Thread: Increacing map scale

Default Increacing map scale

How do you simply increace the scale of a map? Its all I want to do, perhaps quadrouple the area of it, is it as simple as doubling the size of all the map files, or is there more to it?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Increacing map scale

Definitely more to it then that. Remember the size limitations of the map, the fact that if settlements are more than 50 tiles apart the ai will screw up, all the characters and armies will need to be moved, and the rescources on the map. Theres more you'll need to do i think.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

If I were to say double the dimentions, so that there is a quadroupled area, should it not be as easy as doubling all the locations? And as long as I don't increace too much the tile limit shouldn't be reached

There's some minor tga ammendment problems in increasing map scale in that you have to reduce city and port pixels in map_regions back down to 1 pixel squares (you'll need to change co-ordinates for all armies and resources etc. in descr_strat too) and unless you remove rivers you'll need to reduce river width in map_features back to 1 pixel , ensuring you don't have any 2 pixel square blocks in them where they change direction as that will CTD.

Also depending on what map you're starting with you may get a crash caused by having too large a sea area when you increase map size - see:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=66332
    for some rather incomplete research on that - basically larger / simple sea shapes tend to cause CTD - and that gets proportionately worse the larger the size of the map.tga's.

Oh and remember to change the size of the map listed in descr_terrain.txt
    - and there's a limit to height of radar_maps as that can cause crash as well, leaving old ones in shouldn't hurt though.

I'm not thinking of increacing any further then war map or SPQR, in fact, probably less then that, so the restricitons shouldn't be a problem, so list to do.

Increace all map files by the same proporsion
    Increace character/army/resorce by the same amount
    Reduce cities ports and rivers back to 1 pixel
    Change size of map in descr_terrain.txt

That seem right?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by silver guard
    I'm not thinking of increacing any further then war map or SPQR, in fact, probably less then that, so the restricitons shouldn't be a problem, so list to do.

Increace all map files by the same proporsion
    Increace character/army/resorce by the same amount
    Reduce cities ports and rivers back to 1 pixel
    Change size of map in descr_terrain.txt

That seem right?
    Also consider the relative size requirement of the map images:

- dimensions of the regions, features and trade routes maps are the same
    - height, climate and Ground type map: 2*(that of the regions, features and trade route maps) +1.
    - roughness map: 2*(that of the regions, features and trade route maps)

when resampling, always use "nearest neighbour" lest the colour codes get messed up
    Last edited by Muizer; August 14, 2006 at 06:16 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -