Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Nothing. Rarely meet them in real life, although the station is very close to where I live.

BTW in Pakistan (the only foreign country I visited) they have police guarding McDonald's, Malls and there are rifle-armed police squad at crossroads. I'd give them 8 by their equipment!

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Here they don't carry guns at all.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Haha, Ajax got absolutely destroyed by PEC Zwolle in the the cup final, that was a great night. Losing 5-1 from the underdog, a pure disgrace for the team that will become champion for the fourth time in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    I'd certainly read that

How do you guys feel about the police in your respective life situations?

From a scale to 1: " tha police" to a 10: "The best men and women we have to offer!"
    Probably a 6,5, they're decent but there's a lot of room for improvement. It's focused way too much on reaching their fine quota and they waste manpower on useless things as giving speeding tickets to people that drive 7km too fast on a 50km road... Overall the law and police are very loose though, a lot of things that are actually illegal aren't actively checked and most policemen/women are reasonable enough to give you a warning first or order you to to walk home when you don't have light on your bike at night.

6-7 local wise. 1-2 if you mean all around (you know outside locally)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Low opinion on police all around then

Well reason I bring it up is because I'm sort of in a bit of a student burnout right now. I'm at the last month of my degree and two more years for a master does not seem very tempting. So I'm considering " it" and apply for the police academy instead. The average successful applicant is about my age so It's k.

I've worked within security since I was 18, that, combined with a completed bachelors and a good enough physical condition would give me a good chance of making the selection process.

Oh and I'm with Vatter. I've always trusted the police, they are around a 8 for me.

But for people that havent posted yet, keep the ratings coming though
    Last edited by Påsan; April 20, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

My opinion of cops:
    Spoiler for Censor Bypass

Now if police were more like Dredd...
    Last edited by Påsan; April 20, 2014 at 08:00 PM.

I noticed that people complain about the police all the time and everywhere. Honestly sometimes I wonder are people to whiny or we as a society just can't handle law.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I have never had any trouble with the police and I honestly think a lot of the time people who claim police brutality are either exaggerating or they were physically provoking the officer. Seen that sort of thing happen many times at university protests.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I noticed that people complain about the police all the time and everywhere. Honestly sometimes I wonder are people to whiny or we as a society just can't handle law.
    I have an uncle in the police force he is a nice guy, I would say he is trustworthy but that does not mean that I would automatically trust the police. For example here in the UK there have been quite a few cases of corruption within the police forces up and down the land. In the region where I live the head guy who ran the force is facing strong allegations of corruption. So I think it is a fair thing to view the police as an organisation like any other where those who hold the job have the potential to either get things wrong or try and make things easy on themselves as such this can be something you could experience negative consequences with.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

the police no justice no peace!

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    the police no justice no peace!
    You might enjoy the musical work of RATM (Rage Against the Machine)

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

I honestly do not know how to rate the Police in China.
    The Chinese drive atrociously and the police seems very nonchalant about enforcement.
    The bus driver one day did get a ticket for making an illegal left turn. I think the sign was new though (maybe it was a new toy and wanted to play around by actually writing moving violations).
    There is little serious crime, but I don't think that is the result of "good" police work or even a police presence. The more or less blend into the scenery. Occasionally, I see car or van filled with uniforms. Sometimes the lights are flashing; for what reason you can guess as good as me. What I have been told is that there is a an informal police that sort of keep an eye on people. If there is a problem, the Police go straight to them. They do have "rent-a-cops" here. My favorite is the ones that wear US Army surplus uniforms complete with a 101st Airborne patch...LOL

When I live in Shanghai.. the happy ending massage places and whorehouses would occasionally be raided (they were closed). The police pick and choose when to enforce illegal activity. I would not be surprise if this is done in collusion with the owners similar to the way the game works with illegal immigrant workers in the US.

Conclusion:
    Everyone seems to behave in- line. There is little criminal activity (though they have a tv program where they show sting activity). However, they pick and choose when to enforce the laws.
    Traffic laws are large ignore by ALL. In Beijing everyone drives like they are crack, in Shanghai like they are quaaludes, and people Changchun drive slightly better (but still nutty) but they get in more wrecks. I think I have to give them a "5" They are more like bureaucrats than law enforcers.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Traffic laws are large ignore by ALL. In Beijing everyone drives like they are crack, in Shanghai like they are quaaludes, and people Changchun drive slightly better (but still nutty) but they get in more wrecks. I think I have to give them a "5" They are more like bureaucrats than law enforcers.
    In the UK the traffic laws are those that the police enforce the most as they are used as revenue making devices. Oh you were speeding fine, parked in the wrong place fine, ran a red light fine. There are a lot of offences in the book and much manpower and resources are applied to monitoring and enforcing road laws. Much is under the guise of road safety which I accept is important. No one wants drink drivers. The only thing is that so much effort is expended on road offences that it feels that actual violent crime gets little consideration when compared.

Also credit avatar from.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

In Colombia traffic laws are horrible and theft is enforced horribly. But serious crimes are hard to do with gun control and whenever there are soldiers everywhere. Any large crime will usually be committed by professionals or cut throats with knives. At worst it is mugging and theft though unless politicians are in town and the Mexicans on motorcycles roll out.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    In Colombia traffic laws are horrible and theft is enforced horribly. But serious crimes are hard to do with gun control and whenever there are soldiers everywhere. Any large crime will usually be committed by professionals or cut throats with knives. At worst it is mugging and theft though unless politicians are in town and the Mexicans on motorcycles roll out.
    Chris Ryan ex SAS guy who was the one that got away in Bravo 2 Zero did a TV series for Sky about the worlds most elite police forces. He goes and interviews them whilst training with them and going out on missions to observe, did an episode on the Columbian police who battle the drug lords.

I watched this and turned to my friend saying that they are not a police force they are a special forces unit for jungle warfare on secondment from the army. He agreed with me. These guys were in full Green Khakis with war paint and assault rifles being air dropped into the Jungle by helicopter and using full military tactics and kit.
    Last edited by G-Megas-Doux; April 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

Also credit avatar from.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    In the UK the traffic laws are those that the police enforce the most as they are used as revenue making devices. Oh you were speeding fine, parked in the wrong place fine, ran a red light fine. There are a lot of offences in the book and much manpower and resources are applied to monitoring and enforcing road laws. Much is under the guise of road safety which I accept is important. No one wants drink drivers. The only thing is that so much effort is expended on road offences that it feels that actual violent crime gets little consideration when compared.
    The United States is no different.

The other day I was in a car a Chinese woman and she made a left turn. In the US and in most countries I have lived in it is wise to wait to the oncoming traffic passes and you safely cross when it is clear. This is not so here. Most left turn drivers will race across; some would even head straight at oncoming traffic to get to a point of turning quicker. The only problem I had is if someone were to decide not to let her go I would be the first one hit. LOL. I think it is so common that people simply move out slowly expecting some fool to force his way in a left turn. The Chinese have NO misgivings about cutting off traffic to get where they want to go. Everyone uses their horns to.... but no one pays any attention to them.

When I told her in the US she would had received a ticket if not hit (People in the US will try to intimidate you by speeding up to make you think they will hit you, but some are to dumb to judge how far to take it without hitting you). She laughed and said; "This is China, this is the way we drive!" What can you do but smile to that!

A promised of another lovely Chinese song. Its by the same singer. 雲朵(Yun Duo)

Description
    【Chinese Music】Shepherd Music Video.Western music.Sound of nature.Ethereal music.Official version by Ayalaso.Amazing. I am lonely shepherd.西域歌曲,意境悠远,令人沉醉。我是自然的孩子,我是孤独的牧羊人*。羌族歌手雲朵《牧羊人》MV官方正式版,词曲:刀郎。爱情不曾分手,孤独不会终老。*我为风歌唱,为云跳舞,为雨哭泣。

Great commentary about the singer
    It’s gloomy picture presented by Dao Lang, the composer of the song. He himself was also a singer. Why was he not published the singing himself too, as he often did? Was it because of the teacher/student relationship? The might be some private / commercial reasons for the arrangement. I wasn’t sure. Dao Lang’s voice was coarse and hoarse. It should be matching well with this sobbing description. Yun Dao’s vocal was high pitched and charming. Both had profound and powerful singing – vigor singers with their own beliefs (though Yun Duo heavily inherited from Dao Lang, or Dao Lang had overly invested on Yun Duo.) Why not choose a decrepit tone instead of an angel’s cornet?
    I am not a musician. I am a notes deaf. However, I am an audience, not just listening to music, songs but also the mains of the presenters. Sorry, Yun Dao, I cannot contribute much to elevate your voice further from your fans wrote on to U-tube. All I can say, I really appreciate your marvelous singing in this song. You were not just presenting your master’s art, but delivering his mood, magnifying his visions, inviting audience to take him, you and yourself too. I join in because of your yearning, darning of the composer’s message. The more songs I listened from you, the more I know your talent in expounding other’s inventions. I am not sure about my feel back would be had be songs be sung by Dao Lang himself. I am not sure his selection of singer was right or not. All I know and feel is I understand it (not the selection itself), I love it, I take it. I join in and deserving me to spend to response to both of your call.
    I hope I will have more writing about you Yun Duo in your other singings.

Personally,I love her voice/ singing. She sings with great passion and strength. If I can find such a women in character, personality and beauty, I would be completely enraptured by her. Oh, one can dream....

You Duo Youtube Playlist (50 songs) Enjoy!
    This way I do not have to post all of your songs...
    Last edited by PikeStance; April 21, 2014 at 02:00 AM.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Police in Ireland are called Guards (or Gardaí if you want). You wouldn't see that many of them about tbh, and they seem sound enough - ish. You mostly see them working on nights out, when they can get sick and tired of drunk people and have somewhat short tempers.

You'd hear stories of them being proper dickheads though, thinking they're above normal people. Plus there's the wee bits of corruption and all that. Meanta be a good job though, like most jobs in the civil sector. I'd rate them about 3-5. They help sometimes.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Good afternoo- holycrap, it is already 4 pm. Oh well, slept after a night shift, then rehoused my meanest and nastiest spider into a new terrarium. I'd call it a productive day.
    börk börk

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

You own more than one?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Yup, the spiders that I've been posting here are mine unless explicitly stated otherwise. Got eleven.
    börk börk