View Poll Results: Would you guys like to see this?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please. Written form.

191 61.02%
  • Yes please. YouTube form.

74 23.64%
  • No thanks/don't really mind.

48 15.34%
Page 180 of 182 FirstFirst ... 80130155170171172173174175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 3621

Thread: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Build a PC for Rome 2 / Hardware Recommendations and Advice Thread

Hi Joe I think there are better options to this card. As your PSU is capable to support even a 970 GTX, you better save your money and buy something like a used 670 (about 100-150 €)
    or even try to get 760 at least.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Hi Joe I think there are better options to this card. As your PSU is capable to support even a 970 GTX, you better save your money and buy something like a used 670 (about 100-150 €)
    or even try to get 760 at least.
    Thanks, alQamar - I'll opt for a better card.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

You are welcome Doe, and I am happy I was able to help you! Good luck!
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Thank you everyone. So I have now my new computer following your advice with a few changes here and there. I am wondering though what should I do so everything beside windows files are moved/installed on my hdd. I fear that installing every programs on my hdd won't take the like of AppData or ProgramData out of my SSD. And what about my pictures folder or others users folders ?

Sorry to sound this noob. I have never used a SSD before.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; December 30, 2014 at 01:19 PM.

I'm not a hardware nerd but maybe swap the 770 for a 970. Just did an upgrade and performance is better for the same price and lower power consumption.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Thank you everyone. So I have now my new computer following your advice with a few changes here and there. I am wondering though what should I do so everything beside windows files are moved/installed on my hdd. I fear that installing every programs on my hdd won't take the like of AppData or ProgramData out of my SSD. And what about my pictures folder or others users folders ?

Sorry to sound this noob. I have never used a SSD before.
    The one thing that is absolutely required to be on your SSD to reap the most benefit would be your Operating System (Windows most likely).

The only other applications I'd load on the SSD would be your most essential software. i.e. programs that you use every time you boot up. For me, that's my browser (Google Chrome), device drivers, Photoshop, and Steam. After that, I'll start loading my favorite games. So far I've only loaded R2TW on my SSD, but the load times were cut by over half as a result.

Everything else: pictures, music, movies, downloaded files, etc., are housed on my high capacity platter HDD, a 2TB in my case. I don't need SSD speeds to store these files, so I'm not going to waste my precious SSD space on this stuff either.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    I'm not a hardware nerd but maybe swap the 770 for a 970. Just did an upgrade and performance is better for the same price and lower power consumption.
    this is not desireable at all. The performance gain is not that superior, neither the power consumption change will compensate any expenses. If you have a 770 keep it and wait for future cards, imho
    I fear that installing every programs on my hdd won't take the like of AppData or ProgramData out of my SSD.
    This is actually correct Anna. It is not designed to redirect these folders to other drives while you could technically do it using hardlinks, that said those folders are already hardlinks for compatibility reasons so I do not recommend even testing it, as it can lead to broken Windows because of a directory link loop (similar to a network loop, but there is no spanning tree in place in Windows)
    And what about my pictures folder or others users folders ?
    if you right-click on the folders like Documents, Pictures etc under "Properties > Location" you can change the hardlink for these folders. This way all files of these folders will be redirected to the new folder. Optionally you may also want to choose to move them to the different drive. It is not recommended to use network drives for this action. It is also not recommended to replace the Desktop for some reasons I don't want to go into.

Cheers and happy New Year everyone!

I decided to preorder Attila today, against all odds, but this way I want to ensure that we can setup a new thread for Attila. I suppose you Splenyi you are doing a copy of the OP and posting it in the Attila subforums.

Then we can also use the new thread to handle all the new hardware stuff around and link the R2 OP to the Attila one. This way we you could also save the time to update and maintain both threads.

I suspect that the requirements and things discussed here are very common to Attila, but I was also wrong in term of that when Rome 2 was released and I liberately used Shogun 2 as a measure. This was a mistake back then, no one expected I assume.
    Last edited by alQamar; January 03, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

The new hardware thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?678089 for Attila TW. Come here for advice from now on
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

+1 I will join, thanks for the notification and your work man!

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Wow, we pulled in a total of 3,588 posts on this thread (as of posting), and an amazing 207,123 views! I think we done pretty well
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

yes well done, and also a big thanks out to all the other contributors in this thread!

180 pages are also a lot, not that much as the Rome 2 complaint thread for good reason but really a great and continued effort.

I think I can remember that I have proposed at least 12 complete new computers, which most of the proposals have been also adopted and bought.
    Based on the feedback, people were or are still quite happy with their new PC and laptops

This way I meet virtually new people across the globe, party helping them to setup their Windows quite perfectly. Some I can recall where from Finland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Turkey
    Last edited by alQamar; January 23, 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Default Help With Graphics Card

Hello! I'm looking to get a graphics card for my PC. I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to computer graphics so all help is appreciated. I want to be able to run TW in atleast high setting with no lag so I'm not looking for the best graphic cards on the market. I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 if I can help it. I found EVGA GeForce GT 740 Superclocked Single Slot 4GB DDR3 Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2744-KR and was wondering if this would suit my needs. If you need to know more information about my system just ask. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks for the help in advance!

Default Re: Help With Graphics Card

Probably want to look at something like the 750ti if you're in the $150 price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

The graphics card you selected is very bad. It is a card used for home theater systems. Please tell us what resolution you are playing on and we can give you more informed recommendations. If you are playing at the resolution of 1366X768 or lower, I can tell you that an AMD R7 260X for $110 will be plenty to max out at 40+fps. You can also get some free games with it if you get a Never Settle Forever Key with it. Also mention your CPU, it helps to know

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

list the wattage of you psu. get 270 or 270x amd if your psu got enough juice, way better than 750 ti crap by nvidia. if your psu can handle 280x and you don't mind 2nd hand 280x, you can get one for 100 to 120$ usa only though. 280x can almost max rome 2 in 1080p if you got a good cpu to go with it.
    Last edited by craziii; January 31, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

I have a 460 watt power supply. Is that good enough or no?

My computer is Dell XPS 8300 with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80 GHz. RAM: 6.00 GB and a 64 bit OS
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 01, 2015 at 04:07 AM. Reason: dp/merged

shogon's Avatar Civis

It seems like you are running an OEM power supply, and given the wattage you -might- be able to use a 270. Honestly though idk.. if you had a PSU (power supply) that wasn't some OEM unit I'd feel a little safer. You have to make sure you have 2 6 pin power connectors available for the r9 270X, and a single 6 pin for the r9 270. The benefit of the 750ti is you do not need a 6 pin, as it receives power from the PCI express slot (which is perfect for OEM PC's with weak power supplies). It does have it's weak points, but I've owned one and it is alright for anything under 1080p, you won't get high settings though unless you play at like 720p or something. The 260/260X may be better because of power constraints. But what resolution do you play at?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,8.html
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

I play at 1280x1024

Then an GTX 750Ti without pin connectors if you are using the same PSU or an R7 260X / 265 / R9 270 if your PSU has the necessary 6-pin connectors or if you will upgrade your PSU. Your CPU and RAM seems very adept to run R2, so no sweat there.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

if you live in the usa, can buy a used 280x for 120$ or so(ebay, reddit, hardware forums etc), use the money saved to buy a 500 watt to 700 watt brand name psu voila.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii