Thread: SotK's Spain Mod

Default SotK's Spain Mod

Hello, I am ahowl11 and I am presenting to you a mod hosted at exilian forums. The creator is Son of the King, otherwise known as SotK. It enhances Spain, so that they are not as weak.

Here is the mod in full detail:
    So, I mentioned I always thought it would be fun to play as Spain (Carthage crossed with barbarians seemed good). Phoenix said that they are bad, but I tried them out anyway. Sure enough, their unit selection made me want to cry. Just Carthage-lite with some naked guys. Oh and a couple of decent unique units, but they are only available from cities. When a nation that was famed for the prowess of its warriors has RTW's Iberian Infantry as their most easily accessible unit that isn't Town Militia/Peasants, and their only good troops come from a maxed out barracks or a single temple, there is a problem.

Problems are fixed by modding!

I renamed Spain to Iberia, and then this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Barracks:

- Town Militia
    - Caetrati

- Town Militia
    - Caetrati
    - Scutarii

- Town Militia
    - Caetrati
    - Scutarii
    - Scutarii Lanceari

- Town Militia
    - Caetrati
    - Scutarii
    - Scutarii Lanceari
    - Heavy Scutarii

Stable:

- Caetrati Cavalry

- Caetrati Cavalry
    - Cantabrian Cavalry
    - Lanceari Cavalry

Range:

- Slingers

- Slingers
    - Archers

Celtiberian Barracks:

- Celtiberian Swordsmen

Temple:

- Bull Warriors

Skirmishers no longer exist, because they are superseded by Caetrati. These are a more historically accurate version of vanilla's Iberian Infantry. They are lightly armoured infantry who carry a number of pilum-style javelins, a falcata sword (historically adapted by the Romans into the gladius) and a small round shield (a caetra).

Also replacing Iberian Infantry are the Scutarii. These are in vanilla, but as the best mainline troops available to Spain (and as such only recruitable in cities). In my mod they are weakened, but still better than vanilla Iberian Infantry.

I added Scutarii Lanceari as there is a severe lack of spearmen available to Spain in vanilla. They can't form a phalanx (although I did toy with the idea), but are decent fighters and good against cavalry.

Heavy Scutarii are exactly what their name says. They are more heavily armoured and armed than the standard Scutarii, and so will be useful in the late game to hold out against more powerful enemies than the local competitors.

Caetrati Cavalry are essentially Round Shield Cavalry, but like the Caetrati they carry a few javelins. Similarly, Lanceari Cavalry are pretty much Long Shield Cavalry.

Celtiberian Swordsmen are exactly what their name suggests. Coming from the Celtic-influenced Celtiberian tribes, they have big swords and aren't afraid to use them. They will be recruitable by some factions in an AOR-style system in the minor city barracks too (in Celtiberia).
    Brief Description
    This mod came about because Spain in vanilla are underpowered and inaccurate. With this mod, their revamped unit roster can put up a good fight against Carthage (indeed they performed well against them in my test campaigns) and Gaul early on, rather than being pathetically weak until they get Bull Warriors. Fighting the Roman factions, especially post-reforms is still a challenge too much for the AI, but that is how I wanted it. An accurate representation of the people famed for their combat prowess.

For people who enjoy Carthage, the fact that Iberian Infantry have been buffed slightly will be good news. Other than that slight change, all other factions are unchanged by this mod.

Changes from Vanilla
    - Spain renamed to Iberia
    - Spain's culture changed from Barbarian to Iberian (to allow large cities)
    - Iberian Infantry buffed for Carthage, removed for Spain
    - Scutarii weakened, now recruitable in Large Town
    - Caetrati replacing Iberian Infantry and Skirmishers for Spain, recruitable in Town
    - Round Shield Cavalry renamed to Iberian Cavalry, removed from Spain's roster
    - Long Shield Cavalry renamed to Iberian Heavy cavalry, removed from Spain's roster
    - Caetrati Cavalry (missile) and Lanceari Cavalry (medium cav) replacing the two removed units
    - Scutarii Lanceari added to Spain's roster, giving them some much needed spearmen, recruitable in Minor City
    - Archers added for Spain, recruitable in Minor City
    - 'Spain' hidden resource added, allowing Celtiberian troops to be recruited on the Iberian peninusla
    - Heavy Scutarii added, powerful infantry recruitable in Large City
    - Naked Fanatics removed from Spain's roster, 'replaced' by Celtiberian Swordsmen
    - Large city + walls model added for Spain
    - New fort model for Spain

Installation Instructions
    1. Extract the spain folder inside this zip to your Rome: Total War directory. This directory is most likely:

-With Gold edition... C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War
    -With Standard edition... C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

or similar.

2. Make a copy of your Rome: Total War shortcut, and add the following to the end of the target line:

-nm -show_err -mod:spain

3. Your new shortcut's target line should now read something like:

"C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -nm -show_err -mod:spain

4. The mod is installed and ready to run! Simply run RTW using the new shortcut to play the mod!

Contact SotK
    Contact me at adamcoldrick@hotmail.com

Please report any bugs you find in the mod's thread:

http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1923.0

If you wish to use this mod or a part of this mod in your work, feel free but be sure to give me credit. Also send me a link so I can check out your mod too .

Thanks,

SotK
    Download
    http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1923.0

debux's Avatar Senator

Default Re: SotK's Spain Mod

Nice stuffs! That Exilian Board looks like a nice place
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )