Hey there TWC!! I came up with an idea today for a story that I decided I should try to write down and see what I can do with it. My problem is that I have about zero experience when it comes to writing creatively and haven't done something like this since about 8 years ago in high school english class (the story which I copied almost verbatim from a game I had been playing). I am looking for some tips on how I can set up a good base for the characters and backstory so that I can stay consistent.

I am also fairly clueless with regards to this sub-forum, as this is the first time I have been here. So if there happens to be a good guide for people like me which I have no idea about, or there is a good sub-sub-forum for me to go look at then by all means post a link and I will check it out.

Some extra info about my idea in case it affects what works well and what doesn't:
- This would be a fantasy type story. My main influences at the moment are the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the internet MMO Runescape.
- As I picture it now I am planning on the main storyline to be an underground resistance type, but I would like to perhaps write other storylines for places further off that could connect with it.
- I was looking on Google images for completely blank fantasy maps that I could put my story into, should I try to make my own map or is finding one that works for me good enough?
- I really enjoy lore and history of other fantasy worlds like in SOIAF and Runescape, so is it wise to write up histories for this world so I'm not contradicting myself later on and I don't forget things?