Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Oldtown

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Default In Oldtown

In
    Mokwil Kelob

Nit opened her eyes and a gush of bright sunrays beamed upon her face. Nit rubbed her eyes sleepily and propped her pillows up. She leaned back on the pillows so that she was in a sitting position. It was rather late in the morning, but Nit was still extremely tired. She’d been up nearly half the night and...well what she’d been doing wasn’t that important and then again, preparing for this trip could be the most important thing in her life. Nevertheless, The important factor was that she hadn’t gotten much sleep.

Nit glanced at her water clock, a thing of ingenuity that was designed to follow the tide, and by looking at the height of the water in the little thing, she could see what time it was on the day and the month, and lastly the year, for the untrained eye its just three tubes with water, some lines on it and that was it. Quite simple. Of course the tubes were held in some decorative silver making it look all fancy. But that had nothing to do with the mechanic of it.

It was too late in the day to go back to sleep. If she did her servants and most importantly her father would think she was ill, if they came to her chambers to look for her. At the moment Nit was all alone with them. She could fall back asleep without anybody seeing her, without anybody knowing. The thought was tempting to Nit’s drowsy eyes. Her eyelids kept wanting to shut themselves and block out all the bright light. Her minds, however, told her that she had to stay awake. Nit looked at the clock once again and thought that she could go to the Great Kitchen and have some discrete breakfast, or rather lunch, since it was lunchtime. Nit got out of bed and dressed in a dark blue, silky dress and her almost transparent gloves. She brushed her hair firmly wanting to free it from all the tangles it owned. After a while it looked good and Nit let it lay upon her shoulders. As Nit entered the Great Kitchen she was dazed by all the beautiful decorations and ornaments. The owens' and general furniture were decorated ever so lovely with the most magnificent ornaments. As she let her gaze drop from the surroundings and around the kitchen she noticed that it was rather empty. It wasn’t as full-packed as usual. Also, there were mostly just lower servants around. Then Nit remembered. She smiled, of-course, she had prepared the entire week for this.. It was her first trip to a human city. Loads of people were using the opportunity to come with her and browse the merchandise and just the humans in general, it was only the lower servants that weren’t allowed to go, somebody had to keep the wheels spinning, so therefore there would be more Servants than actual peop.. Oh no that's wrong.. Uhmm Other people? At the castle. Nit had too planned to go to Oldtown for years, she’d planned that she would do her shopping there. And... Starts a business to bring foreign wares into the Empire More Frequently But her oversleeping didn’t give her as much time to prepare now, the Palace was almost empty, she was happy she had prepared most of her stuff yesterday. Nit quickly ate a fast lunch and then dashed out of the palace towards the ships that were being prepared. Normally shed have loads of servants around her, but she had been adamant that she should be left alone on this day. She went on-board the ship with a mix of determination and childish excitement.

In Mokweel

When the Princess finally approached Oldtown she stared around at all the stores it owned, the port, she could not wait for their ships to dock. She could easily find gifts for all her friends. She looked down herself and smiled widely, she looked so.. Human in these clothes.. Oh she wished her father had been here with her.. This was amazing, He had been here before.. But it was a long time ago.. She looked back at the man captaining the ship. She knew him, he was a fun man. He had the most adorable boys, Twins. She smiled again and looked back at the town as it became larger as they drew closer. She hoped they arose no suspicion. For then Dad would never allow such trip again..

The Five ships docked and people positively thrilled and excited entered to see the City, they kept their cool though, the point was that they were to appear as a minor noble house which had come to buy provisions for their further journey. Most of them had skin white as snow (No not that white it is a metaphor) and hair as the darkest night. Though some who spend time on the surface often such as the captain had a slightly more normal skin colour.

The Princess was quite determined, no matter how much the textile merchants or food merchants attracted her interest she went to the harbour masters house first. She was... So nervous, because she had never spoken with a human before, so this was a first.. She had been taught loads about them. She felt ready, yet not. After having taken the courage to knock on the door she removed some pleats from her dress more as to do something in the exciting seconds it took for the inhabitant of the house to answer the door.
    Last edited by Narf; July 07, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: In Oldtown

OOC: Well, since we have no Hightower player yet...though if one does show up, they can take over from me, np.

All the guards stood aside to allow Nit free access into the dock-master's office after only the customary search - traders of all kinds, from dark-skinned merchants hailing from the Summer Islands, to thickly perfumed Qartheen spice merchants or tanned Lzhareen wool traders, regularly visited Oldtown to peddle their goods, and the dark-haired, fair-skinned princess attracted no greater attention than they did. Only the younger guards were really taken by surprise, the older men already too used to strange sights to do anything more than bidding her the customary salutations.

The harbor master spoke from the other side of the door, "Come in!"

