Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Icon4 FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (early 4th century Late Roman mod)

FALL OF ROME: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (or FOR: IHSV) is a mod set in the late Roman period. It will focus on the fall of the Tetrarchy which was created by emperor Diocletian. The mod will start in 308 AD (or 24 Anno Diocletiani) and the Roman empire is ruled by no less than six (!) Roman emperors: Constantine in the West, Maxentius in Italy and Spain, Alexander in Africa, Licinius in the Danubian provinces, the sick Galerius in Anatolia and Maximinus Daia in the East. The goal is to unite the Roman empire under one Roman authority, fend off the Germanic tribes in the north and defeat the Sassanid Persian empire in the east (as is the tradition of a true and worthy Roman emperor).

Map of the period in question:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

FACTIONS (NEW)

1) Constantinus Augustus
    2) Maxentius Augustus
    3) Licinius Augustus
    4) Galerius Augustus
    5) Maximinus Daia Augustus
    6) Alexander Augustus
    7) Roman Rebels
    8) -
    9) -
    10) Goidels / Gaels
    11) Kwritani / Picts
    12) Frankans / Franks
    13) Sahsans / Saxons
    14) Rugans /Rugians
    15) Langbardans / Lombards
    16) Burgundans / Burgundians
    17) Alamans / Alamanni
    18) -
    19) Markmans / Marcomanni
    20) Wandalans / Vandals
    21) Wendowie / Venedi
    22) Visigutans / Visigoths
    23) Austragutans / Ostrogoths
    24) Minor Factions (Rebels)
    25) Alanta / Alans
    26) Huna / Huns
    27) Hayk / Armenia
    28) Eranshahr / Sassanid Empire
    29) al-Lakhmiyyun / Lakhmids
    30) al-Ghasasinah / Ghassanids
    31) Imazighen / Berbers

MAP

RELIGIONS

- Roman
    - Germanic
    - Celtic
    - Slavic
    - Steppe
    - Persian
    - Armenian
    - Arab
    - Berber
    - Other

In this mod the different religions will represent the different ethnicities and cultures. Within certain regions it’s possible to build barbarian settlements from which auxiliary troops can be recruited. However, these barbarian settlements will also convert the region to that barbarian culture which will cause cultural/ethnic tension and ultimately local rebellions as the culture/ethnicity grows bigger in a region.

INTENTIONS CONCERNING THIS MOD

My intention is not to make a campaign in which conquering the map is easy, or even possible. The Roman empire should not be able to expand beyond its borders that easily (or not at all). Conquering foreign territory with a different (culture/religion) will result in low public order and ultimately rebellion. Also building options outside the empire’s borders (with a few exceptions concerning previously lost and evacuated territory) will be severely limited.
    Additionally I'd like to implement permanent rebellions that make defeated factions re-emerge when a province is rebelling, which would make conquering Germanic factions possible, but tedious and not really worth the effort because they would constantly re-emerge.
    I also aim to make use of the so-called "Kalmar Union" script for the Roman factions. This way the Roman factions don't need to conquer every tiny province in order to defeat their Roman rivals. Taking the capital and killing the faction leader should be enough.
    Jihads are planned to be used by the Germanic tribes and used as invasions/raiding parties to allow their characters earn their reputation and respect as a “true and noble” warrior.

ON SO-CALLED "HISTORICAL ACCURACY"

Historical accuracy cannot (and can never) be achieved. Many things dealing with the period are open for debate/discussion and speculation and many things are impossible to implement into M2TW without doing history a degree of harm. Instead the mod will include visions and perspectives with both historical plausibility and gameplay in mind. I don't aim to include many scripts that result in a linear and predictable campaign (besides the cases that involve obvious cause-consequence relations). Instead this mod tries to recreate some of the ambiance of the 4th century and leave the player to do what he wants to do within plausible limits. This could also mean a totally different army structure: will you depend on Germanic auxiliaries or will you stick to old traditions and focus on Roman legions. Will you form central field armies or will you focus on the frontier defenses instead? Will you disband the Praetorian Guard and destroy the Castra Praetoria in Rome or will you keep them and face the consequences (both positive AND negative)? Therefore the title of this mod: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES, in this sign you will conquer. But what 'sign' will it be? Will you stand for reform and try to cure the empire from the evils of the old and corrupt Roman traditions and even embrace Christianity, or will you fight for the return and preservation of the old Roman traditions and the Roman gods.

Hopefully all this will make an interesting and challenging gameplay experience without too many restrictions as well as offering an insight into one of the most interesting periods in Roman history.

!!! LOOKING FOR A MAPPER !!!

I'm looking for a decent and experienced mapper who knows his stuff concerning mapping and has eyes for detail. There's already a basic map ready, but it's still crude and naked and needs to be filled with ground types. You only need to worry about the terrain types.
    So if you think you have what it takes to work on a map like that, don't hesitate and send me a message and some reference work.
    Last edited by Razor; August 05, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (FOR-IHSV)

UNSORTED PICS:

INGAME:

BATTLE PICS (WIP):

CAMPAIGN MAP PICS (WIP):

RENDERS:

CREDITS:

- leif_erikson for his magnificent late Roman shield designs and late Roman tunic patterns.
    - Rusichi team for their horses and using a number of textures as base.
    - Roma Surrectum II team for using some of their textures to create scale armour.

NOTE: content may be subject to change (for the better) (obviously).
    Last edited by Razor; February 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (FOR-IHSV)

Very cool idea, I love the multiple Roman factions with the Kalmar Union script. Will be watching this very closely.
    +rep for the idea

Default Re: FALL OF ROME - IN HOC SIGNO VINCES (FOR - IHSV)

Sounds most promising and interesting. Furthermore, its a great idea since no other mods have explored this turbulent era

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Very Interesting... hope this works out but it looks like you have a lot of work ahead. Tons of new units you need to make.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

is this an idea or u ll make this mod?

Thanks. Yes, it's a lot of work and won't be finished anytime soon. And it's both an idea and I'm working on it personally. I've done a number of things already. The basic map is ready (though naked and needs some cleaning up), the basic Roman unit list is pretty much done, certain units, models and assets have been touched as well, though all are not final.

Here are some WIP pics of some older stuff. Nearly everything has been retouched (new things added, textures updated etc.), but it gives you a clue as to what I'm aiming for.

Btw, the Rusichi team and the Roma Surrectum team deserve some credit for some of the textures used in this version, which were used as a base to work from.

Also, I'm playing with the thought of making Galerius function as a pope seated in Nicomedia since he was the most senior emperor in the East (together with Maximinus Daia in Antioch) and acting as the protector of the Tetrarchy. I hope it's possible to have the Kalmar Union script working on the papal faction. So once he's dead, Nicomedia will turn to Maximinus and there would be little restrictions to attack other Roman factions (no pope threatening you with excommunications anymore). But this remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Razor; December 24, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

perfect textures.too much cared congrats.which render is that?vray?

Perfect units! So neat and clean job! +rep

Actually I didn't use any preset render. Just 3ds max 'aux naturel'.

it looks very capable render.in first looking i supposed vray.good work.

Domesticus

Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to seeing how it goes

Thanks all. There's enough to show off. In fact I just finished a beauty today, but all in due time. I haven't tested it in game yet because the bump map will be a challenge to pull off. You know, I don't want to spoil the teasing just yet.

First I'm going to finish all Roman helmets (normal and elite stuff) and then I'll be revisiting the tunics and work my way to the archer and skirmisher units. I know it will keep me busy for some time.

razor my friend;

i ve a question for u regarding 3dsx max-milkshape integration.

i ve quite good knowledge over autodesk maya,silo,cinema4d.especially maya and silo seems better character creation tools than max.

but whatever model i do in those softwares i lost the skeleton system,comments,joints,rigs in milkshape.so i create a new skeleton in milkshape.(i really suck in that software)i am really losing all my motivation,moral,wish on modding.

i ve heard that max and milkshape has some scripts or programs so that u can transfer ur unit just couple of clicking from max to milkshape without losing skeleton,comments.

is it true?can u give me more info about this?because i am really tired of my integration problems with milkshape.i need a strong 3d software which is compatible with milkshape.i dont know how to use max but i guess i can learn quickly.i ve good ability to learn such softwares.at least i can model in maya.i can transfer the model to max.and from max to milkshape.what do u think?

thanks.
    Last edited by karaislam; December 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

good work on the mod by the way.repped.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Wow the models are stunning.

24 AD tho?

According to the first post, it means "Anno Diocletiani"
    炸鸡

Domesticus

Whats wrong with AD? Or do you mean the specific year?

Oh my, I can imagine the pains you've suffered. Milkshape isn't my favorite program either. I was happy to find out that 3ds Max is all you need for making M2TW models. Knighterrant has written a script for 3ds Max that allows you to import and export .ms3d formats. Here's some info on it:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=132343
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151655

Also, johnwhile has released a tool for 3ds max that allows you to directly import and save .mesh files:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=419049

I'd recommend you to get and learn 3ds Max (or Gmax). It's a fairly intuitive program and once you get the hang of it, you don't want anything else.

I believe this should get you going. And thanks!

The Anno Diocletiani thing was something I came up with just before posting this thread. I certainly didn't want to use our own method of numbering years (Anno Domini), because it was very very rare in ancient times and became the standard in the west in only the 8th or 9th century AD (Anno Domini that is ).
    The method of numbering years using A.U.C. (Ab Urbe Condita or Anno Urbis Conditiae) was also an option, but I decided to go for Anno Diocletiani because it presents the reign of Diocletian and his creation of the Tetrarchy as a milestone and even a turning point in Roman history (and his reign is usually regarded as the start of the late Roman era).

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Those faces.... Absolutely stunning :O GREAT work mate! I will be keeping my eye on this.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast