Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are we supposed to fight ?

Default Who are we supposed to fight ?

Hey guys,

I started a campaign with Choshu. As an imperialist, I thought I had to fight shogunate forces only, but I am so far from their regions, it requires me to send a fleet and troops there. So I landed on Obama's land and conquered 2 regions but meanwhile 4 shogunate clans declared war on me without any reason ( we are used to it ) and they keep sending me tons of fleets destroying my ports. As everyone knows, AI has infinite money so they can sending me fleets after the fleets. The only thing I can do with my money is repairing my fleet and my port if I'm lucky enough...which is not the case. Being in late 1867 while the campaign ends in 1870, I can already say it's lost.

On the other hand, on Kyushu, imperialists keep killing each other again and again not even taking care of the shogunate fleets.

So what is the goal of this campaign ?
    Are we supposed to steamroll our imperialists friends or stop shogunate armies ?

I thought the goal was to help spreading the imperialist ideology by attacking shogunate clans with the help of other imperialist clans. But I guess I'm wrong. Attacking other imperialist clans seems so weird to me, I don't even want to do this.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

MeenChawitTH's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Who are we supposed to fight ?

Happens to me too, was playing Satsuma

but right around realm divide (The point where you can choose be appointed as a vanguard or be independent.)
    The imperialist clans just stop fighting each other, team up. either fall in your line or against you as allied force.

So just keep hitting Shogunate clans, soon it will be easier, perhaps it is comparable to process of natural selection, the strong gets to fight against the real enemy.

Ultimate goal is to unite japan under your affiliation, on how to achieve it is under the clan tab.
    Last edited by MeenChawitTH; March 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

You have to move up main land japan, and conquer the smaller imperial factions as well as the shogun's forces.
    Also I feel you with the port problems because im chosu but wait until they send troops to that reigon they cost me my two provinces I captured on the far western island which had copper and coal to export.

I would like to have the opportunity to choose an imperial clan which is on the border with shogunate clans.

Now Jozai landed 1800 men near my capital and sadly my fleet range was just one millimeter too far too help while they sieged me. Now I have almost no income and no army to strike back near my capital.

I will start it again and kill the little imperialist clans near as big the non-sense to do this can be.

The Tsu is pretty much on the border with the Shogunate allies. Of course you'll need the steam edition......

The thing is that during the war there was a lot of infighting. It was that infighting that allowed the Imperialists to win a lot of the time (at the Battle of Toba-Fushimi the Tsu betrayed the Shogun for example). I guess if only the Shogunate clans had infighting then being an Imperial would be too easy...
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Pretty much had the same as you. Playing as Choshu, I had emperialists all around me but there was some heavy warfare going on. Tosa even landed a naval invasion on my ground.. And thus I couldn't really progress since there was constant war with free for all with ~6 emperor clans who all had 1, 2 provinces. In 1866 I still had two provinces >.< (and 2 vassals, but w/e)

There is obviously something wrong when among all the imperialist clans, only one is fighting the shogunate, the other are more interested by destroying each other. It kills the bit the point of the story.

Meh.. I guess thesame is going on in the east with the shogunate clans. Otherwise it would be a bit too much 1 versus 1 in a total war title..

- Hey, you heard the news? Mad man from Kyushu is invading Kansai!
    - Really? He must want to reach Kyoto and the Emperor. Dont worry, the Obama will take care of it.
    - They're dead.
    - Hmm. Lets send a few ships to destroy his economy. I hate these people! 260 years of peace really makes people go nuts.

As counterintuitive as it is, factions being ¨hardcoded¨ to be allied would get old fast.

I guess the whole point is to show that the factions were only loosely allied based and there was a lot of infighting. When the realm divide happens factions pitch in to the biggest faction that supports their cause, which makes more sense I guess

Quote Originally Posted by leviath View Post
    Hey guys,

I started a campaign with Choshu. As an imperialist, I thought I had to fight shogunate forces only, but I am so far from their regions, it requires me to send a fleet and troops there. So I landed on Obama's land and conquered 2 regions but meanwhile 4 shogunate clans declared war on me without any reason ( we are used to it ) and they keep sending me tons of fleets destroying my ports. As everyone knows, AI has infinite money so they can sending me fleets after the fleets. The only thing I can do with my money is repairing my fleet and my port if I'm lucky enough...which is not the case. Being in late 1867 while the campaign ends in 1870, I can already say it's lost.

On the other hand, on Kyushu, imperialists keep killing each other again and again not even taking care of the shogunate fleets.

So what is the goal of this campaign ?
    Are we supposed to steamroll our imperialists friends or stop shogunate armies ?

I thought the goal was to help spreading the imperialist ideology by attacking shogunate clans with the help of other imperialist clans. But I guess I'm wrong. Attacking other imperialist clans seems so weird to me, I don't even want to do this.
    Once you hit realm divide that happends before no. And also the computer dont have infinite money. you dont realy tell what difficulty your playing on either but i can tell you this. Sending an army half of japan away attacking a nothing but Shogunate area will have its consequences like what your experincing maybe you should try your borders firsts.

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

This is just sengoku jidai in the 1860's gameplay-wise. Until the new RD hits that is. But oh how fun it is.

Averroes19's Avatar Miles

The best tip I can give you is that you need to conquer Imperial factions as well. There is no other way around it. In my current Choshu campaign I had to take out Fukuoke (sp? sorry) and Saga because of their locations. Obviously you do not want to do that right away, but you need to build great alliances (Hiroshima faction is a great ally) and also do not shy away from making a few vassals (I have 3). Especially, makes smaller shogunate factions your vassals, because this gives you prestige with the Emperor, because when you make them your vassals they switch allegiances.

Start building a strong navy right away, because this game requires you to have a great interplay between naval and land units. Since you are on Kyushu secure your border to the east and then expand to west. Keep your possessions concentrated instead of spread.

Secure trade routes with the Americans, British or French and keep good relations with Satsuma if possible. They are a real powerhouse for the Imperial forces.

That's weird. In my playthrough, all the imperials lined up with each other from the start and so did the Shogunate forces.

Occasionally there's a clan that switches allegiances. That clan does NOT meet a happy end.

Averroes19's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    That's weird. In my playthrough, all the imperials lined up with each other from the start and so did the Shogunate forces.

Occasionally there's a clan that switches allegiances. That clan does NOT meet a happy end.
    I feel as though the Shogunate clans have far more internal fights going on then the Imperial factions.

Depends. I recently had myself and Nagaoka become massive powers in my Aizu campaign. Nagaoka was dealing with the mainland, I was using naval support to conquer the Imperialist Islands. I finish my invasion of Shikoku, and find out that almost every Shogun faction has switched to Imperial, and the Nagaoka are losing ground fast. Time for some Shinsengumi, me thinks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Well, a lot of how it turns out depends on your diplomacy. But yeah it seems kinda counter intuitive at first that your "alligned" factions go to war with you.

As I said it makes sense, they not only want their faction to win, they want to be the top dog of the winning faction.

Only played one campagin as Satsuma so far. However, I didn't run into this problem. I never seemed to run out of Shogunate-clans to fight. I even had neighbouring factions switching allegiance and stabbing me in the back. Only after I had conquered my little corner of Japan and became regent, did I have to start travelling longer distances for a fight against the Shogunate.

By the end of the campaign, I had only fought one Imperialist clan, and that's because they attacked me.

You guys have it lucky, Im playing on Normal, its me and the Satsumi on the far western island (its roughly split up between us in the landgrab)...

The rest of Japan? SHOGUNATE CLANS.

I think they are fighting eachother, but jesus christ gaining ground is difficult, but hats off to the allied ai though, they've been a great help.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

As Satsuma, Choshu and the Saga are decking it out on the tip of mainland Japan right now, I've pushed both of them outside of Kyushu. So while you shouldn't fight Imperial factions, as long you don't fight letsay, Choshu or Tosa, you'll be fine. And gaining ground is very slow on Satsuma, and with the shenanigans going on on the mainland I don't even dare approach Kyoto or Edo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast