Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the Mood

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Into the Mood

that movie was epic.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Yeah lol epicness in it's purest way.
    Does anyone saw the long movie (5 hour one from what i've heard). I din't it's actually the first time i know about this.
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    I am the beginning and end of all beings, of all life
    My breath is pure and live giving, Yin and yang were mine.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

They have broken up the movie in two parts. I am not aware if there's any director's cut. But I have the two films saved for references. Have to give it props in terms of trying to get as close as possible on historical authenticity on the set design/costume/overall aesthetics. I may be biased but I felt the acting and script were terrible. Historical accuracy on the events is questionable as it's a mesh up of facts and elements from the RoTK. But definitely recommend it for getting a feel for the era in its battlegears/fashion etc. In fact, I feel that if you could somehow reconstruct accurately ancient Chinese (language) and (hypothetically let the actors speak it, then you could say that it is as if you've time traveled back to the era. That's how spot on visually (except the visual effects which are still recognizable as CG) it is in the reconstruction of the era personally speaking. I have never seen any media depiction of the Three Kingdoms that gets as close. Just google search and you could find some historical artifacts, especially armor that were just like what was depicted in the movie.

So I think it is almost a prerequisite viewing material for everyone involved in this mod.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If I am not mistaken then the loading screens in the game are taken from that movie - or from the movie with three assassins, something to do with the 'all under heaven principle', Jet Li as the assassin who doesn't kill the ruler because of it .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Gigantus; August 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

I actually really enjoyed the acting and the aesthetics of it all. I've learned to separate historical authenticity from movies created for the sake of entertainment. Otherwise my love of Gladiator would've been utterly demolished in a heartbeat.

Takeshi Kaneshiro I felt did a great job as Zhuge Liang. Perhaps some may not have liked some of the humor woven into his role, but I thought it to be in good taste.

I hope further films based on the time period are undertaken.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If I am not mistaken then the loading screens in the game are taken from that movie - or from the movie with three assassins, something to do with the 'all under heaven principle', Jet Li as the assassin who doesn't kill the ruler because of it .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The 1st one I think was taken from the Red Cliff movie or the long series of 95 episode of the original Three Kingdom.
    The 2nd one was taken from the movie Heroes, and yes, Jet Li acted as a main character )

Quote Originally Posted by Waraven View Post
    In fact, I feel that if you could somehow reconstruct accurately ancient Chinese (language) and (hypothetically let the actors speak it, then you could say that it is as if you've time traveled back to the era.
    THAT would really require a miracle. Do you know how many dialects are there in china now? (and then i mean only central china of today). It is just impossible to direct it to one language it would be derived to different languages (or maybe dialects)
    One of the three, a name split in two, one part is not here, the other is my account name.
    The jade emperor was my apprentice, Now i am retired, leaving the rule of the world in his hands.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

Last edited by Dumanthis; August 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

^^ The first one is my avatar! I have the extended version in Blue Ray with English subtitles. The best film ever.

THAT would really require a miracle. Do you know how many dialects are there in china now? (and then i mean only central china of today). It is just impossible to direct it to one language it would be derived to different languages (or maybe dialects)
    Oh no doubt. The amount of dialects now is staggering so one could imagine the nuance of differences back then. One could very well imagine that if Cao Cao and Zhou Yu meet face to face, they probably would have hard time understanding each other if not because of dialectical difference then accents.

It is unfortunate given the system of Chinese language that it is very hard to reconstruct the ancient tongue because of the pictographical nature of the written system and the disconnect between the sound of the words and transcriptions. And that's just trying to get something like Luo Yang dialect or something of the sort, the popular common language like what Mandarin is for modern Chinese. Add in all the historical, cultural, geographical differences of development, you get yourself a big mess to sort out. (Pretty much impossible) On top of that, sadly Academia is like a thick mist, impenetrable so only a few really knows about the accuracy of any serious reconstruction. But you could find some videos online but one has to be abit skeptical about it given the lack of authentication and reference. But assume it isn't BS then there must be some truth in it right?

Here is a link of Middle Chinese reconstruction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHOKVRCFA8

It sounds close to the Min Chinese as they say. It does make sense by inference in the fact that Cantonese migrants overseas call themselves 唐人, or People of Tang, referring to the Tang Dynasty where there presumably was a massive influx of people from the central plain down to the South as the territories were better charted and connected than before and of course Canton was known to be a great strategic port so it made sense to expand the region. So it makes sense to assume that Middle Chinese could be the root of much of the southern dialects that developed, at least the mainstream ones.

But this is Middle Chinese which won't be what the folks back during the Three Kingdoms period would speak but there's not much to go on for that era since barely anything is found to facilitate detailed study.

Then again there are things like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIkQS...eature=related

A reconstruction of Old Chinese

Which is actually hilarious given the poor quality of the voice acting. Can't say for sure how accurate it is at all given the fact that the older the time the less certain we are of what went on. But if let's say it is as it would have been, then that's some serious rolling sounds!

I don't know, I am not an expert so I don't know how much is actually accurate. Then again these are found online through just casual search. If I really want to find out more, I would have to dig into academic materials but if you are not in linguistics, it would be very difficult to even learn the system that have been developed.

And if you don't know chinese (pardon me mandarin or cantonese or any other dialect and i indeed am not a linguist ). I'm not even chinese at all!

About the Tang part. The Tang emeprors were actually no true "chinese people" they descended from a turko-chinese people. So you can say that what they speak in the south isn't even purely "chinese" at all.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

it's hard to believe Han China achieved a golden age of invention and kept their empire in one piece without the need for legalism despite all these fractures.
    Last edited by yuezhi; August 31, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Oh yes, I do. On reflection, that trailer looks crazy!

Sorry to say but i don't really like japanese videogames who are about other cultures and giving their own swing to it. Did you see the attacking warriors? Their attacking style so japanese, it looks more like they are samurais instead of chinese warriors.
    Last edited by tianzong; September 06, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

I am so excited about this mod. I recently found out how play a mod on a Steam version of the game. I'll have to bring forth the patience of the ancient Chinese philosophers. I absolutely loved your mod for RTW and I look forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I am so excited about this mod. I recently found out how play a mod on a Steam version of the game. I'll have to bring forth the patience of the ancient Chinese philosophers. I absolutely loved your mod for RTW and I look forward to this one.
    Umm the rtw version wasn't hese actually

Who am i?

-Tianzong-

My bad!

Cronos Impera's Avatar Foederatus

Greetings from EB.
    Since historical accuracy is the ideology of EB, I would like to recommend you some ideas.
    a) Try and find artwork from the period (no movie reconstructions, no romanticized versions)
    b) Implement realistic recruitment
    - Make elite units hard to find and recruit (low refresh rates)
    - Scrap a-historical units and units that ware rare or unique during the time-frame. I had to fight hordes of Sun Quan's clanswomen and flame throwing shamans in 1.9.
    For rare units like the clanswomen you could generate them via script instead. You could do this also to ZhongLu crossbows (tie them to Zhuge Liang deaths')
    - Use special "pacification" buildings gain control of a settlement. When your side gets control of a settlement officials must be changed, taxes must be collected, a garrison must be established. A special "building" can solve all this.
    - Merge barracks, stables and crossbow ranges into one military complex.
    - Use traditional music for the ambient. You could employ traditional music from all geographical areas.
    - Use the Teutonic campaign settings for some factions (Lu Bu, Li Jue).

Excellent job so far.
    "Daca voi nu ma vreti, eu va vreu" (Alexandru Lapusneanul)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast