Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

Default Re: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    You can also use nvidia adaptive Vsync half speed which does the same
    Not really. Adaptive Vsync isn't as flexible as a framerate limiter and it's also only a Nvidia feature.

Arrow2daknee's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: PC Optimisation Guide for Rome II ( Prepare Your PC for Massive Battles! )

My PC don't need this "optimization" thing you are talking about...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Arrow2daknee; September 01, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Outlaw's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    I would reset those. Delete the S2 profile and reset the globals. They are for Kingdoms and not S2. When I had Nvidia I used quite different settings for Shogun 2 than those provided here for Kingdoms. Not sure they are very helpful since Kingdoms was DX9 and S2/Rome 2 are usually DX11.
    I can't find the S2 profile, I did it all on global settings.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi cryo please don't call people to disable following things

Cpu parking
    Edit energy settings
    Disabling index service
    Graphical ui settings
    None of these will improve the speed in gaming and are highly contraproductive!

Uac is the most important invention in Windows for security preventing malware and viruses to access system relevant settings and spread

The power management and core parking does help to save a lot of energy noise and cooling. It will not affect gaming as you are not running a server and will have unconstant load.

The graphics settings disabling forces windows to use software accelerated GUI based on the cpu again while Windows vista, 7 and 8 uses DirectX for the GUI. Which is saving cpu resources and only load VRAM not physical ram unlike to windows XP. Ergo the graphics settings are not only eye candy.

The index search service is vital for the start menu and searching in Windows 8 (8.1) it does not use performance unless the PC is Idle. If you disable it you cannot use the auto complete in the start menu and modern ui search of Windows 8.

Please update your thread ASAP in this particular cases as currently you are misleading a bit, propagating better game or system perfomance, disabling functions that are relevant and essential for Windows and all users. The rest of your OP is very helpful though.

You may use the quoted nvidia settings in the OP.

I've extended my knowledge and even on a laptop they raised shogun2 performance from 21 to 30 fps (gtx675m). Aswell they would do on all games.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Disabling hibernation is also good if you have an SSD, and disabling UAC will let you pass the annoying Virtual Store issues in Windows Vista and Windows 7, BUT NOT in Windows 8, Virtual Store will stil keep making problems. To get pass VirtualStore in Windows 8, you either need to: Edit Security for the main folder of a program / game which has problems with VirtualStore.. or, take Ownership of main folder of the program/game.

VirtualStore mostly causes problems if you want to install a mod of a game which is installed in protected folders like Program Files ( even Steam has these issues sometimes). Then Windows think you are trying to modify original files and doesn't let you do that, even if you perform these action As an ADMINISTRATOR.
    There is a valid reason for this and it is a threat to disable this features!

Some applications that are old cause problems but this does not weight out the solution you need to run them with elevated rights instead of exposing your os.

Same as people do with rooting their smartphones. As a system administrator I just can say first think about consequences before shutting down security based features.

Windows Vista 7 and 8 does not hibernate into a file anymore if you have a modern mainboard that allows suspend to ram. Also disabling this feature does not improve performance as the topic title suggests.

We should focus on real optimisation here and not every world tweaks you read in silly IT magazines. Most of them apply to windows XP and are not useful to cover later OS.

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    A Barbarian
    I fully agree on that Vsync keeps your GPU cool, sure in case of TW games that can be true. However in highly competitive environment e.g. First person Shooter games ( banal example - Battlefield 3 ) you need as much FPS as you need.
    That's an old Myth!
    A human eye medically sees 30 fps as fluid. A monitor with 60Hz displays 30 full screen refreshes per second. Blueray uses 25fps by the watt. A gpu that does 60 fps is refreshing same fast than your monitor displays half screen refreshes (60hz = 60 half screens per second). Technically or better said medically you cannot see a difference between 60 and 120 fps while you can see the difference between 30 and 50 fps (60Hz to 85-100 Hz) with a trained eye!

The Vsync does cap at 60 fps at a 60Hz monitor.
    So there is no lag. Everyone that suggests he can react faster than 60 fps is really kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Not really. Adaptive Vsync isn't as flexible as a framerate limiter and it's also only a Nvidia feature.
    There is a additional option you missed. It limits to the full screen refresh rate of your monitor. So 30fps at 60Hz.
    But you are right currently this seems to be reserved for actual nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by Vağarholmr; September 02, 2013 at 05:21 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Arius's Avatar Libertus

Please, companions:

How great will the game run on a Windows 7 with a AMD Radeon HD 6670, 8.2 GB RAM and Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2,67 GHz?
    "Ingrata patria, ne ossa quidem mea habes"

- Scipio Africanus, Roman General

necronox's Avatar ▬▬ι═══════- -═══════ιι▬

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    Please, companions:

How great will the game run on a Windows 7 with a AMD Radeon HD 6670, 8.2 GB RAM and Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2,67 GHz?
    it should run it. you have enough RAM and i believe the radeon 6670 is good enough (not sure tho, i don't really follow gpu anymore) cpu is borderline tho.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Wrong thread Arius. Please check the hw advice thread or run the benchmarks. Both linked in my signature

Off topic. But rome 2 will need cpu and gpu more equally so unlike to shogun2 and previous TW.
    Last edited by Vağarholmr; September 02, 2013 at 05:21 AM.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

guys? any help?

My 'Shogun 2 has stopped working' right after my battle.

Can you guys have a look at this screenie and tell me maybe something important is unticked?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Looks normal.
    You may deactivate some features but that won't solve your issue.

alQamar
    Hi cryo please don't call people to disable following things

Cpu parking
    Edit energy settings
    Disabling index service
    Graphical ui settings
    None of these will improve the speed in gaming and are highly contraproductive!

Uac is the most important invention in Windows for security preventing malware and viruses to access system relevant settings and spread

The power management and core parking does help to save a lot of energy noise and cooling. It will not affect gaming as you are not running a server and will have unconstant load.

The graphics settings disabling forces windows to use software accelerated GUI based on the cpu again while Windows vista, 7 and 8 uses DirectX for the GUI. Which is saving cpu resources and only load VRAM not physical ram unlike to windows XP. Ergo the graphics settings are not only eye candy.

The index search service is vital for the start menu and searching in Windows 8 (8.1) it does not use performance unless the PC is Idle. If you disable it you cannot use the auto complete in the start menu and modern ui search of Windows 8.

Please update your thread ASAP in this particular cases as currently you are misleading a bit, propagating better game or system perfomance, disabling functions that are relevant and essential for Windows and all users. The rest of your OP is very helpful though.

You may use the quoted nvidia settings in the OP.

I've extended my knowledge and even on a laptop they raised shogun2 performance from 21 to 30 fps (gtx675m). Aswell they would do on all games.
    Cpu parking wasnt touched. Power settings that I recommend is - Balanced mode, it does not tweak that.
    Disabling index service - sure I can add your suggestion regarding windows 8/8.1, however have them disabled on mine and I see no difference what so ever. Except benchmark wise HDD works bit faster.

I have changed that already, people seem to love UAC for no reason what so ever.

This I have never heard/read before. Where did you get this information from?

That's an old Myth!
    A human eye medically sees 30 fps as fluid. A monitor with 60Hz displays 30 full screen refreshes per second. Blueray uses 25fps by the watt. A gpu that does 60 fps is refreshing same fast then your monitor displays half screen refreshes. Technically or better said medically you cannot see a difference between 60 and 120 fps while you can see the difference between 30 and 50 fps (60Hz to 85-100 Hz) with a trained eye!

The Vsync does cap at 60 fps at a 60Hz monitor.
    So there is no lag. Everyone that suggests he can react faster than 60 fps is really kidding.
    Lets not start on this. I always see the difference, the more FPS the more fluid the gameplay is. And human can surely see more then 30 FPS. All depends on the monitor you are using. Currently I have Asus 144hz monitor on which you can see massive difference between 60 fps and e.g. 120 fps.

P.S. Try to squeeze everything into 1 post next time, got a bit lost.

Outlaw

it is Really strange that you expereince CTD. Try starting new campaign, all the things that I have listed ( if you have done correctly ) should not cause anything like that. Try to putting your Nvidia Controll Panel settings back to default and once again, have you Applied LAA patch to Shogun2.exe? As it is not recommended, that is what may cause the issue.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Well finally I read all through your OP. Instead of giving the MOST USEFUL TIP to enable windows update for additional features and drivers which is off by default on all windows os you recommend to disable automatic windows update here at all. May I ask what's your job? Linux administrator?

If you are an expert with Windows you would know that windows update do not download updates when use use you Internet line extensively. This is called bits (background intelligent transfer services)

He is able to estimate your Internet line speed and will only transfer so many packets that other transfers aren't slowed.

Secondly since windows 7 you can set up the restart notify for remind in 4 hours. Windows 8 and 8.1 won't remind at all but will install on reboot or shutdown and only will force install and restart after 3 days. Aslong you have not restarted some (not all) patches don't protect you.

Looks normal.
    You may deactivate some features but that won't solve your issue.
    So then it might be something else? maybe nvidia control panel? but I reset that to factory..

Outlaw

it is Really strange that you expereince CTD. Try starting new campaign, all the things that I have listed ( if you have done correctly ) should not cause anything like that. Try to putting your Nvidia Controll Panel settings back to default and once again, have you Applied LAA patch to Shogun2.exe? As it is not recommended, that is what may cause the issue.
    What is the LAA patch?

I did start a new campaign and also cutom and historical battle. Once the battle is over, it CTD's.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

alQamar

Cpu parking wasnt touched. Power settings that I recommend is - Balanced mode, it does not tweak that.
    Disabling index service - sure I can add your suggestion regarding windows 8/8.1, however have them disabled on mine and I see no difference what so ever. Except benchmark wise HDD works bit faster.
    That may be lucky. Index stops as soon a different process claims the ssd /hdd

I have changed that already, people seem to love UAC for no reason what so ever.
    They don't have to love it. I knew from daily work how many complaint there were about it on introduce and true vista UAC made even me nervous.
    But it is more than love but the best security thing aside a scanner.
    This I have never heard/read before. Where did you get this information from?
    Microsoft

Lets not start on this. I always see the difference, the more FPS the more fluid the gameplay is. And human can surely see more then 30 FPS. All depends on the monitor you are using. Currently I have Asus 144hz monitor on which you can see massive difference between 60 fps and e.g. 120 fps.
    144Hz = 72 fps it may look more fluid but you cannot see more than 50 fps for sure.
    P.S. Try to squeeze everything into 1 post next time, got a bit lost.
    Sorry for the inconvenience I read thorough this thread and replied. It was dirty but no one reads a wall of text though.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 01, 2013 at 08:45 PM.

alQamar
    Or once a day in the evening you can click - Check for updates

Outlaw
    LAA is Large Address Aware a tool that I have posted in the guide, that may cause such bugs if you have applied it to the Shogun2.exe as it does need it. It is made for older games.

Try to start new campaign and see if it happens. Maybe it's not tweak related at all. Check integrity of your game in steam. Maybe something got deleted randomly. All those tweaks listed in OP are system related, not game related. The only game related thing there is - Nvidia Control Panel. Reset both game and general settings back to default.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

People don't do this cryo. When I process 100 computers perhaps 15 will have all updates.

So 85% are a threat for their own their home network and even the whole windows community. What do you think why we have so many global working botnets and virus infections? A virus scanner cannot protect you to close open leaks the malicious code will be executed bypass the OS and virus scanners.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 01, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

People don't do this cryo. When I process 100 computers perhaps 15 will have all updates.
    Well that is why I am writing this guide. I do not write " You HAVE to do this! ", no, everything is optional. However you have to agree that manual update is the best option for people that Don't forget.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Yes but if you have a usual user and he reads a headline like this he is believing it may help at all.

They cannot understand and don't have to. They are users no experts. So your advice cause more problems than they use.

Disabling windows update will not affect performance on Windows 7 and 8. I don't agree this is the best option. The best option is the Microsoft best practice setting so auto and additional one time enable the obtain of additional windows updates too.
    Last edited by alQamar; September 01, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

I started a new campaign, it seems to be working fine again

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

Moved to the spit shining new Tech forum!
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

NICE! +rep
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast