• I am happy with Rome 2

55 36.91%
  • I am not happy with Rome 2

94 63.09%
Page 7 of 192 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Complaint Thread

Default Re: Official TW: Rome II Complaint Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    well your arguement is tosh because where is the evidence? at least i havent seen any..

and btw history in itself is completey subjective down to it's very core..you should know this...
    Completely subjective, Who lost world war 2?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Cell7's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Testudo fix

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    This is an extremely important issue for me ...
    The testudo portrayed so far by the game and I coudl see in pictures seems to be just a shieldrising over the heads and not a proper well formed testudo ....
    Well to be fair, before Mr. Bickham completely destroys his army he does show the unit special ability function and specifically the Testudo in 24 minutes into the video

http://youtu.be/wczfs-V278E?t=24m

Primicerius

well your arguement is tosh because where is the evidence? at least i havent seen any..

and btw history in itself is completey subjective down to it's very core..you should know this...
    Okay, another scenario, then. At one time, KLA and Jack Lusted were arguing about helmets. Jack supplies a picture of an archeological find that he and his team based their helmet model off of as evidence. KLA continues arguing with Jack which is kind of stupid.

By history I should have said archeological evidence which is not as subjective as the written record. As for the written record both sides of an argument could slug it out for a long time and neither would gain anything because they can't prove which one is more accurate. They can only theorize.

Cell7's Avatar Libertus

This is an extremely important issue for me ...
    The testudo portrayed so far by the game and I coudl see in pictures seems to be just a shieldrising over the heads and not a proper well formed testudo ....
    Well to be fair, before Mr. Bickham completely destroys his army he does show the unit special ability function and specifically the Testudo in 24 minutes into the video, and it doesnt look like it did during the Teutonburg Forest gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    Completely subjective, Who lost world war 2?
    what planet do you live on sorry? what we were talking about werent facts.

ipso facto they can be subjective. want me to spell it out any more?

frankly i find some of this rather disturbing in it's crapness.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Now you kids run along and go play in that "official" complaint thread.

what planet do you live on sorry? what we were talking about werent facts.

ipso facto they can be subjective. want me to spell it out any more?

frankly i find some of this rather disturbing in it's crapness.
    You said "history is completely subjective" LOL
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Not sure if anybody posted this yet but, you can clearly get a good look and feel of the Testudo formation at the 24:00 mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczfs-V278E

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Yes, I did receive a warning from the moderator for criticizing CA yesterday. It seems to be one of their shady plans to mute us.

But merging it all into one blob, even constructive posts and legitimate concerns, makes NO sense at all.
    Depends on how you word your posts. This thread is not an attempt to mute people but an attempt to categorize a lot of threads. There are too many threads talking about essentially the same "faults" in the game.

It's kind of like CA's official TW forums where most rants (and that's what they are) end up in the rants/raves section and people start shouting about how they're being censured. In reality, there is a lot of good discussion happening on the official TW forums. Both on the positive and negative sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Cell7 View Post
    Well to be fair, before Mr. Bickham completely destroys his army he does show the unit special ability function and specifically the Testudo in 24 minutes into the video

Absolutely horrible and wrongly performed ... the testudo in RTW Was much better I wonder why they just didn't copy the same instead of that poor version wich looks absolutely not like a roman testudo ... no interlocked shields no side coverage , nothing at all !

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Dan113112 View Post
    There are too many threads talking about essentially the same "faults" in the game.
    So merge the threads that are talking about the same faults in the game. This thread was definitely not created because people are starting multiple threads about the same issues. It was created to herd criticism into a space where it can easily be contained and ignored.
    Last edited by Huberto; August 01, 2013 at 09:23 PM.

How is he trolling? He's stating a fact. History is not completely subjective. Only certain aspects of it are.
    all life and vis-a-vis history is subjective. technically.

but as i said this is quite cleary trolling...

or splitting hairs.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; August 01, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Primicerius

Absolutely horrible and wrongly performed ... the testudo in RTW Was much better I wonder why they just didn't copy the same instead of that poor version wich looks absolutely not like a roman testudo ... no interlocked shields no side coverage , nothing at all !
    Is it documented that they used side coverage? [Edit: Yes, Cassius Dio] By the way, in RTW the testudo had similar flaws. From Wikipedia but what the hell:

Plutarch describes this formation as used by Mark Antony during his invasion of Parthia in 36 BC:

"Then the shield-bearers wheeled round and enclosed the light-armed troops within their ranks, dropped down to one knee, and held their shields out as a defensive barrier. The men behind them held their shields over the heads of the first rank, while the third rank did the same for the second rank. The resulting shape, which is a remarkable sight, looks very like a roof, and is the surest protection against arrows, which just glance off it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Testudo_formation.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    So merge the threads that are talking about the same thing. That is not what this thread is about.
    Then what is this thread about? Judging by the title it is the complaint/criticism thread. So, all of those kinds of posts/threads go here.
    Last edited by Dan113112; August 01, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

That seems like another one of those random shield risings. I refuse to believe Testudo can look that horrible.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Is it documented that they used side coverage? By the way, in RTW the testudo had similar flaws. From Wikipedia but what the hell:

Plutarch describes this formation as used by Mark Antony during his invasion of Parthia in 36 BC:

Yes it is and this shows pretty clearly that they are attacking , in close interlocked shield formations with side covered as well that is why its called a testudo , the one we see in the video is not even close by a long shot .

Its just the men using the same rise shield animation , they do not interlock shields , they keel parge gaps between them , the front ones are not even covering their heads, not protected at all and the sides are totally open ... Thats not a TESTUDO!

thats is a ... shield rise formation? I dunnno how to call but its not the Iconic Roman Testudo !!!!

that is how is beeing performed on the move by a group of reenactors , all sides covered ...

CA shoudl change it ASap!.

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

ISG01's Avatar Miles

The ones in the in-game footage are Hastati, that's the least experienced pre-Marian proto-legion infantry unit in TW:R2 I think. Perhaps a legionary cohort's testudo is better and of a higher standard?
    'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Maybe it's the time frame? Maybe early Roman Hastati (in the game) don't properly use the testudo the right way?
    Maybe you have to train your Legions how to properly form the testudo? I'm going on a limb here I know, but now that we can train are units in other forms tatics. Maybe this is one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggnis View Post
    Maybe it's the time frame? Maybe early Roman Hastati (in the game) don't properly use the testudo the right way?
    Maybe you have to train your Legions how to properly form the testudo? I'm going on a limb here I know, but now that we can train are units in other forms tatics. Maybe this is one of them?
    Anhd may be it's still PreAlpha? ,some other justifications?

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

ISG01's Avatar Miles

Anhd may be it's still PreAlpha? ,some other justifications?
    It's definitely late Beta, but it has turned out that pre-Alpha comment was quite valid for a lot of issues, so I do not know why you mock it now. Also, consider the way how in E:TW the types of marching of the line infantry or the use of bayonets evolved with research, I could see the quality of the testudo increase in a similar fashion.
    'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.' - J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm not justifying anything. I agree, it looks like crap. We wont really know until we play the game, or a dev replies to your post.