Thread: LOST MY BATTLE BANNERS!

Icon5 LOST MY BATTLE BANNERS!

i need help getting back the battle banners for my units you know the big ones in the centre that help identiy each unit dont know what i've done but there gone any help apprecieted

Default Re: LOST MY BATTLE BANNERS!

I have the same problem, further more i had both Stainless Steel and CoW installed before and I had banners in both of them. Now that i have installed Third Age my banners are gone...in all the mods i have ( currently just the 3)
    Does annyone have any ideas ? Thx in advance

Never mind i found out. In the \Mods\Third Age folder there is a config file (.cfg) just enter it and instead of show banners = 0 put show banners = 1 and it should work. it doeas for me
    Last edited by Wild Card; August 08, 2011 at 02:33 PM.

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

This was intentional I believe personally I think it looks alot better this way and more realistic (If you look closely you'll see the banners are carried by banner carriers on the ends of the unit)

Moved
    Last edited by Mattack57; August 12, 2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: more informations

Icon9 Re: LOST MY BATTLE BANNERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
    I have the same problem, further more i had both Stainless Steel and CoW installed before and I had banners in both of them. Now that i have installed Third Age my banners are gone...in all the mods i have ( currently just the 3)
    Does annyone have any ideas ? Thx in advance

Never mind i found out. In the \Mods\Third Age folder there is a config file (.cfg) just enter it and instead of show banners = 0 put show banners = 1 and it should work. it doeas for me
    i can`t find it as i uninstalled my third age, hoping that my banner would return in the normal MTW2 but it didn`t , i have re installed the game but it dint work either ... almost lose hope...

Miles

I am glad to see other players really need the battle banners, too. It's not so realistic from a birds-eye view without them when you can't find the enemy in the field, or spot your units. Uniforms are not visible from the player's angle. I had the same problem as others above after loading Third Age. The fix mentioned earlier here doesn't work, but it's like a fix in another thread somewhere, which does work. I just got my banners back with the following:

Go to the main Medieval II Total War file and find 'medieval2.preference' - it's a .cfg file (open it with a text program manually if it won't open) - then search for "banners" and find a line that says "show banners" - change to 1 (instead of 0).

Quote Originally Posted by phrek1 View Post
    i can`t find it as i uninstalled my third age, hoping that my banner would return in the normal MTW2 but it didn`t , i have re installed the game but it dint work either ... almost lose hope...
    uninstall everthing about m2tw,delete even the files that ''unistall'' will not autodelete,then install m2tw and kingdoms and you will have banner's.now if you install tatw 3.1 banners will disappear again.the solusion for this is one post down and it's very easy to excecute it by your self.sorry for my english..(medieval2.preference)this file also open with wordpad..

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitris_x View Post
    uninstall everthing about m2tw and tatw,delete even the files that ''unistall'' will not autodelete,then install m2tw and kingdoms and you will have banner's.now if you install tatw 3.1 banners will disappear again.the solusion for this is one post down and it's very easy to excecute it by your self.sorry for my english..(medieval2.preference)this file also open with wordpad..

it takes both of the two fixies you offer in higher posts for me to work but now i have banners.

Highland Kelt's Avatar Libertus

So much amazing artwork on these banners, it seems a shame to not display them. So yes, I turned mine on too...

Speaking of banners and flags...
    I cant remember how to turn on the flags that appear on settlement walls when under siege, and a unit is standing on the wall next to a tower.
    The tower has a flag on it (when activated) and spits arrows out. It would be nice to see them again.

Can anyone remind me how?
    ...This is my Island...

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Official statement on this please?

I have no "banners" line at all in my medieval2.preference file so there is no place to change any value. Must we add that line in altogether?
    And what about the wall banners?

Please.... put this in the FAQ.

Highland Kelt's Avatar Libertus

Yes, managed to hunt for the answer about banners and tower flags...
    open this C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg

[features]
    editor = true
    mod = mods/Third_Age_3

[io]
    file_first = true

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    ;level = * trace
    level = * error

[video]
    ;windowed = true
    ;movies = false
    show_banners = 1

[misc]
    show_hud_date = true
    ;bypass_sprite_script = 1
    ;rebuild_geography_db = true

[game]
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    no_campaign_battle_time_limit = 0
    unit_size = huge
    advisor_verbosity = 0
    ;event_cutscenes = 0

Dago Red, this is what my TATW.cfg file looks like... so I changed : show_banners = 0, to show_banners = 1
    Yes, add the lines in if they are not there, open the . cfg file with Notepad.

Then, MOST IMPORTANTLY, (the bit that I forgot!)... Save the change, then right click the file, select Properties, and click the Read-only check box, otherwise the Banners value reverts to 0 after a restart.
    ...This is my Island...

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Yes thank you I already managed to do this with a helpful comment by Bungo in the main questions thread.

However, the file would not let me edit/write to it... so that had to be changed first and it was NOT easy setting the right permission in windows 7 enterprise with all these different profiles. It would really behoove the mod to list this in the FAQ and provide help to players looking to restore their banners.

And I must add... what were they thinking when they defaulted the banners off in the first place?!

These are the smallest, most unobtrusive, eye pleasing banners I've yet seen in a TW game, mod or no. Of any mod, this should be the one with banners enabled!

Man I don't have this Third Age mod and yet my banners disappeared and I noticed this when downloaded the mod Age of Petty Kings. I tried everything, please what do I do?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

AoPK may have the same setting: open your mod's CFG file with Notepad and add this line in the [video] section if it doesn't exist, else set it's value to 1:

show_banners = 1

If there is no [video] section in the CFG file create one, the total looking like this:

[video]
    show_banners = 1