?

Yes one of those. I also want to see Killer Whales with soldiers strapped to the back for naval battles, it is suiting since it is already the alternative name for the Orca. Speaking of which, I would so love to see Orcs, I guess they would best fit into the Roman faction since they fit like a glove with Roman culture and Roman infinite manpower.

If a Roman mother lost a child she would not cry, she would just say: "Who cares, I laid 20 other eggs this very morning"
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Does it throw torches?
    No, the torches are getting replaced - your soldiers will now throw flaming pigs at the enemy gate.

Cool! Can't wait for it!

Just got a Google Alert that Beasts of War is in fact planned for the upcoming Warhammer TW game.

"Beasts of War"? I wouldn't mind some new germanic tribes to be sure.

Oh yes please

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

A guy wearing two dudes heads for nuts, well that is scarey.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Finally, after all these years. A Rome Before Time.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 07, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Oh yes please
    Christ I really hope this is not a route that CA will be going down! If so it's time to hang up my boots!

I know its fantasy and there will be a huge following on this, but not me

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Christ I really hope this is not a route that CA will be going down! If so it's time to hang up my boots!

I know its fantasy and there will be a huge following on this, but not me
    A game made by CA using the Fantasy Warhammer license is already confirmed, with Games Workshop helping out (or at least providing quality assurance). Whenever it'll be a Total War title, is yet to be seen though.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    A game made by CA using the Fantasy Warhammer license is already confirmed, with Games Workshop helping out (or at least providing quality assurance). Whenever it'll be a Total War title, is yet to be seen though.
    This might be a good chance for CA do create a good Warhammer game. In the general direction they have gone with Rome II with magic buttons, a Warhammer game might use the 'improvements' and turn out to be great.

Depends on CA, of course. If it is going to be a TW game or not.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Sigmagnat's Avatar Libertus

Honestly, a Warhammer Total War game would be SWEET!!!! I love the TW franchise, and I definitely love the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k franchises.

I know there are people that will poo-poo at the notion because it's "fantasy and not history", but hey, not everyone likes Napoleon or the 19th century Japanese situation. If anyone is familiar with GW tabletop I.P. then I think it should be fairly obvious that the Total War platform is definitely a great fit (e.g. the manner in which you build armies is the same). It would allow you to add many new features to the series. For instance, magic, as General Maximus stated. It would open up the creativeness of the design team. Yeah they'll be limited by GW, but, they'll have to create VERY unique and fleshed out factions in order for it to work. Not to mention, they could add a very heavy RPG element that ties into generals, family trees, army legacies, etc.

That in turn might actually lead to a new engine *fingers crossed* And, as far as i'm concerned, anything that can be done to advance the features and diversity of the franchise is a good thing. Medieval 3 Total War? Empire 2? Yeah that'd be fun, but at the same time it's a huge been there, done that. Given the response from the audience with Rome 2 and the overtures pining for a return to Rome 1, it wouldn't surprise me at all if CA pursues a breath of fresh air. For people that gripe about Warhammer TW and how it might be a big-flop or that it's an awful idea, I can only point to the demand and subsequent success of mods for previous titles that delve into fantasy whether it be the world of Warhammer, Westeros, or Middle Earth. Some of the more die-hard, history oriented TW fans man leave the ranks for a title or so, but I think ultimately you'd pick up more followers from gamers in general and the fairly large Warhammer fanbase.

ANYHOW, if Beasts of War isn't Warhammer related and pertains to Rome 2- hoping and praying for a Second Punic War campaign!

I for one love both my Totalwar and my Warhammer greatly, and am super hyped for the upcomming "Totalwarhammer" game;

but I reeealy dont want my TW to suffer from any WH design decissions.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Full CA post:
    Beasts of War Pack announced!

We are delighted to announce the next forthcoming DLC for Total War: ROME II – the Beasts of War unit pack, which will be available to buy next week.

Marshall your savagery, and strike primal fear into the hearts of your enemies. Comprising seven new battlefield units, Beasts of War brings further variety to ROME II’s already diverse unit roster.

Terrorise your enemies and slow their progress with beehive, scorpion and snake-pot ballistas, or crush them under the weight of heavily-armoured Cataphract Camels and Mercenary Syrian Armoured Elephants. And when their will is broken and they flee the field, run them down with two new breeds of ferocious war-dogs.

• Molossian Dogs

Can be recruited by: Epirus

A heavily muscled beast from western Greece, the now-extinct Molossian is considered to be the predecessor of many of today’s larger breeds, such as the Rottweiler and Great Dane. Used as both a guard dog and in battle, Virgil remarked “never, with them on guard, need you fear for your stalls a midnight thief, or onslaught of wolves, or Iberian brigands at your back.” These vicious dogs do not tire easily, and never lose the scent of an enemy.

• Beehive Onager

Can be recruited by: Rome, Athens, Epirus, Macedon, Sparta, and Syracuse

Whilst large-scale beekeeping for agricultural purposes was a later innovation, the humble honeybee nevertheless held an important place in ancient Greek culture. A trio of mythical nymphs, the Thriae or ‘bee maidens’, were loved by Apollo and Poseidon, bearing their children. Bees also have a practical application in battle, as a swarm of angry bees will always cause troops to stall and panic.

• Scorpion Pot Ballista

Can be recruited by: Pontus, Parthia

Home to the most lethal scorpions in the known world, whose sting can paralyse and kill a man within an hour, it was only a matter of time before a wily Middle Eastern general used them against his enemies. Spare a thought, then, for the Roman emperor Severus; whilst besieging the Parthian city of Hatra, his army was showered with pots of scorpions from atop the city walls. Like Trajan before him, Severus failed to breach the defences, even after two attempts.

• Snake Pot Ballista

Can be recruited by: Carthage

Perhaps the most famous use of potted animals was Hannibal Barca’s tactic against the fleets of Eumenes II of Pergamon. Hurling large clay pots full of venomous snakes onto the decks of Eumenes’ ships; he panicked the enemy fleet and won the day. Any unit struck by writhing, venomous snakes will pause to consider the wisdom of marching onwards!

• Camel Cataphracts

Can be recruited by: Parthia

The Roman general Macrinus was not noted for his experience, although had another fought the Battle of Nisbis in 217 AD, it’s hard to imagine he’d be any less stunned by the Parthian cataphract camels fielded that day. Wearing coats of tough, yet flexible, scale-mail, they made an awesome and terrifying sight as they punched through the frontlines and spooked the Roman horses with their camels’ earthy stench.

• Celtic Warhounds

Can be recruited by: Iceni, Cantiaci, Caledones, Demetae, Dumnonii, Brigantes, and Ebdani

Dogs have always been useful for guard, patrol and scout work. With skilled handlers they can also be used effectively on the battlefield. Attack dogs were specifically bred and trained to ignore the noise and chaos of combat. The Celtic tribes of the late Iron Age put them to great use. Their speed and ferocity made them ideal shock-troops, and perfect for running down fleeing stragglers.

• Mercenary Syrian Armoured Elephants

Can be hired as mercenaries in: Dura, Antioch, Tyros, and Palmeira

Indian elephants first came to the Middle East when Seleucus, one of Alexander the Great’s Successors, invaded India in 305 BC. 500 war elephants were handed over as part of the peace treaty between the Seleucid dynasty and the Mauryans of India, and the Seleucids went on to breed many more from this initial stock. War elephants remained an important part of the Seleucid army until their defeat by the Romans at Magnesia in 190 BC, following which they were forbidden from breeding more.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

They seriously expect us to pay money for something like a Scorpion Pot Balista?

LMFAO! this has to be the stupidest idea for a dlc in total war history. I mean they really want me to pay for a beehive onager? hahaha! I dont think so. Is this really the best that you could come up with CA? these are the most pointless and asinine units I have read about in a long time. (okay admittedly the armored elephant is cool, but I'm not buying this dlc just for that) If we were almost in April I would think this was an April fools joke...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

So funny that there is not flaming pigs

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

So funny that there is not flaming pigs
    Scorpion Pot Ballistas are more realistic

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

My copter rofl is ready for liftoff

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast