Thread: General Discussion, Announcements

Default Re: General Discussion, Announcements

Quote Originally Posted by Chochlik View Post
    I guess you mean the event?
    I already know. It was important to read the note that appears at the beginning

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Looks great!

How easy will it be for you to import custom animations over? For example, will Gorons still roll around? I imagine it will be easier than making anims for Medieval 2?
    Animations are really easy to get into 0AD. In fact it's better, since I can use Maya to create my animations instead of MS3D. No more stiff and janky in game movements. The capes are all independently animated on the soldiers here, as well as things like the Flail.

VGF254's Avatar Civis

That means you can go crazy with units right?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Animations are really easy to get into 0AD. In fact it's better, since I can use Maya to create my animations instead of MS3D. No more stiff and janky in game movements. The capes are all independently animated on the soldiers here, as well as things like the Flail.
    That's fantastic to hear! Can't wait to see how this all turns out :o

Quote Originally Posted by VGF254 View Post
    Yeah, sounds like Neph could really bring the monsters and more exotic weapons some justice. However, I just hope animations and unit numbers don't overshadow balance in the long run.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by VGF254 View Post
    Yup, I've bumped it up to 20 units per faction now. Also buildings:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

wait i minut your working on 0.ad your done even done with medieval total war 2 yet and you already moved on where is version 5.0 god dammit!

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by djsalibeat View Post
    wait i minut your working on 0.ad your done even done with medieval total war 2 yet and you already moved on where is version 5.0 god dammit!
    I'll probably attempt to make one last version for total war, though I'm kind of dreading it. After seeing how insanely fast I can get content into 0AD's engine (a maximum of 5 minutes to import a new model with animations) versus medieval 2 (up to 8 hours to skin and import one new model with animations), it kind of makes the transition a no brainer for how much time will be saved.

but you promised redo hd for last 4 factions and making the game crash free ;(

DarkInterloper's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by djsalibeat View Post
    but you promised redo hd for last 4 factions and making the game crash free ;(
    The last four factions could theoretically be doable but would take ages and more patience than neph may have left remaining. As for "making the game crash free" that's pretty much against the laws of universe in regard to the med2 engine XD The most we could ever hope to do is quash the major ones, but even that's probably asking too much from the stupid engine.
    Balres Resdak, Balres Nofok.

VGF254's Avatar Civis

Jeez MedII is archaic, sounds like a worthy transition.

Can you give the name for the units? Also are you going to use the squad system where units are built and controlled in groups. It it would be better and more keep with the old game then the mono-unit micromanagement.

--------
    "Honor, Wisdom, and The Freedom of the Common Man"-- The Code of The Republic

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInterloper View Post
    The last four factions could theoretically be doable but would take ages and more patience than neph may have left remaining. As for "making the game crash free" that's pretty much against the laws of universe in regard to the med2 engine XD The most we could ever hope to do is quash the major ones, but even that's probably asking too much from the stupid engine.
    what about end to gohma arc in hyrule history undying promised he would finish gohma arc in medieval 2 engine

Hyrule Total War first caught my eye quite some time ago, and I finally decided to take some time from my own projects to give it a try. I'm glad I did.
    So let me start by saying your work is very impressive, infinitely more so considering the constraints of the hardcoding.

Overhauling TATW I've run into virtually all of the same modding limitations and frustrations you've expressed (and then some!)... for some time now I've been dreaming of a suitable alternative free of hardcoded limitations... even considered sacrificing half my remaining lifespan to make it from scratch (a desperate measure not yet ruled out).

I tried out this 0 A.D. I like what they're doing and I like why they've done it and I like how they've gone about it... even if as is, the engine doesn't seem to be the perfect alternative for a game with as much (or greater) potential for strategic depth and epic scale (both tactical and geographic) as total war affords.

It's certainly a modders ideal age of empires, and I'm already convinced your Hyrule mod for it will be a masterpiece in its own right (especially visually), and regardless of whether or not I enjoy (as much) age of empires style strategy games, I intend to try out what you create, in part out of love for the Zelda universe, but principally on the merits of the work you've done already.

That said, I have not checked under the hood of 0 A.D. Not yet.
    You mentioned it may be possible to eventually implement a strategic layer. That in itself will be an epic undertaking. I'd love to hear your thoughts on both process and final form.

Also... not to nitpick, but I noticed that in its present incarnation, the zoom level is a little disappointing (both maximum and minimum). I like to be able to get an eagle-eyed overview of things. And perhaps more distressing, it doesn't really enable the user to get up close and personal with the details of your models in quite the same way M2 does. And that's a shame. Your work deserves to be admired.
    Of course... no doubt this is all far more easily rectified than the present strategic limitations.

P.S.
    I understand you've gotten some flak for your darker take on Hyrule. One of my first memories as a child was the first time I saw the original Zelda for NES. In my opinion your work isn't a deviation from what Zelda is. Rather it harkens back to her utter roots in days of yore... it's a continuation of those times when it was something special. Not just something good, but something great.
    Last edited by euskingc; August 07, 2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: OCD

Patrician Artifex

There are three factions left: Ikana, Twili, and River Zora. I'll attempt to get their HD models in and release a last version for Total War. When the rest of the Fallen Sage missions are done I'll release them as a pack for Total War. After that I'll attempt to fix up whatever bugs the crashlogs decided to actually point me to. Then I'm moving over to 0AD. The sheer massive amount of time I will save on skinning and importing alone will shave off years of work. All of the expansion packs can be neatly connected and combined now since there is no hardcoded faction limit. Features I have desperately wanted for ages like healing, Gohma spawning larva on death, Moblins throwing smaller Blins at enemies, Heroes with actual abilities and leveling up, naval combat, Stalfos raising the dead from corpses, mobile walking buildings for the River Zora... it's all 100% possible in 0AD and none of those work properly in M2.

Quote Originally Posted by euskingc View Post
    Also... not to nitpick, but I noticed that in its present incarnation, the zoom level is a little disappointing (both maximum and minimum). I like to be able to get an eagle-eyed overview of things. And perhaps more distressing, it doesn't really enable the user to get up close and personal with the details of your models in quite the same way M2 does. And that's a shame. Your work deserves to be admired.
    I imagine it's a simple fix, probably some numerical value that needs to be lowered and increased in one of the files. You can zoom in pretty close and far in the map editor so I imagine it's an easy tweak in the game itself.

Then I'm moving over to 0AD.
    So it's settled then, you are going, after this last version?

Wish I could help with the mystery crashes... but so far the one's I've encountered in your mod, I've never seen before.

With M2 it seems like every other week I'm discovering a new cause for mystery crashes that just shouldn't happen. No trace in the logs. Softcode seems perfectly reasonable. But try to use GeneralPrisonersRansomedCaptor in an ancillary trigger. Well you can't have that.
    Or try to have more than 64 recruit_pools active in one settlement at a time. Can't do that either. Or 32 for one building. Heaven forbid.
    Or more than 10 Affects lines per trigger in the EDCT.
    Or give one particular slave general traits that otherwise work perfectly fine throughout the whole mod...
    At the risk of sounding ungrateful... If I had to describe the Medieval 2 engine in one word it would be this:
    Temperamental.

It's enough to drive one mad.
    So if anyone feels abandoned, do forgive him =)

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by euskingc View Post
    At the risk of sounding ungrateful... If I had to describe the Medieval 2 engine in one word it would be this:
    Temperamental.

It's enough to drive one mad.
    So if anyone feels abandoned, do forgive him =)
    This is an engine that crashes because of daylight savings. Does anything else need to be said at that point?

Those are some gorgeous Buildings.
    This is an engine that crashes because of daylight savings. Does anything else need to be said at that point?
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Aroun View Post
    Can you give the name for the units?
    Check wiki for more details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Aroun View Post
    Also are you going to use the squad system where units are built and controlled in groups. It it would be better and more keep with the old game then the mono-unit micromanagement.
    There's a chance it might be implemented, but it will be reserved for low tier units.
    REMEMBER THE WAX-WIND
    IT WILL FIND YOU
    I AM A CANDLE
    WIND WAX-WIND WAX-WIND WAX

Damn, look at that! Looking great! I do hope you get to make the shift because everything you post seems so excited about using 0AD instead of M2TW.

Senator

So it's going to become a pure RTS based game without a campaign map?
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...