Thread: Free Energy

Default Free Energy

Steorn, an Irish technology development company, claims to have discovered a technology based on the interaction of magnetic fields that allows the production of clean, free and constant energy. In theory, this should be impossible as it breaks the first law of termodynamics.

On Aug. 18th, Steorn has placed an advertisement in The Economist this week to attract the attention of the world’s leading scientists working in the field of experimental physics. From all the scientists who accept Steorn’s challenge, twelve will be invited to take part in a rigorous testing exercise to prove that Steorn’s technology creates free energy. The results will be published worldwide.

More info here: http://www.steorn.net/

‘gia des kairo pou dialexe o charos na me parei’

Borat's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Free Energy

i don't know what to say if it will work or not but, the best of luck.

Tecumseh's Avatar Watching, Waiting

In theory, this should be impossible as it breaks the first law of termodynamics.
    Breaking laws? Thermodynamics? This all sounds a little fishy to me. I don't think we should support people who break laws.

People who break laws are criminals, these people should be sent to prison, not applauded.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

People who break laws are criminals, these people should be sent to prison, not applauded.
    lol wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    lol wtf?
    You heard me.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

You heard me.
    sure did. I guess sometimes simple jokes are the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    sure did. I guess sometimes simple jokes are the best?
    Mr. Bwaho, if that is your real username, I would like to ask why you think this is a joke? Is there something humorous about what I said? I don't think so.

There is a reason we have laws. To protect us against those who would do us harm and to uphold society and civilization. Without laws we would be nothing but savage barbarians. So when I see people cheering on individuals breaking laws, laws of thermodynamics no less, I get angry. People who break the law are sent to prison. Or are at least given appropriate punishment.

If I was a police officer, I would investigate these people and bring them down. I would make sure they were locked up, or if possible given the death penalty. And if the judge decided that my case was stupid and they should not be punished, I would deal out justice myself and shoot them.

You may be an anarchist, but I'm not. Anarchy is not cool.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

I would like to ask why you think this is a joke? Is there something humorous about what I said? I don't think so.
    oh so you weren't joking? well then hopefully I will be able to explain this in a good way, afterwards you will also think it is funny!

There is a reason we have laws. To protect us against those who would do us harm and to uphold society and civilization. Without laws we would be nothing but savage barbarians. So when I see people cheering on individuals breaking laws, laws of thermodynamics no less
    The laws of thermodynamics isn't the kind of law you're thinking about. It's not the same as a law that forbids you to steal or kill. It's a law of physics.

We have the law of gravitation for example. You don't get imprisoned for breaking the law of gravitation... if you did then most of our astronauts would be in jail by now!

haha no I'm not an anarchist

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Basically, I'll believe this when I see it in use. Free energy would be nice, but it seems unlikely to ever be discovered based on what we know.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

The concept of free energy has been around for many many years now, just think if they are telling the truth. No more squabling over energy, No more death over it and, mabe the end of energy bill's.

Looks like a good future!

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    Mr. Bwaho, if that is your real username, I would like to ask why you think this is a joke? Is there something humorous about what I said? I don't think so.

There is a reason we have laws. To protect us against those who would do us harm and to uphold society and civilization. Without laws we would be nothing but savage barbarians. So when I see people cheering on individuals breaking laws, laws of thermodynamics no less, I get angry. People who break the law are sent to prison. Or are at least given appropriate punishment.

If I was a police officer, I would investigate these people and bring them down. I would make sure they were locked up, or if possible given the death penalty. And if the judge decided that my case was stupid and they should not be punished, I would deal out justice myself and shoot them.

I am afraid you are mistakin my friend, I am not speaking the law of the land, I am speaking of law as in the law of phisics.

By the way, I dont sapport anarchest, I actually hate them. But I am not saying that my goverment has my full sapport either.

I'm gonna come out and say that this is false. It violates the first law of thermodynamics.

Though what the laws of thermodynamics say isn't necessarily going to happen all the time, I don't think this a law bending/breaking invention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabius Bluberus
    "I would have followed you to the end... my brother... my captain... my King" Weak-Minded Gondorian to Wimpy So-called King that is afraid of a ring.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

The laws of physics are only approximations to reality, and have had to be revised before to make them better approximations to reality. Up to now we've found no situation in which much energy is created or destroyed on average, but that doesn't mean that no such situation could ever occur. It just means we should be duly skeptical of any claims that it does.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

No, not with the laws of thermodynamics. Otherwise we would have a free lunch, and we all know there is no such thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn#Inconsistencies

All of it still smells very fishy if you ask me.