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

Ah, yes. Evelyn had reached her first destination, The Harbour Masters Office. The Establishment had not changed much from the things she had read about it, in their documents of the city, They alwyas documented every detail when they visited a city, documented how it looked if it was first time being there or documenting the changes that had been happening since last visit, which was a much easier job. Luckily this was not her task, god that must be boring.. Erhmm. She put her mind to the task.

It was dusty, aged, creaky, and dimly lit. And still there remained a feeling of authority over the old building. This was where the power over this harbour resided. And it did feel that way. She was positively shining with excitement.. Stepping in, She was not surprised that she was the only customer inside of the office, as it was still early morning, and not too many people run out of their beds early in the morning to get to the Harbour Master, unless there was a strong tide.. Or something... Nit felt bad for the poor man. She wondered if he had a special lady friend to keep him company, and really hoped that he did. Nit thought that running the office must get very uninteresting.Especially with such awfully short lives... But were they interesting ,the peple she had seen on the way here.. She so wished she could have stayed and looked at them. However weird that is.

When stepping inside the office she gathered her hands in front of herself and courtesied to the man.

"Pleased to meet you, and thank you for seeing me on such a short notice."

She grinned at herself in her thoughts, ups, she had made that sound like she had sent a letter or had someone ask for a meeting on her behalf. That was how subjects normally spoke to herself, she had just stumbled upon her words slightly because of her nervous nerves. She didn't show any sign of this train of thoughts though.
    Last edited by Narf; July 08, 2012 at 02:33 AM.

"The pleasure's mine, and it is no issue," The Oldtown dockmaster answered mildly, his balding head barely visible behind the massive stack of parchment he was working through. It appears he isn't paying full attention to Nit however, instead dividing his energies between working through the forms and lists, and Nit herself. He yawned before continuing to ask, "Name, place of origin, and business here, if you please?"

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

Her eyes positively ate the scene, the papers, the man, the rough edges on the table. Of wood no less, in her home they were made of marble. This seemed so fragile, and yet it held all the stacks of paper with no sign of fatigue. This was soo exciting, she recited the words in her head before speaking, the humans language was so strange. So unnecessarily complicated. Ok after thinking a few seconds she answered.
    "I can tell you that good man, My name is Oliena Whitepearl, Me and my family hail from white harbour in the north. I have come here to register office of business and to commission the first ship to work in said business from this port."
    She placed some of her black hair behind her ear, it had been tickling. This was great. She was speaking in a fresh clear voice.
    Last edited by Narf; July 09, 2012 at 08:49 AM.

"Oliena Whitepearl...White Harbour...registering office of business, commissioning a vessel..." The harbormaster muttered as he jotted notes across his parchment. "White Harbour, eh? That must mean you know the Manderlys. Hah, been almost a thousand years since our Flower Kings threw them out for bungling the defense of the Mander 'gainst those Ironborn so badly. So, you know what've they been up to this whole time?"

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

She smiled widely, she loved conversing with humans, she should do this more often, if father allowed it ofcourse..
    "I can tell you that good man, The Manderlys are committed to their duty to the Stark Kings, They have made quite a reputation for themselves since coming there having some experience with trade, ships and such. They also have reputation to be quite lazy themselves, but they are good at making other people do things that end up with returning good profit. But in specifics I am sad to disappoint you, my family is not very well-known. And we families with little more than a sigil to our name is rarely gifted with the rumours and chatter of the Greater Lords daily ongoings.."
    She inhaled freshly enjoying the dusty experience..

"Also, it have been some time since I've been to White Harbour, So anything I could have shared, did I know anything, would be old news."
    She stood barely containing her excitement tipping slightly back and forth on her feet.

"Hm, that's unfortunate. White Harbour's pretty much the only port worth talking about up North, Stony Shore's crawling with Ironmen too often and the Mountains are infested with barbarian clansmen with the queerest customs. The Manderlys are about the only folks out of that lot I'd trust anyway, they might've been total failures back when they still lorded it over the Upper Mander but at least they're still gods-fearing Andals..." The harbor-master was muttering more to himself than to Nit at this point, as he shifted the various stacks of parchment away from him.

"Anyway, on to business. I expect you'll want to operate a warehouse, docking privileges and reserve a spot in the markets to peddle your goods? I'll need you to sign this, this, this, that, and this..."
    The harbor-master extends a number of official-looking scrolls covered in text detailing Oldtown's regulations, a quill and his half-empty container of ink to Nit. "Oh yes, and this. A waiver that we can't be held responsible for any damage caused by the Ironborn." He threw in yet another scroll. "No offense, but you came in at a very bad time. The Ironborn took the Arbor recently, which means the Shield Islands are half useless now that the Pirates can just reave behind it, and have been menacing our shores more than ever. Oldtown'll go bankrupt if we have to cough up compensation for every merchant who's lost a shipment or a worker to those Pirate bastards. The Oldtown Guard will of course do their utmost to protect your goods and laborers once inside the city walls, but on the high seas you'll be expected to provide your own security against the Ironborn unless you happen on a Reach ship."

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

She ate all the impressions raw and unfiltered, looking over the scrolls, reading them as they were passed to her hands. Her eyes speeding down each paper. She placed the annoying lock of hair behind her ear again and looked at the Harbour Master.. Then the papers, And then the Harbour Master Again. She nodded as he asked her about the docking privileges and warehouse and so on. She took feather and dipped it in the ink(I just take it that such a thing stand ready.) and started to write her signature. Her handwriting was outlandishly elegant, one she had practised a lot. This was again a result of her excitement for this day.. This was so great.
    "So there is some kind of war going on? Then I want the Ship I commission to be the largest ever build, great and strong to withstand any pirate raid.. OH! - And In honour to the poor souls on the Arbor I wish to have it called The Arbor Queen."(This is instead of buying ten. And Its nice that the ship get some history.)
    She thought a little, no protection was still bad. It could be outnumbered.
    "Say, who should I talk to if I wished to have it protected by the King of these lands? I could try and broker a deal with that person while the ships is being build?"
    Last edited by Narf; July 10, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

"Er, yes, there has been a war going on. For some time, if I may add." The harbor-master was confused by the young woman's apparent lack of knowledge of Southern geopolitics, but decided against asking her if she'd been living under a rock this whole time. "Anyway, so as I've said the southern waters of the Reach are particularly dangerous owing to Ironborn control of the Arbor, Lord Hightower of Oldtown and Lord Cuy of Sunflower Hall have been doing what they can to clear the Redwyne Straits but there seems to be no end to these Pirates..."

"Er...the 'largest ship ever built'? I'm going to need some more specifics if you want me to forward your request to our shipbuilders. Though, if I may say, that honor's more likely to go to His Grace's Green Ha - er, nevermind." The harbor-master suddenly fell silent. What was I thinking? Almost blabbing about that to a complete stranger, am I still drunk? Not that it matters, I mean the concept of it's been around since the time of King Axell but it still hasn't even had materials put aside for its construction...no, stop thinking about it, she'll catch on to it!

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

Nits lips opened slightly and her lips curved a small millimetre, her curiosity which was grand had almost made her speak or rather, ask about things that was not her business. After a few seconds her lips closed softly again and she smiled both with her mouth and her eyes to the Harbour Master.
    "Specifics? Hmm.. Let us see.. I want it to have... Six! Large burgundy sails and.. multiple banks of oars. Yes Sails AND Oars on the same ships.. And No expense Spared. White Gold and Pearls, oh, oh! And sapphire! Applied as details by the best craftsmen the city have.. Hmm...Maybe Pearls in the Sails would be impressive as they shine in the sun. And white gold on the Oars!."
    She stood in her childish ponder a little before she bit her lip hard, and looked up at the man. She was afraid she had been too weird...
    "Apologies, IS this possible? OR at least some of it? Maybe not pearls in the sails but the gist of it?"

"Well uh, what would be the gist of it?" The harbor-master asked. This was truly the strangest request from one of the strangest ladies he'd met - reminding him that sails and oars belonged on the same ship, and now asking for decor to match anything the Gilded King could ask for? Clearly this girl's family had to be filthy rich, he thought, richer than even the Northern royals. "I must say that doesn't really sound all that practical, but we've got a reputation for fulfilling all but the truly outrageous requests of our customers, so I suppose if you really wanted that we could see what we can do and - "

His train of thought crashed when a raven soared through his window, dropping a message stamped with the Gardener seal in his lap before leaving. Quickly breaking the seal and reading the letter, his eyes widened as he reached the end of the parchment, and only after a moment of surprised silence he spoke to Nit in a suddenly business-like tone, "You know what, just take that form over here - " he pointed to yet another scroll, " - and fill in whatever it is you wanted on your Arbor Queen there - how many decks, oars, sails, what ornaments d'you want on it, all that stuff. Also, be sure to outline when you'll be paying. Once you've finished I'll forward your request to any available shipwrights...not that all that many will be free anyway, not with this order coming in...anyway, we'll inform you of the price, deadlines, estimated time for completion and all that in a few days, if not as early as tomorrow. Just put down where you'll be residing for the time being so we know where to send a raven, or failing that, an actual messenger."

He moved to withdraw a clearly aged box from the shelf behind him and blew some of the dust off of it, before turning to leave the office for the dockworkers outside. "If you'll excuse me, I have some new orders to carry out. You can just leave that form here once you're done with it. After that, I'm sure you'll find the inns and taverns of Oldtown to your liking while you await our response. Good day to you, miss."

