Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter LIX uploaded - Feb 17)

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! Can't wait for the next chapter!

I cant believe that this will soon be over. Without this the Shogun 2 AAR section will basically be a graveyard, except for the one other living AAR here.

After this is done you must do another AAR. Just kidding, no pressure. Asking for more of something too good would be wrong. Besides, you deserve a good break, having worked on this for about a year and a half.

The semi-finale was great, as usual, and I know the finale will be AWESOME! Surely you plan on having an epolouge?

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos2488 View Post
    Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! Can't wait for the next chapter!
    I'm growing sentimental with these last chapters. Progress has been slower than expected. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    I cant believe that this will soon be over. Without this the Shogun 2 AAR section will basically be a graveyard, except for the one other living AAR here.

After this is done you must do another AAR. Just kidding, no pressure. Asking for more of something too good would be wrong. Besides, you deserve a good break, having worked on this for about a year and a half.

The semi-finale was great, as usual, and I know the finale will be AWESOME! Surely you plan on having an epolouge?
    Ahhhh yes, that concerns me as well, but you never know what might happen.

I do plan for an epilogue, yes.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    I'm growing sentimental with these last chapters. Progress has been slower than expected. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
    Oh I am sure it would be worth the wait. Just take your precious time writing to gloriously end this phenomenal AAR!
    "I know you. I can see right through you. You're swearing now that one day you will destroy me. Remember, far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Come look at them now."
    -Atia

Ahh i've returned to this with many new chapters! Makes for great reading while installing shogun 2 on my new computer (max graphics! yes!)

But I came back to find out that it's almost over!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonidas View Post
    Ahh i've returned to this with many new chapters! Makes for great reading while installing shogun 2 on my new computer (max graphics! yes!)

But I came back to find out that it's almost over!
    Welcome back.

It's almost over, but hopefully that means you're about to read the best bit.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Chapter LX: Kagemusha

1565 – Spring

It was time.

The winds blew across the open Hachimanbara plains, carrying sheets of rain in the ominous morning tempest that left the skies a dark shade of cobalt. This was no weather for a battle, but both sides knew that enough time had been wasted over the impasse of the past days. A resolution was long overdue, and even as the rainwater cascaded over the red lacquer over my shoulders I did my best to focus on the task at hand. The blood our enemies would appease the rain gods that unleashed this deluge upon us, I hoped.

This was no victory parade. There would be no rousing speech from my brother besides the cursory words uttered as we departed camp. There was none of the pomp and ceremony that usually accompanied such occasions. Across the incline we stood upon, there was absolute silence to the last man, and only the flutter of our banners broke the deathly ceaseless torrent. Each of us had seen many of his kinsmen die upon these very fields in the past days, and it was obvious what had to be done. Many would not see the morning sun again, we knew, but the meaning of such a sacrifice was lost on nobody. Weariness could be seen upon many faces, but determination was short in none. Twenty thousand men marched from Matsumoto castle, yet just over half stood here in these fields now. Our respects to the deceased had been brief, but were a sobering experience for all involved. There would be no room for error today. That much was clear to all present. It was time to stand up and be counted as warriors, to account for the honour of one's name, one's family. The Uesugi would prove to be mighty opponents, but the fate of our clan and all those whom we love and depended on us was at stake. Failure was simply unfathomable.

As Yukitaka had intimated the night before, his regiment of cavalry were deployed on the left of our formation, adjacent to my customary position. Silently I thanked Kansuke for his backing. My brother would not have approved if he had known the full reasoning behind the move, but his acquiescence was as necessary as it was unwitting. The support of old Yukitaka was an honour, but also a essential in the face of the Kuruma Gakari. I felt sure my stratagem would deliver us victory, but with such a mighty foe before us an insurance policy was more than welcome. Even at an age when most men would be happy to tend to their dwindling days, perhaps lamenting the inevitable, the Sanada patriarch was still a force of nature to be reckoned with on the battlefield. His aid would be crucial, I felt. Awaiting the signal for the advance, I could not help but glance towards the satchel behind me. A part of me hoped that it would not be required, but it was difficult to imagine Kenshin would simply gift us victory. The Uesugi were mere silhouettes through the torrential rain, but there was mistake as to the magnitude of the challenge which faced us.

The rasping tone of the battle horns blared out over the plains, and our formation made its way forward en masse – first archers, then the yari, the cavalry to either side. My plan required us to take the fight to the Uesugi, so I was glad Kansuke had reached the same conclusion. As the infantry shuffled forward I signalled for my bodyguard to peel off to the left. Yukitaka’s regiment followed, and we advanced at a distance that allowed us to remain shielded by the downpour. The Uesugi army was a mere shadow in the inclement weather, but as the two sides neared it was clear Kenshin had prepared well. As the two waves of infantry met, a row of heavily armoured swordsmen made their way forward through the Uesugi lines, and despite the valour of the Kanto samurai, the ensuing melee became quickly deadlocked. Blue and red were evenly matched in almost every sense, and the fighting rumbled on, turning the grassy surface into an increasingly muddy mire. From the vantage points of our horses we could see the action as it ebbed to and fro. Numerous brave men were lost, but neither side could hold the initiative for long.

Circling the perimeter of the battlefield, we searched for an entry point. Despite the chaos of battle the circular Uesugi formation had held firm, and it was only after some time that we found a unit of archers which had strayed too far from protection. Turning sharply I signalled to Yukitaka, who yelled his agreement. The rain had acted as effected cover, and as we ploughed through the unsuspecting enemy, several men were sent flying. The Sanada cavalry made similarly light work of the lightly armoured infantry surrounding them, and for a moment I felt perhaps victory was at hand. The thought passed quickly however. I could see several regiments of Uesugi yari responding to our incursion, and knowing little advantage could be garnered by taking on such men, I signalled for our men to pull back.

Time passed by in a confused blur as we made charge after charge in the torrential rain. The enemy had been weakened somewhat, but our own losses were no less significant. Kenshin had been forced to react to our movements for the most part, but our plan to dislodge him from the Kuruma Gakari had failed utterly. Each time we penetrated the Uesugi lines Kenshin would find a way to resist our breakthrough, much to my chagrin. Pulling back from one particular sortie into the Uesugi ranks I turned to see just three dozen horsemen following Yukitaka and myself. A quick glance at the infantry brought sobering news. The ball of melee that had amassed in the centre of the battlefield had swallowed what must have been hundreds of men, yet it stood on the same spot it had materialised upon several hours prior. Nobufusa still towered above all around him, wielding his blade with a crazed abandon, but those around him were fewer in number now, and lower in spirits. If anything the Uesugi had begun to wrestle the initiative from us. As I signalled to Yukitaka I could not help but feel an air of inevitability about our situation.

My brother would not thank me for defying him, but at present I feared the proceedings were beyond even his control.

Finding refuge in a patch of forest on the left flank, I dismounted and opened the satchel attached to my saddle. The trees were thick enough to shade us from the rain, and our distance from the battle permitted an oddly peaceful moment. The rain had penetrated the outer layers of cloth, and the pristine horse hair had been dyed a dirty shade of grey by the rainwater. Allowing one of my bodyguards to fasten the laces of my new kabuto, I took a moment to admire the red jinbaori coat I had obtained when the camp guards turned a blind eye. Gold embroidery lined the edges of the garment, and four characters were embedded in the stitching of the front. The characters were easily recognisable, and embodied everything that our clan and our army stood for. They underpinned every battle my brother and I had fought.

Wind. Forest. Fire. Mountain.

A keen eye would still have been able to spot the flaws in my disguise, but the last I had met Kenshin in person had been years ago, and I was confident the device would not suffer for my lack of preparation. Nodding firmly to Yukitaka, I mounted my horse. As I did however the intense pain in my chest returned to me, and I felt a surge of nauseating, noxious liquid rising through my innards. Forcing my mind to block out the agony I signalled for the men to advance. This was no time to worry about personal matters.

Onward.

Leaving the shelter of the trees, my eardrums were instantly filled with the cacophony of noise that seemed to return from all angles. The Uesugi had focused their attack on our centre now, and only the valour of our best samurai prevented a rout. Scanning the horizon my heart skipped a beat when the unmistakable white banner of Uesugi Kenshin caught my eye. Barely suppressing my excitement I urged my horse forward. The Sanada cavalry rode alongside. Even as we sped forward past enemy lines I could see the Uesugi soldiers turn in surprise. To my surprise and joy the single white banner which marked my target seemed to reciprocate my movement – soon I would be upon the one man who stood between us and our destiny, I told myself.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have been surprised, but as the distance closed between myself and the Uesugi daimyo, a regiment of yari appeared seemingly out of nowhere, running at full tilt in a frantic attempt to delay our progress. For a moment I was caught in two minds, but before I could utter a word Yukitaka and his cavalry had already peeled off from our present trajectory. I yelled out, hoping he would not embark on such a fool’s errand, but the old samurai merely raised an arm in salute. I watched as he plunged into the Uesugi ranks, riding at full speed with weapon fully extended. The small band of cavalry behind him soon disappeared into the mass of yari and blue-clad samurai. I bit my lips, and felt a bead of warmth as it trickled down the side of my nose. Before my emotions could simmer however, a more lifting sight entered my eyes.

The Uesugi daimyo was renowned as an expert swordsman, and his attacks came thick and fast. The flowing white gown tumbling over his shoulders was heavy with rain, but his agility suffered little for it. Men battled all around us, but few dared come close to the duel unfolding in their midst. The clang of our swords was accompanied by occasional grunts of exertion as both men tried desperately to gain the upper hand. For my part, the opportunity to defeat the Uesugi was too much to simply ignore, and while careful parrying was required on occasion, I countered with just as much aggression. In between strokes of our blades I tried my best to observe my opponent’s attacks – most had come from the right, as expected, but from time to time he would feign from the opposite direction. As he did so again and again I felt increasingly certain that his guard was weakest on the left hand side. The rain continued to batter down upon the sodden field, and raindrops the size of peas ran down our faces, splattering in all directions as arms flailed and blades clashed. Strike after strike, parry after parry, the duel continued apace. I tried to take advantage of the opening I had spotted, but each time my strikes were met with the metal of Kenshin’s sword. Stealing peeks in between strikes I saw that my challenge of the Uesugi daimyo had already begun to have the desired effect on the battle. Where a perfect perimeter stood moments earlier, edges and flanks had begun to emerge in the Uesugi ranks. Headed by Yamagata Masakage, our cavalry on the right flank had begun to impose themselves upon the battle, picking off the Uesugi infantry where stragglers had fallen away from the main lines. Just as I had begun to feel optimistic about our chances, however, the sharp pain in my abdomen suddenly returned. Doubling up with the agony I could do nothing as thick wads of crimson exploded through my clenched teeth. I feared the worst…

…and sure enough, a bolt of agony shot through my side as cold steel sliced through armour and flesh alike. I instinctively grabbed hold of the katana blade protruding from my midriff. Try as he might my grip meant Kenshin could not retrieve his blade. Was I hoping that someone would exploit the Uesugi daimyo’s prone position? Or perhaps I knew the next strike would be my last? It mattered little – I could feel blood spilling from the wound, and sensed energy draining away from me. Gasping for air, I undid the laces of my brother’s kabuto, which fell with a thud onto the surrounding grass. Bizarrely, I felt the force on Kenshin’s katana loosening.

