Thread: is my spec supposed to lag?

Default is my spec supposed to lag?

Hi, I am a total war fans, but I have skipped a couple of games for few years after Medieval Total war 2 . When I first heard about the announcement of Rome 2, I was very excited, and I decided to build a computer when it came out. I have very limited computer knowledge though

So I have been studying the threads about the spec of the computer which will play the game in extreme, and I found a link as below

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Advice-Thread

Then about a week ago, I built a system as below

CPU-GTX 780 (No overclock)
    Mother Board-I5 4670K@3.4 (No overclock)
    RAM: 16gb

Because I have been reading the threads about the performance of the game, and I know that Rome 2 isnt optimized, so when I played in custom battle with more than 10,000 men, I felt like the game lag quite seriously.

Then I went back for Shogun 2, and tried to play the custom battle with more than 20,000 men, but I still encountered lag, while I watch some video online like with lower spec than mine still play it perfectly with everything max out

here is the link I watched
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXJJDnLINg

It makes me feel really confused. Is my computer problem?or I actually have to overclock all my systems in order to make things better? Helps will be really appreciated..

Sorry for my poor English, English is not my first language.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: is my spec supposed to lag?

Just read around. Many of us have a system like yours. It`s not your fault, it`s CA`s fault. The game is NOT optimised well at all. And before you say, `But CA said it was-`

Well they told porky pies.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Just read around. Many of us have a system like yours. It`s not your fault, it`s CA`s fault. The game is NOT optimised well at all. And before you say, `But CA said it was-`

Well they told porky pies.
    I know it is for Rome 2, so I went for Shogun 2 for massive battle, but I still encountered lag. I thought a more than 2 years old game should be handled by my spec just fine even with hug battle like 20 to 30 K men, but it isnt aswell

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

have a look here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13295468

please compare settings to your results so you know if they are ok.
    Last edited by alQamar; October 04, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    have a look here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13295468

please compare settings to your results so you know if they are ok.
    I just curious why the performance in Shogun 2 wasnt really great like I watched in internet when comparing to those plp having lower spec than mine. Do I have to overclock my system? Actually I am kinda idiot about computer actually

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

there are several things that can go wrong, since its a new system I take that windows haven't been badly damaged

so we move to drivers, drivers are software that are used to communicate with the hardware, install the latest beta driver for your gpu from the nvidia site, if I remember correctly there are some optimisations for this game and should improve your shogun 2 performance.

shogun 2 is a very punishing game, but you do have a top end system if max is max then you might see some problems

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

I have got a pc alot like yours.
    i5 2.8 ghz
    780gtx
    8gig ram
    and get ok frame rates while keeping it look awesome.
    The first thing to do in get nividia inspector and upload the rome 2 profile and play around with nividea control panel plus ingame settings.
    Doing this you can get a good 30 frams a sec which is fine plus yours is a bit better so you should be able to keep better fps with higher troop numbers which is the big killer.

i5 2.8 ghz
    780gtx
    8gig ram
    The first thing to do in get nividia inspector and upload the rome 2 profile and play around with nividea control panel plus ingame settings.
    Doing this you can get a good 30 frams a sec which is fine plus yours is a bit better so you should be able to keep better fps with higher troop numbers which is the big killer.
    Now that's excellent advice.

is my spec supposed to lag?
    Yep, they all lag, accept perhaps the very fastest CPU and Titan GPU.

From what I can figure Rome2 is sending 2.5x the data through the CPU that Shogun2 did. The worst mistake CA made was not optimizing the game for quad core, which would double the FPS.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by bushranger View Post
    i5 2.8 ghz
    780gtx
    8gig ram
    thanks for the reply, but how to do that as u said, I mean Nividia inspector is a software thing??where I can download it? D I need to overclock my card?

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    there are several things that can go wrong, since its a new system I take that windows haven't been badly damaged

so we move to drivers, drivers are software that are used to communicate with the hardware, install the latest beta driver for your gpu from the nvidia site, if I remember correctly there are some optimisations for this game and should improve your shogun 2 performance.

shogun 2 is a very punishing game, but you do have a top end system if max is max then you might see some problems
    Thanks for the reply. I think my driver is not old, it is ver 327.23, should be the latest one I know, but every time when i turn on everything on max and have around 20K men in the battlefield , it lag. If my spec supposed to lag, then I have nth to say, however, when I watched some people's video online with lower spec but better performance, I just feel confused, whether the system is doing its best or not

Try disabling soft shadows and limit AA to 2x, also try disabling any nonsense you dont notice during battles such as tesselation. Otherwise idk Shogun 2 is very well optimised for my pc but I havent tried it with 20,000 men honestly.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin1982lam View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think my driver is not old, it is ver 327.23, should be the latest one I know, but every time when i turn on everything on max and have around 20K men in the battlefield , it lag. If my spec supposed to lag, then I have nth to say, however, when I watched some people's video online with lower spec but better performance, I just feel confused, whether the system is doing its best or not
    well thats not necessarily the thing, for example AA, HBAO and other options cripple the performance, along with the number of soldiers in battle

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin1982lam View Post
    thanks for the reply, but how to do that as u said, I mean Nividia inspector is a software thing??where I can download it? D I need to overclock my card?
    Go to the Nvida tab in your programs and click on the Geforce Experience, that will give you Rome2 game settings for your hardware.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!