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

Nit was still digesting all he had said, she just smiled and nodded, saying a low.
    "Good day.."
    When he was gone she turned to the table, flattened the scroll softly wit her hands onto the table.. She would need more parchment than there was on this scroll, she took some from the Harbour Masters stock and placed a pearl, or two.. Ehh or three, she didn't know the value of paper in their world, so it was better to be sure... Hmm. And then she started writing and drawing, she actually drew the ship, with numbers and dimensions explaining it, and she was fast. In two hours thirty pages of parchment was scribbled with drawings, numbers and descriptions. And still she was afraid there was something she had forgotten. Then she left a few pearls as payment for the Ink too. And a note that explained shed be on her ship.

Now though... It was time for shopping... She rubbed her hands and left satisfied and excited for the trip to the markets. Later that day three men would be helping her back to the ships with wares. Things for her friends and family. And things she just found interesting.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

After a long, tiring journey Captain Methel of the Night's Watch finally made it to Old Town. He had been ordered by the Lord Commander to try and organise some trading agreements with the rich merchants in the City - to such an extent that the Lord Commander had given Methel 20,000 Dragons out of his own purse. The Watch may not partake in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms, but by god it needed their money.

Spotting some city guards Methel ran over and asked them if they could point him in the direction of the city's docks. They just laughed and waved their spears down an ally, indicating he should go down there, before waddling back - supposedly keeping an eye out for trouble.

Methel walked down the city and marvelled in the pride of the oldest city in Westeros. He saw all sorts of things going on, ranging from a thug fight to a outlandish show, but all of it was a world away from the cold halls of the North. Of the Wall. he walked around aimlessly for a few minutes, trying to make it like he knew where he was going when suddenly...

OOC: I'll follow your lead. ;-)
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

Nit was out shopping again, it was paper and ink. She had surprisingly many customers, and filing all the arrangement, sending out letters, ect ect.

On her way back she saw this man with the fragrance of ice and northern waters, he seemed lost, She was still bad at finding around in the city herself but decided to see if she could be of assistance.
    "Excuse me, do you need help finding around?"

Content Staff Citizen

The Redwynes invest in the Trading Company for Future Profit. -60000

Seeing the Success of his daughter Makit pours money in his daughter pockets hoping it will benefit the Empire in the end. - 60000

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    Nit was out shopping again, it was paper and ink. She had surprisingly many customers, and filing all the arrangement, sending out letters, ect ect.

On her way back she saw this man with the fragrance of ice and northern waters, he seemed lost, She was still bad at finding around in the city herself but decided to see if she could be of assistance.
    "Excuse me, do you need help finding around?"
    Curse my oath!

Captain Methel turned in surprise towards the voice, but he relaxed a little when he saw a friendly face looking at him. "Why thank-you Miss," he replied, trying to sound courteous and well verse in the arts of social interaction with the fairer sex. "I'm part of the Night's Watch, and I'm trying to find the 'Office'?" He continues, shrugging his shoulders in despair.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

After a long travel by ship, they were finally there,
    Oldtown, the biggest and oldest of them all; Beatiful and Dangerous, just like a good woman, -Alesander tought, -Now the only thing I have to do is find that Merchant Girl ; The Mertyn family had some extra cash, and they had sent Alesander to invest in this famous Merchant Company, He had been reluctant at first, saying it may be better to let him open another enterprise, but yet, he was there, and he needed to find this girl, as he desperatly wanted to finish the business so he could have a little fun,
    Because he knew Oldtown girls were famed for their beaty,

Content Staff Citizen

In Mokweel

To Shankbot

Nit fixed her sapphire blue eyes on him and smiled,she shifted the weight of her newly bought items from one arm to the other and tipped her head slightly. Her thoughts were speeding away, but her expressions didn't betray any of them
    "Well, good Knight, Protector of the Ice and torch bearer in the night, there is many Offices here in Oldtown, is there one in particular you are looking for?"

In Mokweel

To Pinkerton

After asking around for some time he was directed to a girl in a elegant blue dress of myrish silk. She stood with some papers in hand, speaking with a man at the docks. Both the man and herself was as pale as pale gets and as black-haired as the night itself. She had long free and beautiful hair, he, short and practical. There was no mistake only she fitted the description.

Last edited by Narf; July 16, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Milady, I'm Alesander of House Mertyn -He said interrupting their conversation, in a sweet, charming tone- And I'm here in representation of my Family,
    He walked a little bit around the office, after a few second he gave her a look, and impressed by her beaty, Alesander continued to speak-
    As you may know, Lady Whitepearl, Our family has arrived from Essos not so long ago, but we are not newcomers, we are rather, oldcomers, -He lightly chuckled-
    And we want to stablish a nice comercial net, as good as the one we had back in the Free Cities; So I asked a few friends of trust and they talked to me about you
    -He cuddled his hair and smiled,-
    Could you please, tell me what can you offer to my House
    Last edited by Pinkerton; July 16, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast