Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: 5.0 Feeback thread

Well some of that last posted wen't to me so thank you.

Im loving it to the full! Currently as the Numidians, fighting over Libya with Carthage so we are at war, Spain are my allies and so are the legions of Rome.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Right now I'm the Germans and I'm taking over all the rebel settlements thanks to my Beserkers.

I have 6, and they just plow through those warbands!
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

There are two Mods which I have been playing at least 4 hours per day (I am retired and have all time in the world) for some time now - the TE 4.0, the BBW and now TE 5.0.
    Both Mods (TE and BWW) are completely different and contain elements that are appreciated by players with different playing styles. Let's have a look at this since the middle of both is the style I prefer.
    BWW: Is the most difficult Mod I ever played. No city walls, land bridges, and very expensive building costs. On top of this, one has to deal with a very aggressive AI. For instance, top rated Greek armies will by-pass the Julii or the Brutii territories and attack my Scipii Capital not only once but repeatedly. One is forced to leave an entire army as protection behind when one can only afford one army. After a-while, however, it gets boring waiting for the economy to catch up with the needs for a second army and start of the expansion.

TE 4.0 and it seems 5.0 (although it is to early for a final conclusion): It's more like the "vanilla" version. They player and the AI start out with lots of money - early tech-up is possible that benefits the player more than the AI. I never was at one turn in the "red" with my economy. One good thing is the AI is more aggressive (I noticed the invasion of Sicily at several occasions during one campaign). Diplomacy is only good at Medium Campaign Play, at Hard there is only little usefulness for the diplomacy. In general, the balancing favors the player as you can see from some of the posts above (conquering Sicily with a small army in few turns - nothing special; is it?).

Points of discussions:

1. What if prices for buildings would be severely increased? The player and the AI would not be able to tech up that fast; perhaps allowing only the Barbarian tribes to get a better deal. The Romans are favored because of the riches of their cities.
    I would not suggest changing the income for the various regions since that will be extremely difficult and requires a lot of balancing.

2. Increasing unit recruiting cost and upkeep according to regions and income rather than unit by unit performance.

3. Make the rebels more powerful, Sicily is a push-over.

I shall make the changes to point 1. and will report my findings here if this is alright with you.

I like very much the changes made to the units. Like others here on the forum, I appreciate the hard work that went into this Mod for the benefit of all of us. The map used by repman for the BBW is, in my opinion, more attractive (graphics and play related) than the Mundus map; perhaps that is a good alternative, if you look for one.
    Last edited by Fridericus Rex; June 10, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Thank you all for your comments.

Fridericus Rex, my mod does aim to keep the vanilla feel as i do love the vanilla game a lot. Diploamcy problem is to do with ai problems. I know my mod can favour the player, but playing on H/M, or VH/M(medium for battles as VH + H gives unbalancing bonuses to the ai), does even things out more, and the way i have doen things is the best way to improve things without using a script.
    1. The whole point is they tech up fast so you fight tougher armies, the large starting amounts of money are mainly there to help the ai early on.

2. Would require region by region specific units, too hard to do, would take up too many unit slots

3. You seen the rebels on sicily? Half stacks of 3 bronze chevron and some silver chevron hoplitati and prodomoi, hardly a push over.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Adler's Avatar Libertus

Fridericus Rex - there is also the problem that empires like Scythia, Batria & Parthia have trouble getting out of the red whilst maintaing any decent level of military defense. I would recomend you give Bactria a go... I think it will be just your kind of game. You will find that barbs in that area viscious. 4 gold level horse archers toasted my entire Bactrian army stack.
    I have traversed Roman ruins from Israel, Egypt, Greece, Jordan & Italy.

Believe me, playing the game is more fun!

Chris

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

Wooo! Outstanding mod Lusted. Im still at 80MB download though. *salutes*

hey second bit of feedback/comments from me lusted, loving the new campaign map, and as i said i dropped upkeep for soldiers, well seems you were right in the first place haha i put it back up again as with ptolemaios i was making around 10k per turn after all my recruitment/construction (tho i have already got about 18 settlements) -
    im gonna show my ignorance here but i dont notice a huge difference between a.i battle behaviour in this mod and vanilla?? seriously...still dumb a.i running a unit of soldiers at me on their own and them getting turned into swiss cheese by my archers... and whoa..whats up with the phalanx pikemens behaviour inside settlements?? hardly ever keep to a phalanx and dont seem to fight in a phalanx down pathways...i think i heard this is a bug/issue with 1.5 patch???
    oh and as egypt/ptolemaios no longer had a good archer unit,i made cretan archers recruitable from catapult range...sweet!!
    and wow you sure were right about it not taking long to get to 24,000 population!! :wink:
    but other than my little quibbles i think this definately improves upon vanilla,and thats the point mate! thx (plus when i play as barbarian faction next time-that will be a huge improvement over vanilla)

Nice work. Good Mod is this. One question i have. Do you got somthing against JUPITER?

Nothing against him at all, i just picked temples for the romans that gave different bonuses.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Musashi's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks alot Lusted. This mod is just what ive been looking for. I have tryed just about every mod in RTW community has to offer and this is the best. Great units, good gameplay and it runs smoothly.
    Only thing worth *****ing about that I can think of is the money. As allways it seems to me that cities are running out of incomes too easily. I undertand what you said earlier that it's that way to get the number of armyes lower and battles more decicive and I agree that this is good. Still I wish that there could be some other way to just make the incomes more steadily. Incomes should'nt nesseserily have to be high, just steady.

Otherwice it's the greatest mod so far that I have seen. I just found and tryed 4.0 for a few weeks and I liked it too very much but this new 5.0 is just awesome.
    Even if a thousand people believe in a lie, it's still a lie.
    Oh. If you don't understand my english then I'm sorry. I'm just bad at it. Now playing:

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

At 236BC, SPQR. I noticed only one family member is holding office, as quasetor. How does this office ranks work? Should all offices be assigned to the SPQR family?, or is it done as a random event?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    Thanks alot Lusted. This mod is just what ive been looking for. I have tryed just about every mod in RTW community has to offer and this is the best. Great units, good gameplay and it runs smoothly.
    Only thing worth *****ing about that I can think of is the money. As allways it seems to me that cities are running out of incomes too easily. I undertand what you said earlier that it's that way to get the number of armyes lower and battles more decicive and I agree that this is good. Still I wish that there could be some other way to just make the incomes more steadily. Incomes should'nt nesseserily have to be high, just steady.

Otherwice it's the greatest mod so far that I have seen. I just found and tryed 4.0 for a few weeks and I liked it too very much but this new 5.0 is just awesome.
    yeah theres a way to improve income for just your faction or all factions in general, add a slight increase in trade income for trader and all upgrades, and or add more income from shipwright etc.. or even make caravans and upgrades constructable for your faction, or mod your temple if you so choose, i personally usually add a little income bonus for the trader and its upgrades for every faction.

and any ideas about the phalanx pikemens "sloppy awful phalanx" behaviour inside settlements lusted??
    is it due to 1.5 patch?

Gaius Baltar, the offices are assigned based on the influence of a character and how old they are, so if you only have low influence characters they will only get quaestor.

Night_owl, its just problems with pathfiding in cites, and may be due to some aspects of Darths Formations mod. Income is meant to be tough, its meant ot be a challenge, but once you get a steady income, or capture some high income cities you can usually support quite a few armies and things start to get very intertesting.
    Creator of:

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Why isn't the new two handed animations used by the phalanx?.. And you should nerf the berskers! I tried with two units of them, and the murdered a entire Roman army with imperial cohorts! = way overpowered. I like their ablities, but they should be alot easier to kill.

Well to use the new 2 handed animation for the phalanx would entail me redoing every model that uses the phalanx formation to sort out clipping, and i prefer the 1 handed one, though i am fully aware it is completely inaccurate. I would have thought that restricting them to 1 temple that the ai hardly builds would have been enough a reducement, i like having a couple of units like them and the spartans who own everything.
    Creator of:

well i havent tryied te 5 , well i actually stop playing rome couple of weeks ago coz of the little time i had (exams and stuff) , thou i'm donwloadin' te5 now and i wanna see how great it is, i know it's awesome , i'll post my "after play" impressions later

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske
    Why isn't the new two handed animations used by the phalanx?.. And you should nerf the berskers! I tried with two units of them, and the murdered a entire Roman army with imperial cohorts! = way overpowered. I like their ablities, but they should be alot easier to kill.

I have to agree that Bezerkers are WAY TOO POWERFUL. They just crush everything in the early game. I love they way they look and fight, but they just don't die. It's something we the players can alter without much effort. I do look forward to fighting them in my greek game.

About 12 hrs in and only CTD. Excellent work. Improved 4.0 in every way.

Yes beserkers are over powered, but the ai rarely builds them. Its just a fun thing to fight every now and then.
    Creator of:

johnny76's Avatar Civis

Man, now I have to delete my 4.0 campaigns. I am looking foward to playing 5.0 tonight, though. It looks excellent Lusted. Thanks fo your hard work.

Johnny76

Member of S.I.N.