Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to split a region

Default Re: How to split a region

Connectivity errors found - open scratchconnect_low.tga and scratchconnect_high.tga (in the exe's working directory) to see

t:\branches\shogun2\modders\common\tooldatabuilder\source\CampaignMapData/CampaignRegions.cpp(908) : TOOLDATABUILDER::REGIONS::build_connectivity

CONNECTIVITY ERRORS... and how to deal with them.

If there have been earlier errors or warnings related to clipping, resolve these.
    Make sure that edges in the inaccessible areas - the shapes formed by merging the mountains and the inaccessible ground types - always intersect properly with region edges.
    Ie, the intersection point must be between the two end points, not at a vertex - so they should not cross at a vertex, or share a vertex.
    If this doesn't solve it, the next likely issue is that you have a region with a hole, and an inaccessible area (mountain/ground type) overlapping it.
    The clipping code does not handle holes - the internal outlines are not clipped.
    Assuming the hole is a lake or similar, then it's a no-go area already. There are two ways to deal with it.
    If the mountain is entirely within a region, you can extend the mountain to include the lake (and remove the lake from the regions layer).
    Alternatively you can burn the whole mountain and lake into the regions layer as nogo_land.
    If the mountain extends over a region boundary, you can cheat and extend the lake to that boundary, even along a thin sliver.
    This would mean cutting a very simple thing into the map and still having the mountain layer used.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Is there any known reason why my 3DS Max 2010 will not open the GEM or BOS campaign maps but it will open the normal Shogun map?

Here are the messages I get when I try to open it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	329269

It must be a problem with my 3DS Max 2010, I have the 2014 version and the BOS and Gem maps open fine with that one...

Any ideas?

EDIT:

So I think it is ok to use the Rome 2 assembly kit CS2 exporter with 3DS MAX 2014 version which was causing the issues.

I have come up with a new problem though...

Name:	Problem.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	329285

Everything works fine up until the point where I am going to select the colour of the Polygons, my new region doesn't show up on the list, even though (on the left of the pic) it is in the materials tab ?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Malcolm; September 02, 2015 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Is there any known reason why my 3DS Max 2010 will not open the GEM or BOS campaign maps but it will open the normal Shogun map?

Here are the messages I get when I try to open it...

Views:	10 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	329269

It must be a problem with my 3DS Max 2010, I have the 2014 version and the BOS and Gem maps open fine with that one...

Any ideas?

EDIT:

So I think it is ok to use the Rome 2 assembly kit CS2 exporter with 3DS MAX 2014 version which was causing the issues.

I have come up with a new problem though...

Name:	Problem.png 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	329285

Everything works fine up until the point where I am going to select the colour of the Polygons, my new region doesn't show up on the list, even though (on the left of the pic) it is in the materials tab ?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    You need to select the entire regions.cs2 and apply the material to it. The button on the material editor you need to press is the one showing an arrow going from a sphere to a cube.

Below is a guide:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/setup-...asily-3ds-max/
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    You need to select the entire regions.cs2 and apply the material to it. The button on the material editor you need to press is the one showing an arrow going from a sphere to a cube.

Below is a guide:

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/setup-...asily-3ds-max/
    Thanks for the help Uanime5 but I am still having trouble and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I have everything set up for the new material, then select the apply material to selection button.

Name:	1.png 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	329295

But then what happens is not what I thought would happen...

Views:	7 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	329296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	329297

All of the material ID's have disappeared as well.

UPDATE: I got the colour on the map to change but the material ID's are still "no name"?

Name:	4.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	329298

I'm sure this is something really simple I have missed but I have been watching so many tutorials and searching for what I have done wrong and I can't get it. Literally just wasted 3hrs trying to figure it out, now have to go to work !!

Any help?
    Last edited by Malcolm; September 03, 2015 at 04:30 AM.

You should watch this tutorial more carefully

After you select the Polygon of your new region, you are not going to select the color of the Polygon, you should enter the ID of your new region in the "Polygon:Material IDs" "Set ID:" box
    Last edited by ScarletFrog; September 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Thanks ScarletFrog but I am literally following the tutorial to the letter. I am starting to think that 3DS Max 2014 does something differently that I am not figuring out. Anyway, I will try again until work today for a while.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I am still having problems with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Thanks for the help Uanime5 but I am still having trouble and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I have everything set up for the new material, then select the apply material to selection button.

Name:	1.png 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	329295

But then what happens is not what I thought would happen...

Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	329296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	329297

All of the material ID's have disappeared as well.

UPDATE: I got the colour on the map to change but the material ID's are still "no name"?

Name:	4.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	329298

I'm sure this is something really simple I have missed but I have been watching so many tutorials and searching for what I have done wrong and I can't get it. Literally just wasted 3hrs trying to figure it out, now have to go to work !!

Any help?
    Can anyone help? I have followed the tutorial word for word and I have also tried using the "Assign Material to Selection" button in the Material Editor but I have no luck. Depending one what I do, the colour of the region either turns black or white. When it does turn the right colour, all of the names in the "Polygon: Material ID's" have changed to "no name" with their number next to them...

Would love some help here, I am using 3DS MAX 2014 and trying to mod the boshin map.

Post your step by step screenshots with a step by step description of which button you have clicked from page 1 tutorial step
    7) Select the modify tab and use the "cut" tool on the region you wish to split into two regions. In this example I split the Hyuga region.

to tutorial step
    9) In the "Polygon:Material IDs" "Set ID:" box enter the ID of your new region (210 in this example). This will assign these polygons to your new region. If done correctly these polygons will change to the colour of your new region.

I'll have a look.

Sorry for grammar errors, English is not my native language

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Thanks ScarletFrog. Here is what I am doing...

I'll just show you the material set up...
    The new material I have added is called Toso

Name:	Material Set Up 2.png 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	329409

Then step 7...

Name:	Cutting region 1.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	329411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutting region 2.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	329412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutting region 3.png 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	329413

I have then split the Tosa region into two. You can see in the third pic the new region polygons selected

Step 8. I then type into the "Set ID" part of Polygon: Material Selection "210"...

Name:	Set ID 1.png 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	329414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Set ID 2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	329415
    As you can see in the second pic, there is no name in the "Polygon: Material IDs"

Here is a closer look at this:

Name:	New Region 1.png 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	329418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Region 2.png 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	329419

When I try to use the "Assign Material to Selection" button in the Material Editor, the correct colour appears for the region, but the name is not correct. It shows up as "No Name - (210)

Name:	Assign Material to Selection.png 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	329416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Assign Material to Selection 2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	329417

I am not sure hat else to try? I really hope I have forgotten something really stupid .

Any ideas?

You have done something wrong between page 1 tutorial step 3) to 6) , most likely.

Edit:Just noticed Tosa is 296, 210 may be an already used vanilla ID. How do you get the Material ID "210" ? You shouldn't manually change the Material ID to a smaller number in page 1 tutorial step 4).
    Last edited by ScarletFrog; September 08, 2015 at 03:02 AM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletFrog View Post
    You have done something wrong between page 1 tutorial step 3) to 6) , most likely.

Edit:Just noticed Tosa is 296, 210 may be an already used vanilla ID. How do you get the Material ID "210" ? You shouldn't manually change the Material ID to a smaller number in page 1 tutorial step 4).
    I am following the instructions word-for-word in steps 3-6.

I put the number 210 in there because there wasn't anything with the number 210 there already. I have tried a few different numbers and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

In the pic below you can see that even though I have added the new material, it doesn't appear in "Polygon: Material IDs".

In this case I have typed "210" into the "set ID" part. The region itself just went black and this is what it says in the "Polygon: Material ID's"

Name:	Pic 2.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	329617

I am so determined to get this working! I can't download anything earlier than 3DS Max 2013 so it's not as though I can sort it out that way. I am really hoping there is just something simple that I have missed!

Thanks for your help so far though ScarletFrog.

EDIT: Just a thought, does it matter if the "Polygons: Material ID's" change to no-name?
    Last edited by Malcolm; September 11, 2015 at 09:53 AM.

Perhaps, you'd better use the vanilla max file to restart from the beginning.

Your problem can only be caused by some actions which is not suggested in the page 1 tutorial. If you had followed the tutorial word-for-word, there would not be such a problem.

Try some easier task to practice, like crop one piece land from one region then add it to a neighbor.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Solanum View Post
    Perhaps, you'd better use the vanilla max file to restart from the beginning.
    What do you mean Solanum?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletFrog View Post
    Your problem can only be caused by some actions which is not suggested in the page 1 tutorial. If you had followed the tutorial word-for-word, there would not be such a problem.

Try some easier task to practice, like crop one piece land from one region then add it to a neighbor.
    I am able to give one piece of land to another region. You can see this below in the spoiler tags.

First thing I do is cut a section from one region. In this case, I cut Tosa in half...

Name:	1 Cut Region.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	329642

Then I selected the part of Tosa that I wanted to give to another region, in this case Iyo...

Name:	2 Select Region.png 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	329643

So I changed the "Set ID" number to 186 (the number of Iyo)...

Name:	3 Attribute Region.png 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	329644

And this works fine, the colour of the area of Tosa I had selected becomes the same as Iyo...

Name:	4 New Region.png 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	329645

And in the "Polygon: Material ID" the region is correct...

Name:	5 Polygon ID.png 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	329646

But when I have added my own material to be a new region, this comes up with "no name - (210)".

One thing I have found out is this: in the material editor, there are two groups of materials I can edit. One is the "Japan Regions" that Uanime5 edits in his tutorial...

Name:	6 Japan Regions.png 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	329647

The other is just called "Regions"...

Name:	7 Regions.png 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	329648

This second one is what I am editing when I changed the region ownership from Tosa to Iyo in the example above. I have tried adding my new material to both groups and have not had success with either.

The problem seems to be that when I add my new material, it is not being saved or recognised by 3DS Max. Why would this happen?

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

So the closest I can get to figuring this problem out is this link here:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main...8-cc425beddc3f

The problem however is that when you try to apply the material group to the map it does not fill all of the regions.

In order to try to move forward I decided what I would do is try to relocate an existing region instead. In time I would then surely be able to simply rename the region once it is in a new place.

This method was going pretty well but I have come across the issue of the rigid spline converter... I can't find it. I see the tutorial at the link Uanime5 gave:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...line-converter

I can't actual find the download though...?

It is possible that I am tired having been staring at the PC screen all day but if someone could point in the .rar files location I would much appreciate it.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Thanks for that ScarletFrog!

I am getting an issue with the Rigid Spline Converter, managed to get a screen grab of it running but no .txt files appear.

Name:	Python Problem.png 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	329825

The System Variables part is all done, but still no .txt files.

Name:	System Variables.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	329826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edit System Variables.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	329827

Any ideas what I have done wrong here?

Read the Rigid spline converter tutorial .

Copy the rigid_splines files belonging to the region you split from the "working_data\campaign_maps\[campaign]\display\Borders" folder (replace [campaign] with the name of this campaign) to the Rigid Spline Converter folder.

Run "text.bat" to convert all .rigid_spline files to text files.

Before you create new .rigid_spline files, test your modified map in the game first. Modified map not always working, it is possible you have to redo the change.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

So I think I might have solved the issue I was having with the materials.

Here is a quick video showing how I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ie2...ature=youtu.be

So it turns out that putting the new region in the "Japan_Regions" material wasn't working? I assume this is just because it is the Fall of the Samurai Map and not the Shogun map that I am editing ? Does anyone think this will cause any issues doing it this way?

Thanks for helping out so far. I will manage to edit this map eventually!