“What…what sorcery is this?”

“Kenshin-tono…” I panted in between words, and each word felt like it cut into my very soul, but was determined to stall my opponent for as long as possible. “Your tactics are admirable, to say the least, but it depends entirely on your leadership. For all your brilliance…you share my brother’s…obsession with destiny. Removing you from command therefore was the best way…perhaps only way…to defeat you. It’s a shame I won’t see the fruits of our victory…but it is our legacy which will live on now…”

My words caused Kenshin’s head to turn abruptly. Seeing my opportunity I pulled my wakizashi from its sheath. My view of my adversary was failing, but what light that still shined through my eyes guided my blade towards the gap above Kenshin’s chest armour. My arms were weak now, and I could only hope for the best as I pushed with as much force as I could muster. A mix of relief and elation filled me as I felt the blade cut through bone and flesh.

And then there was darkness.

Mochizuki Takamasa, or Nobumasa for the past day, rubbed his eyes wearily. Nobushige-sama had insisted he depart before daybreak, and presently man and horse were stood on the banks of the Shinano River, awaiting the boatman appointed to take him to Matsumoto castle. Trepidation and regret still filled his mind, but duty to his master demanded he forgo the final battle with the Uesugi. Being adopted into the ruling Takeda clan was a great honour for obvious reasons, but he could not help but feel short changed. Presently an elderly boatman was rowing his craft towards the river bank. The journey to Matsumoto would take no more than a few hours, he knew, and soon perhaps he would be far away from the edge of Shinano to worry about what he was missing. As the old man tied his boat to a stump on the river’s edge, Takamasa felt relief that he was at last going to be out of the ceaseless rain at least. As he boarded the boat he could not help but ask the old man the question that had plagued him since the night before.

“Boatman, what would you choose, between obeying your master and fulfilling your dream as a warrior?”

The old boatman looked up from beneath his straw kasa, staring at Takasama with empty eyes. Takamasa berated himself, feeling sure he had asked the wrong person, but no sooner had the thought entered his mind did the boatman open his mouth.

“Obey my master...”

The young samurai looked disappointed at the old man’s answer, but reasoned that the advice was the correct one. He was immensely surprised therefore when the ragged voice spoke again.

“…but I am a simple peasant. You, Nobumasa-sama, are a samurai, and to obey your master is to fight for him in battle. Nobushige-sama orders you home because he fears a loss in the coming battle – yet what difference would it make if all of the clan’s best men perish?”

The young samurai felt a buzz between his ears. The old man was right of course, and had it not been for Nobushige-sama’s typical cautiousness there would not have been a decision to make. Feeling adrenalin coursing through his veins he placed a hand in the way of the boatman who was in the process of hauling his horse onto the small vessel. He thanked the boatman before climbing back onto his horse. Looking in the direction of Hachimanbara, Takamasa felt great shame at the prospect of disobeying his master, and apologised silently. Perhaps his valour would redeem his disobedience, he hoped. Jumping onto his mount he spurred his horse firmly, hoping desperately that the animal would take him to the battle in time. He could feel the fatigue in his horse as the pair sped forward, but there was little to be done. He would rest the horse before charging into battle, but not before, he decided. Trees and shrubs around him flew back in a blur all around him. He would make a mark on the battle, Takamasa promised himself as he pictured the battle ahead.

Pausing a moment upon a hill, Takamasa looked down upon the mayhem beneath him. Both armies were mired in a chaotic melee, and although the Takeda cavalry danced around the Uesugi ranks, there was little real penetration visible. Grippping his yari tightly Takamasa braced himself, and sped down the incline towards the battlefield. As he approached he looked left and right in search for his master, but Nobushige-sama was nowhere to be found. Seeing a gap between two units of swordsmen he kicked back on his horse, and sliced through the two men nearest to him. Immediately Uesugi samurai surrounded the lone intruder. Fuelled partly by adrenaline and partly by raw determination, Takamasa wielded his yari with fluency. The first man approached from the left, and was dispatched with a sweeping attack. The second was put off balance with the butt of his weapon, and dispatched quickly as he fell backwards. A third managed to pierce the flimsy tabi he wore up to his ankles, but even as he grunted in of pain, Takamasa found the strength to impale the offending enemy soldier. Heads and arms were sent flying as his yari ghosted around in wide arcs. For every man he felled though it seemed as if many would stand forth to take his place, and his sense of orientation was beginning to fade. More times enemy weapons would penetrate his defences, and the wounds would sting as rainwater washed over them. Still he carried on, clenching his teeth whenever the pain became unbearable.

All of a sudden, Takamasa realised the Uesugi soldiers around him were abandoning him, instead sprinting towards the far end of the battlefield. Bewildered, he looked in the direction they were running in, and instantly spotted the duel which was happening in the distance. He had seen Shingen-sama’s kabuto numerous times – the sheer red jinbaori coat was equally unmistakable. The gargantuan white banner, adorned with the “ryu” character in dark blue”, meanwhile was something he recognised as ubiquitous with the Uesugi daimyo. Shouting words of encouragement over the noise of the rain, he urged his horse forwards. Perhaps he would yet make a decisive contribution to this battle, he hoped…

“Shingen-sama! The Uesugi are breaking!”

Takeda Shingen lurched forward in his seat. For much of the battle it had looked like the Uesugi had an upper hand, but as he surveyed the battlefield now it was clear a reversal had taken place. The entire enemy formation was in disarray now, and Masakage’s cavalry on the right were having their way against the straggling Uesugi soldiers. He didn’t fully comprehend what had brought about such a spectacular turn of events. Frantically summoning Kansuke, Shingen blurted out his orders with as little composure as he’d remembered.

“Quick! Order an all out attack – Masakage should circle to the enemy’s rear. Nobufusa will lead the infantry assault from the south…and Nobushige and Yukitaka will complete the envelope from the other side!”

Kansuke dutifully took his daimyo’s first two sets of commands, but then stuttered slightly before quickly adjusting himself. As he turned to leave the Takeda gunshi took a long, worrisome look towards the battlefield before rushing off to brief the various messengers. Shingen meanwhile motioned for his horse to be brought forth. Climbing onto the tall stallion, he kicked back firmly, and promptly sped down the incline the Takeda main camp was placed upon. His bodyguard followed in pursuit – the sight of the Uesugi retreating placed the scent of victory within all, and each man rode with weapons at the ready.

Shingen pulled up his horse on a gentle hill in the middle of the battlefield. The enemy had been scattered, and the Takeda daimyo could afford to admire the strength his men had exhibited. As he did so though, the sight of a young samurai entered into his line of sight. Both rider and horse were covered from head to toe in blood and filth – epitomising the exertion afforded this day, Shingen thought. Taking a closer look though, he was stunned to see the object the boy had in his hands. Two long tufts of horse hair had been dyed a muddy shade of dark red, but there was no mistaking the identity of the magnificent object.

“Where did you get this? What is your name, boy?!”

By the time his words fell silent Shingen found himself close enough to see the trails of smudged tears streaming from the corners of the young man’s eyes. They had just won a great victory, but it was evident the boy had suffered a tragic loss in the process.

“My name is Mochizuki Takamasa, Shingen-sama. I serve under the house of your brother Nobushige-sama as a member of his bodyguard.”

Shingen’s mind raced. He recalled the conversation with Nobushige about adopting a member of his household. The boy had excelled in his duty, and would make a good example for little Nobutoyo, Nobushige had said. Was this the individual he had been talking about? If so what did that kabuto – worn by Takeda daimyo since before his time – represent? How did a simple cavalryman come into the possession of such an object?

“I fought as hard as I could, Shingen-sama, but my swordsmanship was lacking, and…”

Shingen felt a frigid chill obliterating his senses, and the young samurai’s words faded into nothingness. The numerous conversations with his brother about utilising a shadow warrior flashed before his eyes as the remaining Uesugi were chased from the field. Each time he had replied in the negative, stressing his scepticism of such a ruse. His brother had defied him in the most severe way possible, but without that a victory would arguably not have been possible this day. Looking into the distance the Takeda daimyo released a sigh of deep sadness. Perhaps Nobushige was right, and that he had indeed been overly burdened by thoughts of legacy. He had gained hegemony over the entire country, yet in doing so he had lost the one thing that was more significant.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 07, 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter LX uploaded - March 8)

Such a good ending I read it twice.... (double post!)

which felt with a thud onto the surrounding grass.
    fell maybe?

A sombre, moving, brilliant update, but I'm glad to have been here for its end. The writing is as ever great, and just... wow what a great AAR! Shame I joined rather late on but glad I did.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Robin Sama-no-suke Tenkyu de Bodemloze!

Such a deep and moving chapter in the marvellous story. I'm almost tearing up. Almost. Awesomely written as always .

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Wow, it's actually over. It's been a pleasure reading this AAR, ever since I had nothing to do on vacation, to now.

Is this really the end? But...my fan girling days are over now, I guess.

I love this chapter, it was beautiful, it was epic, it was moving. I think I'm going to cry now.
    If this is the end, then I want you, Robin, to write another AAR!(no pressure) HAHAHAHAHAHA
    "I know you. I can see right through you. You're swearing now that one day you will destroy me. Remember, far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Come look at them now."
    -Atia

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Such a good ending I read it twice.... (double post!)

fell maybe?

A sombre, moving, brilliant update, but I'm glad to have been here for its end. The writing is as ever great, and just... wow what a great AAR! Shame I joined rather late on but glad I did.

+rep
    Thanks for following all this time...and thank you as always for pointing out my ineptitude with proofreading. You have one last chance to do that in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiro de Bodemloze View Post
    Robin Sama-no-suke Tenkyu de Bodemloze!

Such a deep and moving chapter in the marvellous story. I'm almost tearing up. Almost. Awesomely written as always .
    Thank you. We're almost at the part you've been waiting for - where I reveal my inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonidas View Post
    Wow, it's actually over. It's been a pleasure reading this AAR, ever since I had nothing to do on vacation, to now.
    Aye. I am writing a short epilogue, so there is a little bit yet, but we're almost there now. Hope my little tale has been a worthy distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos2488 View Post
    Is this really the end? But...my fan girling days are over now, I guess.

I love this chapter, it was beautiful, it was epic, it was moving. I think I'm going to cry now.
    If this is the end, then I want you, Robin, to write another AAR!(no pressure) HAHAHAHAHAHA
    You can keep fangirling if you'd like.

About another AAR...we'll see.

Anyhow, yes, there will be an epilogue which hopefully won't take too long. Next few days maybe.

Epilogue: Sakura

I watched silently from a distance. The wisps of silky hair drifted slowly onto the pale tatami, swaying lazily in the gentle morning wind. Caressing the girl’s flowing locks had been one of my most cherished pastimes, and seeing the bare skin of her scalp filled me with a harrowing sense of sorrow. Even as the soft strands fell all around her, Masako remained motionless. Remaining true to her noble roots, the girl sat tall without as much as a flinch. Her sculpted cheeks were the picture of serenity as old Fuyutsugu read her the requisite religious texts from afar, but a thin glistening trail of moisture along her nose told me everything I needed to know. Masako had cost me just thirty pieces of silver once, and although I was slow to realise my feelings for the simple maidservant I’d been gifted with – I’d been dismissive of her on more than one occasion – she had since woven herself into every facet of my being. From the heady days of the Tokaido campaigns to the short-lived tranquillity on the shores of Lake Biwa, she had left her mark on every precious moment still alive in my memory. As the last of the silky fibres fell towards the floor I extended a hand instinctively, but could only look on helplessly as the dark silk slipped through my outstretched fingers and onto the straw flooring. The emptiness was as overwhelming as it was suffocating, but little could be done now. Masako had always despised the battles we fought, arguing they bred nothing but more death and destruction. She was right of course, but our victory at Kawanakajima – achieved at a great cost but no less – had achieved what none thought possible. For centuries our clan had fought to preserve our very existence, and yet upon that muddy quagmire we stood on the cusp of what was surely lasting peace for not just ourselves but every man living in these lands. Perhaps that end would please Masako – even at the expense of the means it took to reach it? Her pain at my deteriorating health was plain to see, and her tears ripped at the depths of my soul even as darkness fell all around. Perhaps what I gained in exchange for my failing well-being was worth what it had achieved, at least in her mind? Nothing else mattered now in honesty.

In one corner of the ceremonial hall, Nobumasa stood dutifully, watching as the old monk completed the sombre ceremony. I could not blame him for crossing my instructions that day – I’d likely have done no different. It pleased me that he had at least taken well to his new role within my household. Promoting an unknown Shinano boy after a strong show in battle seemed like a foolhardy decision at the time, but in the meantime Nobumasa took to his expanding array of roles like a fish to water. Seeing him mature had granted me a sense of fulfilment I hadn’t envisaged in one of my men, and I was glad that, as my days came to a hex, he was able to assume the duties I could no longer fulfil. With both Otsu and Osaka under his governance in addition to the family titles I left behind, respect from the rest of the clan was not going to be an issue. Nonetheless seeing Harunobu express his appreciation for the boy’s efforts was a welcome development. Nobumasa was an excellent rider, and was equipped with a brave spirit and a level mind. I had decided that he would make an excellent example for little Nobutoyo, and I remained confident in my decision since. Not seeing the little one grow up into a man was a tremendous source of pity, but I hoped at least I was leaving him in capable hands…

The sights of red-clad cavalry running down their enemies, the sounds of dying men expelling their last utterances of agony – none of these were novel experiences. Inescapable however was the fact that it was Kasugayama itself that was ablaze in the distance. I had visited this home of the Uesugi clan once with Harunobu, but the behemoth that stood before us was a far cry from the wooden structure we braved as brothers. It had taken several long, hard years, but the Uesugi were finally no more. Hegemony over all Japan was finally ours, and peace would finally upon this cursed land. The century of the country at war was finally at an end, and we had survived it as victors. Masakage was his usual majestic self, gliding across the battlefield with deadly grace, scything through the fleeing enemy soldiers with ease. The Sanada brothers had evolved into the mainstay of the Takeda infantry over time, and were the bedrock of these latter campaigns. Old Yukitaka – wherever he may be – was the master of the yari during my days, but Masayuki’s proficiency with the weapon now would have made his father proud. As peace befalls these lands, the samurai class would slowly give way to those better capable of administration and counting coin. But even then the likes of these men would remind future generations of the Takeda of their true roots – as fighters, as champions, as conquerors of all Japan.

Harunobu, for his part, was sat in his usual position, tessen in hand. But instead of his customary calm, my brother could be seen leaning ever-so-slightly further forward than usual. The sense of anticipation was plain to see, etched across the lines on his face. It had been a long, hard road to victory, and many of our brothers – both in blood and in arms – had been lost. But finally we had arrived at what we had fought so hard for. I often chastised Harunobu for his obsession with destiny, but perhaps I was wrong, and he was right, for here he was ready to seize it with both hands. He had taken the position of daimyo from father years ago, but in truth in doing so he had heralded in an age of unparalleled success for our family. Merely three decades ago we were confined to our homeland of Kai, yet now Takeda banners flew over the Seta Bridge and all the provinces that surrounded it. We were a lowly mountain clan once, and yet now Harunobu was Shogun, and we Takeda were masters of all that the morning sun shined upon.

I felt my senses fading from me. Soon all would be at an end, I knew. I had seen all that I wanted to see, and there was little left for me in this world. As the last vestiges of my consciousness vanished into nothingness, I pondered the imponderable. If there was indeed another life, as the likes of Fuyutsugu so often liked to preach, what would become of me? Would I relive the honour of this life past – or would I be an ordinary peasant like all those who had given their lives so we could proclaim our present glories? Would Masako again hold the keys to my soul – or would I spend a lifetime searching for my lady? Or perhaps I would live on in the creations of scribes – as some sort of artistic representation – and perhaps others could be inspired to recall the lives we once lived? Perhaps Masako and I would meet again that way? There were so many questions, yet so little time left. There was little I could do now besides resolutely embrace whatever fate had in stall for me. After all, what was the way of the samurai but the resolute acceptance of death – and destiny?

Goodbye, my love.

I, Takeda Nobushige, was the brother of our daimyo. Father had intimated that I assume that position instead, but what is past is gone now. Harunobu had been a good daimyo and a caring brother to Nobukado and myself, as well as a legendary leader of the famed Takeda army. Compared to the minutiae of which brother would be daimyo, the fortunes of our clan were ultimately more important. To have served it was my greatest honour, in life and in glorious death.

– END –
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed - March 8)

So...that's it then. Suffice to say this AAR has taken up a far bigger proportion of my life than I had expected. Eighteen months, 400 something replies and over 40,000 views later I am still surprised and moved by all the attention and feedback that this has been getting. All of these have been so far in excess of my expectations it seems somewhat surreal. I'll do a full after thoughts post and some proper thank-you's, but I hope you've enjoyed this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. I can't help but feel a feeling of sadness now that this is over, but perhaps I am being overly melodramatic. Anyhow...

Thank you all for reading. As one last offering I'll leave you with something that inspired me when I was most short of creativity. I hope you like it.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed - March 16)

Glorious!

I'd love to mention once again how you have a way with words, the genuine, great words you use. You can use almost latin words in a piece about Japanese warriors and make it sound as if it was made for the story. That, I think is what I love the absolute most about your work .

Now I wonder, what happened to that attendant? I seem to recall he was named Nobutada? I hope he found honour and a good, brave death.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Your writing style is very immersive, I felt like I was watching a movie in 3D.
    The end has come at last.

I would love to see another AAR from you in the future, but I guess you need a rest. So, how about a Rome 2 AAR in the future?
    -Atia

Civis

That was simply an amazing read. It's so gratifying, yet sad to this had to come to a close, but I'm glad i was able to enjoy it! Thanks greatly for all your work and effort!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Sadly I couldn't see anything that needed correcting.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Heiro de Bodemloze View Post
    Glorious!

I'd love to mention once again how you have a way with words, the genuine, great words you use. You can use almost latin words in a piece about Japanese warriors and make it sound as if it was made for the story. That, I think is what I love the absolute most about your work .

Now I wonder, what happened to that attendant? I seem to recall he was named Nobutada? I hope he found honour and a good, brave death.
    Thanks for following all this time. Latin words eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserina Kratos View Post
    Your writing style is very immersive, I felt like I was watching a movie in 3D.
    The end has come at last.

I would love to see another AAR from you in the future, but I guess you need a rest. So, how about a Rome 2 AAR in the future?
    Thank you. One of the first goals I had when I started out was to create something believable and not just battle-battle-battle, so it's good to hear that.

Having said that...I hate 3D movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099 View Post
    That was simply an amazing read. It's so gratifying, yet sad to this had to come to a close, but I'm glad i was able to enjoy it! Thanks greatly for all your work and effort!
    Good to see you again. Thanks for all your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post

Sadly I couldn't see anything that needed correcting.
    That's not sad at all.

Afterthoughts: The ramblings of an accidental writer

2013 - Spring

So...here we are. I promised I would make a behind the scenes post, so voilŕ. This is being written after a healthy dose of drink, so hopefully the right words will follow readily. Forgive me if they flow a little too readily - this is me speaking as candidly as possible, so the tone won't be the measured style of the last 150,000 words, for better or worse.

First the thank you's.

Regardless of whether this AAR has been a success or not (arguably it has in some ways while failing miserably in others, more of that later), when I started this AAR in September 2011 never in my wildest dreams would I have thought it would take up 18 months of my life. I started this tale in the midst of falling out of love with my old job, and the characters I created - in their own way - got me through five tedious months until my perpetual state of not giving a toss led to me receiving a healthy pay-off and my marching orders. The story got me through the dark days of my excessive self-reflection during unemployment, and upon getting a new job, sustained my love of writing even as I churned out 50,000 words of technical writing (on cars, which isn't the worst thing to write about, but nonetheless) for my new employers.

For all of that to have happened I owe a great many thank-you's to various people:

Nordic Hussar - without your first comment this AAR quite possibly would never have gotten off the ground. You haven't been active since December 2011, but I am indebted to your support all the same. Hope you are well in that slightly phallic part of the world.
    Radzeer, Il Mentore, Rogue Bodemloze - I PM'ed you out of being unsure of the quality of my work. I read through the exact same PM recently, and looking back the confidence it inspired in me fuelled my motivation to continue. Your innumerable pieces of advice hence has undoubtedly made this a more polished work than it otherwise would have been. You needn't have done anything for a stranger messaging you from the opposite end of the world, yet you did, and I am grateful for the beautiful friendship that has blossomed since. Egészségedre! (Sans the clinking, as I recently learnt..!)
    Shankbot de Bodemloze, friend, and for the best part of a year brothers in arms - thank you for all the rep, support and your ceaseless exposing of my poor proofreading..!
    Boustrophedon, colleague, friend, and source of my Belgian booze - at some point early on you decided to rep me with dependable regularity. Looking back the motivation they gave me - the sense that someone cared about and appreciated my work was invaluable. Thank you.
    Heiro de Bodemloze, son, protégé in some sense - thank you for the support a constructive conversations we had on Nobutada. More on that later.
    Erwin Rommel, Echizen no Kami, Mutsu no Kami, Date Dokuganryu-sama - thank you for your various tips early on, and for filling my AAR with multiple doses of otaku goodness.
    Akaie, a.k.a. Anton III, a.k.a. Ukita Bizen no Kami Akaie - thank you for teaching me the intricacies of Warscape modding that made many of the later chapters possible.
    Grimecraft, Ravenclaw2099, ♔The Black Knight♔, Geoffrey of Villehardouin, Kaiserina Kratos, long time supporters of mine - thank you for popping back in every now and then. It is always good to see an old friend, and your comments were no different.

Honestly speaking there are so many more people I should be thanking. Everyone who took the time to comment over the past year and a half - thank you. It's no exaggeration when I say seeing new comments on my AAR were a source of excitement. Everyone who took the time to read this work of questionable quality - thank you..!

My motivation for starting an AAR.

To boil things down to simplicity, I decided upon an AAR having read two magnificent pieces of writing - Primus Inter Pares by one Radzeer, and the Pagan Vengeance by Skantarios. Both were enormous sources of inspiration over time, but in my typically stubborn, possibly over-confident, quite possibly drunken state, I decided I could go one better. I decided quite early on I could not match the complex political intrigue of Primus (which was glorious on a level I could only aspire to, while at the same time made my head hurt), but I felt I could add an emotional aspect to the battle action inscribed in Skantarios' piece. One September afternoon at work I penned the opening post of this AAR.

The evolution of this AAR.

The prologue of this AAR contained an image of the campaign. For better or worse that was the last time that happened. I rather quickly decided the campaign map, complete with figurines towering the landscape, was detracting to immersion and was therefore not the way forward. Every one of the 400 odd images since has been a screenshot of a battle, or a scene constructed from a battle. I started with three distinct sizes of frames for the screenshots - a regular one, a wide one, and a tall one. Over time - out of laziness or otherwise - I decided a single frame would suffice. Looking back the discipline imposed by a single image size not only made the chapters seem neater, they imposed a certain requirement in terms of composition. If I were to start another AAR that would likely be something I reprise.

The haiku - I put haiku in front of every "book" if you hadn't noticed! - I thought they added a bit of Japanese flavour to the whole text, but admittedly I didn't stick too closely to them in my writing. I hope people noticed/thought they were worthwhile.

In terms of graphics, starting out I selected a number of "air shots" which showed the entire army formation. They showed my tactics best, I thought, but over time I realised such camera angles were unauthentic. There were no hot-air balloons in Sengoku Japan, so a view from ground level could improve realism, I decided. Every shot since that decision was taken with the perspective of someone taken into perspective - be it Nobushige, another character, or some imaginary soldier. Some were wide angle shots, some were close-ups - either way.

vs.

Over time, especially in the latter chapters, I found myself depending more and more on custom battles and less and less upon campaign battles. The former afforded a certain freedom that wasn't available with the latter, and my attention had turned to creating authentic screenshots rather than staying faithful to my game. I stopped reproducing campaign maps for the reason. Realm divide was admittedly more chaotic than I had anticipated, and while I could handle the in-game circumstances adequately - I established fairly solid lines of defence that were fairly solid - full stacks defending high tier castles at Osaka, Tamba, Wakasa, my best men on the Uesugi border, stacks of boats to ward off naval invasions by the Ito or Chosokabe, etc - I increasingly felt following the campaign made for an increasingly unrealistic storyline. I could have probably stuck it out and remained faithful to the campaign, but the opportunity for storytelling that the Uesugi presented was too tempting, and I opted for the fate/destiny angle between two legendary warriors. Was I still writing an AAR after my break from the campaign? Or was my story simply one decorated with images from the game? To this day I don't have a definite answer, but I hope the end result redeems my choice. Suggestions to the contrary are welcome.

Characters - and their inspiration.

• Nobushige - perhaps the obvious one to start explaining? As much as I advocate thinking in character I actually don't think my protagonist was based on my person. His calmness was one I could never muster in real life given the right stimulants (Manchester United, for example). Erwin Rommel had suggested a contrast between Nobushige and his brother, and I took it from there. The Shingen/Nobushige dynamic in Kagemusha was one I tried to emulate in some ways - the thinking man versus the fiery total warrior. The decision to write the ending that I did was decided partly by history - Nobushige died at Kawanakajima - but also my realisation that I had made the Takeda an invincible meat grinder, and that a touch of tragedy would help balance things. Perhaps there was too much foreshadowing in the end, but I didn't want my main character's death to come as a complete surprise.
    • Shingen - more single-minded than Nobushige, a legendary commander. A real life friend who had read my work said Shingen was closer to the real me, while Nobushige was a persona I aspired towards. Perhaps?
    • Masako - the name was inspired by one Hojo Masako - one of the most prominent women in Japanese history. The substance was inspired by not just a person, but a single unforgettable moment earlier on in life. A brief 20 minutes encapsulated everything I craved in life, and in turn everything Masako stood for. Thank you, my angel, I am forever indebted.
    • Takamasa - inspired by Heiro's Nobutada story, where a young Samurai rose through the Takeda ranks - and the various conversations we had. Also inspired by the Stephen Pressfield book Alexander. Good spot mclorie! The name was inspired by one Mochizuki Nobumasa - real life son of Nobushige - hence the adoption and name change at the end.
    • Kenshin - I had a friend here called Ying, who hasn't visited in almost a year now. Her knowledge of Sengoku Japan was unrivalled on the site, and played muse to much of my depiction of the Uesugi. My Kenshin probably isn't the most historical. Instead it could be said that my character was almost entirely based on her representation of the man (woman?). Her return would make me a very happy man indeed. Alas.

On the whole, my writing was massively influenced by one Akira Kurosawa. Kagemusha is perhaps my favourite Japanese movie, and the ending was certainly a tribute to it. Ran, Ten to chi to, Rashomon, the Seven Samurai - each great movies, each influencing my writing in subtle ways. Some of my hints were spotted, some were not. Ah well.

I'd always wanted a Takeda-Uesugi ending, to be honest, and luckily the game was kind enough to oblige. The rivalry between the Dragon of Echigo and the Tiger of Kai has fascinated me for a long time, and to be able to add my own interpretation to it was an honour if nothing else.

EI-EI-OHHH!

Memorable chapters

Each in their own way these are my favourites I suppose, both writing them and reading in retrospect. For what it's worth:

• XIX: The Kanazawa letters - an experiment using the letter format to tell the relationship between Takanaga - a character the game had given me - and his father. I was pleased with the outcome not only because of the warm reception but also because I felt it had helped create two usable characters which I left largely untouched until later in the story. The second image I was rather proud of, too.
    • XXIII: Furinkazan - my homage to Shingen's Furinkazan banner. Winning BAARC with this very chapter was very satisfying. The pacing of the army movements with the four elements of the Takeda tactics worked rather well, I thought.
    • XXX: Of legacy and destiny - besides Kenshin, the other aspect of Shingen's legacy I wanted to explore was the relationship with his father Nobutora whom he had exiled to the Imagawa. I ended up portraying quite a constructive/reconciliatory tone, which is probably quite ahistoric, but made for some good drama at least. The change of name from Harunobu to Shingen was also something not to be trifled with, for obvious reasons.
    • XXXIII: Dark of the night - another chapter inspired by history. The Yoshinobu incident cost the Takeda their place in history in my opinion (by robbing them of a capable heir and by thrusting the unliked Katsuyori into the limelight) and I wanted this to end as gloriously as possible. Just photoshopping all the flames took a week I think..!
    • XLVII: A father’s love and XLVIII: Homeward - the conclusion to Takanaga's story and something that echos chapter XIX in a sort of cause and effect way. The addition of the Akiko character was probably influenced by the events of the day (namely, everyone coming up with saucy female characters - Thokran I blame you for starting it!) and a bit gratuitous in retrospect, but at least very Japanese (who do love their fan service - look that phrase up at your peril). A feeble attempt at treachery and deception compared to Radzeer's works, but hey, I tried.
    • Chapter LI: Carrack - the Chosokabe were a royal pain in the rear come late game, and this was a tribute to all the trouble I had behind the scenes. A bit of map editing was required to create the necessary illusion of a beach battle, which took a long time. Rodrigo was another "dormant" character I'd invented without thinking too much of it until later - a technique I used with some others (Naoe Kanetsugu, for one) as well.
    • Chapter LX: Kagemusha - the ending is probably an easy pick for "memorable", but it kind of tied the story together, and was a tribute to one of my favourite movies. I wrote the thing in one (very long) sitting - I'd written so much and thought about the finale so much everything just came to me I suppose. So yea, it deserves a mention.

A self evaluation...of sorts.

The fact this AAR lasted so long is a success in itself, no? I am eternally for those who allowed me four MAARC victories, and honestly (without any intention of sounding arrogant) I am quite proud of this work. I wrote stories in my younger days once, but this was by far the most read - and best received - thing I have produced. Unfortunately one of my core goals when starting out - livening the Shogun 2 AAR space - has all but failed rather miserably. Stories have come and gone, but very few have been able to build a critical mass of supporters. For what it's worth I hope readers of my AAR support this piece of writing - as a favour to me, to support a fledging writer like you once supported me - either way. The story is very good!

Next steps.

Various people have asked about a next AAR. My job now is far more demanding than my last, and my spare time is quite limited - as evidenced by the slow pace of updates in the final chapters. I was part of a 4-man crew who wrote a 540-page, 300,000-word technical report from about October to February this year - and the strain it placed on my free time probably told. In the future I still hope to write a new piece - perhaps for S2 (FotS?), perhaps even for Rome - although the latter time period is not my forte. A brief play of Imperial Splendour impressed me enormously, and an ETW piece remains an option too. So much choice...so little time...

Closing words.

Where do I leave this? Repeating the thank-you messages is poor form, but honestly without all the support I've been getting, none of this would have been possible. Perhaps this post-mortem is overly sentimental, or perhaps narcissic - for that I apologise. Thank you all - thank you for all the encouragement and positive messages. Thank you for making this a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Thank you for making this humble piece such a rewarding journey for your faithful scribe. I'll be taking a few months' rest - but hopefully I will return with something worthwhile. See you soon.

Arigatou-gozaimasu, saiyonara..!
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM.