Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Church of England

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The Church of England - Atheism not allowed, respect this thread.

" The problem with this quote is the concept if what it is to pay taxes that people do not realize. Upon the coin is stated Augustus Tiberius, son of the Divine Augustus. This mean that paying taxes was subjugation and acceptance of roman law. One of these tenets of roman law was the concept of the emperor being Divine i.e god "

Divine Augustus,

Yes but the Jews knew that Caesar was not divine as did Jesus, their consideration in my estimation being the Law which taught them to hate anything not under it. In other words they were trying to trap Jesus by the Law which of course they didn't succeed in doing, why? Because carnal Israel was under the rule of carnal Rome whereas giving to God was anything but carnal in the Spiritual sense on which Jesus reply was founded.

" So by paying taxes its quite a conundrum isnt it, do Christians back then now accept Caesar as divine, because by roman law they have to correct, or is it that this piece of script has a more figurative meaning an deeper meaning besides actually "rendering unto Caesar" which would have been morally unacceptable and in fact polytheism."

Christians all across this world have to pay taxes to whomever rules over them whether they, these rulers, say that they are divine or not. That has not changed, why? Because the difference lies in what is carnal and what is Spiritual. God says that carnal laws are to be obeyed and done so for a very good reason. The reason being that these rulers couldn't find fault with them. But their hearts were with God in the giving to God what was His.

I don't see why you are having problems with this. The world is the world at enmity with God. But God is God quite separated from it, yet not separated from His people in the world. The born again Christian sees this, is taught this and therefore lives by it looking to a better place not yet come. One can begin to see why Jesus said turn the other cheek or give not just your coat because in doing so the Christian is not being offensive to whatever law he or she is under. Nonetheless God is the God of all things, is over all things and sustains all things.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Augustus View Post
    The problem with this quote is the concept if what it is to pay taxes that people do not realize. Upon the coin is stated Augustus Tiberius, son of the Divine Augustus. This mean that paying taxes was subjugation and acceptance of roman law. One of these tenets of roman law was the concept of the emperor being Divine i.e god

So by paying taxes its quite a conundrum isnt it, do Christians back then now accept Caesar as divine, because by roman law they have to correct, or is it that this piece of script has a more figurative meaning an deeper meaning besides actually "rendering unto Caesar" which would have been morally unacceptable and in fact polytheism.
    bold premise .. source? you didn't have to indulge in the imperial cult if you didn't want to as far as i know , the Romans let you worship whoever you wanted as long as you didn't cause them trouble.

the problem addressed in the verse is the "do we submit to the earthly powers authority" problem

what in fact He referred to was that even rulers being established are only so by the authority of God thus covering even the unbelieving world as well as those that do believe. Paul gave similar rulings when he wrote to the churches. Therefore if believers under such rulers as they are in all their shapes and guises it is imperative that they, believers, keep the laws that are instituted by them, rulers, even though a believer is Spiritually different. (Basics)

Then I have to ask you, what about the laws that these rulers institute and live by? Are we to ignore them? Are we to disobey them? The answer to that is a resounding no, why? Because whether we like it or not these rulers rule by the authority of God. Good or bad it doesn't matter because they make the laws and we according to Jesus and Paul have to respect that and conform like everyone else. Is God not the God of all men? Does He not raise up nations and destroy others? Then don't be so silly.(Basics)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...-imperial-cult

Here is a small source stating the divinity of Augustus, Caesar of Divinus Julius which was a cult devoted to Caesar and his adopted son Octavian.

Also it touches upon that even after the death of the Augustan line of Emperors the emperors divinity stayed constant even to Constantine the first who was the Pontifex Maximus (basically a pagan pope)
    Last edited by Divine Augustus; December 01, 2013 at 01:50 AM.

Whether or not the Jew knew Caesar was not divine does not matter, roman law states that praise and acceptance of Caesar was a law, and the disobeying of that law was punished.

In your earlier comment you stated this quote meant that whoever is in power 'Caesar" was ordained by god and was mean't to be in power. I stated no. If you looked I quoted what you said and you stated we should follow and obey laws. The fact is it was Law to accept and give offerings as you would a god like Athena or Ares, as you would The Emperor of Rome disobeying is treason.

All I stated was the meaning of that quote meant the physical world is of Caesars, and the spiritual world is gods.

Your statements are incoherent.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Augustus View Post
    roman law states that praise and acceptance of Caesar was a law, and the disobeying of that law was punished.
    again no source for the same premise as far as im aware the imperial cult was not mandatory

http://www.academia.edu/250713/Imper...he_Roman_World

Read the paragraph on the page 393

It states in the sentence and I thus quote... "The imperial cult became the symbol of imperial unity. That was the reason why it was legally enforced

Unless

Last edited by Kaiser Nonsense; August 25, 2018 at 07:59 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

They will not allow a King of Britain if he is Jewish or Catholic or marry's the wrong person.This is bigotry.
    We need to let the King or Queen be what they want.There are Jews and Catholics in the Kingdom can they not be represented by the Monarch.There are laws forbidding a Jewish or Catholic in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    Oh, so in your theory, they should bring down the palace with all those Michelangelo's paintings on the walls and roofs, and then what, sell it piece by piece? You're just going to say anything, no matter what argument I give, aren't you?

That's exactly right, any little thinking one do is enough to realise one has no problem being rich, the problem is not helping others. Besides, the priests, bishops, cardinals and pope aren't rich, what they have are the Church's and not theirs particular, once they die, others will use, and so on.

It does, it's described in Genesis as the place the Jews believed they went when they died, to await judgement, that's what Purgatory is.

Yes, it's possible, any forensic doctor (pathologist) can confirm that, in crimes for examples, when doing an autopsy they can reveal if a wound was done post-mortem or not. It has something to do with the blood cells, which instantly start the slow process of healing, and if the body is dead, it doesn't. As for who did it, search Google, it's some famous institute in the USA.

Oh! So you are an neo-atheist, one of those angry kids whom never read Saint Thomas Aquinas and heard a Marxist teacher saying religion is nonsense?

Really foolish of you, as any serious historian can tell you, even atheist ones, the Church has only improved mankind in history, for example, the creation of hospitals (I'm not talking about building it, I'm talking about actually inventing it) and universities, schools, place to study. Another point, as Thomas Woods (Harvard University B.A. Columbia University M.Phil., Ph.D.) proved, there was no such thing as "charity" or "helping others without expecting nothing in return" before Christianity, also paedophilia wasn't seen as something bad, neither was rape and slavery.

Now, why again do you oppose the Church?

And about wealth, it's exactly like I said, use your common sense, do you think that, let's take a secular, not catholic person for neutrality, Bill Gates would go to hell? Him being one of the men who most helped humanity and donates billions of his fortune to charity?

And if that was true, so would King David and lots of prophets go to hell, since God himself awarded them with riches.
    And your opinion on cash 'indulgences'? Perhaps they were a strange form of generosity and honesty on the part of the clergy?

the Church has only improved mankind in history
    Except for the 5+ Crusades that it sanctioned in which MILLIONS were killed, not to mention the instigation of the Thirty Years Wars that left Southern Germany a ghost region. You can also add in the protestant deaths in England, France, and Spain, as well as the Reconquista and Northern Crusades, but once you're over 25+ Million deaths does it really matter?
    Last edited by Celsius; January 12, 2014 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    Except for the 5+ Crusades that it sanctioned in which MILLIONS were killed, not to mention the instigation of the Thirty Years Wars that left Southern Germany a ghost region. You can also add in the protestant deaths in England, France, and Spain, as well as the Reconquista and Northern Crusades, but once you're over 25+ Million deaths does it really matter?
    Please, do me a favour, you can't be that ignorant, look on your map where Meccah is, and tell me how they got up to the doors of Vienna from one side, and the half of France by the other, Crusades were nothing but a defensive war, to hinder moslem conquest. And Reconquista, think carefully your words when referring to the history of my descents, for I be very much offended, my people suffered 700 years of barbarian invasion, slavery, pillage, oppression. As for Thirty Years' War, you have Martin Luther to thank for that, same for Nazism. I as a catholic cannot possibly defend the protestant heresy which has nothing but brought death and chaos into the world.

Not to mention that, really, millions? Have you really considered the world's population and and the world's population now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mongsworth View Post
    And your opinion on cash 'indulgences'? Perhaps they were a strange form of generosity and honesty on the part of the clergy?
    Such thing never existed, in the way you think it did, indulgence is forgive sins for a good act of faith of donating money for charity, money which the church will use in one of the:

In Asia: 1.076 hospitals; 3.400 dispensaries; 330 leperhouses; 1.685 nursing homes; 3.900 orphanages; 2.960 kindergartens. In Africa: 964 hospitals; 5.000 dispensaries; 260 leperhouses; 650 nursing homes; 800 orphanages; 2.000 kindergartens. In America: 1.900 hospitals; 5.400 dispensaries; 50 leperhouses; 3.700 nursing homes; 2.500 orphanages; 4.200 kindergartens. in Oceania: 170 hospitals; 180 dispensaries; 1 leperhouse; 360 nursing homes; 60 oprphanages; 90 kindegartens. In Europe: 1.230 hospitals; 2.450 dispensaries; 4 leperhouses; 7.970 nursing homes; 2.370 kindergartens, maintained by the catholic church.

How again does your atheist heroes help humanity? Oh, that's right, they don't do anything at all other than bother people about their personal views.
    Last edited by Kaiser Nonsense; January 12, 2014 at 05:45 AM.

Oh, so in your theory, they should bring down the palace with all those Michelangelo's paintings on the walls and roofs, and then what, sell it piece by piece? You're just going to say anything, no matter what argument I give, aren't you?
    I don't care what they do with it. God's the one who will send them all to hell. According to the Bible, anyways.

There are no caps, nor bolds, nor emoticons large enough, to convey just how loudly I laughed right now.

was no such thing as "charity" or "helping others without expecting nothing in return" before Christianity
    Well you can tell Thomas Woods that he's wrong, because Vikings not only had charity, they looked after widows and the weak in their society with an institutionalized health care and insurance. Also, pirates on the high seas, few of whom were Christian had health care, social freedoms, equality... Good thing Christianity was there to save them, right?

neither was rape
    Again, the vikings would disagree with you and your barbaric culture.

Now, why again do you oppose the Church?
    Because I don't view it through some bubble that automatically filters the trash and undeservingly attributes all of mankinds goods to it..? Is a place to start anyway.

do you think that, let's take a secular, not catholic person for neutrality, Bill Gates would go to hell? Him being one of the men who most helped humanity and donates billions of his fortune to charity?
    Due to the fact he also maintains a large personal fortune, according to your Bible yes. Do I think he'll go to hell? Of course not. There's no such thing as hell. How would he get to a place that isn't?

so would King David and lots of prophets go to hell, since God himself awarded them with riches.
    Yes. That is true. According to the Bible the prophets are in hell.

Don't be mad at me because I know your scripture better than you. Either find me the bible passage that serves as the escape clause for when it's okay to horde personal wealth, or simply accept the fact that the lord, your God, hates your church for its money grubbing.

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I don't care what they do with it. God's the one who will send them all to hell. According to the Bible, anyways.
    No, it doesn't, and you can't tell it does because you have no degree in theology, you are officially unable to understand what is written there.

There are no caps, nor bolds, nor emoticons large enough, to convey just how loudly I laughed right now.
    Well then, prove I'm wrong.

Well you can tell Thomas Woods that he's wrong, because Vikings not only had charity, they looked after widows and the weak in their society with an institutionalized health care and insurance. Also, pirates on the high seas, few of whom were Christian had health care, social freedoms, equality... Good thing Christianity was there to save them, right?
    Right, YOU, some little kid on the internet wants to tell one of the most renowned historians in the world that he's wrong?! And I challenge you to prove it, you can't possibly prove it because it is a lie, they barely had farms and small villages, let alone institutionalised health care.

Due to the fact he also maintains a large personal fortune, according to your Bible yes. Do I think he'll go to hell? Of course not. There's no such thing as hell. How would he get to a place that isn't?
    Again, you can't "according to your Bible" because you have no proper instruction in theology, and saying that to me, catholic, is absurd, we don't take the bible in the same manner protestants do.

Yes. That is true. According to the Bible the prophets are in hell.

Don't be mad at me because I know your scripture better than you. Either find me the bible passage that serves as the escape clause for when it's okay to horde personal wealth, or simply accept the fact that the lord, your God, hates your church for its money grubbing.
    Sure you know better than me, you probably not even heard the name St Thomas Aquinas and wants to know better than me. Just the major proof of that when you say "According to the Bible the prophets are in hell", when the Bible mentions it pretty well some of them were taken alive to heaven, even before dying, and not to mention there are thousands of proofs inside the Bible that they are in heaven.

My advice lad? Don't go blaming God because your grandma takes you to the church in weekends, you shouldn't be such a rebellious brat.

No, it doesn't
    Yes it does. In fact, the Bible says that Jesus said it. So God's on my side.

Well then, prove I'm wrong.
    You're blinded by your bubble. The bigotry and wars, the manipulation and subjugation of various foreigners... Crusades are all about defense ay? You're right. What a colossal threat Lithuania posed to Europe. Good thing God sent those Teutonic knights to massacre them in droves. Them - being peasants in various degrees of rags and Teutonic Knights being Knights in armor made of metal.

And lets not forget how the Pope was quite keen on them Teutons popping over to Orthodox (Can you believe those idiots! They're the WRONG kind of Christian!) Russia for a little stay too. Or how they continued to fight for 30 years after Lithuania converted to Catholicism. Yes. What a wonderful boon the Church has been on civilization.

And I challenge you to prove it
    Oh you just want to hear about the Vikings and not the Pirates? Presumably because you already know about Black Barts code and how it sets aside plunder, which means you know charity wasn't invented by Jesus or whoever you're desperately trying to insist dunnit "for the cross".

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here's a decent book for you to read if you wanted to check that Vikings do indeed think your rapist Christians ancestors are backwards barbarians.

I'm at a loss, because I can't find the book where it mentions how well they look after their weak - so I'll settle on having pirates completely call bull on your ridiculous claim that Christians invented charity.

Read Black Barts rule number 9 under Brazli and the Caribbean for pirateyness. That was already general practice amongst all but some of the crueler pirate ships, which generally mutinied and changed things anyway - he just decided to make it a hard and fast rule on his own ships with a set number.

you can't "according to your Bible"
    Well, I can. Because according to your bible it is so. It's even in there and everything. So... yeah. Cry and moan about degrees in theology to justify time people waste studying it, doesn't change what the Bible says. If you think I'm wrong, tell me how the Jesus quote doesn't mean hoarding personal wealth = ticket to hell.

the Bible mentions it pretty well some of them were taken alive to heaven
    Wouldn't be the first time the Bible was a hypocrite. One of the many reasons I find it to be a collection of anecdotes at best and lies and falsehoods at worst.

thousands of proofs inside the Bible
    There is no proof to be found in that book.

My advice lad? Don't go blaming God because your grandma takes you to the church in weekends, you shouldn't be such a rebellious brat.
    Poor form. Would Jesus want you to get in such a huff and a puff just because you are wrong? You should be more like Jesus, like me.

Yes it does. In fact, the Bible says that Jesus said it. So God's on my side.
    Nice how you cut out half of my statement and left only "no it doesn't", because you know for a fact that there is an entire context behind it.

You're blinded by your bubble. The bigotry and wars, the manipulation and subjugation of various foreigners... Crusades are all about defense ay? You're right. What a colossal threat Lithuania posed to Europe. Good thing God sent those Teutonic knights to massacre them in droves. Them - being peasants in various degrees of rags and Teutonic Knights being Knights in armor made of metal.

And lets not forget how the Pope was quite keen on them Teutons popping over to Orthodox (Can you believe those idiots! They're the WRONG kind of Christian!) Russia for a little stay too. Or how they continued to fight for 30 years after Lithuania converted to Catholicism. Yes. What a wonderful boon the Church has been on civilization.
    The Polish King asked for help, he couldn't stand pagan raids anymore.

Oh you just want to hear about the Vikings and not the Pirates? Presumably because you already know about Black Barts code and how it sets aside plunder, which means you know charity wasn't invented by Jesus or whoever you're desperately trying to insist dunnit "for the cross".
    Sure, 17th and 18th century was before Christ. Or you think those pirates had no influence of Christianity whatsoever? You cannot compare something that was post Christ, you can only compare pre Christ, and history show us all societies before Christ had no sense of charity whatsoever.

Here's a decent book for you to read if you wanted to check that Vikings do indeed think your rapist Christians ancestors are backwards barbarians.

And that they protected their women has nothing to do with charity towards strangers, the poor, the sick, build hospitals and universities, improve welfare for the common people, literally invent modern science, preserve ancient philosophy and so on.

I'm at a loss, because I can't find the book where it mentions how well they look after their weak - so I'll settle on having pirates completely call bull on your ridiculous claim that Christians invented charity.

Read Black Barts rule number 9 under Brazli and the Caribbean for pirateyness. That was already general practice amongst all but some of the crueler pirate ships, which generally mutinied and changed things anyway - he just decided to make it a hard and fast rule on his own ships with a set number.
    Like I said, those pirates you are referring to lived in a time Christianity was plain settled in the world.

Well, I can. Because according to your bible it is so. It's even in there and everything. So... yeah. Cry and moan about degrees in theology to justify time people waste studying it, doesn't change what the Bible says. If you think I'm wrong, tell me how the Jesus quote doesn't mean hoarding personal wealth = ticket to hell.
    Again, you never read St Thomas Aquinas, St Augustine and yet you want to understand complex theology, you are not qualified, I daresay you haven't even finished high school.

Wouldn't be the first time the Bible was a hypocrite. One of the many reasons I find it to be a collection of anecdotes at best and lies and falsehoods at worst.
    If you want to read without proper instruction, then that is the result you get.

There is no proof to be found in that book.
    Proof of what I'm saying, it isn't like you say it is, "you are rich, you are doomed", according to the Bible, wasn't you saying it is according to the Bible? Then how can you say it has no proof, if the grounds on which we debate are sacred scripture?

Poor form. Would Jesus want you to get in such a huff and a puff just because you are wrong? You should be more like Jesus, like me.
    I am wrong? And you are always right, no matter what? Pfft, what an arrogance...

And you see my point when I said NO ATHEISM? I created this thread focusing on debate WITH ANGLICANS, and you changed the entire matter of the thread, turning this on a big "refute atheism" thread, if you insist on this I will call moderation and report you for off-topic.
    Last edited by Kaiser Nonsense; January 12, 2014 at 08:08 PM.

build hospitals and universities, improve welfare for the common people, literally invent modern science, preserve ancient philosophy and so on.
    Ironically, Islam did much better job in these areas than Christianity. Also, I'd recommend you to read some pre-christianic philosophical texts, especially about Stoicism. Early christianity drew upon it a lot. Also, I should remind you that when christianity got hold upon politics, they destroyed a lot of works that were deemed "heretical" and preserved only fragments that fit their worldview. Therefore for many important works were preserved only outside of Christianity's area of influence, for example Aristotle's work survived only thanks to early islamic scholars.

Again, you never read St Thomas Aquinas, St Augustine and yet you want to understand complex theology, you are not qualified, I daresay you haven't even finished high school.
    Besides the fact that you're showing desperation with ad hominem insults, you are effectively argumenting that over 99% of believers can't understand their faith.

Oh and by the way...I am quite familiar with argumentation of most prominent christianic "philosophers" like Augustine or Aquinas, and frankly, they leave a lot to be desired.

I am wrong? And you are always right, no matter what? Pfft, what an arrogance...

And you see my point when I said NO ATHEISM? I created this thread focusing on debate WITH ANGLICANS, and you changed the entire matter of the thread, turning this on a big "refute atheism" thread, if you insist on this I will call moderation and report you for off-topic.
    Fascinating. While accusing Lazarus of arrogance you managed to achieve the very same thing.

Crying for moderation might have a little value when the debate between you and Lazarus started. Now it only makes you look like losing crybaby. Besides, this is an open forum, everyone can put down his opinion here.

Protector Domesticus

A few things:

Charity: I find it hard to believe that this concept is purely a christian creation beyond the word itself, its in human nature to be charitable to others, everyone has the capacity to emphasis with those around them. If you want some specific historical evidence, many Eastern religions perform charity and those predate christianity.

Hospitals: i dont think there is a single culture or peoples whom didnt have a structure for the intent of medical practice in some form or another.
    Education structures: Refer to above, just look at the greeks or chinese.

The Polish King asked for help, he couldn't stand pagan raids anymore.
    So the 30 years that Lithuania wasn't pagan was just... what? Crusaders not getting the memo? And Orthodox Russia?

Or you think those pirates had no influence of Christianity whatsoever?
    Very little influence, seeings as few pirates were actually European - most being liberated slaves from various parts of the world.

Again, I keep inviting you to give me the passage that excuses people for hoarding wealth. You are yet to provide one. I appear to understand your theology far more then you do. You can bang on about how magnificent Thomas is till time stops, that doesn't excuse wealth hoarders according to Jesus - unless you've gone and found that passage?

I never said I was always right. Merely that you are wrong. Which I have demonstrated. By quoting Jesus. It's not my fault Jesus disagrees with you.

This is completely on topic - because you wanted to deride Protestants for what they believed, calling it invented and fake and not the true teachings of Jesus. I've merely pointed out to you that your own Church is completely guilty of the same thing. I haven't even brought atheism in to it. I'm just saying that your interpretation of the holy word is approximately as far from the truth as the Protestants, the example you got all hung up on was how I pointed out Jesus doesn't like cash hoarders. Just because you find that truth inconvenient doesn't make this off topic. It also doesn't make your church any more truer than the Protestant one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

" I as a catholic cannot possibly defend the protestant heresy which has nothing but brought death and chaos into the world."

Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert,

Since it was Roman Catholics that were the first Protestants can you explain to me what these heresies were? According to my Bible death and chaos began when Adam was persuaded by Eve to eat the forbidden fruit, so where do Protestants come into the picture there? So that's two explanations I wait to hear rather excitedly I may say.