Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Come on then!, who else thinks Rome Total War or its mods is better than Total War: Rome 2 is it just me ?.

Default Re: Come on then!, who else thinks Rome Total War is better than Total War: Rome 2 is it just me ?.

I do wish some things from the original MTW and STW were brought in i.e the idea of rank bonuses as a direct affect.

Default Re: Come on then!, who else thinks Rome Total War is better than Total War: Rome 2 is it just me ?.

If they didn't go overboard with the polygon count and such, we may be playing with much more massive battles now. I think the M2TW polygon count was enough. More animation sequences added and its perfect.

I'd rather have 30k men battles than 5k with more polygons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonoleth Irenicus View Post
    @ stackero : are these images true ?

Could it be that RTW 1 AI was able to keep formations ?

Was there a time when battles made sense ?

Where is there a RTW 2 apologist to come to the rescue of CA and denounce these heretical postings ?

(PS : please continue)
    It is true and they will come.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Oh YES ! Rome 1 was better in any aspect and made a lot of fun !
    It gave me a vintage feeling and the were so many possibilities !

Also , when someone didn't like the AI , he could download a lot of good mods .
    Rome 1 was made with a lot more heart than Rome 2 , and was not that broken on release.

Icon1 Re: Come on then!, who else thinks Rome Total War is better than Total War: Rome 2 is it just me ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    I played the original Rome when it was released and lots of mod since - and i can promise you, with unmodded AI generals with mounted bodyguards frequently threw their own lives and those of their bodyguards away to try to kill skirmishers.

When modded with Sinuhet's (now no longer online) or Darth's AI formations it stopped doing this.

Because fighting basically the same battle over and over again. Because when battles are common and the results of them don't change anything at a campaign level it's dull and ridiculous. It gets to the point that every turn or every second or third turn you are refighting the same battle on each front though - and none of them mean a damn thing. One major battle that makes a significant difference was what tended to happen historically, because there was no army size limit. Limiting the number of armies each faction can have but increasing the maximum number of units in each army, as in Rome II, is better from that point of view (though unfortunately Rome II is worse in all kinds of other ways)

I'm having trouble believing you played the game at all. I've played Rome I and mods of it using all three exes (Rome one , BI.exe and ALX.exe) recently and ALX.exe is the only one that bothers combining armies into full stacks before attacking, or retraining understrength units. Rome and BI AIs don't bother - they constantly send in part stacks one at a time that could have been combined into one army before attacking and they constantly send in units that have almost no men left in them.

And the Scipii invaded Carthage's territory in North Africa and Sardinia and Corsica and the Balaeric Isles by sea in vanilla total war. But try any mod, with any of the three exes and playing as Carthage the Romans just don't bother invading by sea if you use the Rome 1 exe or ALX.exe - except tiny token forces to Sardinia late in the game. If you use BI they do, but with part stacks and poor battlefield AI.

You could be right that they don't have capture those towns as an objective - maybe it's destroy the Carthaginians as a faction that is the Scipii's first objective from the senate (I play as Carthage not Rome and only played as the Scipii to unlock other factions when Rome first came out, so don't remember).

However the fact remains that if you play any mod with a single Roman AI faction it almost never invades Carthaginian territory by sea - and if you play as Romans the Carthaginians don't invade Italy by sea either - losing any hope of an exciting Punic wars style conflict.

I greatly preferred that to all the factions that are out of period (Etruscans, Garamantines) , historically irrelevant in the period and area Rome II covers (e.g Nasamones) and made up (Nova Carthago etc) that often come to become major powers in Rome II. It's concievable that e.g the Seleucids or Ptolemaics might have defeated the Romans, but the idea that the Nasamones or Garamantines could become major powers is just ludicrous - and its annoying having to fight all these out of period and made up irrelevances - destroys the atmosphere.

Hi Dunadd. I'm not going to debate you're entire post but I will refer to your experience with vanilla Rome, which I assume was patched to at least 1.3 or 1.5.

Generals charging to their death in the way you describe. I never saw. Not saying it never could of happen but if it did in my games it wasn't enough for me to take notice or remember.

However, I have seen after a battle has started some AI generals will charge in behind their own troops to help break the enemy. If your line is tiring or wavering he could cause a breakthrough, problem was if the the AI general charged at the the enemy line and the enemy line held, it was a good chance the general would be killed, though I did see some retreat to reform before being killed.

I wouldn't have played a game where the enemy generals kept charging to their death before the battle even got underway, like unpatched Empire generals would do.

Good gaming
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Icon1 Re: Come on then!, who else thinks Rome Total War is better than Total War: Rome 2 is it just me ?.

Reason Rome 1 better plus mods

[/SPOILER]
    Roma Surrectum 2 mod Discription
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Roma Surrectum (meaning "Rome Arises") is a complete remake of the game, both graphically and in its gameplay. Improvements include a new economic system with hundreds of new buildings, an accurate and graphically improved campaign map, massively upgraded battlefield environments with more realistic custom-built vegetation, new factions, 28 unique Roman legions, and over 500 highly detailed and more historically accurate units.
    A Guide to a better RS2 experience:

RS2 vids

Rome Total War: Legion vs Phalanx RS2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=i2tUBVHff_k

RS2 : Campaign map AWESOME
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vna3aCtD4uw

Roma Serrectum 2 Campaign Map Preview and Rome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TzvetD39KiM

RS2.5 cities upgraded with new trees and buildings, as well as Tone's new Hillfort.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hbKMNX94x8o

I fought a massive battle against the Arvenii(Two full stacks). Here you can see them crossing the river. Never fight a horde in Winter.... No no no no but I still won killing 6000+ barbarians
    century x RS2

Roma Surrectum 2 pics

Stackero: Why do I post these pics and vids. The release of Rome 2 and the storm and confusion it caused among many new or casual players has sent many of them here looking for answers or help with R2.

And whether they like R2 or not, or stick with it or not, if they thumb through the pages of this thread they'll see Rome 1 and its mods, and know there are other real wargames here at TWC to take a look at. I do highlight Roma Surrectum 2 because in my opinion its the most advanced example of how far you can push a 10 year old Rome 1 and its still being improved and modified.

Although there are many more Rome1 mods to suit many peoples different tastes. And I have started covering them more.

'Many people believe R2 is far superior to vanilla Rome. Cool, to each his own. I understand, Rome 1 looks old compared to Rome 2 and Rome 1 still has its defects and R2 is oh so pretty.

And I'd rather play the lowest rated Rome 1 mod than play vanilla Rome patched.

However, as of right now, lock me in a room for a month with Rome 2 as it is now or
    even the near see-able future, and vanilla Rome patched, I would play the crap out of vanilla Rome.

I know so many ways to make that game fun; using migration tactics, moving capitals and more. House rules, like never building your army with more than 14 units and many more things can be done to easily relight the fire of Rome 1 making it fun and challenging. A 10 year old game that still has claim to that magic word; epic.'

Praetorian1

battle between Julius Caesar with his Legions and Insubres rebels in RS II.

Praetorian1
    battle between Julius Caesar with his Legions and Insubres rebels in RS II.

Praetorian1
    battle between Julius Caesar with his Legions and Insubres rebels. They break.
    MorganH.

The German frontier: Insurgents crossing the Rhine...

RabidSheepLegion-----SURROUNDED! (AW CRAP!)

Pope Gregorius I
    Alpine battle. my three rank system was a piece of cake

Praetorian_spqr

Praetorian_spqr 1st cohort of Praetorians, Eagle.

Praetorian_spqr
    Stand to!

Sertorio

clash of cavalry

Sertorio

Victory

Braeburn

Braeburn----- standoff between my legionaries and a Macedonian army

Braeburn

Sertorio
    Hold the line

badass7 Guy in the middle is a bit of a boss

badass7 Poor guy against the Spartan Captain

badass7

Watch your step!

Braeburn

Braeburn Legions forming for battle

Last edited by stackero; November 07, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GnaReffotsirk View Post
    If they didn't go overboard with the polygon count and such, we may be playing with much more massive battles now. I think the M2TW polygon count was enough. More animation sequences added and its perfect.

I'd rather have 30k men battles than 5k with more polygons.
    Yes GnaReffotsirk, less graphics, more soldiers"and" better AI. In R2 I'd say, alot better AI.

Good gaming

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Great pics. It is so nice to see troops holding their lines, like real Romans.

I wonder why CA cannot make 1v1 animations WITHOUT troops shifting and flying about insanely. In ETW and NTW, troops fought melee and bayoneted each other without breaking their lines or blobbing. Simply making them hold their positions with animations that don't require flying...could've done the work.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Off-topic
    As the rome II subforum is already crowded and the rome I forum is not, I would suggest the following to a moderator:

Can we please shift this discussion (and another one that just started) about rome I (and also a little bit about rome II) to the rome I subforum to breath some life into it.
    It would be better/reasonable to have it there instead of here. All these nice people talking so well about that rome I here could make the rome I subforum a much more active place.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    Off-topic
    As the rome II subforum is already crowded and the rome I forum is not, I would suggest the following to a moderator:

Can we please shift this discussion (and another one that just started) about rome I (and also a little bit about rome II) to the rome I subforum to breath some life into it.
    It would be better/reasonable to have it there instead of here. All these nice people talking so well about that rome I here could make the rome I subforum a much more active place.
    I disagree. Since far more people read the R2 one, more people are likely to read or comment. Also, the issue in question is more of a reaction to Rome 2 than a specifically R1 debate
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    I disagree. Since far more people read the R2 one, more people are likely to read or comment. Also, the issue in question is more of a reaction to Rome 2 than a specifically R1 debate
    From what I read (and its pretty obvious) it is far more about rome 1. -there are more people here but thats exactly the point. Everyone seems to like rome 1 but still this shifts the attention to the wrong subforum/game. Rome 1 should be the game getting the attention, isnt it?

Off-topic

Problem is, R2 is the successor of R1 and and there's alot of people (see views of this thread) who are comparing the two games.

And this does not sit well with some people for various reasons, especially those who dislike R1 a 10year old game and its mods making R2 look, shall we say, lacking.

The moderators know about this site and I'm assuming they have no problems with it.

Good gaming.
    Last edited by stackero; November 02, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by stackero View Post
    Problem is, R2 is the predecessor of R1 and and there's alot of people (see views of this thread) who are comparing the two games.

And this does not sit well with some people for various reasons, especially those who dislike R1 a 10year game and its mods making R2 look, shall we say, lacking.

The moderators know about this site and I'm assuming they have no problems with it.

Good gaming.
    No, there is no problem with it but it would be good for the rome 1 subforum to have more people there that like and talk about the game. Whats wrong with that?
    I think rome 1 deserves that as many of the people posting here seem to think too! Lets bring rome 1 and its player base back!!

No, there is no problem with it but it would be good for the rome 1 subforum to have more people there that like and talk about the game. Whats wrong with that?
    I think rome 1 deserves that as many of the people posting here seem to think too! Lets bring rome 1 and its player base back!!
    I think you don't understand. TWC fans know where the Rome 1 forums are, but we have a lot of new people coming into the R2 forums seeking info or likely help with that game.

And whether they stay with R2 or not they can compare it to it predecessor Rome 1. If any of them thumb through the pic and vids of this thread, TWC is likely gaining more fans for the good of the whole site.

But I suspect your concern is not for Rome 1's base, but for something else.
    Sorry if I suspect wrongly.

Good gaming.

On the issue of moving the discussion to Rome I: this thread so far was mostly about the comparison which is fine here. I would even say that the highlights Rome I and its mods get here may benefit the Rome I people more than moving this thread there where I think it would slow down a lot. I'm not sure if the posters here would follow the discussion over there. People can always open a thread over there and post a link to it here.

Also, moderators don't read everything all the time. If somebody has a suggestion about moving something, just use the report function and that ensures that several moderators would look into it.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

I think you don't understand. TWC fans know where the Rome 1 forums are, but we have a lot of new people coming into the R2 forums seeking info or likely help with that game.

And whether they stay with R2 or not they can compare it to it predecessor Rome 1. If any of them thumb through the pic and vids of this thread, TWC is likely gaining more fans for the good of the whole site.

But I suspect your concern is not for Rome 1's base, but for something else.
    Sorry if I suspect wrongly.

Good gaming.
    Ah, right I didnt know you are helping the new Rome 2 players here. I somehow missed that. Hope you can help them more with Rome 2 using the Rome 1 information!

Ah, right I didnt know you are helping the new Rome 2 players here. I somehow missed that. Hope you can help them more with Rome 2 using the Rome 1 information!
    Oh no LuciferHawk, your slip is showing, and I have suspected correctly of your true concern.

Plus all I said about new R2 fans is...... excuse me a moment... ah yes, Reason has informed me that logic has no effect on you so I shall leave you to your concern for 'Rome 1's base' and bid you farewell, and good gaming

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Oh no LuciferHawk, your slip is showing, and I have suspected correctly of your true concern.

Plus all I said about new R2 fans is...... excuse me a moment... ah yes, Reason has informed me that logic has no effect on you so I shall leave you to your concern for 'Rome 1's base' and bid you farewell, and good gaming
    Guess you are just smarter than all of us

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Would you mind if I post pics of my latest battles from EB campaign as Rome, Stackero?

Having huge fun with EB and RTR, and redownloading RS2. Meanwhile, I ran Rome II, played a battle or two, started a campaign and within minutes I was bored to death.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Reason Rome 1 better plus mos

A bonus on mixed vids
    Rome Total War -The Battle of Gergovia Part ? RTR or XGM ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_C0t0SBO8wg

Bare Bones Mod -Rome vs Carthage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Nm2...yer_detailpage

"The Fall of Empires" - Rome Total War Cinematic Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcWyS...yer_detailpage

RTR's battle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3RQAFyr8OFc

Greatest Battles of Rome Trailer
    Bare Bones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6jC...yer_detailpage

Rome Total War HD Campaign Battle Commentary on RTR #1 Taking Rome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oOBz_DZIKEg

Should you preorder videogames? Need to see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj...yer_detailpage

General pm me.
    Last edited by stackero; November 04, 2013 at 08:36 PM.