Thread: Romans against cavalry?

Default Romans against cavalry?

I'm playing as Rome on H/H and I just got whooped by a Carthaginian army of mostly cavalry against my balanced army.

I just find countering calvary with triarii very difficult. Does anyone have any tips?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Romans against cavalry?

Yes. Don't just use triarii. Use your equites and triarii in combinatin to hold off/destroy the enemy cavlary whilst your main force defeates their infantry.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I'm playing as the Greeks at the moment, and triarii slaughter my cavalry. So I'd say they are pretty effective.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

yes but he's on about carthaginian cavalry.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

And one anyoing thing about the triarii is that they don't use their spears against cavlary which makes them completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske
    And one anyoing thing about the triarii is that they don't use their spears against cavlary which makes them completely useless.
    Yeah that's actually my main problem, I can't make them use spears against cavalry.

Do alt + click when you charge, they should use spears then.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Okay, I'll try it later because the Carthaginian all-cavalry army got starved out already

I am macedon and find it easy at the moment as i move up italy. Roma is mine.

Alo of money from just athens alone. There's no more greece, numidia or thrace.
    "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why." - Bernard Baruch
    My Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Do alt + click when you charge, they should use spears then.
    Cool, ill have to remember that the next time I use them to pounce on a general in his town center.

How about when defending? Do triarii use their spears if attacked by horses while standing stll, or do I need to watch carefully and counter-charge?

Was it the animations that caused this behavior?

-

The RTw engine just doesn't handle spear and sword units which dont use the phalanx formation very well.
    Creator of:

Ahh, so this is behavior that triarii had even in vanilla? I'll just have to babysit them when horsies are about.

Why not just give triarii phalanx in gold edition?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tzif
    Why not just give triarii phalanx in gold edition?
    Cause that is not how Triarii fought, and it takes away from the Roman fell of the unit.

The Roman feel of putting down their spears and drawing their swords whenever horses draw near?

Quote Originally Posted by Hader
    Cause that is not how Triarii fought, and it takes away from the Roman fell of the unit.
    Ok, but what about something similar to a phalanx, where they all but their spears forward and charge or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Hader
    They fought similar to a phalanx style. At least that is what they said in Wiki
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    When the Principes and Hastati of Republican army were rearmed with javelins, the Triarii retained their long spears and scuta and continued to fight as a phalanx. If the initial attacks of the javelin- and sword- armed troops could not break an enemy, the Triarii served as a strong point around which the army would regroup (in the same manner as in much later centuries squares of musketmen were to provide a defensive screen for reforming cavalrymen). They also were responsible for holding off cavalry charges with their spears.
    Anyways, I successfully beat a Carthaginian army with lots of cavalry using alt+click with my triarii